Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Could Jonte Green move to Saftey

Last April after drafting Green I read in my draft magazine that some scouts thought he be better at safety in the NFL than corner. He is a better hitter than a cover man and he has long arms a typical build for a safety. If we were to draft a corner in the first or second round (presumably to start as a rookie) and find ourselves week at safety would anyone be shocked if we move him to FS next year. If we don't draft heavy at safety this off season we will find ourselves with a shortage of healthy safeties throughout the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFLA View Post
    Last April after drafting Green I read in my draft magazine that some scouts thought he be better at safety in the NFL than corner. He is a better hitter than a cover man and he has long arms a typical build for a safety. If we were to draft a corner in the first or second round (presumably to start as a rookie) and find ourselves week at safety would anyone be shocked if we move him to FS next year. If we don't draft heavy at safety this off season we will find ourselves with a shortage of healthy safeties throughout the season.
    He is a better than average tackler, but he needs to beef up a bit. If he did, I would love to see him get a chance back there. He can;t be any worse than Carey or Spievey.

2013 & 2014 Lions Forum Draft Prediction Game Champion

vCash
    He can;t be any worse than Carey or Spievey.
    this

vCash
    He would probably be better at safety.
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    I thought that was the plan for Chris Greenwood. I could be mistaken though.

Catches: Yards: TDs:

vCash
    during the combine this year mayock was talking about when cornerbacks make the switch to safety in the nfl. he was talking about how it is much harder than just moving a guy over because all the angles are different in which you play and the field vision has to change dramatically. so unless they have some experience playing safety it is usually a lot easier said than done.

that's pretty much all he had to say about it but basically it made a lot of sense to me in the fact that if a guy isnt used to watching for certain things or playing certain angles it can be a long and more difficult transition than most people would think. that being said i have no idea if jonte green would be good or not back there.
    i really just hope we address the safety position properly. draft a true safety with experience and a good track record. and if jonte green doesnt work out at corner or on special teams, he was only a 6th round pick.

vCash
    I get Green and Greenwood mixed up, even though I’ve never seen Greenwood play, but I know there was mention that one or maybe two of the young corners could be used at safety. Maybe Greenwood is the better candidate but from what I saw of Green, I could see him playing safety. He is physical enough and looks like a react-type player. You have to be extremely quick to be a read and react corner but a read and react safety is a little easier and I thought Green looked like he could fill that role.

Green looked pretty good last year and I think he can figure into the rotation somewhere either corner or safety. The problem is we can’t depend on most of the young guys yet because they haven’t shown a whole lot so Mayhew is going to have to carry a lot of DBs as insurance.

I’m actually ok with Mayhew going into the season with a plan of starting some or all of the kids he drafted last year. We can’t spend money on every position because guys like Stafford, Johnson and Suh are going to command a lot of premium cap-space. Mayhew is going to have to patch-work a few positions, especially on the defense, and with the depth at CB that’s probably a position he is going to have to roll the dice with.

There is no obvious solution for the secondary which is why I would advocate shoring up the o-line in the draft with the first pick. It would be a similar situation if we drafted Milliner so why not go with a Fisher and lock up our tackles. It probably gives us a better shot at winning next year too. I wouldn’t want to have to score 50 every game but if Stafford has time we might be able to. I think there are going to be more 3rd -5th round corners for Mayhew to pick up as well and he can throw them into the mix and hope to come out with 2 starting CBs.
    #66 LaAdrian Waddle

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by newmain View Post
    i really just hope we address the safety position properly. draft a true safety with experience and a good track record. and if jonte green doesnt work out at corner or on special teams, he was only a 6th round pick.
    I agree with what you are saying about the need to draft a safety. I personally think it is our number one need. I am also amazed that given Mayhew played safety he does not appreciate the positions importance in my eyes. But I definitively disagree about saying that Green is only a 6th round pick (and I recognize that we took him in the 6th round). I thought he was easily the biggest surprise and most improved rookie last season. Arguably the rookie of the year (not saying much). I just think he might be better off in the long run playing safety, and I think he is a hard enough worker and talented enough to get significant playing time at either positions (CB or Safety) next season.

vCash
    We are hurting for Safties! Why not give him a chance?

What position would you rather draft in the 3rd round?
    Safety
    OR
    Corner

vCash
    I agree with what you are saying about the need to draft a safety. I personally think it is our number one need. I am also amazed that given Mayhew played safety he does not appreciate the positions importance in my eyes. But I definitively disagree about saying that Green is only a 6th round pick (and I recognize that we took him in the 6th round). I thought he was easily the biggest surprise and most improved rookie last season. Arguably the rookie of the year (not saying much). I just think he might be better off in the long run playing safety, and I think he is a hard enough worker and talented enough to get significant playing time at either positions (CB or Safety) next season.
    He had 29 tackles and 1 INT.

Are you saying he played like a 1st or 2nd rounder???

vCash
    I would rather just draft a saftey this year...this is a really deep class for saftey talent and if we don't come away with one then this regime needs to be fired after the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by garnotm View Post
    I would rather just draft a safety this year...this is a really deep class for safety talent and if we don't come away with one then this regime needs to be fired after the draft.
    fixed

vCash
    were not that team to be trying out **** yet. we gotta get the basics down first. lets see if he can be a starting CB first. we tryed this **** with spivey already....didnt work out. lets get a guy thats more comfortable back there. i like green as a CB so far....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    He had 29 tackles and 1 INT.

Are you saying he played like a 1st or 2nd rounder???
    That's kinda putting words in my mouth. I just wouldn't treat him like a 6th round pick. More like 3rd or 4th. When you consider how bad he was at the beginning of the season his stats don't sound to bad, he didn't even step on the field for the first 5 games. Right now I'd rather have him than any of our rookies aside from Reiff. Are you saying that you would rather have Ronnell Lewis?

vCash
    That's kinda putting words in my mouth. I just wouldn't treat him like a 6th round pick. More like 3rd or 4th. When you consider how bad he was at the beginning of the season his stats don't sound to bad, he didn't even step on the field for the first 5 games. Right now I'd rather have him than any of our rookies aside from Reiff. Are you saying that you would rather have Ronnell Lewis?
    When you say not to treat someone like a 6th round pick, I don't expect you to mean 3rd or 4th. Are you really that astute in your scouting abilities that you can tell the difference between a 6th round and a 4th round player? Come on.

And I never mentioned not wanting him around or saying anything at all about Ronnell Lewis. Who's putting words in mouths now???

In response to your first post, I think Green played like a rookie. If he was an early round pick, I would be very disappointed. He was drafted later and he played like it. As far as Lewis goes, who knows? Can anyone have a really valid opinion of him after last year?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast