Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hak Ju Lee

8 66.67%
  • Logan Watkins

4 33.33%
    vCash

Hak Ju Lee vs. Logan Watkins

This might seem like a no brainer when comparing Top 50 prospect Hak-Ju Lee to the fringy Logan Watkins, but wait. A few years ago, in the lower leve;s of the Cubs farm system, Logan Watkins and Hak Ju lee were considered similar prospects. In fact, I remember readin an article about them being close and helping eachother along or something. Then, Lee took off as a top prospects, leaving Watkins in his dust before being a key piece of the Garza trade.

2 years later, the two are on a similar path in terms of levels, the difference being that Lee, who's half a year older than Watkins has arrived at each half a year earlier. However, Watkins seems to be the better offensive player. This is not taking defense into account, but in his first full year in AA, Lee has a line of .269/.338/.361/.699 and a career line of .289/.361/.384/.744. Watkins AA slash line, in his first taste of the level has a line of .283/.371/.397/.768, and a career of .286/.369/.380/.749. His BA and OBP remain consistant, however, his slugging has increased.

While defense is always a big factor, and I don't know much about that of Watkins, Watkins has simply been the better hitter. At least he's been the more consistant hitter. Lee was at first befroe tapering off. I remember last year, Watkins had a dismal start before going on a hot streak which brought his numbers up.

Any idea of the ceilings of these two? It's easy to try and compare Watkins to Ryan Theriot, but Watkins already has 10 home runs in his 4+ minor league season, whereas Theriot had 5 throughout his 5+ year minor league career. Maybe a left handed Jeff Baker is a decent comparison. That might not seem like much, but when we see teams giveing multi year deals to guys like Aaron Miles and Clint Barmes over the past few years, that does have value.

As for Lee, who knows. They're still waiting for his bat to take off. Could be that he ends up an Omar Vizquel type, but he too could also be destined for a utility role.

vCash
    Watkins seems like Todd Walker more than Theriot. He puts up fantastic #'s against righties- like 300/400/400 and passable #'s against lefties. Maybe a little faster than Walker but i think the comp is solid.
    Alshon's Athletic Bloodlines Run Deep (AND CATCH EVERYTHING)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WOwolfOL View Post
    Watkins seems like Todd Walker more than Theriot. He puts up fantastic #'s against righties- like 300/400/400 and passable #'s against lefties. Maybe a little faster than Walker but i think the comp is solid.
    Walker would be a good comp, except from what I've seen Watkins' D would be much better than Walker.
    Thanks JO-MO

vCash
    Lee's a legitimate starting SS prospect, which has plenty of value even if he'll never mash (expected anyway). I think he's the next Orlando Cabrera, nothing to be ashamed of there.

Watkins probably is not a starter but a utility/platoon player. Nothing wrong with that, he's a fine prospect for what he is, but give me Lee all day err day.

vCash
    its really nice website

vCash
    Lee lot of upside