Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    I'm disappointed that WPA was left off of everyone's list.

wOBA is great and has more predictive value, but if you want to know who had the most situational value, WPA is the way to go. It won't tell you much about how someone will do in the future, but it does give a better picture of who was producing in high leverage situations.

I like to use it in tandem with wOBA because WPA is a counting stat and wOBA is not. That way, you can kind of knock down some of the noise of wOBA in small sample sizes.
    Last edited by Milnertime; 10-26-2012 at 02:18 AM.

vCash

9/13/14: #Mayhem (While Pacman fights Algieri in China. lol)
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    wOBA and wRC+

That's all you really need if you are comparing two players.

But if you are not comparing two players, then you need a ton more information to get an accurate answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    wOBA and wRC+ are my go to stats.
    This.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    RE24 seems better than WPA all by itself, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Wade>Kobe View Post
    RE24 seems better than WPA all by itself, no?
    RE24 measures run expectancy changes and WPA measures win expectancy changes.

RE24 does not take leverage, aka game situation, into account like WPA does. They both are useful, but I personally prefer WPA.

vCash
    Triples and Inside the park Homeruns are the only waya to judge a player

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The 6-4-3 View Post
    Triples and Inside the park Homeruns are the only waya to judge a player
    Sam Crawford's the greatest player of all time.

vCash
    I use wOBA because its simple for me to know what is high and low (.400 wOBA is high). I guess I haven't look at wRC enough yet

The Cult of Gattis

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post

RE24 does not take leverage, aka game situation, into account like WPA does. They both are useful, but I personally prefer WPA.
    I don't believe leverage is very meaningful when talking about a player. The player has no power over whether it is the 2nd or the 9th innning, and I don't believe hitters hit any differently in the 2nd or in the 9th inning. I don't believe in "clutch".

So, I tend to not be a huge fan of WPA for judging a player.

vCash
    Ops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Proximo View Post
    Ops
    Can I ask why? Its not a bad answer at all, I just think there are less flawed stats out there that tell you something similar
    You have no idea how excited I am right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WadeKobe:24892681
    Quote Originally Posted by Milnertime View Post

I don't believe leverage is very meaningful when talking about a player. The player has no power over whether it is the 2nd or the 9th innning, and I don't believe hitters hit any differently in the 2nd or in the 9th inning. I don't believe in "clutch".

So, I tend to not be a huge fan of WPA for judging a player.
    WPA tells you what happened in terms of real game situations. It's a measure of production, not clutch. Leverage is not the same thing as clutch. It's pretty easy to see that a home run in the ninth inning of a one run game is more important than a home run in the ninth inning of a 7 run game. It's probably the most accurate measure of production you can use to this point. Yes, it's out of the player's control what the leverage situation is in their plate appearances. That doesn't change the fact that the player actually contributed what they contributed and that it added to his team's wins.

As I said before, its not very predictive and doesn't carry over from season to season for the reasons you mentioned. A home run is a home run no matter when it's hit. But the game situation can make it less or more valuable to the player's team which is the entire point of offense, no?

It's not the only stat that should be used, but it should be used.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12