Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlfan544 View Post
    We have a shortstop that has developed so far in Jackson, who is currently a bench player for us. He surpassed Kozma as the future SS for the Cardinals.
    I wouldn't count on Jackson. His bat isn't much better than Brendan Ryan's, and his defense isn't as good either. He is an unlikely future big league starter. He is pretty much a utility player long term unless he can further develop.

vCash
    Taveras with another bomb tonight and 4 RBI after not playing (off days or other I do not know) the previous 2 days.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    Kelly has the upside to potentially get there, but he needs a lot of work. I think Garcia is a lot more likely to be our big league shortstop than say Kelly.

Kelly could also very well end up at third, pitcher, or out of baseball as he is to make it as a shortstop. He is a wild card.

I dont know if he ever played SS but he came into the draft as a 3B/SP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stlbest5in2013 View Post
    Kelly has the upside to potentially get there, but he needs a lot of work. I think Garcia is a lot more likely to be our big league shortstop than say Kelly.

Kelly could also very well end up at third, pitcher, or out of baseball as he is to make it as a shortstop. He is a wild card.

I dont know if he ever played SS but he came into the draft as a 3B/SP
    He played some SS but he said before the draft he wouldn't sign unless he played 3b so I'm guessing he stays there

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash

Sorry for the misunderstanding... I didnt mean Kelly going to SS... Clearly with his size as a 17 yr old he will only get bigger and stronger... IMO Kelly looks like very young Rolen type build without being 6'4'

I was just asking Jeffy's opinion in general on the kid..... Jeffy has always seemed very knowledgeable about prospects..

vCash
    Oscar Taveras, Cardinals, CF
    Taveras, the newly christened Texas League Player of the Year, slugged 22 homers with a gaudy .322/.380/.575 slash line -- not bad for a Double A player who didn't turn 20 until mid-June. The lefthanded hitter has primarily played centerfield in the minors, though he's spent notable time in the corners and could end up there permanently down the road. The Post-Dispatch reported in late July that promoting Taveras was "being talked about internally." With Matt Holliday, Carlos Beltran, Jon Jay and Allen Craig, the Cardinals already have four outfielders, so Taveras (BA's No. 18 prospect) may not get the call this year, but he has the speed and power bat to make an impact even if he's only a part-time player.
    Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/201...#ixzz24yb0tPJm

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    I bet Eugenio Velez gets called up for some time at 2nd base. I'd be very shocked if he didn't atleast get called up. Not sure who else but Velez should get an opportunity especially since he is 30 and isn't going to hurt us to bring him up.

vCash
    Cardinals release 19 minor leaguers
    The St. Louis Cardinals organization has pruned 19 players from the ranks, including a former second rounder.
    http://buzztap.com/link.jsp?id=15954...medium=twitter
    Our forums:
    Blues Cardinals Rams

vCash
    Young Guns - By Goold

Sudden needs in the rotation and open opportunities in the bullpen allowed the Cardinals a sneak peek this season at the talent the team has been talking about for several years: the pitching prospects they had stacking up in the pipeline. Six pitchers made their major-league debuts this season for the Cardinals and several — like Joe Kelly and Trevor Rosenthal — left lasting impressions. Here are the seven starting pitching prospects to know in the Cardinals system, all of whom have less than 50 innings pitched in the majors and, thus, have not exhausted their rookie eligibility:

Shelby Miller, RHP

2012: 11-10, 4.74 ERA, 27 starts at Class AAA. 1-0, 1.32 ERA, six games in MLB.

A midseason adjustment to his mechanics and his approach restored Miller's status as the club's top-shelf pitching prospect and earned him a September callup and spot on the postseason roster. He works in the mid-90s mph with arguably the most refined stuff of the group. He'll compete for a spot in the 2013 rotation.

Trevor Rosenthal, RHP

2012: 8-6, 2.97 ERA, 20 starts at Class AA and Class AA. 0-2, 2.78 ERA, 19 games in MLB.

Became a breakout star in the playoffs for how he powered through the Washington Nationals and San Francisco Giants with a 100-mph fastball. He not only brings the heat, he has control. Rosenthal also features a hard curve and enough command to compete for a starting job, unless his power out of the 'pen is too valuable to relocate.

Carlos Martinez, RHP

2012: 6-5, 2.93 ERA, 22 games (21 starts) in High-A and Class AA.

The top pitching prospect in the organization who didn't make the majors this season, but did continue a rapid flight through the system. The lithe Martinez, who turned 21 in September, also throws in the high 90s, touching 100 mph. He has a superb changeup. But command and stamina will determine if he's a front-line starter or standout reliever.

Michael Wacha, RHP

2012: 0-0, 0.86 ERA, 11 games (two starts) at GCL, High-A and Class AA.

Taken 19th overall in June out of Texas A&M, Wacha rocketed through the system and was part of the Class AA team that won the Texas League championship. Utilized as a reliever to limit his innings, Wacha could return to Double-A Springfield as its ace. The righty has a plus changeup and he struck out 40 and walked four in his first 21 pro innings.

Tyrell Jenkins, RHP

2012: 4-4, 5.14 ERA, 19 starts at Low-A.

The only teen at last year's major-league spring training, Jenkins is the athletic prototype for the type of pitcher the Cardinals are trying to cultivate, though he's also the rawest. Shoulder soreness slowed his season, but he has a plus fastball and a developing curve. He'll advance steadily and with experience command and reliable delivery will follow.

Kevin Siegrist, LHP

2012: 7-2, 2.77 ERA, 18 games (15 starts) at High-A and Class AA.

Class AAA Memphis' John Gast is the top lefty starter in the system because of his durability and consistency. Siegrist could catch him with stuff, if he stays healthy. A strapping 6-foot-5 with "all the ingredients," High-A pitching coach Dennis Martinez said, Siegrist was successful when not on the DL. He's in the Arizona Fall League and could position himself for Class AAA.

Victor De Leon, RHP

2012: 3-0, 3.25 ERA, 10 starts at Rookie League.

The headliner from the Cardinals' starters in the lower minors, De Leon drew a crowd for his early bullpens during spring because of his size (a basketball-like 6-foot-2, 190 pounds) and sheer arm strength. He hits 98 mph, throws around 95 mph regularly, and has a hard slider. If he doesn't develop other reliable pitches, it's already a repertoire that projects for relief.

— Derrick Goold

vCash
    I think this year in the majors we will see Miller, Rosenthal and Kelly for sure. I think Kelly and Miller make the team out of spring training in the rotation (Miller) and in the bullpen (Kelly).

I think Rosenthal will end up in the minors as the 6th starter, first injury in the rotation and he gets the call. Rosenthal's hard fastball might make him to valuable to take away from the bullpen though long term. But I really would like to see him in the rotation one day. Maybe 2014 when we lose Carpenter, Westbrook and maybe Wainwright (personally I think some kind of extension gets done this offseason)

I think Wacha will be part of the rotation in 2014. If not I think he is the 6th starter and will make his debut sometime that year.

I think our 2014 rotation will be

Wainwright
    Miller
    Rosenthal
    Wacha

5th starter has interesting possibilities. It could be Lance Lynn. It could be Jaime Garcia. It could be Martinez but I have high doubts he's ever a starter. I think he ends up a top relief pitcher in MLB and don't think he will be fully ready by 2014.

IMO. It's Lynn. The guy is very talented and if he trusts his fastball he can be a 3 caliber starter. Needs some better conditioning but I think the team is starting to grow weary of Garcia and becoming very frustrated by some of his mental issues (no mental toughness, can't pitch on road consistently, small things that shouldn't bother him bother him horribly) So IMO it will be.

What I can't decide is where is the best place for Rosenthal? He has a ton of potential as a starter but has also shown he could already be a top dominating relief pitcher in MLB

Wainwright
    Miller
    Rosenthal
    Lynn
    Wacha

vCash
    Yeah our future starting rotation has some shine to it with the young guns for sure. It's exciting to finally have some legit starters coming up from our system.

Wacha really is impressing me and can't wait to see him pitch in the minors this next season here and the rest of the guys look very impressive as well. You still got a few guys like Jenkins who could figure things out and move to the top as well.

vCash
    I'm ready to go to some Peoria chiefs games right next to me this summer.... Try to gets some autographs lol

vCash
    I might try to make it to a springfield cardinal game this next year here. Maybe make a trip there and then go to a cardinal game the next day.

vCash
    Seth Blair is looking fantastic in his AFL season.

2-0 0.68 ERA 4 games 4 started 13.1-IP 18-K's 8-BB 1-Hit batter 0-HR 1-ER 3-runs 11-hits 1.43-WHIP

vCash
    Cardinals sign 16 year old Henry Alvardo

Big boy, LF/1B, big power.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast