Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonjw18 View Post
    Why would we trade Jenkins for burleson? Doesn't Jenkins suck?. Pretty sure he has been awful for the cowboys, which is the reason the cowboys brought in Carr and drafted Claiborne. Not only that, but Jenkins is currently injured.

Burleson is on the decline and over paid, but this seems like an awful trade. Burleson can still contribute. We already have a bunch of average corners w upside.
    I may be thinking too much in to this article but here are some things to consider why it might be true:

1. We have a log-jam of recievers now. Johnson, Young and Broyles are the top three of course. Beyond that, we appear to be pretty happy with Stovall and Edwards as #4-#5 WR.

2. If we carry six WR, which I expect we will, we just signed Osgood who is a WR and can contribute on special teams. Burelson doesn't play special teams. Most WR who are #4-#5 on the depth chart need to be able to play special teams.

3. Dallas needs a WR badly. In addition, they need a veteran leader to help mentor troubled WR Dez Bryant. Burleson has done that for us in detroit since he arrived.

4. Calvin Johnson has a HUGE contract and is one if the best players in the NFL. With that big contract SHOULD come the expectation to step in a be the leader that Burelson is now.

5. Burleson is due over 4/M next season. It is also his final season on contract. We can sign Jenkins to a long-term contract with that money back.

6. Probably the most important factor, I haven't heard ANYTHING about Burleson in training camp or have yet to see any production in the pre-season out of him.....how do we know he hasn't "lost a step" from last season with his age.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mc18641 View Post
    I may be thinking too much in to this article but here are some things to consider why it might be true:

1. We have a log-jam of recievers now. Johnson, Young and Broyles are the top three of course. Beyond that, we appear to be pretty happy with Stovall and Edwards as #4-#5 WR.

2. If we carry six WR, which I expect we will, we just signed Osgood who is a WR and can contribute on special teams. Burelson doesn't play special teams. Most WR who are #4-#5 on the depth chart need to be able to play special teams.

3. Dallas needs a WR badly. In addition, they need a veteran leader to help mentor troubled WR Dez Bryant. Burleson has done that for us in detroit since he arrived.

4. Calvin Johnson has a HUGE contract and is one if the best players in the NFL. With that big contract SHOULD come the expectation to step in a be the leader that Burelson is now.

5. Burleson is due over 4/M next season. It is also his final season on contract. We can sign Jenkins to a long-term contract with that money back.

6. Probably the most important factor, I haven't heard ANYTHING about Burleson in training camp or have yet to see any production in the pre-season out of him.....how do we know he hasn't "lost a step" from last season with his age.
    i believe we are only carrying 5 wr's and the osgood signing might make stovall the odd man out-source rotoworld

burleson is currently the 2nd or 3rd wr on the depth chart (i have heard conflicting reports). broyles is still not 100% yet and i doubt he will over take burleson this year

calvin is a leader on the field, however he is not one in the locker room. it just is not his personality. burleson is a leader in the locker room and he would be sorely missed if he were traded

burleson is over paid, but i am sure he would take a pay cut next season if asked.

Nate Burleson has not missed a single rep so far at Lions camp.
    Burleson, who turns 31 on Sunday, battled ankle and elbow injuries during his first two seasons as a Lion. This year, he has lost 10 pounds and is a picture of perfect health. We're expecting Burleson to open the season as a starter in two-wide sets, but he'll be pushed weekly by exciting second-year man Titus Young. source-rotoworld

still the biggest question, why would we trade a vocal leader and player that contributes on the field for a player who has done zero the last two seasons? Not only that, but he is coming off shoulder surgery and has not recovered yet.

bottom line, i rather have burleson for the next two years than a player who has under achieved his whole career. we already have/had enough of those players in our secondary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by brandonjw18 View Post
    Why would we trade Jenkins for burleson? Doesn't Jenkins suck?. Pretty sure he has been awful for the cowboys, which is the reason the cowboys brought in Carr and drafted Claiborne. Not only that, but Jenkins is currently injured.

Burleson is on the decline and over paid, but this seems like an awful trade. Burleson can still contribute. We already have a bunch of average corners w upside.
    Very good point. I was thinking Broyles and Scheffler are more then capable of filling Burleson's shoes, but maybe waiting until Broyles looks like he can play all 16 games would be wise.

vCash
    Also not setting a very good example and precedence by taking a guy who just re-structured his contract for the franchise to be able to extend Calvin, then just shipping him off. Or shipping off your veteran leader(s) in any event for that fact.

To be honest, after watching Hard Knocks last Tuesday I was more upset we couldn't give up a 2nd rounder to snag up Vontae Davis!! Sure, I'm hopeful our 2nd rounder won't look as appealing as a Colts 2nd rounder this offseason, but still! He would have helped a lot more than Jenkins IMO.

Scrap Detroit!!

Quote Originally Posted by basch152 View Post
    First of all, players like Matthews and Ware actually ARE overrated...

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz View Post
    Also not setting a very good example and precedence by taking a guy who just re-structured his contract for the franchise to be able to extend Calvin, then just shipping him off. Or shipping off your veteran leader(s) in any event for that fact.

To be honest, after watching Hard Knocks last Tuesday I was more upset we couldn't give up a 2nd rounder to snag up Vontae Davis!! Sure, I'm hopeful our 2nd rounder won't look as appealing as a Colts 2nd rounder this offseason, but still! He would have helped a lot more than Jenkins IMO.
    Agreed 100%. Nate wont be going anywhere. He is one of our leaders...somthing this young team absolutely needs.

I thought the same thing about Davis too. That intereception that got called back was funny only because the coaches acted like it was the end of the world.

Anybody hear about Greenwood over the cmp was going on? Good or bad? I really can't find much.

vCash
    He's been on the PUP list. Week 6 I think is his targeted return. Other than that, nothing really.

Catches: 19 Yards: 171 TDs: 1

vCash

I don't think Burleson is going to end up anywhere else at this point but the fact that he restructured his contract shouldn't detour us either.

All he did was take some of his salary and restucture it as a signing bonus so the money could be spread across two seasons instead of one. His money stayed the same.

If he actually accepted a pay cut, that would have been a different story but it's not like he really went out of his way to do the team a favor in this case.

You have to consider, what would have been Burleson's alternative? Not restructure and be released......good luck finding another team that would have paid him over 4M next season at 31 years old and four years removed from 1,000 yard season.

If we were paying people to be "locker room leaders" then Tebow should be one of the highest paid QB out there but production comes first.

I am a Burleson fan too but this is a business and being objective about personnel is an important piece to keep a winning product on the field. Truth is he is getting old, Broyles has shown A LOT of promise and only so many WR can take the field at once. If you include our TE (Pettigrew and Scheffler), we have more legitimate recieving weapons than anyone in the NFL already.
    Last edited by mc18641; 08-31-2012 at 02:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Agreed 100%. Nate wont be going anywhere. He is one of our leaders...somthing this young team absolutely needs.

I thought the same thing about Davis too. That intereception that got called back was funny only because the coaches acted like it was the end of the world.

Anybody hear about Greenwood over the cmp was going on? Good or bad? I really can't find much.
    I agree with you that Burleson is a leader and has been an asset to our team but wouldn't you say it's about time that Calvin Johnson takes that role now?

Calvin is not young anymore (going into 6th season), he is considered a veteran. And just signed a 130M contract. I know he is quiet by nature, but for 130M I don't think it is too much to ask him to learn how to speak up and be a leader!!

They send Managers from McDonald's and Burger King to leadership seminars, surely there is something out there (or someone) as a resource that can help Calvin to develop his leadership skills.

He went to a great school at Georgia Tech. I know he has the mental capacity to learn to lead.
    Last edited by mc18641; 08-31-2012 at 02:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mc18641 View Post
    I don't think Burleson is going to end up anywhere else at this point but the fact that he restructured his contract shouldn't detour us either.

All he did was take some of his salary and restucture it as a signing bonus so the money could be spread across two seasons instead of one. His money stayed the same.

If he actually accepted a pay cut, that would have been a different story but it's not like he really went out of his way to do the team a favor in this case.

You have to consider, what would have been Burleson's alternative? Not restructure and be released......good luck finding another team that would have paid him over 4M next season at 31 years old and four years removed from 1,000 yard season.

If we were paying people to be "locker room leaders" then Tebow should be one of the highest paid QB out there but production comes first.

I am a Burleson fan too but this is a business and being objective about personnel is an important piece to keep a winning product on the field. Truth is he is getting old, Broyles has shown A LOT of promise and only so many WR can take the field at once. If you include our TE (Pettigrew and Scheffler), we have more legitimate recieving weapons than anyone in the NFL already.
    Do you think our trouble guys like Young, Fairley are going to listen to a guy like Tim Tebow? The complete opposite to a guy like Burleson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blink View Post
    Do you think our trouble guys like Young, Fairley are going to listen to a guy like Tim Tebow? The complete opposite to a guy like Burleson.
    They obviosly don't listen to Burleson either since they broke the law multiple times.

If you watch NFL Total Access, Nate was on there after Fairley and LeShoure got arrested the first time and he admitted on national television that he spoke with them about those arrests.....then they get in trouble again AND Berry gets in trouble.

They brought Nate back on Total Access again after all of it happened a second time and he had to stand there and eat crow trying to explain what went wrong again.

Not a very good point to make on his leadership when the NFL network calls him out like that.

I like Burleson but he looked foolish up there on that show the second time around trying to make excuses for those guys.

vCash
    I don't think a guy like Tim Tebow is really much of a leader...he's more of a splitter. Not everyone is going to agree with his firm beliefs, and he's going to put a wedge in between those that do, and those that don't. I don't think some young wannabe thug like Fairley wants to hear some upper middle class white boy coming up to him preaching about god and jesus.

Nate can at least talk the talk and speak to the guys in a voice they associate with.

Scrap Detroit!!

No, the best comparison to Miggy is Albert Pujols. And I'll be honest, Cabrera doesn't really compare favorably to Pujols.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by driz:23494397
    I don't think a guy like Tim Tebow is really much of a leader...he's more of a splitter. Not everyone is going to agree with his firm beliefs, and he's going to put a wedge in between those that do, and those that don't. I don't think some young wannabe thug like Fairley wants to hear some upper middle class white boy coming up to him preaching about god and jesus.

Nate can at least talk the talk and speak to the guys in a voice they associate with.
    That's a pretty bold and presumptuous analysis of people being divided by tebow because he's a "upper middle class white guy". if anything puts people off about him its the unwarranted attention he receives in lieu of more deserving players.

Look at the Florida team tebow lead to a title, there are plenty of players from that team that would fit your stereo typing of young black players. they still came together on the field.

Regardless of any of that, this is a business that pays for production from its players. burleson is not worth 5 million per year regardless of his suggested " leadership". he gets paid to play football not play big brother to the rest of the team. if thats his value he shouldn't be making anything.more than the vets minimum. titus young is cheaper, younger, and on the up swing. broyles was drafted to take over that slot role, which makes burr irrelevant based solely on the difference in salary and age. 5 million is way too much for a 4th receiver, he'll be cut and replaced in the draft or with someone younger/cheaper via free agency that's capable of also contributing on.special teams.

IamDanGill on twitter.

vCash

Seems a bit racist on both sides.

vCash
    Hell I'm a middle class white boy and Tebow would annoy the living hell out of me, too.

I'm just saying...no one wants to have someone throwing jesus down their throats in the middle of a locker room. And I don't think a kid like tebow coming into an NFL locker room is just taking things over and leading the youth being drafted into the league. It's all blinged out suits, big ol diamonds and looking flashy at the Draft.

Scrap Detroit!!

vCash
    Hell I'm a middle class white boy and Tebow would annoy the living hell out of me, too.

I'm just saying...no one wants to have someone throwing jesus down their throats in the middle of a locker room. And I don't think a kid like tebow coming into an NFL locker room is just taking things over and leading the youth being drafted into the league. It's all blinged out suits, big ol diamonds and looking flashy at the Draft.

Scrap Detroit!!

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast