Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Bruce Cassidy named Head Coach

The interim tag has been removed.

BOSTON - Boston Bruins General Manager Don Sweeney announced today, April 26, that Bruce Cassidy has been named the 28th head coach of the Boston Bruins.

Cassidy served as Interim Head Coach for the Bruins' final 33 regular and postseason games, compiling a 18-8-1 regular season record and propelling the team to a berth in the Stanley Cup Playoffs for the first time since the 2013-14 season. Since Cassidy assumed head coaching responsibilities on February 9, the Bruins ranked first in the NHL in goals per game (3.37), first in the NHL in fewest shots allowed (741), tied for second in the NHL in wins (18), tied for second in the NHL in power play percentage (27.8%), tied for third in the NHL in goals allowed per game (2.30), tied for fifth in the NHL in faceoff percentage (53.6%) and tied for sixth in the NHL in takeaways (229).
    https://www.nhl.com/bruins/news/bruc...ns/c-289096528

Haters gonna hate

Like I said in the off-season thread, Congratulations to Bruce. It must be a big weight off his shoulders knowing he has the job now (unless he knew it was going to happen; some hand-shake agreement if they made the playoffs). Assuming it's at least a 2 year contract....Maybe longer? (3 max).

"Elite" is just another way to spell "Brad Marchand"

Alright Butchy, you earned it, time to go to work and prove yourself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Perfect man for this young roster (and more coming). Hopefully Sweeney can find some reinforcements for this man for next season.

Haters gonna hate

Wonder who they bring on as the 4th assistant coach.

Quote Originally Posted by bruins>habs View Post
    Wonder who they bring on as the 4th assistant coach.
    I'm telling you, I don't think Savard is a bad idea!

Haters gonna hate

1-6-1 against Eastern conference playoff teams scares me. Hopefully with an off season BC gets into integrate his system more and figures out ways to beat those teams.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by BoSox47 View Post
    1-6-1 against Eastern conference playoff teams scares me. Hopefully with an off season BC gets into integrate his system more and figures out ways to beat those teams.
    I dont think the Bruins are as good as the 18-8-1 record they posted under cassidy. I also dont think they are as bad as the 1-6-1 record they posted against playoffs teams in their conference. There is something to be said for cassidy coaching an easier portion of the schedule than Cassidy did. However he hass at least earned the chance to get a shot at HC for a full year and off-season.

What makes me most nervous about next year is Tampa getting Stamkos back and Florida getting Barkov, Huberdaeu, bjustad and even had both goalies out for random injuries. Its going to be a battle between the Bruins, Lightning, Maple leafs and Panthers next year. It would be nice to see them bring in a forward and higher end defender next season.
    Last edited by HamPorter; 04-26-2017 at 11:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by HamPorter View Post
    I dont think the Bruins are as good as the 18-8-1 record they posted under cassidy. I also dont think they are as bad as the 1-6-1 record they posted against playoffs teams in their conference. There is something to be said for cassidy coaching an easier portion of the schedule than Cassidy did. However he hass at least earned the chance to get a shot at HC for a full year and off-season.

What makes me most nervous about next year is Tampa getting Stamkos back and Florida getting Barkov, Huberdaeu, bjustad and even had both goalies out for random injuries. Its going to be a battle between the Bruins, Lightning, Maple leafs and Panthers next year. It would be nice to see them bring in a forward and higher end defender next season.
    Agreed. Next year will be a bloodbath in this division. Bruins were dealing with a decent amount of injuries the years they missed the playoffs and finally were healthy this year. Ill be interested to see how the division shakes out next year.
    "Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling." - Bill Belichick

Quote Originally Posted by Shaiza View Post
    I'm telling you, I don't think Savard is a bad idea!
    Shawn Thornton or Andrew Ference too

I wouldn't shed a single tear if we fired Sacco but that's not gonna happen unfortunately /:

lol, small kid got tripped by a tuba player

Quote Originally Posted by homie564 View Post
    Shawn Thornton or Andrew Ference too

I wouldn't shed a single tear if we fired Sacco but that's not gonna happen unfortunately /:

Sacco around scares me for the simple fact that if Cassidy ***** the bed badly, and Boston makes a change you know he's getting the job and that would be a horrid move. This guy is a perennial loser in this league. I honestly hate how he is still here.

Before Julien was canned, the coaching staff went like this, right?

Head Coach: Claude Julien
    Assistant Coach: Bruce Cassidy (defensive coach)
    Assistant Coach: Joe Sacco (special teams coach)
    Assistant Coach: Jay Pandolfo ('eye in the sky' for games)

Am I close on their designations here? I'd be more than open to bringing in Savard as the PP coach. Let Sacco work on the PK and run something like this:

Cassidy -- Head Coach (and defense)
    Sacco -- PK coach
    Savard -- PP coach
    Pandolfo -- Eye in the Sky

Mark Divver‏ @MarkDivver
    Obviously, Providence coach Kevin Dean will be a top contender to join Bruce Cassidy's staff in Boston as an assistant coach
    How's everyone feel about this? The Baby B's had a great season under him. He's had some experience as an assistant in the AHL; this being his first HC gig in the AHL.