Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast
    vCash
    Okay so let me guess this straight.

You're saying that in order to sign O'Reilly the Leafs would have to vastly over pay for him, around the 5 million dollar range in order to keep his services.

Meaning he would be the most expensive Center on the Leafs... a guy who although young his best season is 55 points.

And you also are saying that you discredit Burke for not making a move like that or going after someone like that on an offer sheet?

Just trying to understand. I like O'Reilly, he's young and all that, but just so I stay out of this talk because I really don't agree instead of insulting I'll just leave it as I don't see O'Reilly as an option to help Toronto nor do I think it will happen.

I would much rather get someone else through trade or UFA next year then sign O'Reilly to a 5 million dollar offer sheet and give the Avs draft picks. But hey that's just me.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    Oh and as for you saying I know nothing about O'Reilly, you're not the only one who watches OHL games and prospects... others do too you know. I am fully aware of how O'Reilly did as a youngster I looked it up before because Don Cherry used to praise O'Reilly's style.

I don't hate on him I like him, My point is that Colorado is going to keep him and IMO there are better options out there for Toronto. But again that's just me. I would rather not see Toronto do offer sheets for a guy like O'Reilly... instead I'd prefer a trade or signing.

Just for fun let's make a bet. I bet you that Duchene AND Stastny end this upcoming season with more points then O'Reilly.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
    ^ You know NOTHING about O'Reilly...look at his history before he played in the NHL...he was the 1st overall pick in the OHL draft...he only played 2 years in the OHL before making the NHL and hasn't looked back since. He has been successful at every level he's played. He had a good year last season because he was given a chance to play due to injuries. He has the potential to be a Mike Richards type of player. He is an excellent 2 way forward and his offensive game is just starting to come together. He is better than any center in the whole Leaf's system, not that that is saying much. He's 21 years old with 3 NHL seasons under his belt already. Look for him to have another solid season this year.
    x2

Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post

You're saying that in order to sign O'Reilly the Leafs would have to vastly over pay for him, around the 5 million dollar range in order to keep his services.

Meaning he would be the most expensive Center on the Leafs... a guy who although young his best season is 55 points.

And you also are saying that you discredit Burke for not making a move like that or going after someone like that on an offer sheet?

Just trying to understand. I like O'Reilly, he's young and all that, but just so I stay out of this talk because I really don't agree instead of insulting I'll just leave it as I don't see O'Reilly as an option to help Toronto nor do I think it will happen.

I would much rather get someone else through trade or UFA next year then sign O'Reilly to a 5 million dollar offer sheet and give the Avs draft picks. But hey that's just me.
    Vastly ovepay him? At what point have I ever said a dollar figure? Let's compare ORielly to recent Leaf signing Grabovski.

Age GP G A PTS PIMS Cap Hit Height Weight
    Grabovski 28 319 85 116 201 221 $5.5 5'11 182lbs
    O'Reilly 21 236 39 68 107 46 6'00 205lbs

Grabovski has averaged 55 points his last 2 seasons as a 27 and 28 year old while O'Reilly had 55 points last season as a 21 year old. Do you still think paying a 21 year old center $4.5-$5.0 is still an overpayment? I think you could sign O'Reilly to a 4 year $17 million dollar deal (cap hit of $4.25) and then that leaves one last year till he beomes a UFA.
    Last edited by Lavy16; 08-15-2012 at 03:22 PM.

vCash

Grabovski is paid more than $5.0 million a year and has a career high of 58 points as a 27 year old (accomplshed this while being 6 years older than when O'Reilly put up 55 points). Not to mention how much better of a 2 way player O'Reilly is compared to Grabovski

vCash
    There's no way anyone can say O'Reilly wouldn't help this team. That'd be just foolish. As much as I like the kid, at the end of the day we have a GM who won't use the full CBA to his advantage or the financial assets our organization has. So this obviously (the offer sheet) never ends up happening. I'm not saying I'm for or against the offer sheet. But it's not much of a conversation when it will never happen.

vCash
    That's what I have been saying if Burke didn't pursue offer sheets for guys like Stamkos last year and Weber this year what makes you think he would for O"Reilly.

O'Reilly helps the Leafs out for sure, my point was all long I just don't see it happening.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    O'Reilly is going to be resigned by the Avs, my estimation in dollars will be 3.5 a year. 4 max.

If it's one year, two years, three who knows. Pacioretty had one good year for Montreal and he's being paid 4.5 a year... so with that being said I think O'Reilly gets anywhere from 3 being minimum to 4 being max. And with Colorado lol not Toronto.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    That's what I have been saying if Burke didn't pursue offer sheets for guys like Stamkos last year and Weber this year what makes you think he would for O"Reilly.

O'Reilly helps the Leafs out for sure, my point was all long I just don't see it happening.
    So what you are saying is that Burke isn't doing his job by exploring all options to make this team better. Why is he still employed if his ego is holding this team back?

vCash
    O`Reilly is 5 years youger and last season was $5.8 million dollars cheaper against the cap than Stastny and put up 2 more points. Maybe something like Lupul, Bozak and Stuart Percy gets it done. Lupul gives the Avs the top 6 left winger they need, Bozak gives them a 3rd line center and Percy is a recent 1st round pick.
    I'd be all over that Lupul, Bozak, Percy deal. We don't give up our best assets and i have been calling for the leafs to sell high on Lupul. It also helps that we can slide JVR into Lupuls place.

Then i think i'd explore a Bernier deal. If frattin and a 2nd is around the asking price i think i'd rather that then any Luo deal.

O'Reilly and Bernier would be two great additions to our young team.
    Leaf fans at the start of every new season...

We've been through tough times, man.

vCash
    According to Boston Globe reporter Fluto Shinzawa, defenseman Matt Lashoff has signed with a team in Switzerland for the upcoming season. The 2005 former first rounder of the Bruins was acquired by Toronto from Tampa in August, 2010 and played 11 games for the Leafs in the 2010-11 season. After being sent down to the Marlies after training camp, Lashoff suffered a torn ACL and was lost for the remainder of the regular season, but was able to return and play in eight playoff games during their run to the Calder Cup Final.

Lashoff was rumored to have signed with a team in the German League in June, but later tweeted that the reports were false. No such denials have been made to this point.

vCash
    ^
    No big deal losing Lashoff. Let the John Mayer wanna be take his acoustic and fly across the Atlantic. Probably better money for him over there obviously.

vCash
    So what you are saying is that Burke isn't doing his job by exploring all options to make this team better. Why is he still employed if his ego is holding this team back?
    That's a point I completely agree with and have for well over a year and half now. Everyone knows our stance on Burke along with some other posters on here who share the same view. But if we keep bringing this up it's just going to turn the thread/forum into a monster arguement again. But I certainly agree with you. Hopefully the next CBA is written strictly for Brian Burke so he'll use it to his advantage lol. Like you said in some other post... it is pretty funny how the Flyers faced basically no backlash for offer sheeting Weber. So obviously that's one reason not to be afraid of putting forth a sheet.

vCash
    Again burke isnt the only gm who doesnt do offer sheets so i dont know why some people make such a big deal about it

vCash
    ^
    It's because he's the only GM to come out publicly and state he won't do them. The same thing with the front loaded deals this last CBA created. If you don't do them fine. But keep your mouth shut and don't let everyone know because it'll shoot you in the foot at the end of the day which it already has a little bit regarding FA's. It's just not a good way to do business.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast