Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast
Results 571 to 585 of 1001
  1. #571
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    1,318
    vCash
    1500
    I think we have a solid team for 2013.
    I think Cashman's plan is to wait until some of our top prospects get closer to AAA and then make some trades and bring up a couple of prospects at the end of the year so that they are ready for 2014.

    The original plan was to have a cheap and solid rotation for 2014 from a pool of Penida, Nova, Betances, Banuelos, Hughes, Phelps to go along with CC. But 2012 kind of put a dent in that plan because Nova and Betances regressed and Banuelos and Penida got injured.

    By trading Montero and the obove issue with our pitching prospects, Cashman cant really make a major trade because most teams want close to major league ready prospects. So he has to wait and see how the younger prospects turn out in 2013 and weather Penida comes back and Batences and an Nova can regain their form.

    It will be interesting if we're some how not in the playoff picture by the trade deadline, Do we continue to fight for the last wild card spot and get a one game playoff or do we trade some the veterans that we have and get some young pieces in return??

  2. #572
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,604
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    There's a huge difference between a millionaire who has earned all his money making careful investments based on sound research and planning, and a guy who buys a thousand lottery tickets and happens to hit the jackpot. Both can be categorized as lucky, but only one can be said to have taken calculated risks in order to win his fortune while the other one simply rolls the dice. You'll have to forgive me if I have reservations about a FO which gambles more than they strategize.
    I think you may be overvaluing FO strategy.

    Two of the last three WS have been won by a team that has the equivalent of Michael Scott acting as its GM.

  3. #573
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,638
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I think you may be overvaluing FO strategy.

    Two of the last three WS have been won by a team that has the equivalent of Michael Scott acting as its GM.
    When it came down to it, Michael Scott was actually a very good manager.
    Yankees - Jets - Rockets

  4. #574
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    There's a huge difference between a millionaire who has earned all his money making careful investments based on sound research and planning, and a guy who buys a thousand lottery tickets and happens to hit the jackpot. Both can be categorized as lucky, but only one can be said to have taken calculated risks in order to win his fortune while the other one simply rolls the dice. You'll have to forgive me if I have reservations about a FO which gambles more than they strategize.
    I don't blame you for having reservations about the FO. I have reservations about the FO too. I just don't see it as black and white as you do. I don't think they're all bad. They've made mistakes, and they've made great signings. The same thing went for George Steinbrenner in the 1990's. George was more successful at it but he wasn't nearly as successful in the 1980's and early 1990's. The strategy was still the same at that time. Spend, spend, spend. George was a risk taker, but he did it in the name of trying to put the best team on the field. He was willing to put his money on the line for the fans, and in hopes that the Yankees would become what they became. It turns out his vision was accurate. He still made a lot of horrible signings, but his team won. They got lucky several times along the way to those championships. I don't think any more research went into George's decisions than goes into the decisions that happen now.

    In fact, I think more research goes into the decisions now. Perhaps too much? Maybe that's why the success hasn't been there. Could it be that George's "I like this guy and he's good so I want him on my team" mentality was better. I don't know.

    Anyway, in short, the Yankees year after year outspend the competition. This year is going to be no different. I, for one, appreciate their commitment to trying to win. I don't think there's any reason to "have faith" in this FO, however I also don't think there's a reason to say that they've done such a horrible job either.

    I guess it's a matter of perspective.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  5. #575
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,268
    vCash
    1500
    Phoba.....list 5 of our guys who would compare to the Upton package.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

  6. #576
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Phoba.....list 5 of our guys who would compare to the Upton package.
    I'll take a shot at it. We really don't have anyone to compare with Prado, depending on who's scouting report u read Delgado probably has a ceiling of a 4th/5th starter unless he significantly improves his breaking ball and control. He's probably somewhere in between Phelps and Nova.

    Nick Ahmed is a 22 yr old college SS that is a plus defender but doesn't have a ton of offensive potential. We really don't have a SS at that level, CoJo, Adams or possibly Jose Pirela might be a comparable players the advantage

    Zeke Spruill is coming off descent season in AA, he really doesn't have an above average pitch and doesn't throw hard. He hasn't proven to be very durable throughout his career and probably at best is a backend starter /middle reliever. Adam Warren or Brett Marshall might be comparable but i think they both have higher ceilings but its pretty close.

    Brandon Dury according to Klaw is a non prospect throw in type, could end up as a 1st/3rd/RF type player but i with a ceiling of a average corner fielder . He hit really well his in rookie ball in 2011 but only hit .229 with 6 hrs last yr. U could pick 1 from a large number of guys from low A to rookie leagues and find a decsent comp

    Overall the Braves gave up Delgado who by most talent evaluators is likely to be a backend starter or above average 7th/8th inning reliever, their #9, 11 and 28th best prospects according to BA. No where near the package the were getting from Seattle or were asking for from Texas. Really the Braves only had to give up 1 above average MLB player, a young pitcher that profiles as 4th/5th starter/ middle reliever and none of their top 8 prospects. The braves absolutely stole him
    The closest package we could come up with that would be remotely similar IMO would be Nunez, Adams, Phelps/Nova, Marshall and maybe Cave

    heres Klaws take on the trade http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...cks-braves-mlb

  7. #577
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,268
    vCash
    1500
    Thanks Dayners....
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

  8. #578
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,604
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I'll take a shot at it. We really don't have anyone to compare with Prado, depending on who's scouting report u read Delgado probably has a ceiling of a 4th/5th starter unless he significantly improves his breaking ball and control. He's probably somewhere in between Phelps and Nova.

    Nick Ahmed is a 22 yr old college SS that is a plus defender but doesn't have a ton of offensive potential. We really don't have a SS at that level, CoJo, Adams or possibly Jose Pirela might be a comparable players the advantage
    Nova is the comparable I was thinking about for Delgado, but maybe Phelps is closer.

    For the non-hitting SS, how about Culver?

    We actually do have someone comparable to Prado if you count Cano. Obviously, Cano is better than Prado, but both guys are one and done free agents at the end of 2013.

  9. #579
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,268
    vCash
    1500
    Yeah, Prado is the wildcard we can't match up with that got the deal done.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

  10. #580
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    Nova is the comparable I was thinking about for Delgado, but maybe Phelps is closer.

    For the non-hitting SS, how about Culver?

    We actually do have someone comparable to Prado if you count Cano. Obviously, Cano is better than Prado, but both guys are one and done free agents at the end of 2013.
    It really depends on who's scouting report you believe on Delgado, the reason i think he closer to Phelps is that Delgado really doesn't have a plus pitch where Nova when he's on has at least 1 plus and 2 other above average pitches. Plus theirs a decsent chance that Delgado ends up in the pen where unless something goes horribly wrong Nova is always going to be a starter.

    I thought of Culver as well but he is only in low A where the other guy is scheduled to start in AAA. Culver is only 19 and still has a chance to turn out to be an above average player where Ahmed doesn't have a ton of projection left.

    To me their is no comparing Cano and Prado other than being a FA at the end of the yr, Cano is easily the best 2nd baseman in baseball and a top 5-10 hitter in the league. Prado is a very good utility guy but far from a superstar. I know people are down on Cano but i wouldn't have traded Cano for J Up straight up

  11. #581
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,325
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    Yeah, Prado is the wildcard we can't match up with that got the deal done.
    If puppy hadn't had such a horrible yr with the glove it would have been really close

  12. #582
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    I'll take a shot at it. We really don't have anyone to compare with Prado, depending on who's scouting report u read Delgado probably has a ceiling of a 4th/5th starter unless he significantly improves his breaking ball and control. He's probably somewhere in between Phelps and Nova.

    Nick Ahmed is a 22 yr old college SS that is a plus defender but doesn't have a ton of offensive potential. We really don't have a SS at that level, CoJo, Adams or possibly Jose Pirela might be a comparable players the advantage

    Zeke Spruill is coming off descent season in AA, he really doesn't have an above average pitch and doesn't throw hard. He hasn't proven to be very durable throughout his career and probably at best is a backend starter /middle reliever. Adam Warren or Brett Marshall might be comparable but i think they both have higher ceilings but its pretty close.

    Brandon Dury according to Klaw is a non prospect throw in type, could end up as a 1st/3rd/RF type player but i with a ceiling of a average corner fielder . He hit really well his in rookie ball in 2011 but only hit .229 with 6 hrs last yr. U could pick 1 from a large number of guys from low A to rookie leagues and find a decsent comp

    Overall the Braves gave up Delgado who by most talent evaluators is likely to be a backend starter or above average 7th/8th inning reliever, their #9, 11 and 28th best prospects according to BA. No where near the package the were getting from Seattle or were asking for from Texas. Really the Braves only had to give up 1 above average MLB player, a young pitcher that profiles as 4th/5th starter/ middle reliever and none of their top 8 prospects. The braves absolutely stole him
    The closest package we could come up with that would be remotely similar IMO would be Nunez, Adams, Phelps/Nova, Marshall and maybe Cave

    heres Klaws take on the trade http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/blog/...cks-braves-mlb
    Couldn't have said it better myself. We don't have a Prado but we could have gotten it done in other areas. I think, unbelievably, this trade again came down to money for the Yankees. Un-freakin-believable.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  13. #583
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    2,505
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    If puppy hadn't had such a horrible yr with the glove it would have been really close
    Incorrect

    Prado is a very valuable player for a team. In fact his WAR is 12.1 over the past 3 years, Upton's is 10.1. Prado is a PROVEN major league hitter hitter who is a plus defender in multiple positions.

    Nunez is none of these things..
    Last edited by Thump; 01-26-2013 at 01:36 PM.

  14. #584
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    21,238
    vCash
    1500
    i disagree, thats just falling in assumption cause we dont have any inside information to know that, the Diamondbacks probably didnt like any of our guys compared to the braves. And can you blame them? the braves have had success developing players and we have been on and off. Also there are many reports that teams had offers for upton bu he diamondbacks never returned their calls.

    there are many factors and we cant just say oh if we didnt do the trade it has to be because one of the other.

    as to trade packages delgado compares to nova, ahmed is a player that can be mlb ss even if its only because of the glove, i doubt culver ever sniffes mlb so i cant compare the 2, the braves were stacked on ss depth

    i like spruill he also compares to nova or maybe brett marshall.

    It might look like we could have put an equal package together but that wouldnt matter if the dbacks evaluators wouldnt have liked them as much as we do. See we follow our prospects and get to compare them to other packages reasons why we throw in culver when comparing to ahmed. Culver sucks

  15. #585
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,918
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by infernoscurse View Post
    i disagree, thats just falling in assumption cause we dont have any inside information to know that, the Diamondbacks probably didnt like any of our guys compared to the braves. And can you blame them? the braves have had success developing players and we have been on and off. Also there are many reports that teams had offers for upton bu he diamondbacks never returned their calls.

    there are many factors and we cant just say oh if we didnt do the trade it has to be because one of the other.

    as to trade packages delgado compares to nova, ahmed is a player that can be mlb ss even if its only because of the glove, i doubt culver ever sniffes mlb so i cant compare the 2, the braves were stacked on ss depth

    i like spruill he also compares to nova or maybe brett marshall.

    It might look like we could have put an equal package together but that wouldnt matter if the dbacks evaluators wouldnt have liked them as much as we do. See we follow our prospects and get to compare them to other packages reasons why we throw in culver when comparing to ahmed. Culver sucks
    You make valid points, but remember it was said that the Yankees were willing to meet the asking price in prospects. It must have been pretty reasonable for them to say that, considering they plan on filling many holes in their current team with prospects, and thus cannot afford to lose depth right now.. What they weren't willing to do was pay him his full contract.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

Page 39 of 67 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •