Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Tim Beckham dismissed from Illinois

Big deal right now, not just due to the season being less than a week away, but all the reports surrounding how Beckham was mis-treating his players. Cubit should be a solid replacement for now, but this may be a popular job near the end of the year for someone to take.

The 2015 season has not even begun yet, but it appears we have our first fired coach.

Illinois announced on Friday afternoon that it has fired coach Tim Beckman ahead of its first game.

Here's what you need to know about what went into Illinois' decision, and where the program will go from here.

1. The decision was made following preliminary results of an external review into allegations involving the football program. Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas said the decision to fire Beckman came after he received preliminary information from an investigation into the football program. The investigation of Beckman and the Illinois football program -- as well as other Illinois athletic programs -- came following allegations of mistreatment by former players.

“The preliminary information external reviewers shared with me does not reflect our values or our commitment to the welfare of our student-athletes, and I've chosen to act accordingly,” said Illinois athletic director Mike Thomas in a release. “During the review, we have asked people not to rush to judgment, but I now have enough information to make this decision in assessing the status and direction of the football program.”

2. The information received alleged that Beckman pressured players to play through their injuries. Thomas said that, during a briefing with external reviewers, he learned of efforts on Beckman's part to "deter injury reporting and influence medical decisions that pressured players to avoid or postpone medical treatment and continue playing despite injuries."

“Both of those findings are unsettling violations of University policy and practice and do not reflect the culture that we wish to create in athletic programs for our young people,” Thomas said. “I expect my coaches to protect players and foster their success on and off the field.”

3. Offensive coordinator Bill Cubit will take over as interim head coach. Cubit came to Illinois for the 2013 season and took over the offense. Before joining Illinois, though, Cubit had plenty of experience running his own program. He was the head coach at Western Michigan from 2005-17, going 51-47 in eight seasons. Cubit will receive a $400,000 raise ($100,000 per month) now that he's been promoted to interim head coach.

Read More: http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...ch-tim-beckman

vCash
    Statement released by Beckham today:

“I am shocked and extremely disappointed by the decision Mike Thomas and the University of Illinois made today regarding my employment as head coach of the football team," Beckman said in the statement. "First and foremost, I firmly deny the implications in Mike's statements that I took any action that was not in the best interests of the health, safety and well-being of my players. The health and well-being of our student-athletes is of paramount importance to me, and any statement made to the contrary is utterly false. Additionally, in connection with scholarships for student-athletes, I have complied with the policies and regulations of both the university and the NCAA and I have fully supported the university compliance office. Moreover, all of the actions that I took regarding individual scholarships were in lockstep with the university's appointed personnel and the directions and approvals I received from university officials.

“I fully cooperated with the university's investigation, having sat down for two lengthy interviews and turning over all documentation requested of me. The fact that the university did not even complete its investigation in this matter is evidence that this entire process was nothing more than a rush to judgment and confirms the university's abject bad faith. Furthermore, the university's actions today are in violation of the procedures mandated under my employment agreement. As such, I will vigorously defend both my reputation and my legal rights.

“I am very proud of my career at the University of Illinois. Off-field incidents involving my players have been essentially non-existent while academic performance and graduation rates have been extraordinary. The love and support I have received today from my players means everything to me.”

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...er-being-fired