Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast
    vCash
    http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/0...ire-state-win/

Laird and Mustelier homer in Empire State win.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBadOwl View Post
    Here's an idea... trade with Cincy for Ryan Hanigan and Chris Heisey. Mesoraco is going to likely be their starter next year at catcher, and they'll probably re-sign Ludwick as well, making both guys somewhat expendable.
    I wouldn't mind this if the cost was reasonable. I wouldn't part with Williams, Banuelos, Sanchez or Austin though. If it'll cost us any of those prospects in that deal I probably wouldn't pull the trigger.

In this scenario the Yankees wouldn't have much power production in the outfield besides Granderson so I'm not sure if it's the best idea unless we manage to find a power upgrade over Gardner. Although I love Gardner I would love it even more if we found a significant enough upgrade in LF to push Gardner into a platoon/4th outfielder/pinch-runner type role.

vCash
    Went to Thunder game last night. Looked like Brett Marshall had a good curve dropping in at 79mph and a good change at 80mph but his fastball was topping out at 88mph and was getting hit hard. He was hitting 86 consistently with slider/cutter maybe?

Montgomery came in to relieve and had sloppy defense behind him, most notably Rob Sedegin in LF, that cost him a couple runs. however the Curve hitters had many swing and misses at his stuff which topped off at 91mph.

I came away impressed with Adonis Garcia. While playing RF he made an exellent diving catch on a line drive into the gap with the bases loaded for the final out in the bottom of the 8th. Also he hit a couple hard line drives for hits.

For the most part with runners on base the Thunder hit the ball hard right at the Curve defense so bad luck cost them the game as well as great defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Laying Low View Post
    1) you lost me at MINOR upgrade. There is no point there. Show me significant upgrade with upside and you'll win me over.

2). No he won't. Not over a full season. And not in the post season. Dickerson is a fine extra pie but not only is he not. Regular season starter, he doesn't have any upside to hold out hope for (like Romine).
    1) We dont need significant upgrade at the catcher position. It would be nice, but it isn't something we need. Martin isn't a fantastic catcher, but he's not nearly as bad as you're implying. By years end, he'll be around a 2 WAR player (which would be better than his '09 season and on par with his '10 season). All of this despite his BABIP being comically unlucky (to the tune of .75 BELOW his average). If I could find a minor upgrade for cheap or have a solution I would present it, alas I'm not the GM of this team and I don't need to worry about it. I wouldn't give the reigns to a AA kid who's had the injury bug and a career bum who's career WAR is lower than Martin's WAR this year. I'd probably be in the minority, and thats fine, but if you can resign Martin to a few years at a couple million, you do it. I would be damned if he had as poor of a season again next year.

2) Dickerson was an example, not my solution. Im sure we could find an outfielder (teams do release them too) or make a cheap acquisition (dont ask me who, we all know its possible) that could get on base as well as 29% of the time. For all the flack Martin gets in a comically bad year, he still gets on base at about 32% of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PaGus View Post
    Went to Thunder game last night. Looked like Brett Marshall had a good curve dropping in at 79mph and a good change at 80mph but his fastball was topping out at 88mph and was getting hit hard. He was hitting 86 consistently with slider/cutter maybe?

Montgomery came in to relieve and had sloppy defense behind him, most notably Rob Sedegin in LF, that cost him a couple runs. however the Curve hitters had many swing and misses at his stuff which topped off at 91mph.

I came away impressed with Adonis Garcia. While playing RF he made an exellent diving catch on a line drive into the gap with the bases loaded for the final out in the bottom of the 8th. Also he hit a couple hard line drives for hits.

For the most part with runners on base the Thunder hit the ball hard right at the Curve defense so bad luck cost them the game as well as great defense.
    Both Marshall and Montgomery throw sliders as their preferred breaking pitches not curveballs. I saw Marshall pitch back in HS and he used to hit mid 90's consistently.

vCash
    http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/0...our-scoreless/

Zoilo Almonte homers again and Whitley goes four scoreless in spot start

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Chughes View Post
    http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/0...our-scoreless/

Zoilo Almonte homers again and Whitley goes four scoreless in spot start
    Betances

Prospects who make me happy:

Adams, Zee, Heathcott, Turley

Really hoping Romine gets on track

vCash
    I seem to remember getting into an argument (I forget with whom) about Betances sucking.

Looks like he continues to prove me right.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    Both Marshall and Montgomery throw sliders as their preferred breaking pitches not curveballs. I saw Marshall pitch back in HS and he used to hit mid 90's consistently.
    I really liked Marshall at one point. When he was drafted the scouting report on him was mid 90's, power sinking stuff. Sucks that he has lost that velocity since his injury.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    I seem to remember getting into an argument (I forget with whom) about Betances sucking.

Looks like he continues to prove me right.
    One of the perils of following prospects is that they have a tendency to fail. Even top 100 prospects have a <30% success rate. Betances is just another example of that. It happens.

As for playing the "I was right game," you could say that any prospect will fail and you'd be right >70% of the time.

For the record I was not the one with whom you argued.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Chughes View Post
    One of the perils of following prospects is that they have a tendency to fail. Even top 100 prospects have a <30% success rate. Betances is just another example of that. It happens.

As for playing the "I was right game," you could say that any prospect will fail and you'd be right >70% of the time.

For the record I was not the one with whom you argued.
    I know it wasn't you, and you're right in what you're saying. It's just amusing to me that I was "foolish" to think the concerns with Betances would prove to be an issue in the future.

vCash
    Butt.
    And.
    Sis.

Yikes. Maybe we trade him to Dunkin Donuts for Brackman?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    Butt.
    And.
    Sis.

Yikes. Maybe we trade him to Dunkin Donuts for Brackman?
    Brackman has fallen off the planet, lmao.

vCash
    1B Kyle Roller was named the High-A Florida State League Offensive Player of the Week.

Triple-A Empire State (6-4 win over Syracuse)

3B Kevin Russo & DH Corban Joseph: both 1-5 — Russo doubled and drove in three … CoJo drove in a run and struck out
    SS Eduardo Nunez & LF Ronnie Mustelier: both 0-5 — Mustelier struck out
    1B Brandon Laird: 2-5, 2 R, 2 K
    C Austin Romine: 2-4, 1 K
    CF Melky Mesa: 0-4, 1 R, 1 K
    RF Darnell McDonald: 0-1, 2 R, 3 BB – three strikeouts and six walks in his last six games
    2B Ramiro Pena: 1-1, 1 R, 2 RBI, 3 BB — four strikeouts and six walks in his last nine games
    LHP Mike O’Connor: 5.1 IP, 5 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 4 K, 4/5 GB/FB — 57 of 87 pitches were strikes (66%) … picked a runner off first
    RHP Preston Claiborne: 1.1 IP, 2 H, R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB — ten of 14 pitches were strikes
    LHP Lee Hyde: 0 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 0 K — five pitches, one strike
    RHP Cory Wade: 2.1 IP, 1 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 2 BB, 1 K, 5/0 GB/FB — 22 of 37 pitches were strikes (59%) … all three-runs came on a homer with two outs in the ninth

Double-A Trenton (8-4 loss to Reading)

LF Abe Almonte, RF Zoilo Almonte & DH Kevin Mahoney: all 0-4 — Abe drove in a run and struck out … Zoilo walked and struck out three times … Mahoney struck out three times and now has nine strikeouts in his last 25 at-bats
    2B Jose Pirela: 0-5, 1 K, 2 E (throwing, missed catch)
    3B David Adams: 1-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB
    1B Luke Murton: 2-4, 2 K
    SS Addison Maruszak: 1-3, 1 R, 1 BB, 1 K
    CF Adonis Garcia: 2-3, 2 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 1 BB — 13-for-37 (.351) since the promotion
    C Jose Gil: 1-4, 1 R, 1 2B
    LHP Vidal Nuno: 5.2 IP, 9 H, 6 R, 4 ER, 0 BB, 5 K, 2/7 GB/FB — 67 of 98 pitches were strikes (68%) … allowed three more homers, so he’s up to seven dingers in his last 26.2 IP (2.4 HR/9)
    LHP Josh Romanski: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K – ten pitches, seven strikes
    RHP Jon Meloan: 2 IP, 2 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 24 of 34 pitches were strikes (71%)

Low-A Charleston (4-3 loss to Asheville in ten innings, walk-off style)

2B Ali Castillo, 1B Saxon Butler & C Francisco Arcia: all 0-4 — Castillo drove in a run, walked, and struck out … Butler struck out twice … Arcia allowed a passed ball
    SS Cito Culver: 1-3, 2 RBI, 1 BB, 1 CS
    CF Ben Gamel: 1-4, 1 K
    3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
    RF Rob Refsnyder & DH Casey Stevenson: both 1-4, 1 R, 1 K
    LG Eduardo Sosa: 0-1, 1 R, 3 BB — got picked off first
    LHP Matt Bashore: 4 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 0 ER, 2 BB, 6 K, 5/0 GB/FB
    RHP Brett Gerritse: 3 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/2 GB/FB
    RHP Ben Paullus: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1 HB, 1/1 GB/FB — 37/23 K/BB in 46.1 IP
    RHP Nick Goody: 0.1 IP, 1 H, 1 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 0 K

Rookie GCL Yanks had their game suspended with two outs in the top of the ninth. Serious. Here’s the box score, I’ll update the stats when they complete the game tomorrow.

Both High-A Tampa and Short Season Staten Island had scheduled days off. SI is off until Wednesday for the All-Star break. The actual game will be played tomorrow.

vCash
    Adonis Garcia!!

Page 16 of 67 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666 ... LastLast