Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Redfish, I see what your saying, but I think he goes on the third pairing. IMO its more of a 2b pairing. Stralman has played well with both Staal and MDZ over the past season and playoffs. IMO Sauer (once back to form) is more stable on defense then Stralman, Sauer would allow MDZ to have alittle more offensive freedom then playing with Stralman. Staal and Stralman together will both be able to pick and choose when to go and when stay.

When all is said and done, I see Mcdonagh/Girardi logging 25 minutes and Staal/MDZ/Sauer/Stralman are all going to log atleast 17.5 minutes. Depending on pp/pk time, and how each play that game (who makes the mistake that leads to bench time). Defense was our strength last season and I only see it getting stronger.

vCash
    Sauer has had a history of concussions. So I would think the Rangers no matter how good he plays, will play him 14 minutes or less a game. Then come playoff time, they will give him lots of ice time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    Sauer has had a history of concussions. So I would think the Rangers no matter how good he plays, will play him 14 minutes or less a game. Then come playoff time, they will give him lots of ice time.
    Really? I do not recall that. I believe that is the case with his brother, but I do not recall our Michael Sauer being injured for concussion reasons.

vCash
    2006-07: Michael Sauer spent quite a bit of his junior hockey career recovering from injuries. It was only in his final season that he played almost the entire year. A very athletic and able defenseman, Michael is the brother of NHLer Kurt Sauer, a veteran blueliner now with the Phoenix Coyotes. After a very impressive Fall 2007 Rangers’ training camp, Sauer spent his first professional season with the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack’s, at times playing on the team’s top defensive pair. He played well, but injuries have continued to plague Sauer into his professional career.

2007-08: During the season, he missed games due to post-concussive symptoms, as well as a knee injury, which required surgery, which will delay the start of his 2008-09 season.
    Last edited by averymustgo; 08-04-2012 at 07:28 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by averymustgo View Post
    2006-07: Michael Sauer spent quite a bit of his junior hockey career recovering from injuries. It was only in his final season that he played almost the entire year. A very athletic and able defenseman, Michael is the brother of NHLer Kurt Sauer, a veteran blueliner now with the Phoenix Coyotes. After a very impressive Fall 2007 Rangers’ training camp, Sauer spent his first professional season with the AHL Hartford Wolf Pack’s, at times playing on the team’s top defensive pair. He played well, but injuries have continued to plague Sauer into his professional career.

2007-08: During the season, he missed games due to post-concussive symptoms, as well as a knee injury, which required surgery, which will delay the start of his 2008-09 season.
    Oh, thanks for the background info. I'm not sure post-concussive symptoms five seasons ago meets the definition of a history of concussion challenges, particularly for a hockey player, but I understand why it is referenced.

In any event, we'll get a good read on Sauer within eight weeks, I'd imagine. I think this may be one situation the Rangers and Sauer purposely understated his recovery progress through the summer trade period (i.e., Nash negotiations), but that is just inference on my part.

vCash
    I believe he had a concussion at least once playing for the Whale. I'm almost positive on that.

vCash
    I'll believe it when I see it with Sauer returning, his concussion was alot worse than Staals it seemed just from the impact. Plus his history. Hopefully he does he's a good guy and was solid.

vCash
    At one point he was better defensively than Girardi or Staal IMO. He was playing on that level. Getting him back will make one of the best defenses that much better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12