Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Burke & The Goaltending Situation

So I was thinking the other day, I know a lot of us have ripped on Brian for not bringing in a #1 goaltender.

Since Day 1, Brian emphasized that he builds from the net on out.

We all give him **** for a lot of things (Lavy), and a lot of it is deserved..but come to think of it....

How many #1 goaltenders grow on trees? Now hear me out, please.

Since Brian has gotten here, he's done EVERYTHING in his power to get us that goaltender that we've been craving. Note that Tuuka Rask was traded for Andrew Raycroft before Brian came here, and Justin Pogge was a bust, so there was no future goaltender in the system at all.

Since Brian Burke has gotten here...he's added:

G - Jonas Gustavsson
    G - Ben Scrivens
    G - Mark Owuya
    G - Jussi Rynnas

Is it his fault Gustavsson flopped in Toronto? A LOOOT of teams were looking to add Jonas, so it obviously wasn't a scouting issue. I mean just take a look, the Detroit Red Wings have added Gustavsson, the kid has potential and I still think has a shot to succeed. Scrivens, Owuya or Rynnas are depth guys with Rynnas and Owuya being the highest potential of both and Scrivens being the most low risk-low reward IMO, he has the best shot at making it as a decent #1, but nothing special. He's kept Reimer around also.

What do you want the guy to do really other then add young goaltending talent? Did you want him to go after Subban in the draft by adding another late 1st? What are your thoughts, because I would much rather Burke be patient with our younger goaltenders then overpay for a guy like say Vokoun, or Bryzgalov in FA, no other marquee tender has hit the market.

It's a slow offseason and with a lockout looming, I figured this is something that I should share as it was on my mind.

vCash
    The goaltending is a tricky situation. Do you trade for Luongo and take on that contract? Do you over pay for Bernier who to this date has played about as often as James Reimer? No team with a true #1 kicker is going to trade that player away because it's too important of a position. I would of liked to see Burke trade up from the 2nd round to get into the bottom half of the 1st round where he could of taken Vaselevski(spelling?), Subban or Dansk. If Luongo does get traded to Florida that may spell the end for Markstrom getting a shot in Florida. And if it doesn't does Florida put Theodore on the block? Not a huge fan of his but he's an upgrade. Everything transaction trade wise is on hold now basically because of this joke of a lockout we're probably going to have. Hopefully when we get a new CBA Burke jumps all over the goaltending situation and gets something done. We can't afford to get beaten on as many clean shots as we did last year. If you can see it you should stop it most of the time and we weren't getting that consistantly.

vCash
    First of all before I start, dude I know you're a Saints fan I took Jimmy Graham in the second round he fell to me in my Fantasy league. You think he's gonna have just as good a year? Haha he better.

Anyway, to the goaltending, it's hard to *****. I just get somewhat frustrated because Burke stated before the off-season began that this would be an extremely busy one getting rid of guys and getting new ones. He said that in a press conference... so that's just a bit of a bother.

However, if you do look at the goalies he brought in since being here it's definitely not all his fault but at the same time he hasn't landed a goalie that makes a difference.

He got rid of Toskala which was great, brought in Giguere who was good to some extent but didn't end up working out. That's not his fault.

He signed Gustavsson who was the most sought out goalie outside of the NHL, and he didn't pan out. Any other team would have done what Burke did and there's no debating that. He didn't pan out, just like Brunnstrom another Swede who was highly touted but failed.

Scrivens could be good, but meh who knows. Unless Scrivens develops drastically I don't have much faith there. Reimer the same. But I do believe Reimer has a chance to be better, remember the concussion really messed him up so if he is clear of that he could be better.

I do agree with Kinger that trading down to get a Subban, Dansk because those guys would be a pretty solid goaltending prospect. To be honest I would have loved Subban... but goddamn Boston nabbed him.

As for trading for guys like a Luongo which likely won't happen because he looks like he is gonna go to Florida, that does indeed make Theodore expendable. I wouldn't mind him to be here to end his career but that still leaves the goalie for the future. The problem with getting a #1 goalie is they are hard to come by IMO, and teams who have them lock them up to long term deals.

All in all I don't blame Burke for everything to do with the goalie situation especially for what's out there right now, but he still could have improved them prospect wise in that department.

Toronto Gyarados.
    NHL Pokemon logo's for the win.

Blue Jays,
    Maple Leafs and Steelers fan for life.

vCash
    I have a feeling that a post from Lavy with the word "truculence" is coming VERY soon.

vCash
    Alls I care about is that we don't go after BobbyLoser

vCash
    Yolo.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rasheed34 View Post
    Alls I care about is that we don't go after BobbyLoser
    Bobby Loser who of course has a terrific win loss record (a meaningless stat but you brought up a winner) in the last 4 year and has a winning record in the playoffs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiMized View Post
    I have a feeling that a post from Lavy with the word "truculence" is coming VERY soon.
    "Truculence" is mine buddy.. all mine

^Notice the gun on the right doesn't fire..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyLuke2 View Post
    First of all before I start, dude I know you're a Saints fan I took Jimmy Graham in the second round he fell to me in my Fantasy league. You think he's gonna have just as good a year? Haha he better.

Anyway, to the goaltending, it's hard to *****. I just get somewhat frustrated because Burke stated before the off-season began that this would be an extremely busy one getting rid of guys and getting new ones. He said that in a press conference... so that's just a bit of a bother.

However, if you do look at the goalies he brought in since being here it's definitely not all his fault but at the same time he hasn't landed a goalie that makes a difference.

He got rid of Toskala which was great, brought in Giguere who was good to some extent but didn't end up working out. That's not his fault.

He signed Gustavsson who was the most sought out goalie outside of the NHL, and he didn't pan out. Any other team would have done what Burke did and there's no debating that. He didn't pan out, just like Brunnstrom another Swede who was highly touted but failed.

Scrivens could be good, but meh who knows. Unless Scrivens develops drastically I don't have much faith there. Reimer the same. But I do believe Reimer has a chance to be better, remember the concussion really messed him up so if he is clear of that he could be better.

I do agree with Kinger that trading down to get a Subban, Dansk because those guys would be a pretty solid goaltending prospect. To be honest I would have loved Subban... but goddamn Boston nabbed him.

As for trading for guys like a Luongo which likely won't happen because he looks like he is gonna go to Florida, that does indeed make Theodore expendable. I wouldn't mind him to be here to end his career but that still leaves the goalie for the future. The problem with getting a #1 goalie is they are hard to come by IMO, and teams who have them lock them up to long term deals.

All in all I don't blame Burke for everything to do with the goalie situation especially for what's out there right now, but he still could have improved them prospect wise in that department.
    I think he's going to be even better this year, if thats even possible.

vCash
    does anyone think there was a chance that Burke decided to let the lock out play out before making a move? If the season is lost both Scrivens and Reimer will likely play the whole year for the Marlies and he buys a year to watch them play both individually and as a tandem.

And if he decides he needs to I really dont think it would be that hard to make a move for Luongo. I think he is just not convinced he has to pay Vancouvers price yet to make the trade and is willing to wait and see.

I know alot on here dont think Burke is smart enough to think that far ahead but i like to think there is a chance he is..

vCash
    Well according the Dreger, the entire season may very well be lost. If that's the case, for many reasons, it benefits the Leafs. One reason is the draft. They will apparently do it in this format:

The record over the past 5 seasons will determine the draft. Meaning teams like Edmonton, Toronto, Columbus all would get high picks. Which is huge for us.

Also, guys like Connolly, Lombardi, etc etc. are all UFA's. So if there is a lockout as much as I don't want it to happen, it does benefit Toronto.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by T.O. RaPz--Le@F View Post
    I think he's going to be even better this year, if thats even possible.
    Ahh shiiii I hope so. Many are saying it may go down because of his un-real year last year. But I don't think so. He dropped to me in the second round I was shocked he was still there so I nabbed him.

He's their best offensive weapon besides Colston who's hurt right now anyway.

Toronto Gyarados.

Blue Jays,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by alexanderkeiths:23562684
    does anyone think there was a chance that Burke decided to let the lock out play out before making a move? If the season is lost both Scrivens and Reimer will likely play the whole year for the Marlies and he buys a year to watch them play both individually and as a tandem.

And if he decides he needs to I really dont think it would be that hard to make a move for Luongo. I think he is just not convinced he has to pay Vancouvers price yet to make the trade and is willing to wait and see.

I know alot on here dont think Burke is smart enough to think that far ahead but i like to think there is a chance he is..
    Burke went to ****ing law school..hes not stupid he is just a loud mouth ,theres a huge difference

vCash
    A lockout isn't a benefit to anyone. I'd rather see some up and down hockey (with the probability of poor results) and some player development than nothing at all.

vCash
    ^
    Exactly. We may be one of the weaker teams in the league performance wise but I'd rather watch another colapse like last year than watch nothing at all. (Not saying we'd do that again this year just using an example boys.) No hockey benefits nobody.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast