Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    i guess we can only win with 20 per year players like we have in the past

I am not saying they need to spend $20 million on players just saying Hal is being unrealistic of trying to field a championship caliber team with a payroll under $189 million.....

He should just wait until CC, Teix and ARod leave or retire before worrying about paying more in tax.....he could easily have a freeze on free agents and then start over but now?

Or throw in the towel and tell the fans they are going in a new direction....
    Nick

vCash
    this is still a competitive team i dont know why they should throw in the towel, not one pitch has been thrown and apparently we suck in the views of people here, we did lose on offense but I dont know what a healthy youk can bring and see who comes out of nowhere to impact in production.

vCash
    this is still a competitive team i dont know why they should throw in the towel, not one pitch has been thrown and apparently we suck in the views of people here, we did lose on offense but I dont know what a healthy youk can bring and see who comes out of nowhere to impact in productionues with.
    I really have no issues with the 2013 team....my concerns are Hal saying he wants a "championship caliber" team with a $189 million for 2014.....
    Nick

vCash
    but you have no idea what the plan is, you are basing on concerns thinking that 70 million isnt enough to field a competitive team

vCash
    but you have no idea what the plan is, you are basing on concerns thinking that 70 million isnt enough to field a competitive team
    Personally, I am very concerned about 2014. I'm not saying they don't have a plan and I'm definitely not saying they will not be able to field a playoff caliber team in 2014. They have a long way to go, however, to get to that point.

An important thing to consider is the fact that even if they do have a plan, it doesn't mean that plan will work out. It's not like they can say, okay we will trade for this player and sign this player for this amount. Either the trade is there or it's not. Either the signing happens or the player is not willing to sign for that amount. In point of fact, the only part of this plan that is set in stone is the $189 million budget. That, I agree, is a reason for concern.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Personally, I am very concerned about 2014. I'm not saying they don't have a plan and I'm definitely not saying they will not be able to field a playoff caliber team in 2014. They have a long way to go, however, to get to that point.

An important thing to consider is the fact that even if they do have a plan, it doesn't mean that plan will work out. It's not like they can say, okay we will trade for this player and sign this player for this amount. Either the trade is there or it's not. Either the signing happens or the player is not willing to sign for that amount. In point of fact, the only part of this plan that is set in stone is the $189 million budget. That, I agree, is a reason for concern.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Adams should be ready sometime this yr, has an above average bat and can play both 2nd and 3rd base. Also even though i'm not the big CoJo fan he could be easily ready sometime this yr. Gumbs probably has the highest ceiling and best tools but he hasn't even played a full season in low A. We really won't know his full potential till he reaches AA, plus he is still one of the younger players in his league. IMO he's one of my favorite players but we won't know how good he could be for a couple yrs
    Thing with CoJo though is that his D just isn't that good. Lack of range and athleticism. Therefore, doubt he would get time in spite of the bat. Adams has been adequate at 3rd in the games I have seen him play. He's a pretty advanced hitter, but interesting to see how much pop he shows this year; he wouldn't be the prototypical 3B because he doesn't have the power. Gumbs looked good when I saw him at SI, but haven't seen him play live in a couple of years. But agree that he definitely has the highest ceiling of the three. I hope to see him and Cito live in May. Hoping all Cito's offseason work pays dividends offensively. I expect that he will be stronger and more muscular going into 2013. I wonder if we are considering signing Diaz (he doesn't count against the IFA cap), but evaluators are divided about his D.

vCash
    But $70 million and 18 players?

Heck, they spent $50 million on just 4 players ths year and 3 of those will be gone.....

ARod. Signed
    Jeter. Signed
    CC. Signed
    Phelps
    Nova
    Ichy. Signed
    Gardner
    Robertson
    Teix. Signed
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    18 players at $70 million?

A lot of players with one year deals averaging 3.8 million per player.....

Geez, Boone Logan makes $3 million this year.

They need more than half under $950,000 for it to work.....l

Hal is unrealistic with his goal or saying a winning team with his goal of $189 million......
    I agree. There is no way to field a competitive team for $189 mil given the legacy contracts and lack of MLB ready impact players in the farm.

In addition, I fully expect to lose Grandy, Cano, Hughes, Logan and Joba in FA and for the Yankees to finally refuse to offer contracts to some of the old guard (Andy P. and Mo).

vCash
    The sky is falling!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 6cadi6 View Post
    The sky is falling!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by kj244 View Post
    I agree. There is no way to field a competitive team for $189 mil given the legacy contracts and lack of MLB ready impact players in the farm.

In addition, I fully expect to lose Grandy, Cano, Hughes, Logan and Joba in FA and for the Yankees to finally refuse to offer contracts to some of the old guard (Andy P. and Mo).
    I actually think this is completely false. Yes, they already have a lot of money tied up in contracts. These players, however, are not useless. In fact when healthy they are all above average players. CC is way above average. Jeter is still above average at his position. Even Tex, if you factor in his defense, is above average at his position. I'm not saying it will be easy, but all we have to do is fill the rest of the roster out with some mix of prospects and league average major leaguers and the team is competitive. Assuming your figures are correct, we will be allowed 3.88 million per player for those 18 players you speak of. Between that, trades, and prospects, the Yankees can absolutely field a competitive team in 2014.

I agree there is a lot of reason for worry, and there is a lot of work to do by the Yankees front office if 2014 is going to be a playoff year. I don't think it's anywhere near impossible to field a competitive team in 2014 though. This year and next year we will find out what Cashman is really made of. If he can turn the 2014 team into a contender, I think even Sauron will have to tip his hat.

vCash
    Was reading an article somewhere on my iPad while taking my morning crap (I swear iPads were invented for that) and I believe it was Olney talking about the farm and Baseball America.

Basically summarized as such:
    BA rated the top 10 systems and Olney asked why the Yankees weren't in it and someone from BA answered that a lot of their people wanted to put the Yankees in it but right now their players are too unproven with Williams still in A, Heathcott's recent injuries etc, Austin needing another year like last, Sanchez needing to improve, etc. but that they all agreed as of now the Yankee's were definitely at the very least 11th. Then that tied into why AZ wasn't liking the available packages for Upton re: Williams only in high A, Heathcott's past injuries, Banuelos and TJ surgery. And that give it until later in the year and solid seasons from our specs and the Yankees could possibly be a top 5 with a plethora of attractive chips. Then it went on to talk about how because of that Upton won't be a Yankee unless it's a deadline deal or next year and by that point Stanton will most likely be available and it would in a way behoove the Yankees to hold off on Upton and let Texas get him so that they can step in and grab Stanton.

So here's to hoping Texas blows their proverbial load on either Price or Upton, our specs having good solid years and there being a paved path to Stanton in pinstripes.

Cheers...
    Last edited by DasBoot; 01-20-2013 at 06:02 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DasBoot View Post
    Was reading an article somewhere on my iPad while taking my morning crap (I swear iPads were invented for that) and I believe it was Olney talking about the farm and Baseball America.

Basically summarized as such:
    BA rated the top 10 systems and Olney asked why the Yankees weren't in it and someone BA answered that a lot of their people wanted to put the Yankees in it but right now their players are too unproven with Williams still in A, Heathcott's recent injuries etc, Austin needing another year like last, Sanchez needing to improve, etc. but that they all agreed as of now the Yankee's were definitely at the very least 11th. Then that tied into why AZ wasn't liking the available packages for Upton re: Williams only in high A, Heathcott's past injuries, Banuelos and TJ surgery. And that give it until later in the year and solid seasons from our specs and the Yankees could possibly be a top 5 with a plethora of attractive chips. Then it went on to talk about how because of that Upton won't be a Yankee unless it's a deadline deal or next year and by that point Stanton will most likely be available and it would in a way behoove the Yankees to hold off on Upton and let Texas get him so that they can step in and grab Stanton.

So here's to hoping Texas blows their proverbial load on either Price or Upton, our specs having good solid years and there being a paved path to Stanton in pinstripes.

Cheers...
    Haha I thought I was alone in doing that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post

I am positive there is no plan in place. The yankees haven't even attempted to trade any of their veterans. They're sitting tight and waiting for 2014 to roll around and then offload their players without any plans to field a competitive team for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by kj244 View Post

Yes, all those players should be gone. It'll be funny to see who they are replaced with seeing as the yankees have given no thought to the future this offseason and are only playing for 2013.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

Page 37 of 67 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast