Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Bryan Bennett to transfer

The off and on again saga of Bryan Bennett continues. A source close to the situation indicates Bennett took a secret visit to Southeastern Louisiana during the weekend.

A second source confirmed the news late Monday morning.

Southeastern Louisiana will start classes Tuesday and Bennett will enroll then.

As DuckTerritory indicated just a short time ago, Bennett decided to stay at Oregon and make a move to the defensive side of the ball, namely outside linebacker.

However consistent pressure forced Bennett to evaluate his options and has led him to enroll immediately (as soon as this week) at Southeastern Louisiana.

Bennett was a quality backup to Marcus Mariota after losing the job this Fall. Mariota is the clear leader of the team with Spring Ball set to approach.

Although the decision for Bennett was considered difficult to make, he will be offered immediately playing time and a clear path to the starting quarterback position.

Oregon is now left with two redshirt freshman on the quarterback depth chart following the departure of Bennett.

The Ducks are currently recruiting junior college quarterback Tanner McEvoy who would provide immediate depth if he commits to Oregon.
    http://oregon.247sports.com/Article/...-Oregon-112433

vCash
    I hold no ill-will toward Bennett. I hope he finds success, and I definitely think he could find a starting gig at the D1 level after playing a year at the FCS level. Even though he didn't play a lot this year, he really helped the program in a few ways. First of all, he had a great relationship with the team and helped get people on board with Mariota. He could have been a detriment, but he held the team above himself. Bennett also prevented Oregon from burning Rodrigues and Lockie's redshirts. That's obviously huge since it separated Mariota and those QBs by a year. Hopefully Oregon gets McEvoy so we have solid depth going in, but either way we should be fine.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Man we are gonna be thin at QB

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zack4070 View Post
    Man we are gonna be thin at QB
    If we get McEvoy, then depth should be fine. Even if he doesn't choose Oregon, I still think we'll be fine.

Oregon offered Devon Allen yesterday. I like our chances with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    If we get McEvoy, then depth should be fine. Even if he doesn't choose Oregon, I still think we'll be fine.

Oregon offered Devon Allen yesterday. I like our chances with him.
    Also heard the coaches are going down to see Dontre Wilson and might offer his buddy Hall (Washington verb. commit) and Ayers which to me I would think would be a lock that Dontre comes here!!!

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zack4070 View Post
    Also heard the coaches are going down to see Dontre Wilson and might offer his buddy Hall (Washington verb. commit) and Ayers which to me I would think would be a lock that Dontre comes here!!!
    It's definitely a possibility, but it kind of sounds like Oregon may pass on the opportunity to offer Ayers. Apparently, they don't feel confident in Hall and they feel confident in Wilson sticking no matter what. Plus, Oregon just picked up a WR in Devon Allen. Now, if Carrington were to de-commit, then I could definitely see them taking a look at Ayers, but it wouldn't necessarily be due to some package deal.

As I mentioned in the first paragraph, Devon Allen just committed. He's got phenomenal athleticism, and already had a track scholarship offer from Oregon. That in itself shows just how athletic this guy is. Track doesn't get to dull out very many scholarships (many are partial scholarships), but this guy is a world-class athlete. Oregon is closing strong once again, and and look out for Cameron Hunt to de-commit and choose Oregon in my opinion. Marcus Porter is visiting this weekend and is another possibility as well.

vCash

vCash
    Some Duck fans are angry at Meyer for doing this, but I'm not. Oregon has capitalized on late recruiting flips in the past few years, so we shouldn't get mad at Meyer for attempting to do the same thing. I think in the end that Oregon will keep Dontre Wilson and Darren Carrington, but Meyer is after them. It looks like the Robinson twins are firm in their commitment now, so Meyer didn't win them over thankfully. Oregon's approach of sending 7 coaches to each of their commits' homes has worked really well.

vCash
    Yeah, definitely not mad about it. My feelings are that the recruits are fair game until they are actually enrolled in a school.

I'd expect the same from our staff if faced with a similar situation.

vCash
    I don't have any issue with what Meyer is doing assuming he isn't doing anything illegal. I'd expect our coaches to do the same if the roles were reversed.

vCash
    New Oregon head coach Mark Helfrich appears to have made his first hire, snagging Duke wide receiver coach Matt Lubick, according to reports.

CBS Sports Bruce Feldman first reported the news.

Lubick was recently named the wide receivers coach of the year by Football Scoop.com.

"Matt Lubick exemplifies exactly what it means to be a mentor in every sense of the word," Duke head coach David Cutcliffe has said, calling Lubick "simply the best recruiter that I've ever worked with."

Duke was the only FBS team in the country this season with three receivers with 60-plus catches each. Helfrich has said he's open to the idea of throwing more in Oregon's offense.

Scott Frost, who coached Oregon's receivers last season, is expected to be promoted to offensive coordinator, the position Helfrich previously filled.

Lubick was an assistant at Oregon State, coaching defensive backs, in 1999-2000, when the Beavers went to the Fiesta Bowl. Before arriving at Duke in 2010, he was at Arizona State, where he served as assistant head coach and recruiting coordinator while working with safties. He is credited with signing players such as Vontaze Burfict at ASU and Dexter McClusker at Ole Miss, another previous stop on his resume.

From his official bio:

In 1995, Lubick got his start in coaching as a student assistant coach and academic supervisor under his father (Sonny) at Colorado State University, his alma mater. He then coached one season (1996) at California State-Northridge and two campaigns (1997-98) at San Jose State.

A 1995 graduate of Colorado State, Lubick returned to his alma mater for a four-year stint on the coaching staff from 2001-04. Coaching the Rams’ wide receivers, he helped Colorado State to the 2002 Mountain West Conference championship as well as three straight bowl games in 2001 (New Orleans), 2002 (Liberty) and 2003 (San Francisco). Lubick then served two years (2005-06) on the staff at Ole Miss, coaching the wide receivers.

A native of Bozeman, Mont., Lubick attended Western Montana College where he earned four varsity letters as a defensive back on the football team and earned all-conference and NAIA All-America honors as a senior. He earned a bachelor’s degree in exercise and sport science from Colorado State in 1995.
    Source: Oregonian

Great hire by the way. He's developed great receivers at Duke, and he is known as a great recruiter. ESPN Recruiting Nation did a feature on the nine best recruiters (only assistants) and Lubick was one of the nine mentioned. He will also be the recruiting coordinator at Oregon, so I think we can expect great things from him.

As for the Meyer thing, I think you guys stated it pretty well. It sucks that Oregon is in this position, but it's fair play for Meyer to go after them. I also have no problem with our recruits looking into other options. They should make sure that they belong at Oregon rather than finding out after their FR year that they made a mistake.

vCash
    Wow pretty stoked right now about not only getting a great scholar athlete in Devon Allen, but also I love the Lubick hire. I'm very excited to have another great coach/recruiter in the fold.

vCash
    Oregon is going after former Arizona Cardinals and Iowa Hawkeyes defensive line coach Ron Aiken. He helped develop players like Darnell Dockett and Calais Campbell into studs, so this would be a huge pickup. I don't know how serious he is about coming back to the college game, but he did interview and Oregon really wants him.

vCash
    That would be another excellent addition to this coaching staff, hopefully we can get him to sign on the dotted line. Isn't that the last coaching position that they need to fill? Nice win today against the hated Huskies! You gotta love how Altman has developed this team in the short time that he has been here. Winning at home is supposed to happen but consistently winning on the road developes confidence and the skies the limit go Ducks!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    That would be another excellent addition to this coaching staff, hopefully we can get him to sign on the dotted line. Isn't that the last coaching position that they need to fill? Nice win today against the hated Huskies! You gotta love how Altman has developed this team in the short time that he has been here. Winning at home is supposed to happen but consistently winning on the road developes confidence and the skies the limit go Ducks!
    Yeah it would be huge hire. The Duck game was awesome today as well! Sold out the MATT after the embarrassing turnout for the Cougs game, and it was loud. It's always great to beat the Huskies, and the "Just like football" chant was hilarious. There was a Husky fan in the crowd that was annoying as hell and yelling Go Huskies over and over, but the win should shut her up! If you want to talk Duck bball, we have a Pac-12 Basketball thread in the College Basketball forum going.

Page 27 of 53 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast