Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bradyistheman12 View Post
    Holy crap! I had no idea that they were worth that much! I'll be holding onto them and hopefully they continue to gain in value. Here are the pics of my shoes:

Just don't wear them

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    I got October 5th off. So it's looking possible I'll be heading out for the Washington game. Autzen is on my sports bucket list so I may have to bite the bullet on this one

vCash
    ^Do it. You won't regret it.

vCash
    Oregon doesn't duck lack of NFL prospects

EUGENE, Ore. – From De'Anthony Thomas' electrifying kickoff returns to the futuristic, almost aerodynamic yellow font that graces the walls inside its administrative offices, everything about the Oregon football program is based on speed.

Why should success be any different?

Under Chip Kelly, the Ducks are 34-6 over the last three seasons, with three Pac-12 titles, two Rose Bowls and one national championship game appearance, all punctuated by last season's triumph in Pasadena, Calif.

This year, with a preseason ranking of No. 5 in the USA TODAY Sports Coaches Poll, more of the same is anticipated.

Yet, given all of this prosperity, it's surprising to discover Oregon had only seven players drafted by the NFL over the last three years, none in the first round. In the same span, Southern California, Oregon's main rival and the former conference king, had 19 players chosen.

Even Stanford, whose players were razzed for being too smart by new Washington State coach Mike Leach at last month's Pac-12 media day, had 11 players drafted.

"If you get an opportunity to play at the next level, that's icing on the cake to me," Kelly says. "I don't go into houses telling kids about how they'll get to the NFL. It's never been part of the pitch."

That's because it doesn't have to be.

By the time Kelly reaches a prospect's house, there's obviously mutual interest. And according to Mike Farrell, Rivals.com's national recruiting analyst, the prospect is usually enthralled by those mix-and-match, Nike-designed uniforms and the Powerball numbers on the scoreboard.

In 2011, with all-purpose dynamo Thomas as the crown jewel, the Ducks' recruiting class was ranked second out of the conference's 12 teams by Rivals.com. This year it's No. 4.
    "Kids are always telling me Oregon's uniforms are the coolest, no doubt, and they have the coolest offense, too," Farrell says. "Those are the two things driving kids to that region, because it's not for everyone."

To the last point, Kelly agrees.

"We're not an end-result operation," he says. "Our whole deal, why we're good, is because we're very, very focused on the process. If you come here, you'd better enjoy the process.

"It's not an end-result game. And if it is, then maybe this isn't the place for you."

Building on success

But as the wins accumulate, Oregon can afford to be more selective.
    "I think recruiting is pretty parallel to winning," senior free safety John Boyett says. "If you're winning, kids want to come to your school."

Little has hindered the coaching staff's efforts on the recruiting trail, not even the hovering cloud of the NCAA's ongoing investigation into the program and its business connection to Houston-based talent evaluator/scout Willie Lyles. A resolution is likely during the fall.

Thomas Tyner, a Rivals five-star recruit from Aloha High in Beaverton, Ore., committed to the Ducks in November — about two months after Oregon received the NCAA's notice of inquiry. Since then, seven other players have given the Ducks their word, including two four-star pledges.

It wasn't always this way. Under ex-coach Mike Bellotti, there were players who were under-recruited because of a lack of ideal height, weight or speed. Nevertheless, the Ducks won.

There are plenty like that on the roster, players who are productive because their talents can be maximized in non-traditional schemes, such as Oregon's spread offense, which was third in points in Football Bowl Subdivision in 2011 despite being last in time of possession.

Someone such as LaMichael James, the Ducks' all-time leading rusher whom the San Francisco 49ers selected 61st overall in the NFL draft in April. Deemed too small to be an every-down player in the NFL, James, 5-9, 165 pounds, is the standard by which all future Oregon running backs will be measured .

Which is fine by DeSoto, Texas running back Dontre Wilson, who committed to the Ducks in May. He's roughly the same size as James at 5-10, 185. And he's quick; he says he runs a legit 4.4 in the 40-yard dash. Guess what drew him to Oregon?

"It was that every one of their running backs, at least the last four or five, have gone to the league," Wilson said. "We run a similar offense here, so I'll adjust fast to it."

The NFL is adjusting, too, with its scouting. After the draft's first two rounds, teams are taking gambles on players doing things that they might not have done before. For instance, James, who was selected near the end of the second round, won't be the focal point of the 49ers offense; he likely will be a third-down back or a change-of-pace option.

His role will be nothing like it was in the Ducks' spread, which has allowed Oregon to dominate a league in which USC's pro-style offense has long reigned. While the Trojans will always attract elite talent because of tradition and proximity — "USC is Hollywood," Farrell says — the Ducks have been forced to be creative to be competitive.

Which explains those garish uniforms. The kids love them, and other schools — Oklahoma State and Maryland, to name a few — have followed suit.

Then again, nothing is more creative than winning.

"That's the key element in recruiting," Farrell says. "Winning is No. 1, and Oregon has that down. Facilities are next, and they have great facilities.

"They're not big in the NFL yet, but they make up for it with the uniforms, their fan base. And their offense is considered by kids to be the coolest thing in college football."

Asked how much of a sales job is necessary for visiting recruits, Boyett, who came from Napa (Calif.) High because they were on the rise, says, "You can't tell a kid to come here. He either fits in or he doesn't. But the main thing is we win games. Winning speaks for itself."

Path to NFL sure to come

Farrell knows recruiting has improved, noting that within the conference, as recently as 2004, Oregon's recruiting class ranked eighth or ninth out of 10.

"You're starting to see more kids who project to the NFL," says Farrell, who identifies Thomas and sophomore tight end Colt Lyerla as candidates.

Kelly, who listened to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers' offseason offer to become their head coach, says he would be thrilled if it all works out for Boyett, senior running back Kenjon Barner and any of the other Ducks.

"If a kid coming out of high school wants to know how he's going to be in the pros, it's like, 'How about you play a down of college football first before we start talking about that?' I really think it's a huge problem," Kelly says.

Wilson, who was recruited by Oregon assistant coaches Scott Frost and Gary Campbell, confirms Kelly's comments.

"They were real clear about me focusing on Oregon first," he says.

Nevertheless, high school kids dream and dream big. That's not about to change, so what's the alternative? Ignore prospects with eyes on the prize? That's not going to happen. But it doesn't mean Kelly has to like it.

Kelly, who talks nearly as fast as his Ducks play, thinks everybody should slow down a bit.

"I think we live in a microwave society," Kelly says. "But I don't think anybody in this world would say, 'Hey, there's a brand-new microwave restaurant that opened up down the road — let's go eat at it.' No one would want to go to it. They want to go to a place where they enjoy the process in the kitchen and they take a lot of time in preparing the food for you.

"You'd better enjoy the process."
    http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...cts/57176250/1

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zack4070 View Post
    Just don't wear them
    Thankfully, I have not worn them yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by mell413 View Post
    I got October 5th off. So it's looking possible I'll be heading out for the Washington game. Autzen is on my sports bucket list so I may have to bite the bullet on this one
    That's the best home game to go to on our schedule. You will find out quickly that Oregon fans dislike UW even more than the Beavers. That's the most intense rivalry for the Ducks in my opinion.

Here's a look at the new Duck uniforms: Oregon Live
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Thankfully, I have not worn them yet.

That's the best home game to go to on our schedule. You will find out quickly that Oregon fans dislike UW even more than the Beavers. That's the most intense rivalry for the Ducks in my opinion.

Here's a look at the new Duck uniforms: Oregon Live
    The new uniforms are pretty cool. Im not too excited about the new shoulder wings (they kind of look like tire treads) but everything else is cool. I love the new green helmets and the mallard neck colored numbers, especially on the white uni!!!

vCash
    The new uniforms are pretty cool. Im not too excited about the new shoulder wings (they kind of look like tire treads) but everything else is cool. I love the new green helmets and the mallard neck colored numbers, especially on the white uni!!!
    I agree with this. I don't hate the uniforms, but I'm not a huge fan of the wings on the shoulder pads look. They remind me of the Kellen Clemens era Duck uniforms, and those were my least favorite set of unis since we started changing them every 3 years.

vCash
    It sounds like Mariota is going to be the starter. I'm 100 percent in-favor of this move, and I really believe that Mariota will accomplish things that no one has ever done before at Oregon. Also, Bralon Addison has been lighting it up this Fall. He will definitely play this year, and I expect him to be a big-time play-maker. This Freshman class has looked really good according to teammates, and are more prepared than any Duck FR class in history.

The two-deep will be released on Friday.

vCash
    It sounds like Mariota is going to be the starter. I'm 100 percent in-favor of this move, and I really believe that Mariota will accomplish things that no one has ever done before at Oregon. Also, Bralon Addison has been lighting it up this Fall. He will definitely play this year, and I expect him to be a big-time play-maker. This Freshman class has looked really good according to teammates, and are more prepared than any Duck FR class in history.

The two-deep will be released on Friday.
    If thats true then see ya to Bennett. Where did you here this?

vCash
    If thats true then see ya to Bennett. Where did you here this?
    One of my friends is a student manager on the team, and it's all over a recruiting website that I visit (I can't name it because it is against PSD's rules).

vCash
    It's official:

Redshirt freshman Marcus Mariota has been named the starting quarterback for the Oregon Ducks.

The Oregonian broke the news via a team source this morning, and the selection was officially confirmed by the team's Twitter feed at 10:10 a.m.

Mariota beat out third-year sophomore Bryan Bennett during a seven-month competition that began in January after Oregon's all-time touchdown passes leader, Darron Thomas, decided to forgo his senior year to enter the NFL Draft.

Mariota will become the first freshman quarterback to start the season for the Ducks in 21 years. UO hosts Arkansas State Sept. 1.

LaMichael James, the former Oregon Ducks running back who is now with the San Francisco 49ers, endorsed Mariota's selection this morning.

"He will possibly be the best QB to ever play at Oregon!" James wrote on Twitter. "He's the real deal."

The competition went down to the wire with Thursday's scrimmage being the final test for both quarterbacks.

Mariota's rise from redshirt to starter could be viewed as an upset. The 2011 three-star recruit (Rivals.com) out of Honolulu, Hawaii redshirted last season while Bennett backed up Thomas.

Bennett saw action in blowouts and filled in for an injured Thomas against Arizona State and Washington State, and started at Colorado. Bennett appeared in nine games, rushing for 200 yards (8.7 per carry) and throwing for 369 with six touchdowns and no interceptions. His performances titillated fans about the future. But now that future, at least for now, belongs to Mariota. As a senior at St. Louis High School, Mariota threw for 2,597 yards 32 touchdowns with five interceptions. Because of closed practices, few outside of the team saw Mariota in action at Oregon until the spring game.

There, Mariota lit up the day by displaying great speed as a runner and quick decision making in the passing game. Many felt after the spring game that Mariota had edged ahead of Bennett but coaches urged that it had only been one day and that the competition was in a dead heat.

Mariota's first true college game experience will come Sept. 1. So even though he's been named the starter, he now must play well enough to keep the job knowing that a more than capable backup with game experience waits in the wings.

Oregon truly has a luxury in having two seemingly perfect fits for the spread-option attack that the Ducks clearly believe they can win big with.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...oregon_du.html

vCash
    Holy Crap. I got to say Ive been on the Mariota Band Wagon since I saw his Youtube videos after he verbally committed to us.

WR Depth Chart:

Huff
    Hawkins
    Lowe
    Addison
    Kelley
    Dungy

I wonder what happened to Rashaan Vaughn. Looks like he isn't even in the Top 6 in the WR corps. Do you ever wonder if Dungy gets a free pass?

vCash
    Just as I expected, Mariota is the man! He may struggle at times this season, but the future is insanely bright. The crazy thing is that Oregon is starting a RS FR at QB, and we are still legitimate National Championship contenders. The last time Oregon started a RS FR at QB, we went with Danny O'Neil. That worked out pretty damn good!

As for Vaughn, I have heard that he has a bit of an ego (this was last season though), and I'm not sure if he has cured the dropsies. I still think he will make an impact, but Oregon actually has some sick talent at receiver this year. I've been saying for most of the off-season that Daryle Hawkins would surprise some people, and it looks like he will play a lot. Also, Keanon Lowe was really coming on at the end of last season before his injury. He's a great blocker, and a terrific athlete, so his future is very bright. You all should watch highlights from the Oregon 6A HS Championship from his Senior year. He has terrific vision, and knows how to find the endzone. That was a legendary performance, and I'm hoping that we see more of that this season.

Also, I expect Kyle Long to be the starting LT at some point this season. He is behind Tyler Johnstone right now, but Long is just so physically gifted. Even though he won't have much D1 football starting experience, I could see him being a 2nd or 3rd round pick in next year's NFL draft. Players with that type of athleticism and size don't come around often. He is petitioning for an extra year of college eligibility, but it sounds like it will be a longshot. If he does get it, then I expect him to return for another year. He also said he would likely play baseball if he got another year, and you may not know but he was a top prospect in baseball out of high school and played for Florida State.

Lastly, I'm kind of hoping that we sit out York for the first few games. I think we can survive without him, and the last thing we need is for him to get re-injured. This would give the younger guys valuable experience, and I'm not worried about York assimilating with the offensive line once he's ready to assume the starting LG position.

Here is the rest of the depth chart: Andy McNamara

We are 8 days away from opening day!!!

vCash
    The Ducks are so good DAT isn't even a starter!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    The Ducks are so good DAT isn't even a starter!!!!!!!!!
    It's funny that De'Anthony is a legitimate Heisman candidate and he isn't even a starter. Of course he will be on the field as a starter in some capacity most of the time, but this does speak volumes about the talent Oregon has.

Page 4 of 52 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast