Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast
Results 631 to 645 of 1001
  1. #631
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,557
    vCash
    1500
    Nova will be an ace someday. I've got a pallet of speedos riding on this!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  2. #632
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    21,299
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by CostanzaNumba0 View Post
    Define "help"? I know this system pretty well and aside from montgomery in like the 7th inning, there is no one close to the majors that will put up better than league replacement numbers this season. Our guys are in High A ball. It is what it is.
    why must everyone be a star player? help means doing your part to contribute so those who get paid the big bucks to perform do. We might not have a Montero bat in the system anymore but we have guys that can come in and help this team win.

    David Adams has the bat to perform, Montgomery has the stuff to pitch in mlb now, I still have my questions if Ronnie mustellier can crack it. He may be one of those players thats good for 2 years and then noone ever hears about him again. We have Romine among other pitchers and role bats.

  3. #633
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    21,299
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG-NYC View Post
    If you look back at our history our top prospects never really pan out. Its the under the radar prospects that contribute the most to the team. Robinson Cano is our best offensive player right now but he was almost a throw in with the Arod trade, but Texas did not take him. Chin Min Wong came out of now where and was winning 19 games a year until he blewout his shoulder. Melky was a key contributor, Grandner, Robertson, Nova, Phelps were all under the radar guys. Sometimes its about getting an opportunity, some guys dont have the tools but they have the mental mindset to be major leaguers.

    The only time rankings, and top prospects matter are when you're making a trade. You need 2-3 top ranked prospects to land a top player.
    this x 500

  4. #634
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Depths of My Own Insanity
    Posts
    3,315
    vCash
    1500
    Keith Law ranks the Yankees System 10:

    Yankees rank tenth in Keith Law’s farm system rankings
    By Mike Axisa

    Keith Law released his 2013 farm system rankings today (subs. req’d), which are predictably topped by the Cardinals. They have Oscar Taveras, a ton of MLB-ready power arms, and quality depth coming out of their ears. The Twins and Rays round out the top three while the Angels bring up the rear at #30. The Yankees rank tenth.

    “It’s a top-heavy system, but the group of position players who started in low Class A Charleston last year, some of whom finished in high-A Tampa, could produce as many as three above-average or better regulars plus several other guys who’ll have big league value,” wrote Law while also saying they’d rank higher had Manny Banuelos and Jose Campos not gotten hurt. Baseball America had the Yankees ranked 11th while John Sickels had them 14th, so the consensus right now is that 10-15 range. Tampa was the only AL East team ahead of New York, with the Orioles (13th), Red Sox (17th), and Blue Jays (24th) lagging behind.
    http://riveraveblues.com/2013/02/yan...2030/#comments

    http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/story...rm-systems-mlb

  5. #635
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    Clearwater, Fl
    Posts
    6,881
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike89 View Post
    The key is if they can keep these good OFers and let them replace Itchy and Granderson..

    I like an OF in 2015 of Gardner and the 2 best rookie OFers.....
    Last edited by rrzubnyy; 02-04-2013 at 02:10 PM.
    Nick

  6. #636
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    22,691
    vCash
    1000
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    The key is they can keep these good OFers and let them replace the Itchy and Granderson..

    I like an OF in 2015 of Gardner and the 2 best rookie OFers.....
    That would certainly be the ideal plan. Effectively monitoring Heathcott's and Austin's development through the minors will be very important for the Yankees front office in the next couple of years.

  7. #637
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by AFG-NYC View Post
    If you look back at our history our top prospects never really pan out. Its the under the radar prospects that contribute the most to the team. Robinson Cano is our best offensive player right now but he was almost a throw in with the Arod trade, but Texas did not take him. Chin Min Wong came out of now where and was winning 19 games a year until he blewout his shoulder. Melky was a key contributor, Grandner, Robertson, Nova, Phelps were all under the radar guys. Sometimes its about getting an opportunity, some guys dont have the tools but they have the mental mindset to be major leaguers.

    The only time rankings, and top prospects matter are when you're making a trade. You need 2-3 top ranked prospects to land a top player.

    Excellent, excellent post. It's not just the Yankees who have trouble with top prospects. It's everyone. If you look back at BA top 100 players, only 30% of the top 100 every go on to be major league average or above. Even the top ten has a failure rate of 55%. Worse than a coin flip. What really matters in a major league system is depth. Robinson Cano and the others you mentioned above were never top prospects, but those who knew the system well knew about their potential. Scouts who actually got out to the field and saw them play knew they had the potential to be what they are now. This is why the current system is so good. The amount of depth is greater than it has ever been since I've been following prospects.

    This is why I agree that these top 100 rankings mean nothing. Most of the systems rankings don't mean all that much either, because there's no possible way the people who put these lists out could have evaluated most of the players in any system. A lot of what they do is based on hearsay. There's no substitute for scouts actually going out and seeing a guy play, and I'm not just talking about one game either (a player could have an off day). As I said, there is no way these people who put out these lists can see every player.

    That said, I like these lists because they bring up discussion. The most valuable thing these lists do as far as information goes is that it gets people like the good people of PSD to discuss the merits and faults of the claims that these guys are making. For example, why wasn't Slade on MLB.com's top 100? So to me, there is merit in these lists, even if it is not in the quality of their content.
    Last edited by Phoba Rama; 02-04-2013 at 07:51 PM.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  8. #638
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Strike89 View Post
    I agree with the ranking. Where Law is wrong is about the team's depth. They actually have astounding depth.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  9. #639
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,372
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    Excellent, excellent post. It's not just the Yankees who have trouble with top prospects. It's everyone. If you look back at BA top 100 players, only 30% of the top 100 every go on to be major league average or above. Even the top ten has a failure rate of 55%. Worse than a coin flip. What really matters in a major league system is depth. Robinson Cano and the others you mentioned above were never top prospects, but those who knew the system well knew about their potential. Scouts who actually got out to the field and saw them play knew they had the potential to be what they are now. This is why the current system is so good. The amount of depth is greater than it has ever been since I've been following prospects.

    This is why I agree that these top 100 rankings mean nothing. Most of the systems rankings don't mean all that much either, because there's no possible way the people who put these lists out could have evaluated most of the players in any system. A lot of what they do is based on hearsay. There's no substitute for scouts actually going out and seeing a guy play, and I'm not just talking about one game either (a player could have an off day). As I said, there is no way these people who put out these lists can see every player.

    That said, I like these lists because they bring up discussion. The most valuable thing these lists do as far as information goes is that it gets people like the good people of PSD to discuss the merits and faults of the claims that these guys are making. For example, why wasn't Slade on MLB.com's top 100? So to me, there is merit in these lists, even if it is not in the quality of their content.
    Yup depth is more important than a couple of good prospects... You're increasing your chances of producing major league players... We have 4 very good out field prospects about 3-4 decent infielders..one excellent catcher and a couple of average ones... We have a pool of good pitchers that can be starters or be quality relief guys... So if you go by percentages we should produce an outfielder, an infielder.. A catcher and a couple of pitchers...this saves the team enough money to spend on top free agents

  10. #640
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,343
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    I agree with the ranking. Where Law is wrong is about the team's depth. They actually have astounding depth.
    i don't disagree with where Klaw ranked us but the last thing i would call or system is top heavy. I'm still trying to figure out what we have in the upper levels that he thinks is so valuable to rank us at #10. Besides the wealth of depth we have at just about every position from A ball to the DSL,IMO the great majority of our highest ceiling talent hasn't even played in AA ball yet and a large amount of that talent hasn't even played full season ball. I had to read what he wrote twice because I thought he may have gotten his teams mixed up. I'm sure he has access to way better info than I do but i completely disagree that were top heavy.

  11. #641
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    i don't disagree with where Klaw ranked us but the last thing i would call or system is top heavy. I'm still trying to figure out what we have in the upper levels that he thinks is so valuable to rank us at #10. Besides the wealth of depth we have at just about every position from A ball to the DSL,IMO the great majority of our highest ceiling talent hasn't even played in AA ball yet and a large amount of that talent hasn't even played full season ball. I had to read what he wrote twice because I thought he may have gotten his teams mixed up. I'm sure he has access to way better info than I do but i completely disagree that were top heavy.
    I don't think he means it literally, as in our best prospects are in the upper levels. I think by "top-heavy" he means that we have about 4 or 5 elite-ish propects (Sanchez, Williams, Heathcott, Austin) that he think may pan out to be above average players and the rest of the system is mostly miscellaneous spare parts and depth.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 02-05-2013 at 11:06 AM.

  12. #642
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    I don't think he means it literally, as in our best prospects are in the upper levels. I think by "top-heavy" he means that we have about 4 or 5 elite-ish propects (Sanchez, Williams, Heathcott, Austin) that he think may pan out to be above average players and the rest of the system is mostly miscellaneous spare parts and depth.
    He's wrong about that too though. They have everything in this system. They have major league close guys who are ready to contribute (albeit with low ceilings), they have the elite top 100 guys (I include J-Ram in that, he was in K-Law's top 110), they have elite prospects who were injured last season (Banuelos and Campos), and they have a ton of guys who are close to being top 100 prospects. http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2013/0...0-this-season/

    I think the ranking he gave us is realistic, just for the wrong reasons.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  13. #643
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    He's wrong about that too though. They have everything in this system. They have major league close guys who are ready to contribute (albeit with low ceilings), they have the elite top 100 guys (I include J-Ram in that, he was in K-Law's top 110), they have elite prospects who were injured last season (Banuelos and Campos), and they have a ton of guys who are close to being top 100 prospects. http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2013/0...0-this-season/

    I think the ranking he gave us is realistic, just for the wrong reasons.
    Yeah, don't get me wrong, I agree with you as well. I like a lot of the unsung prospects in our system, even though some may not have the flashiest tools. And I do like some of the upper level guys like Warren, Nuno, Adams, Joseph, Romine, and Zoilo Almonte. I think they will be a big help in bridging the gap between this current team and the one that will feature many of our lower level guys a few years from now.

    I also respect the fact that the Yankees seem to strike gold on some of the less glorified prospects so I do take these lists with a grain of salt. Like someone else mentioned earlier, these lists seem to be more useful for trade negotiations rather than as a barometer of future production. I tend to agree more with Keith Law's and BA's evaluations (yours too Phoba! ), however, so it's nice to hear their relatively positive reviews of the current system. Although the players in the DSL, GCL, and the low minors are far off and thus are inherently more prone to failure as they continue to ascend through the system, I do think that the combination of depth and intriguing upsides amassed at these levels may be a bit underrated by some of the evaluators making these lists.

    I started really following our farm system around 2007-2008, just before we got involved in the Johan Santana trade rumors, and this is the best the system has looked by far, IMO. I think the mere fact that they needed to add a second GCL team to allow all these young talents to get their proper playing time speaks volumes of our talent flowing in from South America, primarily the Dominican Republic. I can't wait to see some of these guys start to develop and get some recognition.

  14. #644
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,557
    vCash
    1500
    Does minor league spring training start the same time as MLB?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  15. #645
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Actually, there were 65 people in camp (prospects included) as of the middle of January, but you didn't hear that from me.

    I'm not sure when minor league spring training officially starts though.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

Page 43 of 67 FirstFirst ... 33414243444553 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •