Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    vCash
    An update heading into the offseason. This is an "as-is" update, not a projection.

Guaranteed contracts: Dan Uggla ($13M)
    TOTAL: 1 player, $13M

Options: Brian McCann ($12M), Tim Hudson ($9M), Paul Maholm ($6.5M)
    TOTAL: 3 players, $27.5M

I still think all of these are no-brainers to exercise. Maybe there's an outside chance one is traded, but I can't see any of them just being let go.

Arbitration: Martin Prado (3rd time, $8M), Jason Heyward (1st, $4.25M), Eric O'Flaherty (3rd, $4M), Tommy Hanson (1st, $3.5M) Kris Medlen (1st, $2.5M), Jonny Venters (1st, $2M), Cristhian Martinez (1st, $1M)
    TOTAL: 7 players, $25.25M

The salary estimates are my projections. Heyward and Hanson are the two hardest cases, and the comparables I used are Justin Upton and Clay Buchholz, respectively. Jair Jurrjens and Paul Janish are non-tenders in my book.

Minimum salary: Luis Avilan, Jose Constanza, Juan Francisco, Freddie Freeman, Cory Gearrin, Craig Kimbrel, Mike Minor, Andrelton Simmons
    TOTAL: 8 players, $4M

I'm pretty confident that these eight will make the team next year. The biggest doubt is probably Constanza, but given that no one is returning to the bench next year, he probably stands a solid chance to be the fifth outfielder.

GRAND TOTAL: 19 players, $69.75M

So that leaves between $20 million and $23 million to spend, with the following holes to fill:

--Starting 3B or LF (wherever Prado doesn't play)
    --Starting CF
    --Three bench players to complement Francisco and Constanza (catcher, utility infielder, corner OF)
    --One relief pitcher (I think six of the spots are set with O'Ventbrel, Martinez, Avilan and Gearrin, but Wren will probably bring in a Durbin-esque veteran)

It's pretty obvious that a trade or two will be necessary to fill a hole or two on the cheap. It's nice to have a lot of available money, but there are also lots of spots yet to be filled.

vCash
    I would like to see the braves pursue Pagan and Melky Cabrera. Melky is a low risk / high reward type player. If he plays great, then you get a good hitter for cheap. If he doesn't, then you explore the trade market. With these two relatively low cost signings, perhaps then we can think about adding Greinke. If we can do that, we can trade hanson for hopefully a decent power-hitting prospect.

vCash
    We should sign Victorino and Melky

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thomass View Post
    I would like to see the braves pursue Pagan and Melky Cabrera. Melky is a low risk / high reward type player. If he plays great, then you get a good hitter for cheap. If he doesn't, then you explore the trade market. With these two relatively low cost signings, perhaps then we can think about adding Greinke. If we can do that, we can trade hanson for hopefully a decent power-hitting prospect.
    Quote Originally Posted by #teamHeyward View Post
    Not getting the love for Melky Cabrera here. Braves fans know firsthand how bad he used to be, and the PED suspension should only call into question his recent performance. I don't think he's low risk at all. He'll probably get a cheap deal, but he's the definition of high risk since we don't know how much of his performance was just drug-induced. The Braves need a surefire answer, and Melky Cabrera ain't it.

Much more important to get a reliable hitter than to get Greinke, and we sure don't have to sign Greinke in order to be able to deal Hanson.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rtgthree View Post
    Not getting the love for Melky Cabrera here. Braves fans know firsthand how bad he used to be, and the PED suspension should only call into question his recent performance. I don't think he's low risk at all. He'll probably get a cheap deal, but he's the definition of high risk since we don't know how much of his performance was just drug-induced. The Braves need a surefire answer, and Melky Cabrera ain't it.

Much more important to get a reliable hitter than to get Greinke, and we sure don't have to sign Greinke in order to be able to deal Hanson.
    Very true as we have said in the other posts. I can't really think of any reason to keep him at this point.
    Cpl Devildog
    USMC

Its Not A Religion its a Faith... Semper Fi
    Braves Fan For Life!

vCash
    we tried melky, and it failed. chipper suggested that melky was gone in the first place because of his immaturity and emptyheadedness (too lazy to find the article or the post that linked it). i think it'd be completely ******** of us to go after that dopehead again.
    HAWKS 13 PREMIERS

"We're under a level-5 quarantine, so I'm just gonna have to stripsearch you girls!"
    -Portman

vCash
    Lol, no Melky. Not going to happen...

vCash
    I think all we need is a CFer and a very good right-handed bench bat like Reed Johnson. Let's see how it goes with Juan Francisco as an everyday or platoon player with this right-handed bat and use Prado's flexibility. No reason to trade the world for something we may already have.

vCash

The 2013 Payroll Picture

We go after LF and CF via FA and/or trade. Period. We are good everywhere else. I think we have to keep Prado as a rover, start him at 3B against lefties unless Francisco gets in shape and learns to hit LH pitching.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by #teamHeyward View Post
    Dude, just quit. Thank God you aren't our GM. You gotta think bigger. We're asking for Red Rider BB Gun's and Toy Trains for Christmas and you're talking about Cabbage Patch Dolls and pocket lint. Stop It!
    1991 Lost WS to Twins 4-3
    1992 Lost WS to Blue Jays 4-2
    1993 Lost NLCS to Phillies 4-2
    1996 Lost WS to Yankees 4-2 (led 2-0)
    1997 Lost NLCS to Marlins 4-2
    1998 Lost NLCS to Padres 4-2
    1999 Lost WS 4-0 to Yankees
    2000 Lost NLDS 3-0 to Cardinals
    2001 Lost NLCS to Diamondbacks 4-1
    2002 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Giants
    2003 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Cubs
    2004 Lost NLDS 3-2 to Astros
    2005 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Astros
    2010 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Giants
    2012 Lost NLWC 1-0 to Cardinals
    2013 Lost NLDS 3-1 to Dodgers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    I think all we need is a CFer and a very good right-handed bench bat like Reed Johnson. Let's see how it goes with Juan Francisco as an everyday or platoon player with this right-handed bat and use Prado's flexibility. No reason to trade the world for something we may already have.
    You think wrong dude. We need more players who can actually hit. Our best one is leaving and being replaced by our second best one. That's leaving us with only one guy with an OBP over .350, Prado. We need a great LF and CF (Hamilton/Fowler), and a new catcher like A.J. Don't resign McCann and try to trade Uggla for some food stamps and a 2B prospect that's MLB ready. And Juan Fransisco? Unless you are related to him of his friend you MUST be joking. He's like Kung Fu Panda, only without the good bat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Getting UGGLA View Post
    You think wrong dude. We need more players who can actually hit. Our best one is leaving and being replaced by our second best one. That's leaving us with only one guy with an OBP over .350, Prado. We need a great LF and CF (Hamilton/Fowler), and a new catcher like A.J. Don't resign McCann and try to trade Uggla for some food stamps and a 2B prospect that's MLB ready. And Juan Fransisco? Unless you are related to him of his friend you MUST be joking. He's like Kung Fu Panda, only without the good bat.
    So you want to pour something like 1/5 or more of our payroll into one player for the next 8 years, trade for a Coors Field hitter who hits like Cameron Maybin away from there, and sign a 36 year old catcher? And these are upgrades and wise investments to you? That is an interesting opinion and I'll leave it at that.

vCash
    All i know is speed kills in baseball so if we sign someone like victorino or bourn-esque ( which isnt easy) that would be a great table setter. Also heck no to fransisco as an every day player. I just dont see what others do in him. Idk what to do about third base but i think wren will get creative. Obiously prado is an option. And if thats the case then we need an offense heavyeft fielder But nick swisher doesnt jump out at me any more, he seems like a good clubhlouse guy and pretty good during the season but his playoffs have really hurt his value in my eyes. I honetly wouldnt want to be in frank wrens shoes but if all else fails we can trade some pitching for a bat. I know thats obvious and hard to do at the same time. U gotta give some to get some

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chipper10 View Post
    All i know is speed kills in baseball so if we sign someone like victorino or bourn-esque ( which isnt easy) that would be a great table setter. Also heck no to fransisco as an every day player. I just dont see what others do in him. Idk what to do about third base but i think wren will get creative. Obiously prado is an option. And if thats the case then we need an offense heavyeft fielder But nick swisher doesnt jump out at me any more, he seems like a good clubhlouse guy and pretty good during the season but his playoffs have really hurt his value in my eyes. I honetly wouldnt want to be in frank wrens shoes but if all else fails we can trade some pitching for a bat. I know thats obvious and hard to do at the same time. U gotta give some to get some
    I'm leaning more toward Granderson and Hamilton. 80+ Hr's. And I think Granderson will bounce back in BA. No to Beefareeno, not nearly good enough, not happening. Prado at 3B, Manybe sign A.J. or Martin, drop Mac, Uggla.......not sure, maybe have to grin and bear it.

vCash
    Based on post #106 by Rtgthree I will try to "think big".

We have 20 to 23 millions to spend and we need a LF/3B , CF , bench Player and maybe a reliever.

-Decline B-mac option for 12 millions. So now we have from 32 to 35 millions to spend.

- Trade Tommy Hanson (substract 3.5 M) for Ben Revere (492,500), Oswaldo Arcia and Darin Mastroianni (480,000).

After those two moves we have around 36,500,000 Millions.

Trade Matt lipka for John Jaso (1st time arbitration 1.5M estimated)
    Sign Josh Hamilton 6 years 120 Millions.

After those moves we have around 16,500,000

Sign Reed Johnson 2 years for 5 millions
    Sign David Ross 1 year 2.5 Millions with an option for a second year.
    Sign John Rauch 1 year 2 millions.

That leave us around 9.5M, i will use some of that money to extend Prado and Heyward. Platoon Jaso and Ross.

That will be a really solid team
    Jaso/Ross
    Freeman
    Uggla
    Prado
    Simmons
    Hamilton
    Revere
    Heyward

Francisco
    Constanza
    Johnson