Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can the Knicks be a top 5 defensive team?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they will be top 5.

115 45.82%
  • No, they will not be top 5.

122 48.61%
  • Not sure, but I do not think so.

22 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    vCash
    no matter what 5 players on the floor at any given time there will be a few holes... thats not a top 5 defense IMO...

and if you homers really think melo plays defense you obviously havent been watching team usa play... melo has been suspect
    [

vCash
    Realistically speaking though, in order for this to be true amare has to step up the d, I don't understand why a guy that gifted is so bad at d. Also shump would have to come back 100% it's not out of reach though, if they want to be contenders they will need to be at the very least top 5 on d.
    @mvbisecco
    follow me on twitter and i'll follow you
    SMOKE WEED ERR DAY

vCash
    knicks suck, bro

vCash
    Does it really matter? Doubt they beat Miami with the team they have anyway...

Also, thanks OP for making it easier to be a Knicks fan.

vCash
    spurs? maybe 10 years ago... your just thinking of teams now... and Lakers? yeah, Kobe older and adding Nash sure helps....
    you can only make a case for Chicago, Miami, Boston, Okc, Philly. and I think the Knicks will be better than one of them especially when you factor in point differential

vCash
    8th in points differential
    11th in opponent ppg
    10th in opponent fg%
    23rd in opponent 3pt%

They weren't a top 5 defensive team last year. Nothing about them screamed top 5 this off-season either. Iman Shumpert, their best wing defender, is down with a torn ACL. Jason Kidd, Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire don't play a lick of defense. If Steve Novak isn't spot shooting, he's useless on the court. Chandler and Camby will hold their own, but that's about it. They need a lot of things to come together, but it all starts with their 2 stars learning to play defense. Look at Miami. LeBron and Wade LOVE playing defense, and it turns into a high octane transition offense and a lot more easy wins. Carmelo and Amar'e HAVE to do that.

Miami
    Boston
    Chicago
    OKC
    San Antonio
    Philadelphia
    Indiana
    Los Angeles Lakers

Off the top of my head. There's 8 teams that I can guarantee will be better than the Knicks defensively. Top 10 is certainly attainable, but top 5 might be a bit of a stretch.

vCash
    Top 5 i dont think so, and top 2 in east? I dont thonk that happens either with Boston, Miami, Chicago all better teams on the defensive end.

vCash
    People seem to post without knowing facts. Will they be next season? Remains to be seen but certainly in the Top 10. Anyone who thinks Chandler, Iman, Camby, Kidd won't help defensively is a moron.

Under Woodson they had the best defensive numbers in the league in every category. Which is why they went 18-6.

The potential is certainly there. They were Top 5 in defensive rating up there with Chicago, Philly, Boston, Miami.
    Last edited by Punk; 07-23-2012 at 06:11 PM.

vCash
    as a sixers fan who has allways thought little of the melo amare knicks ..yes i can see them taking phillys place as a top 5 Defenseive team we lost elton brand and they picked up camby its a small thing but it should give chanlder a breather from time to time. and they where underrated on that end of the floor last year to begin with

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker55 View Post
    No.

Top ten sure, but not top 5.

Can't knock this guy opinion. But sometimes "good D" stem from a slow or non-explosive offense. I'm a Knicks fan and I can say that I don't see the Knicks being better than Mia,SA,CHi or Boston( partly because Mia,Bos and Chi all run the same excact defensive scheme and and Coach Pop with SA always been sound defensively). However I seen Ind get destroyed by the Knicks this year more than once, I do think the Knicks CAN be better then them. And I lived near philly and was forced to watch ALL their games. They were good on D but their Def atleast stat wise had a lot to do with their very very very slow,boring run the shot clock down offense. Its easy to have better defensive stats when you limit the other team total possesions. I think the knicks will shock many ppl with how good their D will be this yr.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    You're delusional.
    your'e a knick hater..

vCash
    Even the bucks are better defensive team than the Knicks, and they can't even make it to the playoffs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yanks All Day View Post
    8th in points differential
    11th in opponent ppg
    10th in opponent fg%
    23rd in opponent 3pt%

They weren't a top 5 defensive team last year. Nothing about them screamed top 5 this off-season either. Iman Shumpert, their best wing defender, is down with a torn ACL. Jason Kidd, Carmelo Anthony and Amar'e Stoudemire don't play a lick of defense. If Steve Novak isn't spot shooting, he's useless on the court. Chandler and Camby will hold their own, but that's about it. They need a lot of things to come together, but it all starts with their 2 stars learning to play defense. Look at Miami. LeBron and Wade LOVE playing defense, and it turns into a high octane transition offense and a lot more easy wins. Carmelo and Amar'e HAVE to do that.

Miami
    Boston
    Chicago
    OKC
    San Antonio
    Philadelphia
    Indiana
    Los Angeles Lakers

Off the top of my head. There's 8 teams that I can guarantee will be better than the Knicks defensively. Top 10 is certainly attainable, but top 5 might be a bit of a stretch.
    No Just .. NO

vCash
    They have improved from the past. But without Iman for a while I have them top 10-12 which is not bad
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold
    SIG of the winners choice for entire playoffs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by marj987 View Post
    Even the bucks are better defensive team than the Knicks, and they can't even make it to the playoffs
    You took it two steps too far lol
    http://newyorkknicksmemesdotcom.file...73bd8ccc5d.gif
    Amare!!!!

SIM LEAGUE SUNS
    Jason Kidd and Chris webber
    2000-2001 48-34 first round KO
    2001-2002 64-18 first round KO
    2002-2003 55-27. Second round KO
    2003-2004 46-36 second round KO game 7 loss
    2004-2005 42-40
    2005-2006 welcome Glenn big dog

Sig bet with Mr. baller on Yankees making the playoffs loser has to hold