Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    IMO if your looking for a Myers type impact prospect without alot of questions we really don't have one. Our highest ceiling players haven't even hit AA yet so they still have some questions that go with them because they haven't played at an advanced level and imo until a prospect hits AA u really don't know how good they can be. AA is where the pretenders are sorted out from the real deal prospects

That said for me the guys that could be impact players for the Yanks after they get called up are the names u always hear about. I think any of Williams, Heathcott, Sanchez and Austin could end up being above average to elite MLB players. Of those 4 IMO Heathcott has the highest ceiling of them all but has major injury concerns. i think Austin is probably the safest bet to actually reach his ceiling. I think legit arguments could be made for any of those 4 who could end up better it just comes down to personal preference.

Also i know Banuelos lost a whole season last yr and is out all next yr but i would give up on him becoming what we all hoped he would when he gets back
    Good assesment Dayners. I think this is going to be a very interesting/important/[insert good adjective] year for the farm and our kids. We are either going to be lined up for several years of talent coming up starting in 2014, or many of us are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Solarte, oh, oh!
    Solarte, oh, oh, oh, oh!

[Nel blu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lassù
    Nel biu, dipinto di blu
    Felice di stare lass]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Good assesment Dayners. I think this is going to be a very interesting/important/[insert good adjective] year for the farm and our kids. We are either going to be lined up for several years of talent coming up starting in 2014, or many of us are going to be sorely disappointed.
    Definitely. You have to expect a weeding out process though, and I think most of us here are pretty realistic about that. There's little to no chance that our big four all end up fulfilling their potential. The reason Tyler Austin is the most likely to reach his ceiling is because he's got the lowest ceiling of the group due to the fact that he's not quite as athletic (Sanchez not so much either but he has the necessary tools to be a plus plus catcher if he works hard enough at it). Austin is also the one who's currently closest to his ceiling (combination of being the best performer and lowest ceiling means he's easily the closest to hitting his ceiling).

Put it this way though, I'd be excited if 2-3 out of Williams, Austin, Heathcott, Sanchez, Banuelos, and Campos were considered top prospects by the time they had one season under their belt in Triple-A.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    Thank u .... i think we can guarantee that we are going to be very disappointing with alot of the players that were hoping turn into good MLB players because their prospects and the majority of them fail.

The thing that excites me about our system is that when u really look at the lower levels we have a massive amount of talent at just about every position. Most will come up short of expectations but i think were going to see a fairly large group of players emerge that have a legit chance at being solid to above average MLB players. When i say that i don't mean we'll end up with 7-8 top 100 prospects, I just think that theirs so much talent we could end up with a large group of prospects that could be above average MLB players by the time they reach AA.

To me we have more talent in the system than we ever have since i've started following prospects. I just hope the Yanks have drastically improved their player development system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Chughes View Post
    Definitely. You have to expect a weeding out process though, and I think most of us here are pretty realistic about that. There's little to no chance that our big four all end up fulfilling their potential. The reason Tyler Austin is the most likely to reach his ceiling is because he's got the lowest ceiling of the group due to the fact that he's not quite as athletic (Sanchez not so much either but he has the necessary tools to be a plus plus catcher if he works hard enough at it). Austin is also the one who's currently closest to his ceiling (combination of being the best performer and lowest ceiling means he's easily the closest to hitting his ceiling).

Put it this way though, I'd be excited if 2-3 out of Williams, Austin, Heathcott, Sanchez, Banuelos, and Campos were considered top prospects by the time they had one season under their belt in Triple-A.
    i agree Austins ceiling is the lowest of the 4 and is definitely the closest to being ready. IMO though his ceiling is higher than it seems u are giving him credit for. He;s no where near the athlete that Williams or Heathcott are but that could be said of 95% of all prospects. He is an above average runner and plays a very good RF. He's new to the position but it seems every time u read something about him they mention him improving defensively and having an above average arm doesn't hurt. Also IMO the kids bat is special, all he has done is rake since signing with the Yanks. All the scouts that see him all seem to come away impressed and don't mention any weakness at the plate. I doubt he'll ever be elite but he continue to hit at every level. I could see him putting up number in the MLB like .280, 20-30 hrs, 90 rbi's at his peak. Is that a little optimistic u bet but with his attitude and drive to succeed combined with his bat it would be tough to bet against him

I agree with u about being excited if 2-3 of the guys u mentioned ended up top prospects by AAA. Again i'm choosing to be a little more optimistic but i could easily see at least 4 of those guys becoming at least average to above average MLB players

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    Thank u .... i think we can guarantee that we are going to be very disappointing with alot of the players that were hoping turn into good MLB players because their prospects and the majority of them fail.

The thing that excites me about our system is that when u really look at the lower levels we have a massive amount of talent at just about every position. Most will come up short of expectations but i think were going to see a fairly large group of players emerge that have a legit chance at being solid to above average MLB players. When i say that i don't mean we'll end up with 7-8 top 100 prospects, I just think that theirs so much talent we could end up with a large group of prospects that could be above average MLB players by the time they reach AA.

To me we have more talent in the system than we ever have since i've started following prospects. I just hope the Yanks have drastically improved their player development system.

i agree Austins ceiling is the lowest of the 4 and is definitely the closest to being ready. IMO though his ceiling is higher than it seems u are giving him credit for. He;s no where near the athlete that Williams or Heathcott are but that could be said of 95% of all prospects. He is an above average runner and plays a very good RF. He's new to the position but it seems every time u read something about him they mention him improving defensively and having an above average arm doesn't hurt. Also IMO the kids bat is special, all he has done is rake since signing with the Yanks. All the scouts that see him all seem to come away impressed and don't mention any weakness at the plate. I doubt he'll ever be elite but he continue to hit at every level. I could see him putting up number in the MLB like .280, 20-30 hrs, 90 rbi's at his peak. Is that a little optimistic u bet but with his attitude and drive to succeed combined with his bat it would be tough to bet against him

I agree with u about being excited if 2-3 of the guys u mentioned ended up top prospects by AAA. Again i'm choosing to be a little more optimistic but i could easily see at least 4 of those guys becoming at least average to above average MLB players
    It's good to have that optimism. I don't share that same optimism because I try my best to be realistic. When people read on these forums or in articles that we have four guys who are the next Bernie, Paul O'Neill, Mike Trout, and Joe Mauer they are disappointed when that does not come to fruition. If when they first read about the prospects, however, they kept in mind that even if only 1-2 of them work out that's a huge success, then maybe their view of our farm would be more positive overall.

vCash
    Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) tweeted at 10:08 PM on Thu, Jan 03, 2013:

OF Slade Heathcott hit .388 with .494 OBP in 18 games in Ariz Fall Lg. Yankees love his intensity. He is likely to start 2013 at Class AA.

Damon Oppenheimer, Yankees scouting director, said Heathcott is "impact player." If Heathcott progresses, he could play in New York in 2013.

Regarding Heathcott, Yankees would have to fast track him (which they don't often do). But Oppenheimer said he could play in NY this season.

vCash
    Jack Curry (@JackCurryYES) tweeted at 10:23 PM on Thu, Jan 03, 2013:

Mark Montgomery had 118 Ks, 27 bbs in 74 2/3 IPs at Class A, AA, AFL in 2012. Has nasty slider. Should pitch for Yanks at some point in 2013

Oppenheimer said Montgomery has a "really sick" swing and miss slider and also has makeup to pitch at end of games. Could be Phelps of 2013

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post

Mark Montgomery had 118 Ks, 27 bbs in 74 2/3 IPs at Class A, AA, AFL in 2012. Has nasty slider. Should pitch for Yanks at some point in 2013

Oppenheimer said Montgomery has a "really sick" swing and miss slider and also has makeup to pitch at end of games. Could be Phelps of 2013

What I like about Montgomery is we already know he's a bullpen guy. So there is no trying to mess around with him. I think he may be a legit shot to take over the closing role next season. It's just a matter of getting him comfortable to do so.

vCash
    I like those two post RC .... Slade you just gotta like that name!!!!

vCash
    It's good to have that optimism. I don't share that same optimism because I try my best to be realistic. When people read on these forums or in articles that we have four guys who are the next Bernie, Paul O'Neill, Mike Trout, and Joe Mauer they are disappointed when that does not come to fruition. If when they first read about the prospects, however, they kept in mind that even if only 1-2 of them work out that's a huge success, then maybe their view of our farm would be more positive overall.
    i agree with u most fans are unrealistic about what 99% of prospects will be and if they knew more about prospects the view of our farm system would improve. I'm not sure if your referring to my comments about Austin or just peoples view of prospects in general but with the way Austin has hit and gotten better i don't think its a stretch to think he'll end up an above average MLB player in his prime.

My veiw of our system is that we have more talent now than we have every had since i've been following our prospect seriously in about 05. Your a 100% right that if even 2-3 of our better prospects reached their ceilings that would be a huge huge success. What i am optomistic about is that we have a pretty large group of guys in our system that have the talent and tools to end up as MLB avg to above average players. That doesn't mean i think we'll have 6-7+ players that are going to be AS or elite players, the chances of that are probably less than 1%.

I just really like alot of our guys in our lower levels talent and tools. If were going to rebuild and contend again fairly soon with a new core we desperately need to develop these guys right and hope as many as possible turn into solid MLB prospects/ players to help fill out our line-up, rotation, pen or use as trade bait. If we get a few AS or even a handful of top 100 prospects out of it our development system is doing a very good job. That said i do think we'll end up with at least a couple very very good players from the group we have right now, might not be the guys that are being hyped right now but theirs enough guys with above average/ elite ceiling its not a stretch to think it could happen

OF Slade Heathcott hit .388 with .494 OBP in 18 games in Ariz Fall Lg. Yankees love his intensity. He is likely to start 2013 at Class AA.

Damon Oppenheimer, Yankees scouting director, said Heathcott is "impact player." If Heathcott progresses, he could play in New York in 2013.

Regarding Heathcott, Yankees would have to fast track him (which they don't often do). But Oppenheimer said he could play in NY this season.

the question with Heathcott has never been his talent, tools or ability its always been his health and attitude. If he stays healthy and focused i agree with Oppenheimer assessment of Heathcott being an impact player. He's truely a 5 tool talent and the closest thing we have in our sytem to a Trout type talent in terms of power, speed,defense and hittability. Not that i think he's going to ever preform at the level Trout has just that their skill set is similar.

that Phelps comment doesn't make alot of sence to me, Phelps was a starter that broke into the bigs in the BP and could end up starting again. Montgomery from what i understand is strictly as 7th, 8th inning closer type. I definately think we'll see Montgomery at some point this season and if things go right he could end up being a very very good BP arm for us. I see him more taking over Joba's role next season with Joba likely leaving but IMO it way to early to think he could close. It take a special mindset to get those last 3 outs that alot of very good relievers struggle doing.

Bp guys are incredibly hard to predict it wasn't that long ago everyone thought Melacon was our closer of the future and Drob was an after thought and we ve all seen how thats worked out

vCash
    What are the goods on Nik Turley???

Valuable prospect?
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    What are the goods on Nik Turley???

Valuable prospect?
    From BBD

"15. Nik Turley (Turley Bird), LHP, 6-foot-6, 230-pounds, 22-years-old: Turley earned a late season promotion to Double-A after a very solid year in High-A Tampa. He has a solid three pitch arsenal that helped him to a 3.00 ERA, a 9.0 K/9 and a 3.5 BB/9. It would be good to see him improve his command just a bit, but if the strikeout numbers stay where they are then he should be fine. He’ll start in Double-A next year and should be in Triple-A as long as things go right. Expect him to be contributing in the Bronx by 2014."

Turley sits low 90's with the fastball and can hit 95. His offspeed pitches have come a long way and now he has two plus offspeed offerings. Coupled with the fact that he is lefty, he could definitely be an impact player.

vCash

Would love to see Slade in 2013!
    Nick

vCash
    From BBD

"15. Nik Turley (Turley Bird), LHP, 6-foot-6, 230-pounds, 22-years-old: Turley earned a late season promotion to Double-A after a very solid year in High-A Tampa. He has a solid three pitch arsenal that helped him to a 3.00 ERA, a 9.0 K/9 and a 3.5 BB/9. It would be good to see him improve his command just a bit, but if the strikeout numbers stay where they are then he should be fine. He’ll start in Double-A next year and should be in Triple-A as long as things go right. Expect him to be contributing in the Bronx by 2014."

Turley sits low 90's with the fastball and can hit 95. His offspeed pitches have come a long way and now he has two plus offspeed offerings. Coupled with the fact that he is lefty, he could definitely be an impact player.
    Probably another Boone Logan, which is fine, it fills a possible need one day....
    Nick

vCash
    You know how people say we have nobody good in aaa.....

How bout we just promote the good guys to aaa.

Hi.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Bummer. The Core Be No More.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LeoYankee View Post
    You know how people say we have nobody good in aaa.....

How bout we just promote the good guys to aaa.

Hi.
    No, then we'd have to trade them. That's what we do with AAA guys.

Page 33 of 67 FirstFirst ... 23313233343543 ... LastLast