Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If he keeps putting up those numers he could be a #3 starter easily. A very solid one and on some teams he could be a 2. But definitely like the picks we've been making in recent years. Seems since MO has been the gm, the guys scouting for us have been doing a great job.

vCash
    Wacha already to AA

He might go to AAA next year, and possibly make the rotation in 2014.

With the number of arms coming, I would let Westbrook walk, and would not give Lohse more than 2 years under any circumstance unless there is a club option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Wacha already to AA

He might go to AAA next year, and possibly make the rotation in 2014.

With the number of arms coming, I would let Westbrook walk, and would not give Lohse more than 2 years under any circumstance unless there is a club option.
    how is he already in double AA?

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt05 View Post
    how?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html

I don't understand what you mean by how?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDirt05 View Post
    how?

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/baseb...a4bcf6878.html

I don't understand what you mean by how?
    I thought he was starting at one of the lowball league and didn't expect him to move up so fast

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    This kid looks like he could be something special for sure. Miller is special as well but he's got to keep listening to the coaching staff and throw the right pitches and not fall in love with that fastball.

vCash
    http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/...onald-medrano/

16 year old pitcher thats already hitting 90
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    yup

One of the top specs this year out of Nic

vCash
    Not reading much in the news about Carlos Martinez this year.. Kinda curious on thoughts on him...... Heard that Jenkins is starting to show signs of his development picking up steam..

Jeffy what do you think of Wacha?

vCash
    From Roto Graphs

Yes. No. Maybe? I don’t know. 2012 has been an enigmatic year for the 21-year-old Texan. After being rated highly coming into the year Shelby Miller is the not-so-proud owner of a 5.19 ERA with Triple-A Memphis. To make matters worse, his maturity and makeup have been questioned – or depending on who you speak to, continue to be questioned. But, his in last few starts Miller has surged. Is he ready to face his most important task to date, helping your fantasy team?

Miller’s success is due to his fantastic ability to change batters’ eye level by deploying an above average fastball and plus curve. As Miller will tell you he had a little problem.

“I was really stubborn earl[ier in the year] with my fastball. It’s all I wanted to throw, but it ended up inside a lot. These guys were hitting it pretty well.”

When Miller was relying on his fastball, hitters were sitting on the pitch. Hence the bloated ERA. But recently Miller has incorporated his curveball more. A lot more. When he’s at his best he is throwing a wipeout curve at the knees on both sides of the plate, to both righties and lefties. Why is this so important? Two intermingled reasons. First, Miller’s fastball is much more devastating when it’s up in the strike zone. It’s not just due to the scientific concept of effective velocity that extremely intelligent Trevor Bauer has promoted. Miller’s fastball just has more life when its up, featuring arm-side run and even Matt Cain-eqse rise. But, Miller needs to get the ball above the belt for the movement to be apparent. Without the curveball, Miller’s primary offering in the lower half of the strikezone was the least effective version of his fastball. While the pitch still had good velocity, it had no horizontal movement and hitters teed off.

The increased use of his curveball allows Miller to pound the lower half more effectively with his fastball by keeping the curveball in the back of hitters’ minds. For the same reason, he’s able to climb the ladder more effectively too. It can’t be overstated how important the increased use of his curveball has been to his recent success.

But, that doesn’t mean there aren’t concerns. While Miller’s fastball command has leaped forward in his past few starts he still misses in the middle of the plate far too often. Most of the time, because he’s throwing hard, he’s able to get away with it at Triple-A. In a start against Tacoma, shortstop prospect Nick Franklin swung and missed at a half dozen of such pitches. But, then there are the guys who connect. Left-handed monster Luis Antonio Jimenez hit a middle-in fastball for the furthest homerun I have ever seen (an the announcer of the game agreed). The concern, of course, is that major league hitters don’t swing through Miller’s fastball.

The other concern is that Miller doesn’t seem to throw a change-up. While watching three of his last six starts, I counted very few change-ups. Initially that wasn’t overly concerning because both his pitches grade highly. But following my write up of Taylor Guerrieri I was speaking with accomplished Fangraphs author Mike Newman who expressed concern that he only saw a true two pitch mix from the Rays’ righty. Fastball/Curveball. He noted that there weren’t many right-handed pitchers who were successful with that arsenal and that it proved more effective for left-handed starters. Mike’s point had me second guessing how successful Guerrieri and similar arms may be. Miller included.

Nevertheless, Miller is a must add to your fantasy squad. At the very least you can start him against the Cubs, Pirates, and Astros and other weak line-ups while you monitor his major league success. Ah, the beauty of being in the NL. The chance Miller falls back in love with his fastball is light, as MiLB.com reported, around the All-Star break, the team forbid Miller from shaking off catcher Bryan Anderson. It’s unlikely he would have the guts to shake off Yadir Molina once he’s finally given the chance to prove himself against baseball’s best. Miller may not be the pitcher many, myself included, thought he would be, but should he be called up, he can be a very useful pitcher for the remainder of the year.

Personally, I wouldn't bring him up this season. I would let him compete for a spot in the spring with the assumption that he goes down until his clock has been pushed back another year (so a late May, early June 2013 call-up) or if there is an injury

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Not reading much in the news about Carlos Martinez this year.. Kinda curious on thoughts on him...... Heard that Jenkins is starting to show signs of his development picking up steam..

Jeffy what do you think of Wacha?
    He is Kyle Lohse 2.0, younger obviously, and under team control.

I think he is a safe bet to be number 4 in a good rotation long term. Covered for 6 years.

Very likely to reach the big leagues one day. But he is also not very likely to turn into a solid number 1 in many rotations. He doesn't have Wawinwright's upside. But he should be a good innings eater that doesn't walk many.

vCash
    He is Kyle Lohse 2.0, younger obviously, and under team control.

I think he is a safe bet to be number 4 in a good rotation long term. Covered for 6 years.

Very likely to reach the big leagues one day. But he is also not very likely to turn into a solid number 1 in many rotations. He doesn't have Wainwright's upside. But he should be a good innings eater that doesn't walk many.
    Very few guys are true 1's these days... Gotta like the depth they have developed last few years... Now if they could only develop a SS.. LOL

What do you think of Carson Kelly?

vCash
    We have a shortstop that has developed so far in Jackson, who is currently a bench player for us. He surpassed Kozma as the future SS for the Cardinals.

vCash
    Idk if I buy into Jackson. Idk if his weak bat ever allows him to be a starter here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Teufelshunde4 View Post
    Very few guys are true 1's these days... Gotta like the depth they have developed last few years... Now if they could only develop a SS.. LOL

What do you think of Carson Kelly?
    Kelly has the upside to potentially get there, but he needs a lot of work. I think Garcia is a lot more likely to be our big league shortstop than say Kelly.

Kelly could also very well end up at third, pitcher, or out of baseball as he is to make it as a shortstop. He is a wild card.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast