Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Scott Hartnell or Corey Perry

Well I was having this discussion with a couple fellow Flyers fans and the debate seemed pretty split. So I ask you Flyers fans, with both Perry and Hartnell being free agents next year, and having nothing to go off of this season, would you try and resign Hartnell for a deal similar to the one he has now ($4.2 mil) or attempt to sign Corey Perry in free agency, likely to get around $6-6.5 mil.

Statistics from last year
    Hartnell: 37G, 30A
    Perry: 37G, 23A

Point totals from last 4 years
    Hartnell: 67, 49, 44, 60
    Perry: 60, 98, 76, 72

I'm a little torn because of the chemistry Giroux and Hartnell had last year, but the talent and consistency of Perry is undeniable. I think if you can lock Hartnell up to a 5 year, 4.5 million extension, you take it, but the closer Hartnell gets to 5.5 million, the closer I look toward Perry.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    id have to go with perry but i love hartnell

vCash
    this is gonna sound like a cop-out, but i have to wait and see what the CBA situation will bring.

if it means lowering the cap, Hartnell is the better choice simply because he won't cost as much. they need money to be able to sign guys like G, Simmer, Schenn, Couts to long term deals, and having a huge cap hit like Perry on board with a lowered salary cap won't make that easy to do.

strictly based on player for player, i'd have to take Perry. but there are too many variables involved IMO to make an argument either way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyonthespot View Post
    id have to go with perry but i love hartnell
    Exactly, the talent difference is nearly made up by the chemistry Hartnell has with this team and this city and what should be a couple million saved in salary.

Then again, if you take Perry, that's another guy who's won a cup in the locker room.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    i have a better one chips ahoy or oreos?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    Exactly, the talent difference is nearly made up by the chemistry Hartnell has with this team and this city and what should be a couple million saved in salary.

Then again, if you take Perry, that's another guy who's won a cup in the locker room.
    can i change my answer to hartnell for 4.5 mill

vCash
    TBH, neither, but if I had to pick one I'd pick Perry.

Hartnell was fantastic last year but by the time he is a free agent he will be 31. Usually players start to decline 32-33 so you will get a couple of solid season out of him. When he starts to decline you can't really bet on him being on that first line with Giroux which would mean drop off in production. You'll get the Hartnell of two seasons ago that a lot of people wanted to get rid of for a bag of balls.

Perry on the other hand would just be entering his prime at 28. If you give him a 5 year deal most of those years would be in his prime and his production wouldn't take a huge hit. He also has more proven talent and could become a 50 goal scorer with one of the best players in the world centering him.

Obviously everything changes if Hartnell's deal is shorter or Perry's deal is longer (not to mention the CBA), but I'd go for the more talented and younger player.

vCash
    You have to let me see another year with Giroux and the CBA upcoming. If the cap drops, which I almost think it will have to, then I'm going to be a proponent of Hartnell over a few seasons. His chemistry, his personality, and his game suits our system perfectly.

If the cap continues to rise, I'd say Perry. But I have a feeling it wont.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    You have to let me see another year with Giroux and the CBA upcoming. If the cap drops, which I almost think it will have to, then I'm going to be a proponent of Hartnell over a few seasons. His chemistry, his personality, and his game suits our system perfectly.

If the cap continues to rise, I'd say Perry. But I have a feeling it wont.
    now if the cap drops, players asking prices will have to drop too right?

and if the cap does drop i am glade we didn't get locked into a 7.5+mill contract.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnyonthespot View Post
    now if the cap drops, players asking prices will have to drop too right?

and if the cap does drop i am glade we didn't get locked into a 7.5+mill contract.
    They might, but for periphery players. Crosby just got a contract at $8.7m cap hit. That's the same cap hit it was, previously, as well. I have a feeling, mega contracts will not change.

Perry will likely make the same. In fact, it's probably players like Hartnell that will see a decline. And people like, Ville Leino, who wont be making $4.5m any more.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    I have seen both the good and the bad in Hartnell especially when he takes periods and games off at times....If I knew we were getting the Hartnell from last year for the next 4/years I would say sign him..
    Other than the offensive force Perry is and his skating and passing skills I dont know how he is game in game out or his 2/way game,going by his offensive skills I would say Perry..
    Sorry I know I drug this out..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    They might, but for periphery players. Crosby just got a contract at $8.7m cap hit. That's the same cap hit it was, previously, as well. I have a feeling, mega contracts will not change.

Perry will likely make the same. In fact, it's probably players like Hartnell that will see a decline. And people like, Ville Leino, who wont be making $4.5m any more.
    which i think would be better for all teams...... small and big market

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    Well I was having this discussion with a couple fellow Flyers fans and the debate seemed pretty split. So I ask you Flyers fans, with both Perry and Hartnell being free agents next year, and having nothing to go off of this season, would you try and resign Hartnell for a deal similar to the one he has now ($4.2 mil) or attempt to sign Corey Perry in free agency, likely to get around $6-6.5 mil.

Statistics from last year
    Hartnell: 37G, 30A
    Perry: 37G, 23A

Point totals from last 4 years
    Hartnell: 67, 49, 44, 60
    Perry: 60, 98, 76, 72

I'm a little torn because of the chemistry Giroux and Hartnell had last year, but the talent and consistency of Perry is undeniable. I think if you can lock Hartnell up to a 5 year, 4.5 million extension, you take it, but the closer Hartnell gets to 5.5 million, the closer I look toward Perry.
    youre forgetting the most important statistic ...

Corey Perry is 27

Scott Hartnell is 31

this isn't really a debate ...

vCash
    Quick question: how many Hart trophies does Hartnell have?

All things equal you'd have to take Perry. He's better than Hartnell, and he's younger. Giroux and Perry could be a shorter version of Lemiuex and Jagr.

Assuming Hartnell doesn't score 50+ goals, he'll be cheaper than Perry, and with his age he should be signed to a shorter term. And with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Simmonds needing to be locked up, you should go with the cheaper guy. However, if Simmonds totally outplays Hartnell (I'm talking 20-30 more points), I think you go after the sniper Perry and let Simmonds be your power forward.
    Prepare to experience sexual magic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smking619 View Post
    Quick question: how many Hart trophies does Hartnell have?

All things equal you'd have to take Perry. He's better than Hartnell, and he's younger. Giroux and Perry could be a shorter version of Lemiuex and Jagr.

Assuming Hartnell doesn't score 50+ goals, he'll be cheaper than Perry, and with his age he should be signed to a shorter term. And with Giroux, Schenn, Couturier, and Simmonds needing to be locked up, you should go with the cheaper guy. However, if Simmonds totally outplays Hartnell (I'm talking 20-30 more points), I think you go after the sniper Perry and let Simmonds be your power forward.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast