Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can the Knicks be a top 5 defensive team?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they will be top 5.

115 45.82%
  • No, they will not be top 5.

122 48.61%
  • Not sure, but I do not think so.

22 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Where are people getting that they were a top 5 defensive team last year?

The only thing that matters really is Opp PPG. They were not even in the top 10 last year in that category.

Oh, that's not the category you were looking at, how about Opp FG%? Yeah, 10th in the league last year.

Ahh, rebounding differential must be it. Nope, 16th in the league in that one.

Gotta be blocked shots then right? Ouch, 27th in the league.

Hmm.. What does that leave? Turnovers, you know that's not happening (7th in TO +/-), what's next? Fouls given, not even close.

So how were they a top 5 defensive team last year? Somebody please show me how. (Edit: I'm not trolling either, I really want to know).
    Here you go genius. Since your not trolling I will give you some help with your homework assignment.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...y.html#def_rtg
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2012.html
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...t/defensiveEff

Stone age is over bruh, saying PPG is the only stat that matters makes you sound young and stupid. Just a heads up....
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    but if you give up alot of PPG then your D either sucks or you turn it over to much and your d cannot recover... Either way your D is nothng to be scared of..

vCash

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    Here you go genius. Since your not trolling I will give you some help with your homework assignment.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...y.html#def_rtg
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/NYK/2012.html
    http://espn.go.com/nba/hollinger/tea...t/defensiveEff

Stone age is over bruh, saying PPG is the only stat that matters makes you sound young and stupid. Just a heads up....
    I was about to respond to his post but you did it. Thank you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryang View Post
    but if you give up alot of PPG then your D either sucks or you turn it over to much and your d cannot recover... Either way your D is nothng to be scared of..
    I always feel like the people who i disagree with most are the ones who ignore blatant facts and evidence and simply spout constant opinion based upon perceived notions.
    He felt that one

Bye Bye Haters

KNICKS SEAHAWKS RANGERS MARINERS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    So our D for 66 games is top 5 but you choose to judge based on 5 games against the champs? After our best perimeter defender tore his ACL? Thats reasonable

Its also hard to play solid D when you can't score, that was more of our problem in the playoffs than our D. Too many turnovers and missed shots that turn into fast breaks dunks for the Heat.
    Bro your D wasnt top 5 last year against elite teams period.. In the playoffs if you care about advancing you"ll have to play good D and solid O something your team hasnt done yet.. When they do your up there on D.. And shump doesnt scare anybody... He couldnt shut wade down before and thats all we can go on.. Maybe after his knee heals he can figure it out but until then he went down after you were down by 30

vCash
    Opponents PPG was 94.7 which was 11th in the league last year. And this is with Mike D coaching half the season for us. I am not sure where you are going with this post.....without facts.

It's not that far-fetched to believe Knicks can be top 5 in defense.

vCash
    Bro your D wasnt top 5 last year against elite teams period.. In the playoffs if you care about advancing you"ll have to play good D and solid O something your team hasnt done yet.. When they do your up there on D.. And shump doesnt scare anybody... He couldnt shut wade down before and thats all we can go on.. Maybe after his knee heals he can figure it out but until then he went down after you were down by 30
    You got a link or source for this? Are you just making **** up or just stating your own opinion?

vCash
    Yea I'd love to see if Miami's D help up to its normal standards against elite teams too.

Don't worry, I'm not expecting you to actually get some facts to back your claims. Thats too much to ask.

Oh and lets just pretend that because something happens in 1 game that means it will repeat itself every other game.

If thats the case you guys would have got whooped on by Indiana a few more times wouldn't it?

Or since LeBron James choked his *** off 2x in the finals that means he most definitely would have done it again his 3rd time right? Good thing your logic holds true to many scenarios.

And if you actually watched the games this season, they ran screens on Shump nearly everytime he was on Wade, and the last game of the regular season vs Heat I believe Shump stole his cookies 3 or 4 times and even 2x on one play.

Oh yea this is probably why they would screen him everytime: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PNrIu2bEU
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 07-26-2012 at 02:20 PM.

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Never heard of pace I guess huh?

Here I will help you out, you can get a little homework assignment:

Play faster pace = more possessions for BOTH teams
    more possessions = more shots for BOTH teams
    more shots = more points for BOTH teams

Theres a little Pace 101 for you Heat fans that just started watching NBA 2 years ago.

Knicks pace = 5th in the NBA = more PPG for the opponent
    Last edited by D-Leethal; 07-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.

vCash
    People need to take both anti-knick and pro-knick emotion out of the equation here.

Im a Knicks fan but here are The facts...

1. Woodson replacing D'antoni changed the focus of the team and although they didnt play elite defense they certainly improved substantially on the defensive side with Woodson in charge.

2. The presence of strong interior defenders will help to make up for weak perimeter defense especially when compensating for dribble penetration.

3. With Camby, Thomas, Chandler, Stoudemire, Melo, and Kidd (strong perimeter rebounder) the team should be improved on the glass. Limiting teams to one shot will improve their defensive effeciency.

4. They still have Stat and Melo who although improved at times are not competent defenders. They will ultimately limit the team's defensive ceiling.

5. Their best perimeter defender (Shump) is out til January which will be a big hit to the defense

With these facts in mind, I believe its fair to say the Knicks have the potential to be a Top 5 defensive team in the East (Top 10 in NBA). Thats nothing to be ashamed of. They will be an improved defensive team but not in the elite category.

Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

My UFC Crew:

HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber

vCash
    Yes the Knicks can be a top 5 nba defensive team.

vCash
    shumps out till january, but we replaced him with brewer and he is a very good defender also. just imagine a lineup of felton, shump, brewer, melo, chandler.. that is a very good defensive team. the only whole would be melo but he guards the four well enough to pass

#KNICKSTAPE #PLAYOFF2013

vCash
    maybe.. it depends on the health of shump imo

Thanks 2 knicksr4real for holdn nycsports down with the hottest sig on psd!!!

vCash
    Damn I keep forgetting about shump, hell yea...... Knicks gonna be good barring injuries
    GIFSoup

My wonderful wife showing her skills

vCash
    If you honestly think Shump doesn't scare anyone your nuts. He is the only person i've ever seen lock up D Rose (Well contained is a better word)

And this is what he did to your boy in just a few Seconds really, He isn't one of the best on ball defenders in the league

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PNr...eature=related

Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast