Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Mezaros out - torn Achilles

INJURY NEWS: Flyers GM Paul Holmgren on (D) Andrej Meszaros: "Andrej had successful surgery this morning to repair a torn right achilles tendon. The surgery was performed by Dr. Steve Raikin at Jefferson Hospital in Philadelphia. Andrej was injured last week during summer training in Slovakia. Andrej will be out indefinitely."
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash

Well that sucks. They were really counting on him this year.

vCash
    Yup. That's at least going to put him out until January, and could be a season ender.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    If Meszaros is scheduled to be out 3/4 of the season....anyone think the Flyers take a shot at Carlo Colaiacovo? He's a very capable defenseman who can give you nearly 20 minutes a night....

vCash
    Wow he's had a rough 6-8 months first with his back, now this. And yes, I could see the Flyers taking a look at Colaiacovo. The only way they don't look to add someone is if they have a lot of faith in the likes of Lilja, Gervais, Bourdon and Gustafsson being capable 5th and 6th defensemen.

vCash
    .....well this just sucks.

i'm thinking they are going to have to make a move for a defenseman now. colaiacovo is a possibility of course. after that the pickings are pretty thin.

damn this just really sucks. interested to see what the Flyers reaction to this is.

vCash
    Well, this is not at all what we needed. Let's hope homer has a trick left up his sleeves...

vCash
    yeah...

Andrej Meszaros underwent surgery Tuesday morning on a torn right Achilles tendon, the Flyers announced.
    According to the team, the blueliner suffered the injury while training in Slovakia. General manager Paul Holmgren said via the team's press release that Meszaros "will be out indefinitely." There's a good chance the young blueliner could miss the season as recovery time can take in the neighborhood of six to eight months. With doubts that Chris Pronger will ever play again, the loss of Matt Carle and failed attempts to add Ryan Suter and Shea Weber, the loss of Meszaros becomes a pretty big issue for a weakened defense corps. The 26-year-old had seven goals and 25 points last season with 144 hits.

ouch damn

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    El Oh El....Bryz should demand a trade...the defense was horrid last year and could actually be worse this year....Just not looking good for us...I hope he gets back soon

What was meant for me will be Mine once again... THE CHAMP OF CHAMPS IS BACK

vCash
    No one is goin to wants Bryz and his head case ways plus that contract....He'll just have to step it up in year 2 for the Flyers...

I can't say the defense is going to be worse...Bourdon and Gus have a season under their belts....maybe they'll learn from their mistakes...Gervais is a decent option to plug in there for Meszaros (but for the long term?)....Of course I'd rather have someone in there I would have more confidence in, but who's out there to sign?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC1710 View Post
    No one is goin to wants Bryz and his head case ways plus that contract....He'll just have to step it up in year 2 for the Flyers...

I can't say the defense is going to be worse...Bourdon and Gus have a season under their belts....maybe they'll learn from their mistakes...Gervais is a decent option to plug in there for Meszaros (but for the long term?)....Of course I'd rather have someone in there I would have more confidence in, but who's out there to sign?
    Rozival and Coloviacco(sp) for starters. The last thing this team needs is Homer to make a knee jerk trade for some stop-gap like Jaybo or Boyle. Keep the youth and picks this year you might need it. Sign one of the above and hope it is enough to keep you competitive.

In all reality I expect this year to be a retool year. We let Jagr, Carle, and Kubina walk. We traded JVR for L.Schenn, and we only added Gervais and Fedotenko. Now Meszaros is out and the prognosis is "Be healthy for the playoffs." Not exactly an upgrade to last years team.

We had a lot of players that had career years last year, or was their first year. Can you expect them to match, let alone surpass those numbers? Can you expect the rookies not to have sophmore slumps?

With the Rangers getting so much better, and how deep this division is, if I was Homer I would sign the best remaining UFA and see how this team plays as is. If your below a playoff spot come trade deadline see if you can get Hartnell, Briere, and/or Timonen to waive thier clauses and get some picks and prospects to fill the farm. Then next year you will have a ton of cap space to fill out the defense and some scoring forwards.
    Last edited by Youarewrong; 08-08-2012 at 01:13 PM.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    .....well this just sucks.

i'm thinking they are going to have to make a move for a defenseman now. colaiacovo is a possibility of course. after that the pickings are pretty thin.

damn this just really sucks. interested to see what the Flyers reaction to this is.
    Brace yourself... Steve Emenger has a locker at the Skate Zone... and let us not forget Mr. Matt Walker.
    "Many of the truths we cling to depend greatly upon our own point of view.", "The circle is now complete. When I left you I was but the learner, now I am the master.", "I find your lack of faith disturbing.", "I can feel your anger... it gives you focus, it makes you stronger!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    Brace yourself... Steve Emenger has a locker at the Skate Zone... and let us not forget Mr. Matt Walker.
    SanFilippo tweeted yesterday stating he's been working out at the Skate Zone all summer rehabbing from injury, so it really shouldn't be seen as anything imminent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Youarewrong View Post
    Rozival and Coloviacco(sp) for starters. The last thing this team needs is Homer to make a knee jerk trade for some stop-gap like Jaybo or Boyle. Keep the youth and picks this year you might need it. Sign one of the above and hope it is enough to keep you competitive.

In all reality I expect this year to be a retool year. We let Jagr, Carle, and Kubina walk. We traded JVR for L.Schenn, and we only added Gervais and Fedotenko. Now Meszaros is out and the prognosis is "Be healthy for the playoffs." Not exactly an upgrade to last years team.

We had a lot of players that had career years last year, or was their first year. Can you expect them to match, let alone surpass those numbers? Can you expect the rookies not to have sophmore slumps?

With the Rangers getting so much better, and how deep this division is, if I was Homer I would sign the best remaining UFA and see how this team plays as is. If your below a playoff spot come trade deadline see if you can get Hartnell, Briere, and/or Timonen to waive thier clauses and get some picks and prospects to fill the farm. Then next year you will have a ton of cap space to fill out the defense and some scoring forwards.
    Woah. Why is Jay Bowmeister, younger than both Rozival and Carlo C, and signed for 2 years, a "stop gap" but those guys aren't? Literally, those two are the definition of stop gap.

I'm not saying "Trade for Jay-B at all costs" but he's far less of a stop gap than oft injured CC and the elderly Michael Rozival.

If Bowmeister comes for picks/prospects look into it. I doubt it, however, since Calgary just added Wideman and seems to think they're in it.
    #WhyNot?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Woah. Why is Jay Bowmeister, younger than both Rozival and Carlo C, and signed for 2 years, a "stop gap" but those guys aren't? Literally, those two are the definition of stop gap.

I'm not saying "Trade for Jay-B at all costs" but he's far less of a stop gap than oft injured CC and the elderly Michael Rozival.

If Bowmeister comes for picks/prospects look into it. I doubt it, however, since Calgary just added Wideman and seems to think they're in it.
    I dont mind signing a stop gap, but not trading for one. If Jaybo costs you anything higher then a 2nd rounder or roster player... no thanks. I dont want to tap into any of our "offenive depth" to trade for a defensman at this point.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast