Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
    vCash
    @MLB:

BREAKING: @WhiteSox acquire LHP Francisco Liriano from @Twins in exchange for SS Eduardo Escobar and LHP Pedro Hernandez.

| .372 AVG | 0 HR | 2 RBI | 6 SB | .438 OBP | .442 SLG | .394 wOBA |

vCash
    Hmmm I would have like Liriano, would prefer him to Hughes. Anyone agree? I think Liriano has a bit of X Factor and can be filthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gra33zy View Post
    Hmmm I would have like Liriano, would prefer him to Hughes. Anyone agree? I think Liriano has a bit of X Factor and can be filthy.
    I would have given him.a shot but not for or over hughes

vCash
    I'd take Hughes over Liriano. Depending on what he is looking for, Liriano could be an interesting FA target.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    Never in a thousand years would I bring in Liriano to replace Hughes. We've endured so many ups and downs with Phil and now that he's once again pitching well And showing signs that he could end up being that 2/3 type starter that everyone projected, you wanna replace him with a fragile and inconsistent pitcher whose best years re behind him.

Unbelievable. Hughes has been effective, reliable, and continues to Improve. I take pride in the fact that we stuck with one of our homegrown arms, it's much more gratifying to see one of our own succeed than it is when we bring an outsider in.

Hughes' ERA doesn't reflect how well he's pitched this summer, it's inflated because of a rough start

Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

My UFC Crew:

HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber

vCash

Interest in Betancourt?

Bleacher report is saying the yankees have some sort of interest in Betancourt. I think with joba throwing hard again we should be looking at some bullpen help. Not sure if id feel safe if clay or epply come into the game in the playoffs.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ankees-bullpen

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford1829 View Post
    Never in a thousand years would I bring in Liriano to replace Hughes. We've endured so many ups and downs with Phil and now that he's once again pitching well And showing signs that he could end up being that 2/3 type starter that everyone projected, you wanna replace him with a fragile and inconsistent pitcher whose best years re behind him.

Unbelievable. Hughes has been effective, reliable, and continues to Improve. I take pride in the fact that we stuck with one of our homegrown arms, it's much more gratifying to see one of our own succeed than it is when we bring an outsider in.

Hughes' ERA doesn't reflect how well he's pitched this summer, it's inflated because of a rough start
    I agree with u i would never trade Liriano for Hughes since Hughes has been pitching so well this summer. Even if its just to increase Hughes trade value for this winter they have to keep him in the rotation. The really crappy part about Hughes is he's finally starting to figure it out as a starter and he's a FA at the end of next yr

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I agree with u i would never trade Liriano for Hughes since Hughes has been pitching so well this summer. Even if its just to increase Hughes trade value for this winter they have to keep him in the rotation. The really crappy part about Hughes is he's finally starting to figure it out as a starter and he's a FA at the end of next yr
    That's why its so important to figure out what Phelps is (see my comment in the Phelps thread). If Phelps is for real, Hughes becomes a trade peice.

If not, you may want to sign Hughes up for a longer term. I think it would be very hard for someone like Hughes to pass up an offer of something like $30for 5 years. That pays him $6M a year, guaranteed, removes an arb year and 4 free agent years, and locks him up to age 30.

WHY PHIL HUGHES TAKES A DEAL LIKE THAT:

He is making $3.2 now, say he makes $5M next year, what will he get on the FA market? 4 years is likely, unless he turns in a Cy Young performance. If he has a good year, 18 wins, sub 4 ERA, he will probably get something like 4 years, $40M. So that's $45M over 5 years. That's 50% more then the contract I would offer. But if you are Phil, you get certainty. You stay with your organization. And if you have a mediocre year, who knows what you will get. Have a bad year, and you are screwed. Take it, and if you perform well during your contract, you are plenty young enough to get another very good payday.

WHY IT MAKES SENSE FOR THE YANKEES.

They won't do it, they don't operate like this, but it gives them a young starter through his prime, just when he seems to be figuring it out. And if he is a No. 3 starter at $6M its good value, and reasonable allowing them flexibility to get under the $189M. And if he becomes a No. 2 pitcher, its that much better. And if he does bomb, its not such a crazy contract that they couldn't live with it, even if he was a No. 5, especially with guys like Nova and Phelps in the rotation.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassł
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    That's why its so important to figure out what Phelps is (see my comment in the Phelps thread). If Phelps is for real, Hughes becomes a trade peice.

If not, you may want to sign Hughes up for a longer term. I think it would be very hard for someone like Hughes to pass up an offer of something like $30for 5 years. That pays him $6M a year, guaranteed, removes an arb year and 4 free agent years, and locks him up to age 30.

WHY PHIL HUGHES TAKES A DEAL LIKE THAT:

He is making $3.2 now, say he makes $5M next year, what will he get on the FA market? 4 years is likely, unless he turns in a Cy Young performance. If he has a good year, 18 wins, sub 4 ERA, he will probably get something like 4 years, $40M. So that's $45M over 5 years. That's 50% more then the contract I would offer. But if you are Phil, you get certainty. You stay with your organization. And if you have a mediocre year, who knows what you will get. Have a bad year, and you are screwed. Take it, and if you perform well during your contract, you are plenty young enough to get another very good payday.

WHY IT MAKES SENSE FOR THE YANKEES.

They won't do it, they don't operate like this, but it gives them a young starter through his prime, just when he seems to be figuring it out. And if he is a No. 3 starter at $6M its good value, and reasonable allowing them flexibility to get under the $189M. And if he becomes a No. 2 pitcher, its that much better. And if he does bomb, its not such a crazy contract that they couldn't live with it, even if he was a No. 5, especially with guys like Nova and Phelps in the rotation.
    I agree with so much of what u said but u and i usually do. The only reason i can see for Phelps not starting is they really have no one else that offers the versatility he does. If Joba comes back well and they leave Phelps in the pen its an epic fail on the part of the Yanks. As u said its the perfect time for the Yanks to figure out what Phelps is going to be.

As far as resigning Hughes your right its not the way the Yanks do business but their being stupid for not changing the way they operate, it only cost them more money in the long run. Nova's another one they should sign long term, buy out the rest of his arb yrs and 2-3 yrs of his FA yrs. Even if they eventually decided to move him he's worth a hell of alot more signed long term.

The Yanks are simply going to have to change how they deal with resigning players if they hope to lower payroll or their going to back themselves into a corner and lose a good player or 2, then be forced to give up good prospects to fill that hole. I could go on and on but i regress

vCash
    The Yankees interest in Betancourt makes no sense to me. Unless they want Ramiro Pena or Frankie Cervelli for him.

vCash
    i would definitely take brandon league. he actually make sense
    ( ) Sign McCann
    ( ) Resign Reynolds
    ( ) Sign one of: Beltran, Ellsbury, Choo
    ( ) Win Bidding/Sign Tanaka
    ( ) Sign Balfour
    ( ) Sign Drew

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Some really good points mate! I find Hughes and Liriano to be of similar talent, and in that case I always prefer a left hander at Yankee stadium. I still would take Phelps as a starter, and Hughes out of the bull pen I find Hughes a beast out of the pen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusMontero View Post
    i would definitely take brandon league. he actually make sense
    Imagine if that happened. Third trade in less than a year with the Mariners.

Official Dolphins Draft Guru '11 & NFL Draft Guru '12

Enjoy hilarious podcasts about popculture, wrestling, and videogames? Check out the lasertime network at lasertimepodcast.com

vCash
    Do we really need more pen help?

Wassup with aardsma?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Jake. Future Buffet Champion and New Leo ManCrush.

vCash
    I'm about to get made fun of but what are the possibilities of getting both Utley and Lee + Money from Philly? None. But it's always interesting to play with it in ones mind. So, for hypothetical sake... What would be an appropriate package and amount of money the Phillies would eat from both Lee and Utley? They just said something on baseball tonight about Utley possibly being available. I mean he came up as a third basemen, I wonder if he could move mid season.

http://www.spotrac.com/mlb/philadelp...illies/yearly/

Phillies get: Many Banuelos, David Phelps, Dellin Betances, Eduardo Nunez

Yankees get: Cliff lee + $10m a year on the last 4 and a half years of his contract, Chase Utley + $2m a year on the last year and a half on his contract

Playoff time:

Jeter
    Granderson
    Teixeira
    Cano
    Rodriguez dh/3b
    Utley dh/3b
    Swisher
    Martin
    Ichiro

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast