Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Jahvid Best (concussions) believes he could still resume his career at some point in the future.
    Best says he "(feels) normal" when he wakes up in the morning, and is holding out hope his career isn't through. "They told me I can’t say this season but they didn’t shut the door," Best said. "Me as a person, I’m a glass half full kind of guy. If you don’t shut the door then there’s still a way." By nearly every account, Best is now symptom free, but he's yet to find a doctor who will clear him to resume playing. That will only get harder as more time passes. Best's Dynasty prospects are not bright.
    Makes no sense. The only reason he isn't getting cleared is because they don't want him to get another concussion.

vCash
    roto-
    Coach Jim Schwartz wouldn't rule out the possibility that Titus Young's benching could last the rest of the season.
    Asked if Young may not play again in 2012, Schwartz replied, "Potentially." Pressed on what Young needs to prove, Schwartz added, "It's more of when he gets back with the team, if he gets back with the team ... The team and he both needed a little time away." Schwartz did allow that it's "way too soon to tell" if Young has played his last game with the Lions. Consider Ryan Broyles the starter opposite Calvin Johnson for the final five games.

roto-
    Dave Birkett of the Detroit Free Press believes Ryan Broyles has bypassed Titus Young on the Lions' receiver depth chart for good.
    Birkett expects Broyles to be Detroit's No. 2 receiver moving forward, citing the rookie's dependability and polished route-running chops. Broyles racked up 11 targets on Thanksgiving Day, securing six for 126 yards and narrowly missing out on a first-quarter touchdown. Particularly in PPR leagues, Broyles is going to be an awfully attractive stretch-run WR3 fantasy play.
    Don't just read our posts, JOIN US! click here
    2011 AND 2012 JWE & Strives Lions prediction game Champion
    Lions Forum: 5 Time OTT Winner#1,#6,#10, #12 & #14
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    Lffs is the master at going from goofball to boss

vCash
    roto-
    Lions DT Ndamukong Suh will not be suspended for his Thanksgiving kick of Matt Schaub.
    Suh kicked Schaub in a sensitive area, but the league must believe intent couldn't be determined from the slow-motion replays. The act certainly appeared unnatural, and left the Texans appropriately steamed. Schaub called Suh "not Houston Texan-worthy" on Monday. Suh played perhaps his best game of the season in the Lions' overtime loss. Colts QB Andrew Luck would be well served to wear a cup on Sunday.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Lionsfanfromsac;24487411]roto-
    Coach Jim Schwartz wouldn't rule out the possibility that Titus Young's benching could last the rest of the season.
    Asked if Young may not play again in 2012, Schwartz replied, "Potentially." Pressed on what Young needs to prove, Schwartz added, "It's more of when he gets back with the team, if he gets back with the team ... The team and he both needed a little time away." Schwartz did allow that it's "way too soon to tell" if Young has played his last game with the Lions. Consider Ryan Broyles the starter opposite Calvin Johnson for the final five games.

QUOTE]

I took this from the Eli/Rodgers thread in the NFL forum:

The punishment did some good

"Rams head coach Jeff Fisher is trying to change the culture in St. Louis from a losing mentality to a winning one, and sometimes that means tough love. Fisher benched two of his rising stars a few weeks ago and suffered through a tie with the San Francisco 49ers.

Maybe the Rams would have won that game with CB Janoris Jenkins and wide receiver Chris Givens, but Fisher was looking at a much bigger picture. I couldn't help but think of the positive effect that discipline had on his two young players two weeks later as the Rams beat the Cardinals in a division matchup. Givens led the Rams with five receptions, 115 yards and a touchdown, and Jenkins returned two interceptions for touchdowns. The two young men combined for 21 of the 31 points the Rams scored.

Maybe, just maybe, while the two very talented players stood on the sideline in street clothes a few weeks ago they realized that pro football is a privilege not a right."

I hope just Maybe JS finally learned something from Fisher. I like this approach, teach the divas that they have to earn a roster spot and that they are not entitled to one.

vCash
    roto=
    Interim coach Bruce Arians said the Colts will not use anyone as a shadow corner on Calvin Johnson Sunday.
    "We'll play our positions," said Arians. That means Johnson will see some of Cassius Vaughn, some of Darius Butler and maybe even some of Josh Gordy. Top Colts corner Vontae Davis is questionable with a knee injury. It's a dream situation for Johnson, who has totaled 490 yards and three touchdowns in the last three weeks.

megatron could have a mega day

vCash
    ESPN SC NFL - Lions DT Ndamukong Suh fined $30,000, says he didn't mean to kick Texans QB Matt Schaub, won't apologize

vCash
    Good he doesn't need to. If hes not apologizing then he probably didn't mean to kick him.

vCash
    Rolando McClain going to be cut? Damn, I wanted him so bad a few years ago in the draft, but we weren't in position to get him.
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    McClain is a crappy player that happens to be a thug. I wouldn't touch him if I were a GM.

vCash
    contract is too much for us anyways... and guess he never lived up to his potential. Can't have him and Tulloch being paid at MLB
    "The way they play offense here is difficult for any quarterback," he said. "Every snap is an incredible decision. They're in a one-back offense, they can't run the ball against certain looks so they have to audible to some kind of a pass or a creative run to get away from trouble.
    "There's never a play in the game where Stafford can just turn around, hand the ball off and catch his breath. Every play he's researching the defense and they throw as much as anyone."

vCash
    Johnson: “That would be huge breaking Jerry Rice’s record. That’s a landmark.”
    Posted by Chrissie Wywrot on November 28, 2012 – 5:44 pm

“Our last game was physically and emotionally draining in all kinds of ways. We were out there through the whole quarter of overtime, that’s the physical aspect of it, and then the ups and downs during the game. Then it being Thanksgiving – it was taxing.
    “This season has been tough, but we put ourselves in the situation. So the only thing we can do is keep working and finish the season strong. We need to bring those things together that we’ve been struggling on, whether it be missed assignments or whatever else it might be that’s holding us back. Eliminate those things during these last five games and get ourselves going in the right direction.
    “That would be huge breaking Jerry Rice’s record. That’s a landmark. That’s crazy. You never know when you’re going to be in this position again so you have to best take advantage of it.
    “Breaking it is possible, definitely possible. You just have to get over that 100 mark every game, which is not hard. I’m definitely thinking about it, but I just have to keep on working, keep it in the back of my mind, but still focus on the task at hand.
    “When I first really got into football, Steve Young, Jerry – they were the duo that everybody wanted to be like. Everybody wanted to have that kind of chemistry as far as a wide receiver and a quarterback goes. That kind of chemistry on the field, that’s what everybody wants. That’s what everybody strives for to put up those kind of numbers.”
    jim schwartz“I’m just glad that the third-best receiver on their team is on our team,” .

vCash
    Having Johnson make a serious run at the record can help win games, starting Sunday against the Colts. And it can give the Lions an emotional lift.
    The record total towers above anything put together by any other wide receiver in NFL history: 1,848 receiving yards in a season.

So does the player who accomplished it: Jerry Rice, who set the record in 1995 with the San Francisco 49ers, has been voted the No. 1 player in NFL history in separate polls of fans and a panel of experts for the NFL Network.

Rice's status as the best player of all time is not in immediate jeopardy. No player ever dominated the statistics at his position the way Rice did in in a 20-season career, most of it spent with the 49ers.

But Rice's record for receiving yards in a season is getting a serious challenge from Calvin Johnson. Through the Lions' first 11 games, Megatron has a league-high 1,257 yards. He needs 591 yards to tie Rice's record and 592 to break it in the last five games.

Johnson needs to average 118.4 yards per game in the last five games to break Rice's record. That is well within Johnson's reach, and the opinion here is simple and direct: Go for it.

There is no downside to getting the ball to the NFL's best offensive player, as long as it isn't done as some gimmick – such as a basketball player deliberately banking a shot off his own rim to get a rebound to complete a triple-double.

Having Johnson make a serious run at the record can help win games, starting Sunday against the Colts. And it can give the Lions an emotional lift. He is popular with teammates because of his low-key attitude and unselfish play.

Go for it, for sure.

Johnson remains the quintessential team player, but even he is intrigued by the pursuit of history.

"That wouldn't be huge, breaking Jerry Rice's record," Johnson said, speaking in conjunction with his weekly blog for detroitlions.com.

"That's a landmark. That's crazy. You never know when you're going to be in this position again, so you have to take best advantage of it.

"Breaking it is possible - definitely possible. You just have to get over that 100 mark every game, which is not hard. I'm definitely thinking about it, but I just have to keep on working, keep it in the back of my mind, but still focus on the task at hand."

Johnson recalls how Jerry Rice and Steve Young – a pair of Hall of Famers – were the hottest combination in the NFL.

"When I first really got into football, Steve Young, Jerry - they were the duo that everybody wanted to be like," Johnson said. "Everybody wanted to have that kind of chemistry as far as a wide receiver and a quarterback goes.

"That kind of chemistry on the field, that's what everybody wants. That's what everybody strives for, to put up those kind of numbers."

Again, go for it - especially if Johnson wants to.

There is no guarantee that he'll break it.

Isaac Bruce is the only player to finish within 100 yards of Rice's record. Bruce had 1,785 with the St. Louis Rams, also in 1995.

Johnson has the seventh highest total, with 1,681 in 2011.

For the Lions, there is no downside to getting the ball to the NFL's best offensive player.

Kicker Jason Hanson experienced how Barry Sanders' landmark performance lifted the Lions to the playoffs in 1997.

Sanders rushed for 2,053 yards, and the team fed off his brilliance, winning five of the last six games to finish 9-7 and make the NFC playoffs as a Wild Card.

Sanders finished off his magical regular season with a 184-yard performance in a final-game 13-7 win over the Jets that put the Lions in the playoffs.

"Guys feed off great individual performances," Hanson said. "It was exciting. Everybody wants your teammates to do well. When it's special like that, it adds to the energy."

The Lions are in a deep hole at 4-7 and need to win their last five games to have any chance to make the playoffs.

The Lions played with a high energy level in home losses to the Packers and Texans in the last two games. There's no reason to think they wouldn't get an additional boost from Johnson's pursuit of Rice's record.

"It's a big deal," Hanson said. "Obviously, Calvin is a world-class athlete. It's a team thing, too. You think everybody would give 110 percent already.

"You give 111 when you've got a guy who's going for something. Everybody gets excited for it."

The buzz about the record is building among Johnson's teammates, especially on offense. They think it adds motivation.

"Guys were talking about it today," said rookie receiver Ryan Broyles. "We want to get him to that mark. The guys around him, receivers, have to catch balls to take the pressure off him so he can get there.

"That would be great. Everyone knows who Jerry Rice is. To be able to chalk that one up in the books and one day tell my kids I played with this guy - that would be a huge deal for him, a milestone for him in his career."

The inspiration extends - or, perhaps, starts - to the blockers up front.

"I want to see him do it," said guard Rob Sims. "I think the world of the guy on and off the field. Does it make me play harder? If I can find a way to do that, I will. I think so much of the guy on and off the field. You want him to have it all."

Tackle Gosder Cherilus knows that Johnson's commitment is to winning games, but breaking Rice's record couldn't hurt that.

"Looking at Calvin, he'd rather turn his records into wins, which is what we're trying to do," Cherilus said.

"But it would be good to be a part of it."
    jim schwartz“I’m just glad that the third-best receiver on their team is on our team,” .

vCash
    clip notes plez

PSD's Sling Blade and lions forum bouncer

2013 tied for 1st place -PSD(lions forum) NFL pick'em
    2012 Lions draft contest winner
    Lions OTT #2 #3 #16 winner
    2010, 2011, 2012 best argument

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I'm a Lions fan we aren't allowed to dream of success so I don't let others do so either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    clip notes plez
    i was thinking the same thing..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by det32 View Post
    clip notes plez
    basically just talking about Johnson breaking Rice's record and relating it to the year Barry rushed for 2k and we made the playoffs from his momentum. Hoping to do the same thing this year. Guys feed of the momentum basically lol

Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast