Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PaGus View Post
    Anybody else think Saxon Butler should be promoted to Charleston? Not sure what type of prospect Reymond Nunez is but Butler is not being challenged in S.I.
    Sure, nothing to lose except Reymond Nunez at bats (not much of a prospect at this point, but still very young). They might think he can't hit a curveball though, in which case they'll move him along more slowly.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Romine is n the best shape of his life.

http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/0...e-of-his-life/

vCash
    http://bronxbaseballdaily.com/2012/0...-for-the-show/

Dickerson homers twice. Is there a place for him with the team? Does he have trade value?

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    trade everyondlre. keep freddy garica though. yanks like the way he throws his junk all up on the other teams face,

vCash
    David Adams taking grounders at 3B today makes me very happy. The guy has been injured a lot but he can ****ing hit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    David Adams taking grounders at 3B today makes me very happy. The guy has been injured a lot but he can ****ing hit.
    He's come a long way this year. You have to think him taking grounders at 3B isn't just a coincidence. We have enough third baseman in the system, something tells me they might be considering him as the replacement for A-rod while he's injured.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyyfan4life View Post
    i really like that idea as well, if the Yanks aren't going to give Nunez another look at 3rd Adams would be my next choice. I know Adams can really hit and is supposed to be a pretty good fielder but does anyone know how strong his arm is and how about his speed since the ankle injury

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    i really like that idea as well, if the Yanks aren't going to give Nunez another look at 3rd Adams would be my next choice. I know Adams can really hit and is supposed to be a pretty good fielder but does anyone know how strong his arm is and how about his speed since the ankle injury
    His speed/defense/arm is pretty much average to slightly above average across the board. Still his work ethic is top notch as are his intangibles and by those alone he should be an average defensive 3B.

vCash
    Adams is in double-a..do they really think he can make the jump too the majors?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Adams is in double-a..do they really think he can make the jump too the majors?
    Well it has happened before, but I doubt they would do that with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call to AAA soon if he shows some skill at third. You never know, with the A-rod situation, we don't know what to expect the Yankees to do. But Adams taking some grounders at third just seems too out of the blue to be a coincidence.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carljam1 View Post
    Well it has happened before, but I doubt they would do that with him. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a call to AAA soon if he shows some skill at third. You never know, with the A-rod situation, we don't know what to expect the Yankees to do. But Adams taking some grounders at third just seems too out of the blue to be a coincidence.
    I agree but with a-rod out roughly 8 weeks. would it really be enough time to promote him to AAA ball and then up too the majors in that time frame Or do you think they are seeing now if he works out at 3B to be like an Eric Chavez for next year.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 07-27-2012 at 03:22 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by carljam1 View Post
    He's come a long way this year. You have to think him taking grounders at 3B isn't just a coincidence. We have enough third baseman in the system, something tells me they might be considering him as the replacement for A-rod while he's injured.
    who are u referring to? Bichette hasn't exactly been good this yr and Andjuar might be a stud someday but he's way way to young to tell. Just my opinion but to lengthen his career I would like to see them Switch Cano to 3rd base. We have a ton of very good 2nd base prospects especially Gumbs who is a few yrs away

vCash
    David Adams should be in AAA right now. He has nothing left to prove in AA. He can hit AA pitching just fine. I'm guessing, we don't really see him until rosters expand. He is on the 40 man roster though, so its interesting to see what he does. I think he makes a true impact next season.

vCash
    Nice article from a scout about some of the Tampa Yankees

Mason Williams
    Position: CF
    Level: High Class A Tampa
    Law's midseason ranking: 21

The Yankees center field prospect Williams signed for an over-slot $1.45 million bonus out of an Orlando area high school in the 2010 draft. He has raised his profile in pro ball with an emerging all-around tools package and solid performances in Class A Short Season and Class A with a recent promotion to Class A Advanced Tampa. He's had a bit of an adjustment period in his first couple weeks with Tampa, but I also scouted him earlier in the season at Class A Charleston, and Yankees fans have a lot to be excited about.

Being a 20-year-old in Class A Advanced makes Williams among the youngest players in the league and gives his performance a margin for error against competition that is often many years older than he is. Williams has such talent that he needs to be challenged, and he's having some trouble in Tampa while he decides what kind of hitter he wants to be. I've seen Williams driving balls up the middle for stretches, being pull-happy and doing an Ichiro Suzuki impression, trying to slap the ball the other way.

While Williams is a plus-plus runner with some skill at bunting, consistently trying to slap the ball the other way isn't his game. He has the bat speed, direct bat path and quick-twitch strength for average raw power currently, and he needs to use it by driving the ball in the middle of the field. Williams has an average arm and his speed plays well on the bases and in center field, as he gets solid jumps and has good instincts. As another example of his athleticism, a Yankees official told me that if the team didn't draft Cito Culver in Williams' draft class, then Williams would probably still be playing shortstop right now.

I've seen Williams face Dylan Bundy and stay on multiple high 90s fastballs and I've seen him drive good fastballs over the center-field wall. I also didn't see him swing and miss in three games in Class A. This all simply underscores the kind of athlete he is and the bat control and eye-hand coordination he has. His hit tool is at least plus (and closer to plus-plus for me) and these raw tools don't have me concerned about his low walk totals, since he is an aggressive early-count hitter who will hit for average.

The only question for me is how quickly Williams will figure out his approach at the plate since that's what's keeping him from the upper levels. He has a thin, wiry, strong frame with room to fill out and has the type of athleticism that could lend itself to another power spike down the road, similar to a player that I would compare Williams' future to, Jacoby Ellsbury.

Gary Sanchez
    Position: C
    Level: High Class A Tampa
    Law's midseason ranking: 28

Sanchez, a catcher, is another impressive young prospect at a premium position who was recently promoted to Tampa. The difference is Sanchez plays the most premium of positions and is over a full year younger than Williams. The 19-year-old Sanchez has been considered a top prospect since he signed for $3 million out of the Dominican Republic on July 2, 2009.

While Sanchez was outperforming Williams in Charleston statistically, I could see that he still was a little less advanced at the plate. In batting practice, Sanchez shows you everything you need to see to allow him to hit for average and power: outstanding bat speed and strength, lower hand position, deep load and a high finish. These elements combine to create massive 70 raw power on the 20-80 scouting scale. Beyond the rarity of 70 present raw power in a 19-year-old, Sanchez also shows this power to all fields, giving you an idea of how advanced his swing and tools are.

The inefficient part of his Sanchez's swing is his late hand movement. If you slow down some video, his hands actually change direction three times once his leg kick reaches its peak. The kick and hand movement are less extreme in games, but in games, Sanchez starts with his body in a compact position, so he's forced to lunge forward, making him more susceptible to breaking balls than he already is as an aggressive young hitter eager to show his power.

While Sanchez has the tools to make contact with almost any pitch when he wants to, in Tampa, he has had some trouble with a good fastball above his hands with two strikes. That seems unnecessarily specific, but on three occasions, I've seen Sanchez get to two strikes and not be able to get around on a well-placed pitch with above-average velocity above his hands. Like Williams, Sanchez needs to clean up his approach and game plan at the plate, but also needs to make some mechanical adjustments.

Sanchez shows some raw catching ability with a plus arm and some feel for blocking pitches. He is a well-below average runner who doesn't have great agility behind the plate, and his hands are average at best as he has trouble at times handling velocity to his glove side. His plus arm's utility is muted a bit as he doesn't incorporate his lower half as much as he could. He is far better than Jesus Montero was defensively at the same age, and there's still a chance Sanchez figures it all out, but there are some clear weaknesses to where an average defender is what Yankees fans should realistically be hoping for.

I know I've mentioned a lot of negatives on Sanchez, but he's already in rarified air as far as the raw tools and age versus competition. The track record of players who are elite in those two regards is very good, and there isn't a player I can think of that is a precedent, so I'm optimistic he will become an impact big league bat. That said, he's always been the best player on the field and thus hasn't really had to make a lot of adjustments to his game. Like Williams, Sanchez is being challenged, and he's now in a position to show if he's going to become the player he was paid to be.

Other Tampa prospects

• The next best prospect in Tampa is outfielder Tyler Austin, who was promoted with Sanchez and Williams from Charleston to Tampa for the second half. Austin was hit in the head with a ball in batting practice soon after his promotion and just got back on the field last night. I also saw a little of Slade Heathcott in the DH spot, but he didn't get on the field until recently. I'll see them both this weekend and write them up next week.

• The next best prospect on the field for Tampa was righty Jose Ramirez. Ramirez is a power-armed Dominican who's had some trouble staying healthy but sat in the 94-97 mph range with late life in a combined no-hitter. Considering his injury-plagued past, a skinny 6-foot-1 frame and below-average slider at 84-85 mph, he doesn't look like a slam dunk as a reliever but a good one. Ramirez's 83-85 mph changeup flashed plus potential with great arm speed and late sink, and he threw it to both sides of the plate versus righties and lefties. The comparison here is Fernando Rodney, and if Ramirez stays healthy, he could move quickly.

• Three other starters for Tampa also showed some big league upside. Righty Caleb Cotham sat 91-93, touching 94 mph, with a fringy 86-88 mph slider and 78-80 mph curveball but an above-average 85-87 mph changeup … Lefty Nik Turley is 6-foot-6, possesses an average 89-91 mph fastball that will touch 92 and a fringy 74-75 mph curveball. He also will flash an above-average 79-82 mph changeup with solid feel … Righty Shane Greene lacks the feel to start long-term but sat 92-94, hitting 95 mph, with an 82-84 mph slider that flashed plus and an 83-85 mph changeup that was above-average at times.

• There were also a few lesser, but still interesting arms in the Tampa bullpen. Righty Brandon Pinder sat 92-96 mph and flashed an above-average 86-88 mph slider, while fellow righty Tom Kahnle sat 93-96 mph with an above-average 82-84 mph changeup and solid-average slider at 86-87 mph. Righty Mark Montgomery rightfully gets attention for his consistently above-average 82-86 mph slider that flashes plus potential and a 90-92 mph fastball that touches 94, along with theatrical huffing and puffing and some big league guile.

•The group of prospects in Tampa speak to the job done by Yankees scouting director Damon Oppenheimer and his staff. Getting Williams in the fourth round, Austin for $130,000 and the preceding list of power arms all drafted with lower-round picks were excellent values. Opposing clubs' scouts covering this Tampa squad were simultaneously commending the Yankees for their deep staff and wondering why their teams didn't draft these talents.

I thought that was a pretty fair and accurate scouting report about the Williams and Sanchez. Also so pretty high praise and expectations, If Williams really turns into that Ellsbury comp we'll all be very very happy. I just really hope the Yanks don't do something stupid and trade either Sanchez or Williams for anything short of a legit young superstar or try to make changes to their games when they get to the upper levels

Also nice to see some of our lesser know pitching prospects getting some recognition. About the only thing i disagreed with was his assessment of J Ram, I'm higher on him than most but a guy that throws that hard and has a change up that good and a average SLer that he just learned this yr should end up alot better than Fernando Rodney. If he continues to improve his SL, i think he has a chance to be a pretty good starter or at least a elite reliever. I also thought he was a little weak om Turley but he has kind of come out of no where this yr.

I ve also crucified Oppenheimer and the Yankee scouts but this guy made a solid point that most of the guys mentioned were a result of good scouting and signings not high draft picks. Maybe their better than i ve given them credit for
    Last edited by dayners81; 07-27-2012 at 04:22 AM.

vCash
    I would have liked to see him mention Ramon Flores who, in my opinion, is clearly one of the better OF prospects in our system.

One of these days, hopefully Shane Green puts his **** together. He has three above average pitches but no idea on how to pitch.

Page 5 of 67 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast