Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Where Does Boston Finish?

Voters
4. You may not vote on this poll
  • Makes Playoffs by Being Top 3 in Atlantic

0 0%
  • Makes Playoffs via Wild Card

0 0%
  • Barley Misses Playoffs (3rd Year in a Row)

3 75.00%
  • Finishes Bottom 1/4 of Eastern Conference

1 25.00%

Bruins Remaining Season

Well folks, where approaching the trade deadline so I thought I'd look at the rest of our season. The top 5 in the East look pretty solid, so it'll be a dog fight for spots 6-8. To be honest its wide open for these 3 spots. Currently 8pts separate the #6 seed from dead last in the East. Of course we all know that Boston is at a HUGE disadvantage because everyone has games in hand on them.

Worst case scenario lets say the teams w/ games in hand win those games. Suddenly were looking at standing like this (PTS)....

This is just current pts + 2 pts for every game in hand.

6-OTT (70)
    7-TOR (67)
    8-NYI (64)
    9-PHI (63)
    10-CAR (63)
    11-FLA (62)
    12-BUF (60)
    13-DET (59)
    14-BOS (58)
    15-NJD (58)
    16-TBL (56)

So if all things equal and worst case scenario, we're 6 points out of the last playoff spot. We still however would have to jump 5 other teams to get there.

Now OTT and PHI are already above in the standings so at the current pace, they can lose their GIH and still be ahead of Boston. For those who are behind Boston, here is how many points they need to make up over their GIH.

TOR - 0.2
    FLA - 0.7
    CAR - 0.8
    NYI - 0.8
    NJD - 2.0
    DET - 1.7
    BUF - 1.5
    TBL - 3.0

So only Tampa needs to improve their gap w/o help from GIH and NJD would need to win all games in hand. The rest of the teams don't even need to win all their games in hand and some only need to win 1-2. BTW I expect FLA to make things even closer w/ two major players coming back.

Now what does the remaining schedule for Boston look like?

SJS (x2)
    VAN (x2)
    MTL
    ANH
    LAK
    DAL (x2)
    ARI
    NYR
    NJD
    OTT (x3)

DET
    PHI

CGY
    EDM
    TOR
    TBL (x2)
    NYI

NSH
    FLA
    CHI
    WSH

11 games games (bolded) will be against teams that were battling w/ for a playoff spot. That's nearly half of our remaining games that will dictate the outcome of the East. Now to top this all off we end our final to games w/ two of the toughest teams in the NHL and for some the predicted SCF.

It doesn't look good, I can say that much. These next 8 games will really decide if this team becomes buyers or sellers at the deadline. Those eight games...

vs SJS
    vs VAN
    vs MTL
    @ SJS
    @ ANH
    @ LAK
    @ DAL
    vs ARI

Only 2 of these 8 games are against (currently) non playoff teams and half include a west coast swing (which we don't tend to play well on). So how do you feel about this team right now?

Bruins w/ CJ
    26-23-6 / 2.57 GFA / 2.61 GAA / Diff -2

Bruins w/ Cassidy
    4-0-0 / 3.97 GFA / 1.74 GAA / Diff +9

I was very optimistic when the season started. I wasn't a fan of some of the negative outlooks from posters here and was very vocal about it. I still believe that once you get in, anything can happen. If the Bruins somehow made the playoffs, I'd feel the same way.

But, I think after last game, the wheels will come off the bus. Call it flip-flopping or whatever, but that's just how I feel now. I wish nothing but success for the team I love, but sometimes you need to step back and reassess the situation. This team just doesn't seem like it's going to make it. They have no backup goalie, and their bottom 6 is abysmal. I wasn't expecting Beleskey to look this bad, or Riley Nash to be consistent 3rd liner, or for the Bruins to get 1 win in 55 games from a goalie NOT named Rask (I just can't fathom the fact that if the Bruins got 5-6 wins from a backup, they'd be 10-12 points up and sitting much more comfortable).

I just think the schedule, while it spaces out for the Bruins, is very tough (opponent wise). I mean, as you've highlighted, OneMan, the next 8 games.... They could go 2-6, easily. The way this team has played, unfortunately it just feels like there is more of a chance of that happening, than them going 6-2.

I just see this team really falling out of it, this time around.

"The agenda! It's real!"

I said barely misses playoffs. I think they will fall into the 11-14 slot in the draft. Really it all depends on what they do at the trade deadline. I also wouldnt mind them putting Backes in the 3rd line for when the young guys come up. Spread out the talent so when the young guys come in they can play with krejci and backes and learn from them.
    Boston Sports!!

Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    I was very optimistic when the season started. I wasn't a fan of some of the negative outlooks from posters here and was very vocal about it. I still believe that once you get in, anything can happen. If the Bruins somehow made the playoffs, I'd feel the same way.

But, I think after last game, the wheels will come off the bus. Call it flip-flopping or whatever, but that's just how I feel now. I wish nothing but success for the team I love, but sometimes you need to step back and reassess the situation. This team just doesn't seem like it's going to make it. They have no backup goalie, and their bottom 6 is abysmal. I wasn't expecting Beleskey to look this bad, or Riley Nash to be consistent 3rd liner, or for the Bruins to get 1 win in 55 games from a goalie NOT named Rask (I just can't fathom the fact that if the Bruins got 5-6 wins from a backup, they'd be 10-12 points up and sitting much more comfortable).

I just think the schedule, while it spaces out for the Bruins, is very tough (opponent wise). I mean, as you've highlighted, OneMan, the next 8 games.... They could go 2-6, easily. The way this team has played, unfortunately it just feels like there is more of a chance of that happening, than them going 6-2.

I just see this team really falling out of it, this time around.
    But thats the thing, we are that bad that no normal back up can win, our biggest problem is Rask. He is stanley cup goalie on a playoff team. He makes a bottom 10 team into a bubble team (possible a playoff team with how back the atlantic is)

I really do hope Rask is out long term. At least the team can realize its unfair to base how good the team is, when its just Rask
    Unleash the Pasta!

Interesting to note:

- Seguin was traed on July 4th (holiday)

- Chiarelli was fired the day of Aaron Hernandez's verdict

- CJ was fired during the Patriots Parade.

Bottom line if theres going to be big Bruins news, it will likely fall on a holiday or an imporant day in boston media to mask the move.
    Boston Sports!!

Quote Originally Posted by 2bleedB&G View Post
    But thats the thing, we are that bad that no normal back up can win, our biggest problem is Rask. He is stanley cup goalie on a playoff team. He makes a bottom 10 team into a bubble team (possible a playoff team with how back the atlantic is)

I really do hope Rask is out long term. At least the team can realize its unfair to base how good the team is, when its just Rask
    Our goaltending has been terrible as of late and Rask is a part of that problem.

Rask has a higher salary alone then most teams spend on goaltending, we could have afforded a decent back up had he signed a more cap friendly contract.
    Last edited by kevin13697; 02-08-2017 at 10:36 PM.

Rask has played years now with the best defensive forward (Bergeron) and the best defensive defenseman (Chara) in the best defensive system (Julien). He is well paid for his position and has had ever chance to succeed in Boston. Don't start making excuses now that he plays in front of a mediocre defensive team (at worst).

This all depends on what they do at the trade deadline and what they look like without Julien, it's very possible they could be seeded as high as number 6 or as low as 12