Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 67 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast
    vCash
    It's funny that a guy like Montero was so hyped hitting like .280 with 17 hr in aaa.

This wil Myers guy hit like 37 hr batting over .300.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    It's funny that a guy like Montero was so hyped hitting like .280 with 17 hr in aaa.

This wil Myers guy hit like 37 hr batting over .300.
    Lmao. Pretty much.

It's because Montero is a catcher.

Wait...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Lmao. Pretty much.

Wait...
    Haha. He's a crappy DH now.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I'd like to get some guy like that. Give em Banuelos and /or Hughes.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Just watched a segment on Mark Montgomery.

Wow, that slider is nasty! Basically unhittable.

Get this kid up here before he needs TJ surgery!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Two years ago, the Yankees enjoyed a brilliant season by the farm system in which almost everything went right and nothing went wrong. Jesus Montero took a step forward to become a star prospect, Manny Banuelos dazzled, Gary Sanchez debuted, the college arm trio of Adam Warren, David Phelps, and D.J. Mitchell excelled, and even the enigmatic Dellin Betances and Andrew Brackman had strong seasons. As a result, the team’s farm system ranked fifth and ninth in baseball by Baseball America and Keith Law, respectively.
    Last season was more of a normal year in the minors, with the usual number of breakouts and breakdowns, injuries and surprises. After the season, the team’s system was ranked tenth and 13th by Law and Baseball America, respectively. Those rankings were released after the Yankees traded Montero as well, who was easily their best prospect. They had a high-end of a middle of the road system, if that makes sense. This year though, things down on the farm were definitely far from normal. An awful lot more went wrong than right.

Now the Yanks system could be ranked as low as 20th.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I would just love to move the top SP's for a true SP we said we were gonna keep the farm then traded Montero and A Jacks who did decent---I would have rather had kept the bats so lets just go all out for a Felix or someone we need to get younger AP and HK are like 80 yrs combined LOL time to make moves seriously

vCash
    I'd be in on Greinke hes a solid number 2 if nothing else and a FA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    Lmao. Pretty much.

Wait...
    Some of it had to do with the fact that he was a catcher, but most of it was because he had already progressed to AAA by the age of 20. Guys like that are typically viewed as stars in the making.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Agreed.

Just because he missed a few games with an "injury or illness"

His numbers speak for themself.
    Heathcott had an injury? Shock!
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    I don't really agree with that scouting report on Black. While he can hit 99, that doesn't mean he sits there. His fastball sits 92-94 usually and while he does show good command of his fastball his secondary pitches need a lot of work. I'm a fan of his and hope he does well but that scouting report posted above was very optimistic. He throws a good change-up but its no where near a plus pitch.

I think he's a potential reliever unless either his curve or slider become better pitches. Both are pretty poor at the moment.
    That was before the season started. He was 94-96 all season. He routinely hit 99 mph. It's not like he sat at 99, but it wasn't a surprise to anyone when he did.

As for his changeup, every reputable scout who has seen him play (which is admittedly not that many) has said it's already above average major league. When you throw that hard with an above average changeup, that's huge.

His other stuff is a work in progress but he's young and the Yankees know how to teach the curve ball. They've also had some recent success teaching the slider (Brett Marshall).

He is not a finished product and that is why the article is entitled "Breakout candidate 2013" BBD ranked him at 42, hardly a ringing endorsement. His CEILING is an ace, the article doesn't project that he WILL be an ace. You'd be hard pressed to find a starter in the minors who throws as hard as Black and is as accurate that does not have that type of ceiling.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    BBDP: Breakout candidate 2013: Where have you Ben all my life?

BBDP Nickname: Gam-Gam

The Basics:

Name: Ben Gamel
    Draft: 10th round of the 2010 draft out of Bishop Kenny High School, Jacksonville, Florida
    Size: 5-foot-11, 190-pounds
    Bats: Left
    Throws: Left
    Best Tools: Hit tool, speed, patience
    Needs Work: Power, baserunning
    BBDP Ranking: 30

Young ball players often do not develop power until the reach the high minors. One of the most difficult things for scouts to do is project which players will develop power as they progress. Some of the indicators include swing, size and frame, and character. Ben Gamel has two of the three working in his favor as a young outfielder in the Yankees’ system. While he is on the smaller side for a professional baseball player, he possessed a sweet swing that allows him to use all fields and collect extra base hits. So far in his career that has translated into lots of singles, doubles, and triples, but not many homeruns.

He also has another advantage. He knows what it takes to become a major league baseball player and he’s willing to do it. His brother, Mat Gamel, has been in the major leagues for a few years now and can counsel his sibling on the rigors of major league life. By all reports he is also a good kid and an extremely hard worker. Usually that bodes well for those who aim to develop power. Just look at his picture. Doesn’t he look like a major league ball player?

This past season he hit .306/.342/.394/.737. He had two homeruns in 105 games. The major ref flag in his performance is that he had a similar number of extra base hits to 2011, when he played about half the number of games. While this is concerning, what’s not concerning is that he cut down on his strikeouts and continued to walk at a respectable rate in his first full season of the minor leagues. He also hit over .300 which is quite difficult as a 19 year old in Low-A.

Often overlooked because he doesn’t possess the most flashy tool set, that could change in the near future. He’s still young and will be in High-A Tampa next season. He has a few seasons to develop power before we throw him into the Colin Curtis bin (players who were supposed to develop power but never did). If, however, he does get stronger, he could be a fast climber on this list, and someone who could contribute to the major league team in the long term in one way or the other.

His hit tool should be obvious from his ability to hit for average at such a young age, but there’s a reason for this. He has a sweet, left handed swing with good loft, and he uses all fields. Right now this is translating into lots of extra base hits. In the future, some of those balls will go over the fence. In addition to this he has great patience at the plate. Coaches actually had to work with him this season to become more aggressive and get his hacks in at the lower levels.

Finally, he is fast. He is not quick enough to be a full-time centerfielder, but he is good enough to be a plus defender at one of the corner outfield spots. This is why it is even more essential that he eventually hit for power(sorry to harp on that point). He should be able to steal some bases long term though because he is a smart baserunner with above average speed. His baserunning could still use some work, as is shown by the fact that he was caught stealing 10 times this season in 29 attempts.

The long term outlook on Ben Gamel depends on how he continues to develop. There is nothing stopping him from developing the power he needs to make it to the major leagues, except maybe his size. With a floor of Colin Curtis, his ceiling is actually an above average everyday left fielder. He could be a 20 HR, 20 SB, .300 average type of hitter if everything turns out right.

His estimated time of arrival is 2016. He is not the type of player I anticipate skipping levels as he goes along. What I do expect is that this season he will quadruple his homerun total from last season. This would put him at eight homeruns, and well on his way to where he needs to be. I also anticipate an increase across the board in extra base hits, and a higher stolen base percentage.

Gamel is the type of guy who could be fun to watch blossom from a smallish, high average hitter into a major league slugger. His progress will likely be gradual if he is able to get there, but this could be the year he breaks out and puts himself on the fast track to the Bronx.

vCash
    BBDP Breakout candidate: You can’t replace the Ref

BBDP Nickname: “The Ref”

The basics:
    Name: Rob Refsnyder
    Draft: 5th round of the 2012 draft out of the University of Arizona.
    Size: 6-foot-1, 205-pounds
    Bats: Right
    Throws: Right
    Best Tools: Hit tool, athleticism and speed, and “it” factor tool.
    Needs Work: 2nd base defense, consistency at the plate.
    BBDP Ranking: 46

Forget the fact that he batted .352 for the Arizona Wildcats last season. Ignore his excellent athleticism, recruited by Pac-12 teams to play quarterback in addition to baseball. Don’t even mention the fact that he won the College World Series Most Outstanding Player in 2012. After all of this, he was drafted by the New York Yankees in the 5th round and told that he had to switch positions from outfield to second base. Not only that, but after taking some time off following the College World Series, he was thrust into Low-A full season baseball with the Charleston River Dogs.

This all sounds a bit overwhelming, and perhaps it was for Robert Refsnyder. He struggled bigtime out of the gate in 2012. The Ref wasn’t hitting for power, getting on base, or stealing bases. Not only that, but he only played a few games at second base before being switched back to the outfield for the remainder of the season. Refsnyder kept working at it though, and he went on a tear late in the season. His stats for the season ended up being .241/.319/.364/.683. Those numbers aren’t great by any stretch of the imagination, but a few things jump out at you.

First of all, despite the low average he still got on base a good amount. This goes along with the scouting report which states that he has excellent patience at the plate. The other thing that jumps out at you if you look at his splits is that he finished the season 11 for his last 36 (.306). He also hit four homers and 11 SB on the short season in 162 at bats. Not bad for a 21 year old in Low-A. The late season surge shows that he will be able to make adjustments as time goes on and the competition improves.

The success continued into the offseason. This year at instructs he worked on his defense at second base, and most feel he will in fact be able to make the transition. That will be a huge feather in his cap, and would be enough to increase his ranking substantially if he was able to stick at the position. Word is he made enough improvement that he will in fact play second base in 2013. With his athleticism, I wouldn’t be surprised if he was a plus second basemen by season’s end.

Although his minor league batting average wouldn’t suggest it, Refsnyder’s hit tool is one of his best. Transitioning from metal to wood bats, jumping several levels straight to Low-A, and suffering from rust after taking some time off from the game are likely factors that played into his early season struggles. He’s a line drive hitter with some pop, so it would be surprising if he wasn’t able to hit for an average circa .300 next season. Along with his hit tool, he also has the ability to draw walks. This is something our current all-star second baseman does not have, and makes Refsnyder even more valuable at the plate.

Athleticism and speed are also a major part of his game. He stole 11 bases in just 46 games, which means he could steal close to 40 over a full major league season. It remains to be seen if this speed will translate into steals at the highest levels of the game though, because catchers and pitchers are much better at preventing steals as the competition gets better. Regardless of steals, he is athletic enough to play a middle infield position and do it well.

The last tool listed is the “it” factor tool. Many will argue that this tool doesn’t exist. Personally, I think it has to exist to a certain extent. Derek Jeter has won since he was wearing diapers. Okay, that’s an exaggeration but he won at the Little League World Series as a kid, and never stopped winning since then. Nick Swisher, on the other hand, appears not to have a clutch bone in his body. Say what you will about sample sizes, but Nick Swisher has been in the playoffs 6 seasons now and has 154 at bats. He’s batting .169. That’s an argument for another day though. If clutch does exist, then Robert Refsnyder is the most likely player in the entire 2012 draft to possess it. He’s shown in the recent past that he is at his best in the most important games.

He also has great leadership qualities and is the type of player who has thus far always said the right things to the media. This was never more apparent than when South Carolina fans were screaming racial slurs at him during a game in the CWS and he handled the media with grace.

If Robert Refsnyder is able to improve his defense at second base and develop more consistency at the plate, he is one of the top choices to break out and be a top 20, or even top 10 player in the Yankees farm system by the end of next season. Improving his consistency might not be as difficult as it sounds, as he appeared to find himself at the plate late last season. If he can carry that over into next season, his only chore will be to become a better defender.

The ceiling with Refsnyder is an all-star second baseman. He’s got great potential and he was the MVP against the best competition NCAA baseball has to offer. The floor is what we saw early in his minor league career. A guy who just isn’t able to transition and isn’t able to cut it at second base. If that’s the case, he won’t play a game in the major leagues. That said, I think his actual performance will be closer to his ceiling than it will to his floor.

His estimated time of arrival would be 2015. If he figures things out quickly it could be even sooner than that. He’s yet another player for the Yankees with the potential to be a star. Eventually the Yankees are going to be able to cash in on a few of these players, and it’s going to be quite a show when they do.

vCash
    BBDP: Breakout candidate 2013; Greg Bird is the word

BBDP Nickname: “Birdman”

Greg Bird didn’t get a lot of love on prospect lists, including our own here at BBD. In fact, we ranked him at just 35 after this season was over. Greg Bird has the talent to make us regret that ranking, and he may do that sooner rather than later.

Bird was one of the players the Yankees over slotted in the 2011 draft. He barely saw any time that season due to injury. He also missed a good portion of the 2012 season from a back injury, which prompted the Yankees brass to move him from catcher to first base.

The immediate impact of this decision was to decrease his value significantly. First basemen who can hit are a dime a dozen in the major leagues, and it is not a particularly difficult position to play defensively. Of course there are defensive superstars like Mark Teixeira who increase their value by being superb at preventing runs, but the most important thing you must do as a first baseman is hit, and hit for power.

Bird, however, can do just that. He has wowed coaches and scouts alike with his ability to square the ball and hit for power since he got healthy this season. At instructs, more of the same. He has a good chance to explode onto the scene in 2013 much like Mason Williams did in 2011. If he hits like he is capable of hitting, it won’t matter what position he plays; he will be a top prospect.

2011 was the first year when Bird had extended playing time. All he did was hit .337/.450/.494/.944 over two levels, Rookie and Short Season Staten Island. He hit just two homeruns but he also had six doubles and a triple in just 89 at bats. The one flaw is that he struck out 23 times during that span. Over a 500 at bat season that means he would have struck out 129 times. That’s not horrible but it’s also not great.

The now 20 year old prospect measures 6-foot-3 and weighs in at 224-pounds, a good sized athlete. His swing is short, straight to the ball, and compact. It’s your classic power stroke. He’s also a patient hitter as indicated by his .450 OBP and 17 walks on the season.

It remains to be seen what he will be able to do defensively as a first baseman, however scouts say that he is athletic enough to make the move. He has the ability to be a plus first baseman if he is willing to work at it.

The main knock on Bird is now that he’s a first baseman he will have to hit all the way up the ladder if he wants to ever contribute to the major league team. This is the reason for the low rankings he has received. He hasn’t hit in any of the full season leagues yet, and until he does there is no telling where he stands.

He has the potential to be a middle of the order hitter with 40 homerun power within his reach. His ceiling is obviously an all-star first baseman, but if I haven’t made it clear above his floor is a complete fade out. If he has a big year at Charleston in 2013 the picture will start to get a lot more clear, and he will shoot up the rankings. He could easily be a top 10 talent by next season depending on how things shake out.

The estimated time of arrival is difficult in a guy who hasn’t even played full season baseball yet. Assuming he is in Charleston next season, I would project him as a guy who goes one to two levels at a time, making his debut in 2016-2017.

Bird is the type of player this farm system has lacked since the departure of Jesus Montero. He is a pure hitter, and one that has exceptional power potential. He will never fill Montero’s shoes as a super prospect because of his position, but he could pave his own way to the majors and have a long, successful career if things go right.

vCash
    My sleeper picks (2 pitchers and 2 hitters), I'll try not to choose popular names like Bird or Gumbs.

1- SS Cito Culver- He's been disappointing since being taken in the 1st round. It wasn't a total loss. His plate discipline (71 walks led the system) and defensive ability (flashing both a plus arm and above average range) remain as good as ever. Switch-hitting prospects some time take a bit of time to put everything together. He's still just 20 years old.

2- 2B Anderson Feliz: Had an injury riddled 2012. Hamstring injury, broken finger on throwing hand and elbow inflammation. He showed signs of being legit in Charleston in a SSS before injuries. His tools remain as intriguing as ever. If healthy, I expect a pretty big season from Feliz. Like Culver, he's still just 20.

3- RHP Giovanny Gallegos: Mexican signee who made his stateside debut last year. He had an impressive, albeit short, 2012 campaign. 1.67 ERA and a 22-2 K-BB ratio in 27 IP. He flashes a very strong fastball-curveball combo. Fastball sits around 92 and the curve is showing big league potential already. His command and delivery are also considered plus. He can move up quickly, if given a chance, due to his advanced approach and control of the K-zone.

4- RHP Shane Greene. Greene has been a sleeper for me for the past couple of years. His repertoire includes two above average fastballs (4-seam: 93-97, 2-seam: 90-93), a plus slider and an above average change-up. While his stuff is great his command and his recent performance isn't. There's a good chance that he will be switched to a reliever and I think he can really take off. His stuff is some of the best in the system. He will be 25 this year so time is running out.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

Page 28 of 67 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038 ... LastLast