Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 1001
  1. #181
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pottsville, Pa
    Posts
    1,801
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Terrible example.
    I dont think your seeing my point, Im not talking about analyzing the trade now, I was using the justification that was given for the trade at the time as an example of the philosophy I agree with

    So at the time, as u may recall, Jackson was not projected to be the excellent disciplined hitter that he has turned into. Instead, the knock on him at the time was that he might not translate into a major league star because of his lack of plate discipline and his high strike out rates.

    MY whole point is AT THAT TIME many scouts and the Yankee brass included viewed AJAX's potential ceiling as a Curtis Granderson type player. The line of thinking at the time was that they had no certainty of how AJAX would develop and if he had a Granderson like ceiling than why not take the safe route and trade him for the player we hope he turns into since that player is available, still young, and under team control. Its the safe play if AJAX busts and in the off chance AJAX does develop than even though you'll regret losing AJAX youll have a decent consolation prize. ITs hedging your bets and taking the uncertainty of the prospect out of play.

    I wanted to use the line of thinking and philosophy that was utilized at the time of the trade as an example of the philosophy I prefer. Obviously in this case AJAX developed and overcame is strike out issues but there was just a good a chance he wouldnt have. The point is Im okay with parting with young prospects for young proven players, I just cant stand when we do it to acquire aging veterans.

    Im sorry if I didnt explain myself well enough but I hope you see my point now, and in hindsight yes I would prefer to have Jackson but there were alot of question marks about him at the time of the trade. And Jackson is far from a proven product, he averaged .268 over his first two seasons in Detroit with about 175 strike outs per year and a combined 14 HR's. This season is much better but does it mean he will continue this trend or revert back to his career norms.

    Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

    My UFC Crew:

    HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber


  2. #182
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pottsville, Pa
    Posts
    1,801
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TallicaFan87 View Post
    Yeah, that example isn't looking so hot right now. Jackson is putting up a huge season at 25 and would be our 2nd best hitter at worst. He's putting up just as good a season as Cano.
    In making my point, I wasnt making an argument about who got the better end of the trade.

    I was using the Yankees organizational rationale for trading Jackson for Granderson as an example of my own Trade/Prospect philosophy and at the time many people in baseball viewed Jackson's ceiling as a Granderson caliber ceiling and until this season that comparison was a valid one. I was trying to illustrate my trade philosophy with that example.

    And at the end of the day, I dont think we made out as bad as you guys are making it sound. Curtis isnt gonna come close to hitting for average like AJAX has but Granderson hits for more power, drives in more runs, scores more runs, and walks more than AJAX. ALthough, AJAX plays better defense I think Granderson and Jackson are very similar in a lot of ways. Curtis may not hit for average like AJAX but i cant imagine AJAX will ever hit for power like Curtis can.

    At the end of the day, Id have to think both sides are pretty happy with the outcome of the trade.

    Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

    My UFC Crew:

    HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber


  3. #183
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    420
    vCash
    1500
    And Granderson does have a plus personality tool.

  4. #184
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pottsville, Pa
    Posts
    1,801
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    And Granderson does have a plus personality tool.
    He's a great teammate, an ambassador for the Yankees, and an ambassador for Baseball in general. He's a great character guy.

    He just has Teixeira-Giambi-itis, he either strikes out or homers cause he's locked in on that short porch.

    Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

    My UFC Crew:

    HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber


  5. #185
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leo's Mansion
    Posts
    19,952
    vCash
    1500
    Got some notes…

    C Austin Romine has finally made it back to Triple-A after missing half the season with a back injury and playing a few weeks’ worth of rehab games. He’ll join the club tomorrow and presumably split catching duties with C Frankie Cervelli.

    Hard-throwing RHP Corey Black has been bumped up to Low-A Charleston. I unofficially count four 2012 draftees playing in full season leagues already, which seems like an awful lot. Maybe it’s the new signing deadline.

    Triple-A Scranton announced their 2013 schedule, with the newly renovated PNC Field set to open on April 4th. All indications are that construction is going well and the park will be ready on time.

    In case you missed it earlier, we had an injury update on LHP Manny Banuelos and a discouraging report on SS Cito Culver.


    Triple-A Empire State (9-2 win over Rochester)

    3B Kevin Russo & SS Eduardo Nunez: both 2-5, 1 R, 1 K — Russo walked … Nunez doubled and drove in a pair
    DH Chris Dickerson: 1-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K
    LF Ronnie Mustelier: 1-3, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 BB – 7-for-24 (.292) since coming off the DL
    1B Brandon Laird: 3-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI — third homer in the last eight games
    C Frankie Cervelli: 1-4, 1 K, 1 HBP
    CF Melky Mesa: 1-5, 1 RBI, 3 K
    RF Darnell McDonald: 0-5
    2B Ramiro Pena: 3-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 K
    LHP Justin Thomas: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 37 of 61 pitches were strikes (61%)
    RHP Chase Whitley: 4 IP, zeroes, 3 K, 6/0 GB/FB — 30 of 40 pitches were strikes … pretty awesome job right there
    LHP Juan Cedeno: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GB/FB — 21 of 29 pitches were strikes (72%)


    Low-A Charleston (4-3 win over August in 14 innings)

    2B Ali Castillo, SS Cito Culver & CF Ben Gamel: all 2-6 — Castillo scored two runs and struck out … Culver walked, got caught stealing, and scored … Gamel got hit by a pitch, struck out, threw a runner out second, and drove in three, including the go-ahead run in the 14th
    RF Rob Refsnyder: 0-7, 1 RBI, 3 K — just three hits in his last 25 at-bats (.120)
    1B Saxon Butler: 1-4, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
    3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 1-5, 1 BB, 2 K
    C Francisco Arcia: 0-5, 1 BB, 1 CS — picked a runner off second with the snap throw
    DH Rey Nunez: 0-6, 4 K
    LF Eduardo Sosa: 4-6, 1 R, 2 K, 1 CS
    LHP Matt Bashore: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 7/0 GB/FB — strikeouts and grounders … picked a runner off first
    RHP Ben Paullus: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 3/0 GB/FB
    RHP John Brebbia: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 4/0 GB/FB
    RHP Charlie Short: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GB/FB
    RHP Nick Goody: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 34/7 K/BB in 22.1 IP
    LHP Fred Lewis: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GB/FB


    Short Season Staten Island (5-1 loss to Lowell)

    LF Taylor Dugas: 3-3, 1 2B, 1 BB — 19/30 K/BB with a .318/.462/.394 line in 36 games
    2B Fu-Lin Kuo, DH Peter O’Brien, 3B Matt Duran & C Isaias Tejeda: all 0-4 — Tejeda struck out twice, Duran and Kuo twice each … Tejeda also committed a pair of throwing errors
    1B Matt Snyder & RF Danny Oh: both 1-4 — Snyder drove in a run … Oh struck out
    CF Ravel Santana: 2-3, 1 CS — left the game after getting thrown out trying to steal in the sixth … CF Danny Lopez singled in his only at-bat after coming off the bench
    SS Jose Rosario: 2-4, 1 R, 1 E (fielding)
    LHP Evan Rutckyj: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HB, 5/4 GB/FB – 70/40 K/BB in 77 IP
    RHP Mariel Checo: 2 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GB/FB
    LHP James Pazos: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB
    RHP Stefan Lopez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GB/FB


    Rookie GCL Yanks (6-3 loss to GCL Blue Jays)

    SS Austin Aune: 0-5, 4 K — woof
    C Chris Breen & 3B Miguel Andujar: both 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
    1B Greg Bird: 0-1, 1 BB — coming back from a back issue and played three innings in the field … sucks they’ve already taken out from behind the plate, but it wasn’t entirely unexpected
    1B Bubba Jones: 0-2
    DH Ericson Leonora: 2-4, 1 R
    RF Yeicok Calderon: 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing) — two Yeicokshot!s in one game … that’s a league-leading seven homers in 28 games
    LF Nathan Mikolas: 1-3, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 E (fielding)
    CF Mikeson Oliberto: 0-4, 3 K
    2B Jake Anderson: 0-2, 1 K — coming off an injury and played six innings in the field … 2B Jerison Lopez went 0-2 off the bench
    RHP Luis Niebla: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 4/1 GB/FB
    RHP Kelvin Castro: 1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
    RHP Kenedy Agramonte: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K — 15/3 K/BB in 11.1 IP
    RHP Melvin Mercedes: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB


    Both Double-A Trenton and High-A Tampa had scheduled days off. Trenton starts a stretch of 28 games in 28 days tomorrow to wrap up their season while Tampa has one day off a week between now and the end of the year. Hooray scheduling.

    Source: RAB
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 08-07-2012 at 01:43 AM.

  6. #186
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leo's Mansion
    Posts
    19,952
    vCash
    1500
    The Yankees made Cito Culver a surprise first round pick in 2010, and the 19-year-old shortstop hasn’t exactly justified their faith in him yet. He does lead the farm system in walks (60), but otherwise he’s hit just .222/.330/.297 (80 wRC+) in 444 plate appearances for Low-A Charleston this season. Over at FanGraphs, Mike Newman provided a scouting report after seeing Cito recently and as you probably suspect, it’s not all that positive. He notes that Culver is solid on defense but can’t really hit, particularly from the left side of the plate.

    Newman does make a case for converting the Rochester native into a pitcher — he was 92-93 off the mound in high school — but I’m not sure I’m on board with that. Culver can still play shortstop and there’s value in that, plus he shows plate discipline and a solid approach at the plate. Perhaps some more physical development leads to more production at the plate. Hitter-to-pitcher conversions aren’t the most uncommon thing in the world, even after long layoffs. Another year like this and I’ll probably be singing a different tune.

    Source: RAB

  7. #187
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    In the clouds
    Posts
    6,277
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by TrueYankee View Post
    And what makes you say Banuelos will not be a #1 or #2 one day?
    The fact that the Yankees have ruined his development, first of all. They kept this kid in the low minors for 3 years. Granted, he was 17 when he signed.

    If this kid had all the hype, they should have called him up last year like they did with Betances and let him pitch in September. Was hoping they'd do that this year, alas it will not happen.

    Also, his stats are awful for the minors. The guy has a losing record at any level above A+ ball, not to mention his 4.5+ ERA. He's 19-19 with a 3.12 ERA for his minors career. He can pitch against the low A-ball teams, but can't in AA or AAA. He was 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in 6 starts this year at AAA. Last year split between AA and AAA he was 6-7 with ~4.00 ERA. Not very good! Betances, I should mention, hasn't been much better, but at least he's gotten some wins this year!

  8. #188
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Pottsville, Pa
    Posts
    1,801
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Got some notes…

    C Austin Romine has finally made it back to Triple-A after missing half the season with a back injury and playing a few weeks’ worth of rehab games. He’ll join the club tomorrow and presumably split catching duties with C Frankie Cervelli.

    Hard-throwing RHP Corey Black has been bumped up to Low-A Charleston. I unofficially count four 2012 draftees playing in full season leagues already, which seems like an awful lot. Maybe it’s the new signing deadline.

    Triple-A Scranton announced their 2013 schedule, with the newly renovated PNC Field set to open on April 4th. All indications are that construction is going well and the park will be ready on time.

    In case you missed it earlier, we had an injury update on LHP Manny Banuelos and a discouraging report on SS Cito Culver.


    Triple-A Empire State (9-2 win over Rochester)

    3B Kevin Russo & SS Eduardo Nunez: both 2-5, 1 R, 1 K — Russo walked … Nunez doubled and drove in a pair
    DH Chris Dickerson: 1-3, 1 R, 1 RBI, 2 BB, 1 K
    LF Ronnie Mustelier: 1-3, 3 R, 1 2B, 1 RBI, 2 BB – 7-for-24 (.292) since coming off the DL
    1B Brandon Laird: 3-5, 1 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI — third homer in the last eight games
    C Frankie Cervelli: 1-4, 1 K, 1 HBP
    CF Melky Mesa: 1-5, 1 RBI, 3 K
    RF Darnell McDonald: 0-5
    2B Ramiro Pena: 3-5, 2 R, 1 2B, 2 K
    LHP Justin Thomas: 3 IP, 2 H, 2 R, 2 ER, 2 BB, 5 K, 2/2 GB/FB — 37 of 61 pitches were strikes (61%)
    RHP Chase Whitley: 4 IP, zeroes, 3 K, 6/0 GB/FB — 30 of 40 pitches were strikes … pretty awesome job right there
    LHP Juan Cedeno: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 3 K, 3/0 GB/FB — 21 of 29 pitches were strikes (72%)


    Low-A Charleston (4-3 win over August in 14 innings)

    2B Ali Castillo, SS Cito Culver & CF Ben Gamel: all 2-6 — Castillo scored two runs and struck out … Culver walked, got caught stealing, and scored … Gamel got hit by a pitch, struck out, threw a runner out second, and drove in three, including the go-ahead run in the 14th
    RF Rob Refsnyder: 0-7, 1 RBI, 3 K — just three hits in his last 25 at-bats (.120)
    1B Saxon Butler: 1-4, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 HBP
    3B Dante Bichette Jr.: 1-5, 1 BB, 2 K
    C Francisco Arcia: 0-5, 1 BB, 1 CS — picked a runner off second with the snap throw
    DH Rey Nunez: 0-6, 4 K
    LF Eduardo Sosa: 4-6, 1 R, 2 K, 1 CS
    LHP Matt Bashore: 5 IP, 3 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 1 WP, 7/0 GB/FB — strikeouts and grounders … picked a runner off first
    RHP Ben Paullus: 2 IP, 3 H, 3 R, 3 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1 HB, 3/0 GB/FB
    RHP John Brebbia: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 4/0 GB/FB
    RHP Charlie Short: 2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/1 GB/FB
    RHP Nick Goody: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 1/1 GB/FB — 34/7 K/BB in 22.1 IP
    LHP Fred Lewis: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 0 K, 2/1 GB/FB


    Short Season Staten Island (5-1 loss to Lowell)

    LF Taylor Dugas: 3-3, 1 2B, 1 BB — 19/30 K/BB with a .318/.462/.394 line in 36 games
    2B Fu-Lin Kuo, DH Peter O’Brien, 3B Matt Duran & C Isaias Tejeda: all 0-4 — Tejeda struck out twice, Duran and Kuo twice each … Tejeda also committed a pair of throwing errors
    1B Matt Snyder & RF Danny Oh: both 1-4 — Snyder drove in a run … Oh struck out
    CF Ravel Santana: 2-3, 1 CS — left the game after getting thrown out trying to steal in the sixth … CF Danny Lopez singled in his only at-bat after coming off the bench
    SS Jose Rosario: 2-4, 1 R, 1 E (fielding)
    LHP Evan Rutckyj: 5 IP, 4 H, 3 R, 2 ER, 3 BB, 5 K, 1 HB, 5/4 GB/FB – 70/40 K/BB in 77 IP
    RHP Mariel Checo: 2 IP, 0 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 3 BB, 1 K, 3/1 GB/FB
    LHP James Pazos: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 2 K, 1/0 GB/FB
    RHP Stefan Lopez: 1 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 1 K, 0/2 GB/FB


    Rookie GCL Yanks (6-3 loss to GCL Blue Jays)

    SS Austin Aune: 0-5, 4 K — woof
    C Chris Breen & 3B Miguel Andujar: both 0-3, 1 BB, 1 K
    1B Greg Bird: 0-1, 1 BB — coming back from a back issue and played three innings in the field … sucks they’ve already taken out from behind the plate, but it wasn’t entirely unexpected
    1B Bubba Jones: 0-2
    DH Ericson Leonora: 2-4, 1 R
    RF Yeicok Calderon: 2-3, 2 R, 2 HR, 3 RBI, 1 BB, 1 K, 1 E (throwing) — two Yeicokshot!s in one game … that’s a league-leading seven homers in 28 games
    LF Nathan Mikolas: 1-3, 1 K, 1 HBP, 1 E (fielding)
    CF Mikeson Oliberto: 0-4, 3 K
    2B Jake Anderson: 0-2, 1 K — coming off an injury and played six innings in the field … 2B Jerison Lopez went 0-2 off the bench
    RHP Luis Niebla: 3.2 IP, 2 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 0 BB, 4 K, 4/1 GB/FB
    RHP Kelvin Castro: 1 IP, 5 H, 4 R, 3 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
    RHP Kenedy Agramonte: 2.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 ER, 1 BB, 6 K — 15/3 K/BB in 11.1 IP
    RHP Melvin Mercedes: 1 IP, 3 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 0 BB, 1 K, 1/1 GB/FB


    Both Double-A Trenton and High-A Tampa had scheduled days off. Trenton starts a stretch of 28 games in 28 days tomorrow to wrap up their season while Tampa has one day off a week between now and the end of the year. Hooray scheduling.

    Source: RAB
    Thats some good stuff right there, I was just asking about Romine in another thread. Ive been waiting for him to crack the bigs as a regular for some time, too bad he ran into some injury woes this year or youd have to think he wouldve gotten a look.

    Yankees - Knicks - NY Giants - UK Wildcats - Michigan Wolverines

    My UFC Crew:

    HW: J.Dos Santos - R.Nelson - B.Schaub
    LHW: R.Evans - J.Jones - Shogun Rua - G.Teixeira - A.Gustafson
    MW: C.Leben - A.Silva - C.Sonnon
    WW: G.St.Pierre - R.McDonald - J.Hendricks
    LW: D.Cerrone - J.Lauzon - M.Johnson - R.Nijem - N.Diaz - M.Chiesa
    FW: J.Aldo - J.Brookins - C.Sung-Jung
    BW: M.McDonald - U.Faber


  9. #189
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Meow
    Posts
    30,908
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    The fact that the Yankees have ruined his development, first of all. They kept this kid in the low minors for 3 years. Granted, he was 17 when he signed.

    If this kid had all the hype, they should have called him up last year like they did with Betances and let him pitch in September. Was hoping they'd do that this year, alas it will not happen.

    Also, his stats are awful for the minors. The guy has a losing record at any level above A+ ball, not to mention his 4.5+ ERA. He's 19-19 with a 3.12 ERA for his minors career. He can pitch against the low A-ball teams, but can't in AA or AAA. He was 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in 6 starts this year at AAA. Last year split between AA and AAA he was 6-7 with ~4.00 ERA. Not very good! Betances, I should mention, hasn't been much better, but at least he's gotten some wins this year!

  10. #190
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leo's Mansion
    Posts
    19,952
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    The fact that the Yankees have ruined his development, first of all. They kept this kid in the low minors for 3 years. Granted, he was 17 when he signed.

    If this kid had all the hype, they should have called him up last year like they did with Betances and let him pitch in September. Was hoping they'd do that this year, alas it will not happen.

    Also, his stats are awful for the minors. The guy has a losing record at any level above A+ ball, not to mention his 4.5+ ERA. He's 19-19 with a 3.12 ERA for his minors career. He can pitch against the low A-ball teams, but can't in AA or AAA. He was 0-2 with a 4.50 ERA in 6 starts this year at AAA. Last year split between AA and AAA he was 6-7 with ~4.00 ERA. Not very good! Betances, I should mention, hasn't been much better, but at least he's gotten some wins this year!
    He is still very young. Has really good stuff, and is a LH. So what he didn't pitch well in his limited sample size in triple-a. You also only look at ERA which doesn't tell the whole story as too how he has pitched.

  11. #191
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    7,001
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bedford1829 View Post
    I dont think your seeing my point, Im not talking about analyzing the trade now, I was using the justification that was given for the trade at the time as an example of the philosophy I agree with

    So at the time, as u may recall, Jackson was not projected to be the excellent disciplined hitter that he has turned into. Instead, the knock on him at the time was that he might not translate into a major league star because of his lack of plate discipline and his high strike out rates.

    MY whole point is AT THAT TIME many scouts and the Yankee brass included viewed AJAX's potential ceiling as a Curtis Granderson type player. The line of thinking at the time was that they had no certainty of how AJAX would develop and if he had a Granderson like ceiling than why not take the safe route and trade him for the player we hope he turns into since that player is available, still young, and under team control. Its the safe play if AJAX busts and in the off chance AJAX does develop than even though you'll regret losing AJAX youll have a decent consolation prize. ITs hedging your bets and taking the uncertainty of the prospect out of play.

    I wanted to use the line of thinking and philosophy that was utilized at the time of the trade as an example of the philosophy I prefer. Obviously in this case AJAX developed and overcame is strike out issues but there was just a good a chance he wouldnt have. The point is Im okay with parting with young prospects for young proven players, I just cant stand when we do it to acquire aging veterans.

    Im sorry if I didnt explain myself well enough but I hope you see my point now, and in hindsight yes I would prefer to have Jackson but there were alot of question marks about him at the time of the trade. And Jackson is far from a proven product, he averaged .268 over his first two seasons in Detroit with about 175 strike outs per year and a combined 14 HR's. This season is much better but does it mean he will continue this trend or revert back to his career norms.
    I understand what you're saying, but I couldn't help commenting on your example itself rather than the logic of trading prospects for young proven talent. We traded for a centerfielder when we already had three who could play the position. Then, when we got our centerfielder we kept Gardner in left, thereby cancelling out any offensive benefit of having a centerfielder who could slug. It would have made much more sense to move Gardner to center, and sign a leftfielder who could hit. In the end, you get the exact same production from your LF and CFer without losing Jackson , Coke and Kennedy.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

    - Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

  12. #192
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    13,664
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I couldn't help commenting on your example itself rather than the logic of trading prospects for young proven talent. We traded for a centerfielder when we already had three who could play the position. Then, when we got our centerfielder we kept Gardner in left, thereby cancelling out any offensive benefit of having a centerfielder who could slug. It would have made much more sense to move Gardner to center, and sign a leftfielder who could hit. In the end, you get the exact same production from your LF and CFer without losing Jackson , Coke and Kennedy.
    Bingo.

  13. #193
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leo's Mansion
    Posts
    19,952
    vCash
    1500
    Injuries impact on prospect development


    The 2012 season has been an up and down year for the Yankees farm system, fitting given the extreme variability and uncertainty inherent in following the minor leagues. While a number of prospects have taken big steps forward, injuries to several top prospects have overshadowed the farm’s 2012 successes. Injuries to Manny Banuelos, Jose Campos, and Mason Williams, likely three of the Yankees top five prospects, will prevent them from playing again this season, and both Campos and Banuelos have already missed substantial time. Since the news on Banuelos and Williams is fairly recent, I figured it would make sense to take a look at how the injuries will affect their prospect status, and projected ascent through the minors.

    Mason Williams

    Williams was recently sidelined with a tear in the labrum of his left (non-throwing) shoulder after diving to catch a ball in the outfield, and will miss the remainder of the season. Williams’ aggressive play in the outfield put him at risk of further shoulder dislocations if the tear was not repaired, so he went under the knife. Mason likely has several months of rehab ahead of him, though since the tear does not appear to be a very serious one, it is believed that he will be back in time for Spring Training in 2013.
    The injury likely won’t affect Mason’s prospect status in any substantial way, as he should be fully healed by 2013, and showed his stuff over a strong 2012 season. He will still be a consensus top 50 prospect, and likely rank no lower than #2 in the Yankee system (depending on how bullish one is on Gary Sanchez). However, it could slightly slow down his timeline to the Majors. I think missing the last month or so of 2012 increases the likelihood that Mason begins 2013 in High-A Tampa rather than getting pushed to Double-A Trenton. My guess is that he spends 2013 between Tampa and Trenton, starts 2014 in Triple-A Scranton (making his Major League debut late in the season), and joins the Yankees outfield full-time in 2015 (barring a trade). Ultimately, it’s not a big difference unless you were expecting Williams to be in the outfield in 2014 (when the austerity budget kicks in), but it shouldn’t have much of an effect on his long-term value. The injury likely decreases his trade value in the offseason, so if you were hoping that the Yankees would deal Williams in a package for Justin Upton, you may be out of luck.

    Manny Banuelos

    Yesterday, it was announced that Banuelos, who hasn’t pitched in nearly three months because of elbow and back injuries, was going to be shut down for the season. News like this often would ordinarily lead me to assume the worst, that the Mexican southpaw was facing imminent Tommy John Surgery. However, Mark Newman downplayed the severity of the injury, comparing it to a “bone bruise,” which leaves open the possibility that Banuelos could pitch in winter ball this year. He reportedly has been throwing, which likely indicates that he may not need surgery (assuming there aren’t any major setbacks). Either way, it has basically been a lost season for Banuelos, and he still has a lot of work to do to prove that he can hold up under a full starter’s workload.
    The injury likely ensures that Banuelos will spend the vast majority of 2013 in the minor leagues. He hasn’t accumulated enough nnings for the Yankees to feel comfortable giving him a rotation spot, and he needs to prove that he can get his command back to where it was prior to 2011. Banuelos hasn’t exceeded 130 innings in any minor league season, so I imagine the Yankees will try to get him up to 150 or so next year, putting him on track to join the 2014 rotation if all goes well. If Banuelos were healthy in 2012, he could have made a push later this season to join the rotation, or at very least get the opportunity to earn a spot in Spring Training 2013. Banuelos probably would have been a top 50 prospect this year had he been healthy and effective, but his injury (validating the concerns of skeptics that a pitcher of Manny’s stature may not be durable) likely reduces his prospect status somewhat. He will still be one of the younger pitchers in the Triple-A International League next year, and has plenty of time to figure things out and become an effective major league pitcher.
    There has been virtually no news on Campos and his mysterious elbow inflammation. The lack of news is always disconcerting, though it goes with the territory in the lower minors. However, if there isn’t any serious structural damage, Campos could come into 2013 fully healthy and in better shape, which could allow him to have a successful season and re-establish himself on the prospect map.

    While these injuries may set back Williams and Banuelos’ timelines somewhat, neither of them are serious enough to merit worrying too much about their long-term future. While labrum injuries can be death for pitchers, the fact that Williams’ injury was reportedly not very severe, and on his non-throwing shoulder, bodes well for a complete recovery. As for Banuelos, the lack of structural damage in his elbow is encouraging, and assuming there are no other problems that we haven’t heard about yet, he should enter 2013 fully healed and ready to rock. The rehab process required to get Williams and Banuelos back to normal will be a test of their dedication and work ethic, but ultimately, they will have to overcome much bigger challenges if they want to become successful big league players.

    Source: RAB
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 08-07-2012 at 04:23 PM.

  14. #194
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    13,664
    vCash
    1500
    ManBan is injury prone!

  15. #195
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Leo's Mansion
    Posts
    19,952
    vCash
    1500
    Catcher Austin Romine has been scratched from his start with Triple-A Scranton tonight due to a stiff back. Mike Vander Woude notes that the backstop is expected to return to the lineup tomorrow.

    Romine, of course, missed the first half of the season with a back problem and just returned to Triple-A after spending several weeks rehabbing in the low minors. He’s been having back trouble since 2011, so anytime something like this comes up you have to be concerned. What a miserable season for Austin



    Source: RAB

Page 13 of 67 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •