Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Can the Knicks be a top 5 defensive team?

Voters
251. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, they will be top 5.

115 45.82%
  • No, they will not be top 5.

122 48.61%
  • Not sure, but I do not think so.

22 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    vCash
    The starters? HELL NO (unless you're going to start Brewer over Melo)

The bench? MAYBE. A backup squad of Felton/Brewer/Novak/Thomas/Camby can play defense.
    Broncos be like:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by justinnum1 View Post
    one play that happens often
    Amare won't be playing Center as our defensive anchor often. Of course you pick a game Tyson Chandler was injured and our starting frontline was Fields-Melo-Amare.
    The value of elite scoring ability, by Phil Jackson:

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    This is just a prime example of blind Knicks hate that you guys pretend doesn't exist on this board. Completely ignore facts and just throw out garbage until someone brings up facts and you leave the thread with your tails between your legs.

Justinnum is famous for that.

Knicks were top 5 last season, added numerous very good to excellent defenders at their positions this offseason. Upgraded defensively pretty much everywhere, yet NO WAY were top 5?

GTFO trolls

"This is a guy, we recognize his talent, and his skill is the kind of skill and talent that gets you through playoff games where things get sticky, grind-out, and basketball becomes a force game and suddenly you need to have a player who has the capabilities of scoring with someone hanging on them in a situation thatís critical. Heís one of those players, one of the few players who can do that.Ē

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Leethal View Post
    This is just a prime example of blind Knicks hate that you guys pretend doesn't exist on this board. Completely ignore facts and just throw out garbage until someone brings up facts and you leave the thread with your tails between your legs.

Justinnum is famous for that.

Knicks were top 5 last season, added numerous very good to excellent defenders at their positions this offseason. Upgraded defensively pretty much everywhere, yet NO WAY were top 5?

GTFO trolls
    I don't see you get vicious often, but I like it.

vCash
    Regular season yea.. Come playoff time I see there D struggling.. Hard to judge the knicks because they had to play the heat in the first round.. That being said I guess but they have alot of older players mixed with melo and amares D so it will be hard to get past the teams necassary to win a title..

vCash
    They have two players in their starting 5 that are allergic to defense. IMO, you can't be a top defensive team with that.

vCash
    With a healthy Shump and Amare and Melo on the bench. Yes! Mike Woodson is a great defensive minded coach.

vCash
    I do not like this sterotype that Melo can't defend. Melo can play D, if you actually watch him play. I will say this Melo can hustle and box out really well. Unlike STAT. If Melo wants to he can play D.

Stoudemire is the odd man out.. He is lost on both offense and defense.. But I do think that Felton will bring back that spark and he will get open opportunities from P&R and other plays.

vCash
    I don't get it.. Knicks already were a top defensive team last season.... They will be top 5, no question..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyKnicks126 View Post
    I do not like this sterotype that Melo can't defend. Melo can play D, if you actually watch him play. I will say this Melo can hustle and box out really well. Unlike STAT. If Melo wants to he can play D.

Stoudemire is the odd man out.. He is lost on both offense and defense.. But I do think that Felton will bring back that spark and he will get open opportunities from P&R and other plays.
    All you'd have to do is watch his Olympic games defense to see he can hold his own for stretches down low and has very quick hands. He's nowhere near the level of STAT on defense but still gets labeled as such.
    He felt that one

Bye Bye Haters

KNICKS SEAHAWKS RANGERS MARINERS

vCash
    Where are people getting that they were a top 5 defensive team last year?

The only thing that matters really is Opp PPG. They were not even in the top 10 last year in that category.

Oh, that's not the category you were looking at, how about Opp FG%? Yeah, 10th in the league last year.

Ahh, rebounding differential must be it. Nope, 16th in the league in that one.

Gotta be blocked shots then right? Ouch, 27th in the league.

Hmm.. What does that leave? Turnovers, you know that's not happening (7th in TO +/-), what's next? Fouls given, not even close.

So how were they a top 5 defensive team last year? Somebody please show me how. (Edit: I'm not trolling either, I really want to know).
    Last edited by mike_noodles; 07-26-2012 at 01:55 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Where are people getting that they were a top 5 defensive team last year?

The only thing that matters really is Opp PPG. They were not even in the top 10 last year in that category.

Oh, that's not the category you were looking at, how about Opp FG%? Yeah, 10th in the league last year.

Ahh, rebounding differential must be it. Nope, 16th in the league in that one.

Gotta be blocked shots then right? Ouch, 27th in the league.

Hmm.. What does that leave? Turnovers, you know that's not happening (7th in TO +/-), what's next? Fouls given, not even close.

So how were they a top 5 defensive team last year? Somebody please show me how.
    What are you 12 years old? Still living in 2001? Those stats you listed above are completely irrelevant at this point in time.

How about adjusting for pace? Points per 100 possessions? Defensive Rating?

Do yourself a favor and brush up on your modern statistical knowledge - and I'm nowhere near a stat guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ryang View Post
    Regular season yea.. Come playoff time I see there D struggling.. Hard to judge the knicks because they had to play the heat in the first round.. That being said I guess but they have alot of older players mixed with melo and amares D so it will be hard to get past the teams necassary to win a title..
    So our D for 66 games is top 5 but you choose to judge based on 5 games against the champs? After our best perimeter defender tore his ACL? Thats reasonable

Its also hard to play solid D when you can't score, that was more of our problem in the playoffs than our D. Too many turnovers and missed shots that turn into fast breaks dunks for the Heat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by naztrack View Post
    a few things one, please stop starting these threads especially in the nba forum section, two people can't wait to hate on the knicks for a few reasons one is its the new york knicks people are jealous of new york and two us fans give them more and more material....we have to stop giving them a reason to hate. Someone here made a point saying they actually finished 5th last year...i didnt no that but i'm not suprised....melo played the most defense last season then he did in any other season lets be honest...amare is lost but hey he is honest never was taught....someone said felton, kidd and some other knicks were useless on defense..not true felton is pretty damn tuff defender so is kidd....adding camby and kurt sures up our paint....when we get iman we should be set at the wings lets be realistic i think we have a great chance at being a top 5 team defensively (no homer).
    You are truly an idiot, YOU are the reason people hate on NY. It's just hilarious how you are breaking down why others hate on the Knicks, when you are too blind to see what the real problem is. No one gives a **** about your city when discussing a basketball team, that's why you get so much unwanted hated.

vCash
    The notion that Melo can't play D is stupid...and whoever believes it is also stupid...take it personal idc. You can question his defensive effort at times, not his ability. Amare is the one who seems like he can't play D.

#TapeTwoOne....Oh Gawd

Page 11 of 28 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast