Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Minor Leaguers Thread

I really do not keep up with them either I just read stuff from other forums.

Anyway Carson Kelly is already raking in the minors and showing a good eye as well. 18k's in 107 AB's, but only have 5 walks but yet again this is his first taste of pro ball. His number are actually better than Taveras's number at the same stop in their careers. But NOBODY is saying he is Taveras.

vCash
    Shelby Miller's last start was a very good one. Something to build on.

He went 7 strong innings. Gave up 2 ER 2 runs and 1 HR also struck out 8. AND NO walks.

Stephen Piscotty is a doing well in A ball quad city as well. .281avg 1 hr 9 rbi and 2 stolen bases. While walking 9 times and striking out 11 times. Solid start so far. He does have 6 errors though.
    Last edited by stlfan544; 08-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.

vCash
    It's pretty easy to keep up with them lol

1. Oscar Taveras
    .323/.384/.577 - .419 wOBA, 164 wRC+ in AA

Taveras is destined to be a right fielder and he should only have average power, but he could also be a .330 hitter.

ETA is either late 2013, or ST 2014. He could get called up even this Sept to expand the rosters, but I wouldn't. He is very likely to reach the big leagues, and is a safe bet to be at least a big league regular. He could be an MVP caliber player if he can develop his power. He could be a perennial all-star if he just keeps average power, and he should at the very least be a 2-3 WAR player in the big leagues.

I project for him
    .300/.360/.500 - Right fielder who might be able to play a little Center Field. He runs hard, but he isn't all that fast overall.

2. Shelby Miller
    6-9, 5.44 ERA - 5.26 FIP
    9.69 K/9, 4.17 BB/9, 1.81 HR/9 - 21 starts and 99.1 IP

Miller still has ace stuff, even this year. He is safe to be a middle of the rotation regular at his worst. He is in a hitters league this year, and he is a fly ball pitcher who has struggled with his secondary stuff. I believe in him, and don't take too much stalk to his struggles in the wrong park and wrong league for a guy like him.

He projects to be a .600 pitcher at the least, with 8 K/9, 3 BB/9. That's basically Lance Lynn this year.

3. Kolten Wong
    .285/.356/.404 - .344 wOBA, 113 wRC+

Wong is a safe bet to make a run at being the starting second basemen as quickly as next year, I think 2014 is the ideal time for him though.

His defense is sound, but he isn't amazing or flashy. He is just solid and good enough though that he can stick at second his entire career.

Offensively he isn't that great. He is more like a Ryan Theriot than Cards fans like might to admit.
    He is a singles hitter with solid plate discipline. He could be a .300 hitter in the big leagues, but not much more than a .350 OBP and a .400 Slug.

It's valuable because we would have him for 6 years at great cost controls.

He could also steal 20 bases annually if he tries.

vCash
    Third baseman Stephen Piscotty started his afternoon with four hits in his first four at-bats, giving him base hits in six consecutive at-bats, dating back to the series opener on Tuesday. He ended the afternoon 4-for-5 with a double and two RBIs. Wednesday was Piscotty’s first professional four-hit game.

Through 25 games (94 ABs):
    .309 avg .387 obp and .457 slug
    1 Home run, 11 Doubles, 11 RBIs, 16 runs, 2/2 on sb's
    9 walks, 12 SOs
    "If you find yourself in the majority, rethink your position" - Mark Twain

vCash
    I'm actually excited about piscotty. He looks like he could be a very solid major leaguer. Let's hope he continues to develop.

vCash
    My wife and I are going to the Single A Quad City River Bandits game tonight.
    I will get a close look at Hector Hernandez and Stephen Piscotty! I will let you guys know how they look in person.

vCash
    good

vCash
    Since the Cards installed a no shake off rule for Shelby Miller. His strike percentage has gone up from 62.2% to 68.9%. 5 straight starts with at least 60 strikes, been at 69% his last 4 starts.

This is his last 6 starts

34.2 IP
    4-1 Record
    3.11 ERA
    0.98 WHIP
    35/3 SO/W Ratio
    4 Home Runs Allowed

Looking good. If he keeps this up for the rest of the season maybe he will end up having a shot at making the rotation out of Spring Training next year. His last 3 starts he's gone 8, 8, 10 in strikeouts with not 1 single walk.

I was willing to move him for the right player this year, but not anymore. Yes its early but this no shake off rule is teaching him how to pitch and not to rely on his ++ fastball.

vCash
    Cards should sign Leonardo Heras

vCash
    Shelby has definitely been looking alot better since they have that rule in affect on him. It seems to be working. He just needs to trust the catcher/coach thats sending the signals on what pitch to throw.

vCash

Introducing Greg Garcia

I don't know how much attention everyone on here pays to the Cardinals farm system.

But Greg Garcia is having a nice season for the Double A Birds.

.293/.419/.445 - .393 wOBA, 145 wRC+

He is a shortstop, but most likely a second basemen long term. He has played short exclusively this season, and there is some optimism about him remaining at the position.

Greg has mediocre power. While he has 10 home runs thus far this season, that's a blessing. He may never hit 10 in a full MLB season if ever even given the opportunity. What he is, is a good disciplined, punch and run hitter. He has Ryan Theriot's power, but the positive is that he has a great BB/K rate (0.92 is just awesome) and can sustain this batting average and OBP at the next level.

My personal projection for Garcia is an average defensive shortstop that will hit .280/.380/.430 at the big league level. That has a lot of value for a ball club that has nobody of any depth at this position.

And to add to it, he could be ready by Opening Day 2014.

If you don't know who he is yet, it's time you read up on him.

He was not a pre-season top prospect on anyone's board, and he still isn't. But what he has done in Springfield is pretty damn obvious.

Also, added bonus. He was Kolten Wong's double play buddy at Hawaii, and they are still playing together in Springfield.

Video of him
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5IC9saVOAI
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 08-15-2012 at 12:25 PM.

vCash
    Yeah Garcia looks very good. He could definitely be a part of our future team. I also really like our 2nd baseman in A ball Quad City, Mateo. He has great range and a good throwing arm to go along with a solid bat.

vCash
    I love his swing. He actually looks like he could very well have some pop in his bat
    Quote Originally Posted by heimdog8 View Post
    I didn't want to throw this information out here. I was a 3 year varsity starter at QB in high school. I played quarterback in junior college as well. I was considering playing division 1 football as well but chose to pursue my career in business instead. However, currently I am helping train with Derek Carr from Fresno State get ready for his pro day and the draft. I am also working with Cody Kessler, the USC quarterback.

vCash
    I'm going to merge with the minor league thread

vCash

Introducing Seth Maness

I merged the Greg Garcia thread to the minor leaguers thread, and thought I would create another thread to introduce another unknown prospect that has moved his way into the prospect discussion.

Today I am talking about Seth Maness

an 11th round pick out of East Carolina last year

Seth is a rightie starter that is currently carrying the best K/BB ratio in all of professional baseball 12.5 K/BB!

In 23 starts this season between High A and Double A (16 of which are in Double A). Maness has thrown 147 innings, struck out 100, and walked on 8!

He is 12-4 with a 2.76 ERA

Maness projects to be a back-end starter, a Kyle Lohse type at the big league level. That has value, and it's nice to see another sleeper coming out of nowhere. He is a pitch-to-contact pitcher who could see the pen next season, or the rotation in 2014 if he continues to progress like he has.

Some more information

http://www.news-leader.com/article/2...ls-seth-maness

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast