Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    vCash
    We need to unload depth for a decent starter. Doubt we can do that without using a pick in the deal or young assets.

vCash
    Miller, if that's what we need to do WTF are we waiting for!!! We are so close, and we have soooo much depth on this roster it's ridiculous.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    Moute returns Saturday vs Rondo-less Celtics on Saturday according to 620wtmj radio.

vCash
    Michael Jordan listening to Charlotte and might have the Hornets name return.

Tom and Gayle Benson, new owners of the New Orleans Hornets, continue their lobbying to rebrand their NBA franchise. That could eventually result in Charlotte getting back the name “Hornets.”

In a pregame television interview before Wednesday’s Hornets-Utah Jazz game, Gayle Benson said she’d like to change the team’s colors from teal-and-purple to red-gold-and-navy blue. The Bensons have said from their initial takeover of the team that they’d like to change the nickname to something more associated with Louisiana.

That could open the door to the Bobcats acquiring the Hornets’ name, as some Carolinas fans have advocated. The Hornets played in Charlotte from 1988 through their departure for New Orleans in 2002.

Many Charlotteans still are attracted to the Hornets’ name and the teal-and-purple pinstripe uniforms. It’s become somewhat of a fashion statement among young fans to wear Charlotte Hornets throw-back merchandise.

However, if and when the Bensons rename their team isn’t ultimately up to them. Following the airing of Gayle Benson’s interview, the NBA issued a statement reiterating that any name, color or logo change must be cleared by the league office and that hasn’t happened.

Bobcats owner Michael Jordan said in an Observer interview earlier this month that he was receptive to considering a name change to the Hornets, should the Bensons give up that name.

“It’s definitely an interest down the road, but right now it’s the New Orleans Hornets,” Jordan told the Observer. “We would definitely entertain the opportunity. That’s as much as we can say right now. We’ve heard the community ask the question, and we would listen.”

There’s no telling what the cost or lead time of a name change would entail. However, NBA Deputy Commissioner Adam Silver said last April in Charlotte that this would be an easier process than other name changes because the league already owns the rights to the name “Charlotte Hornets.”

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/201...f-hornets.html

vCash
    To my knowledge, that leaves two teams that could realistically (and should) comprise the Varejao Sweepstakes: the Milwaukee Bucks and the Boston Celtics.

Milwaukee is a team with a dynamic backcourt and a wild assortment of overpaid veterans and athletic, yet offensively limited, young players in the frontcourt. Coach Scott Skiles seemingly sends out a different starting five every other game, yet the team has hovered around and just above the .500 mark so far.

While nothing is a certainty with Skiles at the controls, acquiring Varejao would provide stability at the center position for the first time since 2010-2011, when Andrew Bogut last enjoyed a relatively healthy campaign. The move would likely propel Milwaukee from a team that ranks in the middle of the rebounding table into the top-ten, while also giving the team a much-needed interior player who can score 12-14 points on a given night. Less importantly, second-year pro Larry Sanders would be allowed to remain in his preferred bench role through the move.

The move, in the process, would alleviate the tremendous logjam that the Bucks currently have at the power forward position. While Cleveland would ideally want to receive a talented young wing player in return for Varejao, Milwaukee does not possess such a player. Instead, it obtains Tobias Harris, a talented second-year player who has fallen out of Skiles' rotation; John Henson, a much-needed shot blocker who finds more opportunity (and a fellow former Tar Heel teammate in Tyler Zeller); and Samuel Dalembert, another shot blocker whose arrival also signals more playing time for rookie Zeller. Milwaukee would also likely have to include a future first-round pick, either in next year's draft or 2014.

The Celtics, on the other hand, have a greater need for Varejao: the team currently ranks last in the league in rebounds per game, last in offensive rebounds per game, and second-to-last in rebounding differential per game. Brandon Bass has never been a great rebounder, in part because of he is undersized at the power forward position. The team hoped that rookie Jared Sullinger would help the team's rebounding deficiencies, yet he, another undersized power forward, has also struggled in this department.

While Garnett's minutes limit has exacerbated the team rebounding problems, the team's focus on getting back on defense and its low scoring percentage in the paint are also likely factors in its struggles to create second-chance scoring opportunities (both ranked 23rd). The Celtics made extensive roster chances in the interest of extending its limited championship window; Danny Ainge and rest of the Celtics' front office would not hesitate to make small sacrifices of the future in order in give the current team a better chance to win.

So far this season, Varejao's number of offensive rebounds per game (6.0) is not far removed from the entire Celtics team's offensive rebounds per game (7.4). He would inarguably give the team an enormous boost in its arguably weakest area, collecting multiple missed shots on the offensive end each game and, thus, providing more second-chance opportunities.

While his usage would go down in Boston, he would still serve as a viable pick-and-pop option off screens set for Pierce and Rondo, while being a more successful interior scoring option to Sullinger or Bass, who both regularly get their shots blocked. Most importantly, he would give Doc Rivers another option at the center position besides Kevin Garnett (and Jason Collins), allowing the 36-year old to rest without significantly compromising team performance in the meantime.

What would make the trade particularly tricky for Boston is formulating an acceptable trade proposal that will not strap the team's future. The team would probably have to surrender one of its first-round picks from last June's draft, as well as a future first-round draft pick. It would also have to trade one of the free agents that it signed/re-signed in the summer, a move that becomes viable after December 15th.

I believe that, if a deal were to transpire between the two teams, Cleveland would obtain Fab Melo, Kris Joseph, Brandon Bass, and 2013/2015 first-round picks. Like John Henson in the aforementioned Bucks/Cavs trade, Fab Melo, as ineffective as he currently is as an offensive player, is a very good shot-blocker. Joseph would immediately compete with Omri Casspi and Alonzo Gee for playing time, while Bass would compete with Tristan Thompson for minutes at the power forward position.

While Cleveland would not receive a potential star in the return, it would significantly improve its depth, a necessary measure, and hopefully establish a set of young role players to build around Irving, Waiters, and next year's high draft pick.

In conclusion, trading Varejao will be, to some extent, a painful move for a franchise that has seen him develop from a fringe rotation player to a fringe All-Star. His departure would only leave Daniel Gibson as the only player from the Cavaliers team that reached the (very forgettable) 2007 Finals. In the end, however, moving Varejao will be the best decision for both parties. Trading the Brazilian to a team that can at least aspire to reach the postseason in the immediate future will be a sign of gratitude and respect, as it will allow the player who has spent his entire career with the franchise to help his new team while he's still at the top of his game.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...derson-varejao

Not to fond over bleacher report. Goes to show they still don't have clue about the Bucks.

vCash
    Henson all by himself may be worth more than Varejao in the long run, definitely no need to be throwing away picks.

Still not sure how high the ceiling is for Harris, but he is still very young also.

Even Ersan is only 25, and still getting more consistent.

Larry and Udoh still improving, just a young team yet.

vCash
    Still hoping Harris comes close to being one of these players at the minimum... Mashburn,Cliff Robinson,Glenn Robinson, Glen Rice, Cedric Ceballos......

vCash
    I'd be on board with that deal minus Henson-

Dalembert, Harris, 1 rounder.

Henson though, no thanks.

A frontcourt rotation of Varejao, Sanders, Henson, and Illyasova would be awesome.

vCash
    I wouldn't part with a pick or young assets. Sounds like Cavs are asking for the world any way. Teams been calling Cavs last few years about AV trade proposals. Besides Hammond been some what decent drafting lately. Especially with Sanders improved greatly this season.

vCash
    I don't think we need Varejao, but I'd take him for the right deal. I don't see us making a deal like that though. I really think we can afford to make a move with our depth, but we most likely aren't going to get anything with that much value. We already have logjams everywhere, and that likely isn't going to get any better with a trade since we probably won't get a surefire star.

I guess the only move I could see us making is for another backup guard if Beno is out for awhile. Lamb was alright at the pg, but its not his ideal position.

vCash
    I think a player like Varejao would be a great pairing for Sanders. Both are high effort guys, but succeed defensively in very different ways. I think they would complement each other very well.

I'd be on board for these two trades-

Harris, Dalembert, 1st rounder for Varajeo

Ellis, Henson, Future 1st for Gordon

PG- Jennings, Udrih, Lamb
    SG- Gordon, Lamb, Dunleavy
    SF- Mbah Moute, Dunleavy, Daniels
    PF- Sanders, Illyasova, Udoh, Gooden
    C- Varajeo, Sanders, Przybilla

That's a very good squad who could really make a run in the east. The starting lineup would be so good defensively, and there's quite a bit of offense on the bench.

Mortgages the future somewhat, but the team would be competive for a number of years, and could restock some young talent on the bench during that time.

vCash
    Gooden and a pick to Detroit for Prince? But it would be the bucks luck they trade Gooden and end up having multiple injuries in the back court.

vCash
    i dont wanna trade henson, really dont want to give up on tobias yet either but him sam d gooden and a first for AV would be nice also clear out a little of the logjam going from

ilyasova...udoh...henson...gooden
    dalembert....sanders

to

ilyasova....henson...udoh
    AV...sanders

that would be a more ideal front court and a better rotation while also getting dunleavy and luc richard more min! i think the trade would make us alot better i really dont want gordon...as much of a scorer he is he also has off nights with 2-8 pts!
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    also pryz should be on the center spot in the above post for the before and after
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Why are we looking at taking minutes away from Larry Sanders? That's all this will be doing. Sanders has for the majority of this season has played center when he's in. He need to be there, as he is not quick enough for most power forwards.

Sanders will be our starting center next year. All we need to focus on is getting a legit 2 e.g. not Monta Ellis.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

Page 12 of 67 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast