Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

So far, this offseason is horrible

MG better hope he signs Doan because if he doesn't this has been quite crappy. No offensive upgrades... Both goalies are still on the roster.. he hasn't really done anything.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Yeah, Jason Garrison is a terrible d-man. Damn shame...

Seriously though, Gillis is waiting for the right deal for Luongo. Something will come eventually. The closer we get to the season, the more teams with crappy goalies like Florida and Chicago will become desperate and up their offers. I like that he's holding out for the right deal. As for forward upgrade, like it or not, we scored the 4th most goals of all teams in the NHL last season, and the most in the Western Conference, in a season where Daniel missed 10 games, and Kesler missed 5 games, and both had their worst season in a few years. While it's blatantly obvious we need a 2nd line forward upgrade, it isn't something that we should be going ape **** over. If Gillis doesn't sign Doan, it is a real possibility we get someone good in the Luongo trade, which I guarantee happens before the season. Not to mention guys like Schroeder and Kassian will be given chances to step up and show what they can do. I would love someone like Doan, but I am willing to be patient and see what happens as well.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's how I see things.
    TAKE PRIDE

vCash
    Really has been a bummer .. still hopin they improve that top 6

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueJayFanDan View Post
    Yeah, Jason Garrison is a terrible d-man. Damn shame...

Seriously though, Gillis is waiting for the right deal for Luongo. Something will come eventually. The closer we get to the season, the more teams with crappy goalies like Florida and Chicago will become desperate and up their offers. I like that he's holding out for the right deal. As for forward upgrade, like it or not, we scored the 4th most goals of all teams in the NHL last season, and the most in the Western Conference, in a season where Daniel missed 10 games, and Kesler missed 5 games, and both had their worst season in a few years. While it's blatantly obvious we need a 2nd line forward upgrade, it isn't something that we should be going ape **** over. If Gillis doesn't sign Doan, it is a real possibility we get someone good in the Luongo trade, which I guarantee happens before the season. Not to mention guys like Schroeder and Kassian will be given chances to step up and show what they can do. I would love someone like Doan, but I am willing to be patient and see what happens as well.

Take it for what it's worth, but that's how I see things.
    I agree with everything Dan says here. How has it been horrible. The free agent pool was horrible this year. Unless you're looking to shore up your bottom six forward group there was nothing that appealing. Trading Luongo is the one hurdle left. Garrison was realistically the best available to the team and they pounced and got it done. Yes, the Vancouver Canucks need a "Shane Doan" type of offensive piece in the top six. That's still out there. Otherwise I'm okay with everything except still having Mason Raymond.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    As it stands right now if the Canucks don't find some substantial upgrades, I wouldn't be disappointed to see a long lockout. Then let the rebuild begin.

vCash
    Yeah, many have said that the Canucks window is closing, and I agree. The Sedins aren't getting any younger, and who knows what the future with this team holds. Seems they're already in that rebuilding mode, by acquiring Kassian, and expecting Jensen, Schroeder and Gaunce to challenge for a top 6 position. I understand we needed to trade Hodgson, as he didn't want to be here. I'm hoping Kassian comes into his own this season and excels. Who knows, maybe Gillis will bring in Arnott and this might be an okay season (if we have a season that is) I will cry if there's no hockey this year.

vCash
    Sad but I don't really see the Canucks getting the same free pass they get in their cupcake division anymore, not with the Wild getting big upgrades. Minny won't be that much of a threat but the Canucks are going backwards and so much of it has to do with over-rating the talent Gillis inherited. He really needed to make shrewd moves a couple of seasons ago and this off-season is more like a last chance to do something with the vets he has chosen to go to war with. Unfortunately his attitude is that this same group is just fine and all they have to do is keep returning to the playoffs until they break through. He should know better. Many veteran players will tell you that you can't take getting to the post-season or to the finals for granted; many of them get there once or twice and spend the rest of their careers trying to get back. I think the Canucks got their shot two playoffs ago, then last year Gillis failed the team miserably, squandering probably their best second chance. He needs to be realistic about the gaping holes on this team. Hopefully that is to come.

And NUCK-U I agree, it would be brutal not to have an NHL season. I'm just not sure which is more painful: watching a Canucks team built on wishful thinking and gaping holes, or watching the NHLPA and the NHL fight out their stalemate over money while fans are expected to smile and wait just to get gouged at the door for hockey tickets if and when the season ever starts.

I'd love to see players make what they deserve -- which is far less than what they're making -- and see owners cut tickets correspondingly. You can say "dream on" but it's seriously the thing that kills my interest in pro sport.