Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
Results 556 to 570 of 1001
  1. #556
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I am positive there is no plan in place. The yankees haven't even attempted to trade any of their veterans. They're sitting tight and waiting for 2014 to roll around and then offload their players without any plans to field a competitive team for the future.



    Yes, all those players should be gone. It'll be funny to see who they are replaced with seeing as the yankees have given no thought to the future this offseason and are only playing for 2013.
    See, I avoid taking extreme stances like that because they usually aren't true. I'm sure at the very least they have a rough framework in place of what they would like to see happen. In the end, neither of us can really argue the point because no one knows for sure except Cashman and Steinbrenner.

    Speculation aside, whether or not there is a plan is not really the issue. As I said above, even if there is a plan, it's almost guaranteed not to go as hoped. They're going to hit some bumps in the road, and again, there should be a lot of concern about where this team will be 2014. I won't subscribe to the doomsday theories, but I will say that Cashman has his work cut out for him. I will be extremely impressed if he puts a contender on the field in 2014 AND stays under the budget.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  2. #557
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Tacoma, Wa
    Posts
    4,333
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not overly concerned about the 2013 team with some good breaks and health we could still be a very solid team. Its 2014 and 15 that has me worried. If they have a plan their playing it very closely to the vest but reading Hals comments the other day it seemed that he is counting on huge production from players that haven't even played much AA ball and thats not the smartest way to run a team much less the wealthiest team in the sport.

    Im a firm believer in however they handle the situation with Cano, Grandy, Hughes, Joba and even Kuroda will be a huge factor in how this team looks for the next couple yrs. If they let them walk for mid 30's picks or nothing it will be a huge mistake and a dead giveaway about their plans for the future.

    As far as what we have in the system now i think its easily the deepest and most talented system we ve had since i've been following our prospects. Also i think this is going to be a huge yr for our system , with good yrs we could end up having one of the better systems in baseball. Plus having 3 picks in the top 35 could go a long way in boasting the system as well as making the rebuilding process go alot more quickly. I'm not counting on it but i could easily see 7-10 guys breakout and start to get National attention, then again we could have another yr like last yr where most of our big name prospects regress or get hurt.

    I really think that the Yanks made 2 very promising moves this off season by adding another MILB team and hiring a new MILB pitching coach that has alot of success developing young pitchers. Hopefully between those 2 moves we'll see some significant improvements and better health across the whole system.

    i hate to bring it up but some of the older guys on the board will remember our our old friend Chris Garcia. He is making a strong come back as a reliever with the Nationals being ranked in the top 20 in their system. Apparently his arm and shoulder have healed and he's back throwing his plus plus stuff. His FB is back to sitting in the 95-97 range and the off speed stuff is still ridiculous.It would suck if Garcia and Clippard end up being part of the Nats BP for for the next 5yrs

    Doesn't have alot to do with our prospects now but when Garcia was with the Yanks and healthy, which wasn't very often, IMO he had some of the best stuff and highest ceiling of any pitcher I ve ever seen in our system. Hopefully the guy can stay healthy and live up to even part of his ceiling. I'll always root for the guy because he was my favorite pitching prospect for a long time.

  3. #558
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    See, I avoid taking extreme stances like that because they usually aren't true. I'm sure at the very least they have a rough framework in place of what they would like to see happen. In the end, neither of us can really argue the point because no one knows for sure except Cashman and Steinbrenner.

    Speculation aside, whether or not there is a plan is not really the issue. As I said above, even if there is a plan, it's almost guaranteed not to go as hoped. They're going to hit some bumps in the road, and again, there should be a lot of concern about where this team will be 2014. I won't subscribe to the doomsday theories, but I will say that Cashman has his work cut out for him. I will be extremely impressed if he puts a contender on the field in 2014 AND stays under the budget.
    Have the yankees shown any indication, at all, that they are workings towards fielding a competitive team in 2014 and beyond while also staying under budget? I have not seen it. All they've done is not spend money or spent it unwisely this offseason. That's not a plan. What are they going to do when they have to let Granderson, Hughes, Cano, Joba, Rivera, Pettitte and Kuroda go? In order to properly balance a smaller payroll you need to trade your expensive veterans for prospects and younger players, and sign cheaper options. The yankees have never been willing to do either and this offseason is no different in that regard. Therefore they have no plan.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  4. #559
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    972
    vCash
    1500
    In 2014, the Yankees will have CC, Jeter, Texiera, Ichiro and assuming A-rod, when he returns and if no trades are made, Gardner, Phelps, Logan and Robertson. these are all very good players. They will also very likely find a way to keep Cano. So you have 10 players and need to decide on the other 15. If you assume that you can always find a couple of backup iF's (Nunez and Adams, for instance), a backup OF, a backup catcher (Cervelli or Stewart) and and at least one person from the bullpen from the current roster, you are down to 10 players that you either keep from the current roster (Joba, Hughes, Granderson), offer arbitration to, trade for sign as free agents or bring up from the minor leagues (Romine, Heathcliff, etc) and you have a year to decide on these maneuvers without panicking.

  5. #560
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,752
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Have the yankees shown any indication, at all, that they are workings towards fielding a competitive team in 2014 and beyond while also staying under budget? I have not seen it.
    I would have to agree that there's probably no plan if you haven't seen it. If there was a plan, I'm sure the Yankees front office would have been made a point to share it with you.

  6. #561
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,538
    vCash
    1500
    Slickified!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  7. #562
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I would have to agree that there's probably no plan if you haven't seen it. If there was a plan, I'm sure the Yankees front office would have been made a point to share it with you.
    Yeah, because we all know what geniuses we have in the FO. I'm sure they deserve every benefit of the doubt. Far be it for me to ever question their vision after so many of their smart moves of the past.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  8. #563
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the clouds
    Posts
    6,197
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Yeah, because we all know what geniuses we have in the FO. I'm sure they deserve every benefit of the doubt. Far be it for me to ever question their vision after so many of their smart moves of the past.
    I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed all the championships they've gotten us as fans. 3 years removed from one ain't bad, when you consider other teams who haven't even smelled the world series, much less the playoffs. Have a little faith my friend.

  9. #564
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,538
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed all the championships they've gotten us as fans. 3 years removed from one ain't bad, when you consider other teams who haven't even smelled the world series, much less the playoffs. Have a little faith my friend.
    Win.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  10. #565
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    I don't know about you, but I've enjoyed all the championships they've gotten us as fans. 3 years removed from one ain't bad, when you consider other teams who haven't even smelled the world series, much less the playoffs. Have a little faith my friend.
    Winning one championship simply based on the ability to sign a checkbook and having a lot of luck is not something I'd brag about. The yankees will be paying for those mistakes for many more years to come.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  11. #566
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    10,752
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Winning one championship simply based on the ability to sign a checkbook and having a lot of luck is not something I'd brag about. The yankees will be paying for those mistakes for many more years to come.
    If signing a "checkbook" (?) is all it took to win a championship, wouldn't we win every year?

  12. #567
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Creepyville, USA
    Posts
    25,538
    vCash
    1500
    Slickified! (Again)
    Leo's Thought Of The Day



    BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

  13. #568
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    If signing a "checkbook" (?) is all it took to win a championship, wouldn't we win every year?
    I never not said that having a lot of money was all it took; I clearly stated that having a large checkbook and a lot of luck was nothing that anyone should be bragging about. Don't twist my words on me just so you can defeat some simple straw man argument.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  14. #569
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    New Jersey/Delaware/PA
    Posts
    1,927
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I never not said that having a lot of money was all it took; I clearly stated that having a large checkbook and a lot of luck was nothing that anyone should be bragging about. Don't twist my words on me just so you can defeat some simple straw man argument.
    I don't think anyone has ever pretended that the Yankees were a team that didn't use the checkbook to their advantage. Even in the late 1990's when we were winning world series after world series, it's not like it took a genius to sign the top free agents and trade all of your farm players for top available guys and re-sign them if they played well in the playoffs.

    As far as that luck goes, don't you think there is an element of luck in every world series winner? I mean I would think there's a considerable amount of luck in winning something that the best teams in the world are lucky to win once every 15 years. I get that with the Yankees money they should be able to win more than other teams, but no matter how much money you spend, there's always the potential for good luck, bad luck, and everything in between. The Yankees, I would argue, have had their fair share of both good luck and bad luck.

    Major point: Of course the Yankees were lucky to win in 2009, every team that wins a world series is lucky.


    Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

  15. #570
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    6,953
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Rama View Post
    I don't think anyone has ever pretended that the Yankees were a team that didn't use the checkbook to their advantage. Even in the late 1990's when we were winning world series after world series, it's not like it took a genius to sign the top free agents and trade all of your farm players for top available guys and re-sign them if they played well in the playoffs.

    As far as that luck goes, don't you think there is an element of luck in every world series winner? I mean I would think there's a considerable amount of luck in winning something that the best teams in the world are lucky to win once every 15 years. I get that with the Yankees money they should be able to win more than other teams, but no matter how much money you spend, there's always the potential for good luck, bad luck, and everything in between. The Yankees, I would argue, have had their fair share of both good luck and bad luck.

    Major point: Of course the Yankees were lucky to win in 2009, every team that wins a world series is lucky.
    There's a huge difference between a millionaire who has earned all his money making careful investments based on sound research and planning, and a guy who buys a thousand lottery tickets and happens to hit the jackpot. Both can be categorized as lucky, but only one can be said to have taken calculated risks in order to win his fortune while the other one simply rolls the dice. You'll have to forgive me if I have reservations about a FO which gambles more than they strategize.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

Page 38 of 67 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •