Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Mariota is ****ing awesome. We really need our defensive line to be healthy next week though. After Hart had to leave due to a minor ankle injury, we were then without our entire starting defensive line! I feel bad for Patterson also, and I doubt he's coming back this season...
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    Mariota is unbelievable, say what you want about Manziel but I think we've got the better qb. I almost lost it when I saw him get up and immediatley called for the medical staff. I thought this is it the injury we could not afford to happen just happened but thank God it was prob just a stinger and he made it back in WHEW!!

vCash
    I wonder how many of our injured defensive players will be ready to play against Stanford. I know Patterson is prob done for the yr which I feel for you Patterson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    I wonder how many of our injured defensive players will be ready to play against Stanford. I know Patterson is prob done for the yr which I feel for you Patterson.
    I've heard that Dion Jordan, Taylor Hart, Ricky Heimuli, and Isaac Remington will all be ready to play versus Stanford. It sounds like Wade Keliikipi will be out till a bowl game though. Big loss because he has been awesome at nose for us this year, but at least he will be back down the road. Hopefully Ricky can play because our biggest problem was up the middle, and we were definitely overmatched at times upfront.

vCash
    ^ Good news Brady, hopefully we can start to get healthy on that side of the ball. For all the complaining people (Pinstripe) do about our defense, it's actually pretty impressive that they've been able to compete with all the injuries we've had to important pieces. We still take the ball away and get to the QB, something that's going to need to continue in order for this D to be successful.

vCash
    btw, I think it's kind of ironic that out of the remaining 3 unbeatens, Oregon is the only one with any kind of experience in this situation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by haggis View Post
    ^ Good news Brady, hopefully we can start to get healthy on that side of the ball. For all the complaining people (Pinstripe) do about our defense, it's actually pretty impressive that they've been able to compete with all the injuries we've had to important pieces. We still take the ball away and get to the QB, something that's going to need to continue in order for this D to be successful.
    Totally agree. Giving up 17 points against a Pac-12 team with walk-ons and 2nd/3rd stringers along the defensive line is very impressive.
    btw, I think it's kind of ironic that out of the remaining 3 unbeatens, Oregon is the only one with any kind of experience in this situation.
    Yup, and this experience is very valuable. In 2010 the pressure was almost a bit much for the team and we almost lost at Cal and were generally not sharp (partially due to injuries). This season the program knows how to prepare under these circumstances and the lights won't be too bright. Kansas State and Notre Dame haven't been in this situation in awhile, and it will be interesting to see how they respond. Even great teams with experience like Alabama sometimes can't get through the gauntlet..

vCash
    Avery Patterson out for the rest of the season with a torn ACL

Oregon junior safety Avery Patterson will miss the remainder of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee, a source has told The Oregonian.

Patterson injured his knee in the second quarter of the Ducks' 59-17 victory at Cal on Saturday. It's a significant loss to an Oregon defense reeling from injuries.

The Ducks could also be without defensive tackle Wade Keliikipi for an extended period. Keliikipi did not make the trip with the Ducks to Berkeley, and he was spotted outside of practice Monday on crutches with a large cast on his leg.

Keliikipi has been one of Oregon's most dependable defensive players the past two seasons. He started the first nine games this season, registering 20 tackles, including four for a loss.

Oregon's other starting defensive tackle, junior Taylor Hart, left Oregon's facility with a boot on his left foot Monday. His status for Saturday's game against No. 14 Stanford is unknown.

Oregon played much of the Cal game without its five top defensive linemen. In addition to injuries to Keliikipi and Hart, Dion Jordan (shoulder), Isaac Remington (ankle) Ricky Heimuli (knee) all suited up but did not play.

Patterson became the starting free safety after senior John Boyett, the Ducks' most experienced defender, opted to have season-ending knee surgery in early September.

Patterson is tied for fourth on the team with 44 tackles. He has three interceptions this season, two of which he returned for touchdowns.

Sophomore Erick Dargan is expected to start at free safety for the Ducks against Stanford.

Two of Oregon's backup cornerbacks, Troy Hill and Dior Mathis, also sat out the Cal game with unspecified injuries.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...l#incart_river

vCash
    Oregon's De'Anthony Thomas could play defense this week against Stanford, source says

In what appeared to be just another one of his spectacular highlight plays, De'Anthony Thomas turned around at the last moment, leaped near the sideline and came down with a one-handed catch while dragging a foot inbounds.

This happened during informal warmups at an Oregon practice. Except, it wasn't the typical highlight from Oregon's do-it-all sophomore standout. This particular grab happened at a practice leading up to the Rose Bowl last December, and it happened in front of Oregon receiver B.J. Kelley — with Thomas playing defensive back.

While dabbling in defense back then, Thomas could have a much more demanding role on the other side of the ball this week.

With Oregon's defense depleted by injuries, a UO source said Monday that it's possible Thomas will play defensive back when the No. 1 Ducks play host to No. 14 Stanford on Saturday at Autzen Stadium.

"I wouldn't be surprised," the UO source said.

Oregon's defensive secondary is particularly thin. The latest loss is to junior free safety Avery Patterson, who is out for the remainder of the season after tearing the anterior cruciate ligament in his left knee during the Ducks' victory over California on Saturday, according to another UO source.

Patterson became the starting free safety only after senior John Boyett, a preseason All-America candidate, opted to have season-ending surgery on both of his knees in early September.

Two of Oregon's backup cornerbacks, Troy Hill and Dior Mathis, also sat out the Cal game with injuries. That left the Ducks with just two healthy cornerbacks -- sophomore starters Terrance Mitchell and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu -- who have extensive experience.

"That's hard back there, but obviously we're going to try to get somebody ready," UO defensive coordinator Nick Aliotti said after practice Monday.

"We're getting thinner," he added, "but we'll find a way to make this work."

Thomas was the nation's No. 1 cornerback prospect two years ago at Los Angeles' Crenshaw High School -- and the nation's No. 1 "athlete."

He was a "gunner" on Oregon's punt coverage as a true freshman last season and was credited with two tackles. (He has two tackles this season, too.)

If Thomas were to play at cornerback, the Ducks could move Ekpre-Olomu to safety -- where he has practiced in the past -- and keep sophomore Erick Dargan as the nickel cornerback and the backup at both safety spots.

Thomas, the Ducks' leading receiver last year, emerged as a Heisman candidate with a sensational September this season. Those Heisman hopes have faded against Pac-12 competition, but Thomas remains one of the most explosive players in college football.

In 24 games for Oregon, Thomas has scored 30 total touchdowns as a runner, receiver and returner.

Last month Aliotti was asked specifically about playing Thomas as a cornerback.

"In a heartbeat. In a heartbeat," Aliotti said. "But let's not go there."

Some have suggested that Oregon sophomore receiver Keanon Lowe, a two-way star at Jesuit High, could also be a candidate to fill in as a defensive back.

USC star receiver Marqise Lee made the same move last week, practicing at safety. He entered the game briefly as a safety against Arizona State on Saturday and is expected to continue practicing on both offense and defense.

Thomas originally committed to USC before his senior year of high school. After he switched his commitment and signed with Oregon, one rumor suggested that USC wanted to use Thomas as a defensive back — and not on offense. Thomas, however, has said that was not his reason for choosing the Ducks.
    http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/inde...incart_m-rpt-2

vCash
    I kind of knew Patterson was done, and it is very disappointing. Playing De'Anthony on defense shows what kind of football IQ that De'Anthony has, but I hope it doesn't come to that. I do think he has the ability to be a factor defensively (#1 Rated CB in HS), but I want him focusing on offense...

vCash
    Yeah, if DAT actually sees the field as a DB **** has really hit the fan

vCash
    Yeah, if DAT actually sees the field as a DB **** has really hit the fan
    Yeah, we have had so many injuries on defense. Troy Hill and Dior Mathis may not play so we are basically down to two healthy corners. If we were healthy then I'd say Oregon wins big, but with our injuries it could make this a game. According to Rob Moseley, Ricky Heimuli may be out this week also. Still has a boot on and Moseley didn't have a good vibe on him being ready. Hart still has a boot on as well, but I think he will play...

vCash
    Sounds like Heimuli, Jordan, Hart, and Remington will all play. Absolutely huge, and this makes me feel much better about this game. Bad news on the recruiting front though. Alex Redmond decommitted....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BradyIsTheMan12 View Post
    Sounds like Heimuli, Jordan, Hart, and Remington will all play. Absolutely huge, and this makes me feel much better about this game. Bad news on the recruiting front though. Alex Redmond decommitted....
    True huge good news with the returning d linemen. I hate to see Redmond decommit cuz he would be a beast on our o line. The thing that is frustrating is if we start having more and more decommits that makes me think they are buying into all this talk about ck going to the nfl after the season. Really at this point ck heading to the nfl is all hear say. I mean he may go or may not I would hate to think that is the reasoning some of these recruits are believing when they decommit. Hopefully I'm completely wrong which I love to be wrong about these type of things. Hell for all we know Redmond might commit back again at the end of it all.

vCash
    Hopefully we can keep the D line healthy now.

I was worried earlier this week about this game, but now I really have a feeling that we are going to dismantle Stanford. I know their defense has greatly improved this year, but it doesn't match up well at all with Chip's offense. We always kill them on the edges and with the quick passing game. They've been barely able to keep up with legitimate NFL talent littered all over their offense the past couple of seasons and now they have a freshman QB making his first road start. In Autzen. At night.

Page 16 of 53 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast