Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Gasol would be very nice but I don't see us doing anything better than Ellis and Gooden for Gasol and I don't see the Lakers doing that.

vCash
    I really don't want Gasol. As it's been mentioned before, who are we going to play at the 2?

And this coming from a guy who DESPERATELY wants us to trade Monta...
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash
    February is here. The first blockbuster deal of trade season has been swung.

And the countdown to the NBA's annual trade buzzer is on.

Teams awoke Friday with a mere 20 days left to try to follow up the Rudy Gay-to-Toronto extravaganza with deals of their own.

So let's lead off this edition of Weekend Dime with eight Trade Truths to get you ready for the deadline stretch run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. The truth about Pau

lastname

Gasol

Friday marked a full five years since the Lakers gave Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson new championship life by acquiring Pau Gasol from Memphis.

The Lakers wouldn't dare commemorate the anniversary by turning around and trading Gasol before this deadline, would they?

I still say no.

As poorly as Pau fits with this current mix, I still say that the Lakers have to keep Gasol beyond Feb. 21 because they have no assurances that Dwight Howard is going to re-sign with them. It's just too risky for them to trade Gasol now, just to replace him with a player or two who might ensure they don't miss out on their puncher's chance in the playoffs, when Howard could bolt in free agency and leave them center-less in July.

That said ...

Raptors president Bryan Colangelo, in the wake of the Gay trade, is now openly acknowledging that he's shopping former No. 1 overall pick Andrea Bargnani. The Lakers' interest in Bargnani remains a matter of debate in the midst of the Italian's worst-ever season by far, but the not-for-public-consumption message that continues to emanate from Canada is that Toronto remains intent on pursuing Gasol even after trading for Gay.

At a news conference Friday, Colangelo acknowledged that the Raptors are prepared to stray into luxury-tax territory in the "right transaction." One source close to the situation says Gasol is a guy who fits those parameters, depending on the rest of potential trade principals besides Bargnani./

So we'll see, over the next 20 days, if the Lakers change their stance on Gasol's availability ... and if Toronto can even assemble a package to tempt them without Jose Calderon's expiring contract to attach to Bargnani.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2. The truth about The Truth

lastname

Pierce

I know Kevin Garnett has a no-trade clause and Paul Pierce doesn't. And I know Danny Ainge is widely regarded as a cold-blooded gambler who'll trade anyone or anything to ensure that the Celtics don't free fall into the basketball wilderness when KG and P-Squared are gone, like Boston did post-Larry Bird and Kevin McHale.

But it's not that simple in real life. Ainge isn't just going to trade Pierce anywhere he wants no matter how many times he tells the story about Red Auerbach's openly lamenting that he held onto the Celtics' glory days too long. If Ainge ends up trying to move The Truth, it's my belief -- out of respect for the way Pierce stuck with the Celts through years of futility and ultimately helped haul the franchise, alongside KG, back up where it belongs -- that he'd try to work with No. 34 to send Pierce somewhere he could get somewhat excited about.

And that leaves only one realistic option: Pierce going back home to Los Angeles with the Clippers for a package headlined by young point guard Eric Bledsoe.

Yet everything you hear out there to date, heading into these final three weeks before the trade buzzer, suggests that (A) Ainge realistically knows he can't get enough back at this point in Pierce's career to send a Celtics living legend packing, and (B) Bledsoe remains untouchable because the Clips, like the Lakers with Dwight and Pau, can't afford to part with their prized QB prospect until they know Chris Paul is signed for the long term.

So the chances of a Pierce deal, at this juncture, are highly remote. Something like that would have to be classified as a major change to the team dynamic for a team that is always touting its chemistry as is. The only reason you can't rule it out completely is that the Clips -- for all the whispers in circulation that they don't plan to do anything at this deadline unless it's a slam-dunk boost to their title hopes -- might ending up needing a deep playoff run to ensure that CP3 re-signs, even more than they need Bledsoe as CP3 insurance.

And Pierce would instantly bring them the sort of championship experience and big-game shot-making this team lacks outside of Chauncey Billups, who's been out for ages. The Clips, as tight as they are, could certainly use a shooter/scorer of Pierce's pedigree to help loosen things up around Blake Griffin.

3. The truth about The Truth's team

Deep down, Ainge surely realizes that he probably wouldn't be able to get as much as he'd want back for Pierce or Garnett at this stage of their careers, even if KG ripped up that no-trade clause.

So ...

There's a rising expectation among some of Ainge's peers that Boston will instead try to move out at least one member of the Brandon Bass/Jason Terry/Courtney Lee trio before the deadline to make getting under the luxury-tax threshold his February focus.

The Celtics are nearly $1.5 million over the tax line for this season and on course to exceed it again next season, as well.

4. The truth about J-Smoove

lastname

Smith

The Hawks, according to NBA front-office sources, are indeed making calls, gauging the trade value of their players and assessing their options.

However ...

Unless there's a bona fide star player to be had in exchange, indications persist that the Hawks don't want to do anything that cuts into the considerable cap-space haul they're headed for in July. Because they're going to be right alongside the Dallas Mavericks, sources say, in trying to steal Howard from the Lakers.

Atlanta general manager Danny Ferry, by all accounts, wants to avoid any salary that strays beyond this season unless the talent coming back is irresistible. Another factor: Josh Smith's recent declarations that he sees himself as a max player don't make it any easier to find a trade partner ready to take on the enigmatic swingman in fear of not being able to meet Smith's demands in free agency come July.

I've likewise heard from a couple of teams that have pursued Smith in recent weeks that they've cooled on the idea because the 27-year-old is likewise reluctant to commit to an extension as part of the trade. J-Smoove clearly wants to make it all the way to free agency on July 1 after nine seasons with the Hawks.

Chances are he's going to have that opportunity.

5. The truth about Utah

It's reassuring to hear other teams complain about how hard the Jazz are to read as much as the media gnats like me are in knots trying to figure out whether they plan to trade Al Jefferson or Paul Millsap -- or neither -- this month.

I will say, though, that there's been more chatter recently to back the notion that Jefferson is staying put for the rest of the season. Which is another way of saying that the Jazz, based on the latest forecasts on the personnel grapevine, intend to either trade Millsap or stand pat until the offseason.

6. The truth about the Sacramento (for now) Kings

More clarity on where they'll actually be playing next season is expected two weekends from now when the league's power brokers all migrate to Houston for the All-Star Game and the meetings and madness that surround it. But this isn't the place for Seattle-or-Sacramento stuff anyway.

This is the place to talk about Tyreke Evans, since DeMarcus Cousins remains firmly off-limits while the Kings are in sale limbo, according to NBA front-office sources.

As for Evans? Word is the Grizzlies would have loved to acquire him as part of the big trade that sent Gay away, but the Kings really aren't in a position to take on salary as they await clarification on who'll be buying the team from the Maloof brothers.

A couple of teams consulted have volunteered the notion that Kings GM Geoff Petrie is ready to move Evans, but you have to wonder how much shot-calling Petrie can do at the minute. The greater likelihood is that the Kings don't do anything at this deadline unless it saves money or comes in cash neutral.

7. The truth about the Trail Blazers

Don't look for them to make a trade to try to add a piece that helps out with any sort of second-half playoff run. New Blazers GM Neil Olshey has made that pretty clear.

Indications are that finding another quality guard to join Rookie of the Year favorite Damian Lillard in the Blazers' backcourt is a big-picture priority, but it's not a necessity. Not now.

8. The truth about J.J. Redick

lastname

Redick

The Orlando sharpshooter is the player, with Gay off the board, most teams cite when asked to name a player who will definitely be dealt between now and the deadline.

Our old friend Ric Bucher recently reported that the Magic want draft considerations or a quality young player still on his rookie contract if they're going to part with Redick, which sure sounds like the sort of wish list Magic GM Rob Hennigan would have been schooled to scribble out at Spurs U. and the graduate program in OKC.
    http://espn.go.com/nba/dailydime/_/p...ruths-deadline

vCash
    If I was Hammond I would try Ellis,Gooden,Udoh for Gasol and Meeks and Sacre. Then try and package Moute and Dalembert for a sg yet.

vCash
    we need another sg first before we trade ellis because if we dont have one n we trade him than people ca use that we dont have a 2 to get more out of us and dont want hammond feeling pressured to pull the trigger on just anyone!
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Real quick question, did Bogut used to grimace allot when he played for you guys. He's always grimacing and I don't know if he's in pain or if it's just something he does.

Quote Originally Posted by Monta is beast View Post
    If Currys defense is so bad, why do the warriors have the third best defensive team in the league? Why do opposing point guards have a less than average per of 14.9 when Curry is in the game? Why does curry LEAD the nba with a plus minus of +416.
    Quote Originally Posted by alexander_37 View Post
    You can rattle off all of the stats you want with no context whatsoever. You still said Curry is the 4th best player in the league.
    I guess stats aren't factual when rattled off?

vCash
    post elbow injury we seen him do it alot not as much before he had that nasty fall at least from what ive seen idk if anyone else would say diff!
    This thread right here is why i stay out of the nba main forum on psd lol
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...am-for-melo:D;)

vCash
    Was looking at the old rumor of Raptors wanting Gasol even after the Rudy Gay trade. Was thinking if Lakers still want expiring's and what not. Bucks could get in on this. Not a fan of DeRozan new contract $3,344,250 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 last one is a player option. We all know he's friends with Jennings. When Raptors and Grizzlies were talking trade for Gay. Raptors said SG Ross is off limits. Besides they have Fields on a big contract. One of DeRozan/Fields has to be odd man out eventually. I'd consider Ellis and Dalembert to Lakers and Raptors send us DeRozan. I could see Ellis help Lakers having friend Howard re-sign. Only thing is DeRozan still on cheap yet this season of $3.3M. We probably be stuck taking another bad contract like Bargnani. Andrea Bargnani $10,000,000 $10,750,000 $11,500,000 final year partial guaranteed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MILLERHIGHLIFE View Post
    Was looking at the old rumor of Raptors wanting Gasol even after the Rudy Gay trade. Was thinking if Lakers still want expiring's and what not. Bucks could get in on this. Not a fan of DeRozan new contract $3,344,250 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 $9,500,000 last one is a player option. We all know he's friends with Jennings. When Raptors and Grizzlies were talking trade for Gay. Raptors said SG Ross is off limits. Besides they have Fields on a big contract. One of DeRozan/Fields has to be odd man out eventually. I'd consider Ellis and Dalembert to Lakers and Raptors send us DeRozan. I could see Ellis help Lakers having friend Howard re-sign. Only thing is DeRozan still on cheap yet this season of $3.3M. We probably be stuck taking another bad contract like Bargnani. Andrea Bargnani $10,000,000 $10,750,000 $11,500,000 final year partial guaranteed.
    I wouldn't mind seeing that... DeRozan definitely would be decent to get and would help with more size at sg, and Bargnani isn't that bad he could help us with some more scoring maybe as our starting center or power forward with sanders being either or, and Ersan as our leading player off the bench or our small forward.

vCash
    Ersan is a better bargain than Bargs. He's just as good and is cheaper. I really don't want Bargs on this team. He just takes minutes away from guys who deserve it more. I don't mind Derozan as a player, but I don't think he's really all that great either. I've been waiting for him to break out for a while not and he just hasn't been able to put it together.

Also, Ersan can't play the 3. A starting lineup of Jennings, Derozan, Ersan, Bargs, and Sanders would be downright awful defensively.

vCash
    Are team is down right awful with Skiles out for our D. If we can tuck in Gooden i'm happy with my trade. Or toss in Udoh.

vCash
    To be honest I hate Derozan, I've just never liked his game. To have Jennings and Derozan would be a street wreck in my mind.

I don't think we necessarily need a 2 if we trade Ellis for a big. Udrih and Dunleavy can play 2, and don't forget about lamb.
    Last edited by jay87shot; 02-03-2013 at 07:31 PM.

vCash
    That team wouldn't be competitive in my mind. Ellis is the only legit two we actually have. As much as everyone hates Ellis, he's actually played defense pretty well so far this season. Beno and Dunleavy can't stick with the better guards all day.

I know our defense has been poor this year, especially after Skiles left, but it could get worse. Ellis has played defense much better than anyone could have imagined, but his reputation is that he's a poor defender so everyone assumes he is. We have a lot of poor defenders on this team. I don't think we can afford to put more of them in.

Plus that's a lot of minutes for Beno and Dunleavy. Jennings is going to get in the mid 30s, then Beno will probably have to play close to that amount of minutes too, with Dunleavy probably almost playing that many minutes too. So if anyone gets hurt or in foul trouble, you're pretty much done.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jay87shot View Post
    To be honest I hate Derozan, I've just never liked his game. To have Jennings and Derozan would be a street wreck in my mind.

I don't think we necessarily need a 2 if we trade Ellis for a big. Udrih and Dunleavy can play 2, and don't forget about lamb.
    Gta disagree with you on this one, not only do I think our offense would become much better and more efficient, I also think our D would be much better as well.

Quote Originally Posted by crewfan13 View Post
    That team wouldn't be competitive in my mind. Ellis is the only legit two we actually have. As much as everyone hates Ellis, he's actually played defense pretty well so far this season. Beno and Dunleavy can't stick with the better guards all day.

I know our defense has been poor this year, especially after Skiles left, but it could get worse. Ellis has played defense much better than anyone could have imagined, but his reputation is that he's a poor defender so everyone assumes he is. We have a lot of poor defenders on this team. I don't think we can afford to put more of them in.

Plus that's a lot of minutes for Beno and Dunleavy. Jennings is going to get in the mid 30s, then Beno will probably have to play close to that amount of minutes too, with Dunleavy probably almost playing that many minutes too. So if anyone gets hurt or in foul trouble, you're pretty much done.

You don't think having Derozan at the two wouldb be legit?
    Derozan:

PPG 17.6
    RPG 4.2
    APG 2.3
    SPG 1.0
    BPG 0.4
    FG% 0.438
    FT% 0.837
    3P% 0.282
    MPG 36.8

Ellis:
    PPG 18.6
    RPG 3.7
    APG 5.5
    SPG 1.9
    BPG 0.4
    FG% 0.400
    FT% 0.799
    3P% 0.252
    MPG 36.4

They are almost identical offensively so I don't really understand how anyone can say that this team would be bad on offensively with Derozan. And Monta Ellis hasn't been horrible defensively but he has been particularly good either.

Derozan would be an instant upgrade defensively.
    http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/n...pscf85bcd0.png

vCash

The Trade:

Phoenix Suns Receive: Samuel Dalembert, John Henson, 2014 First-Round Pick (MIL)

Milwaukee Bucks: Marcin Gortat, Sebastian Telfair

This trade is a lot like the previous trade with the Thunder, but with a few different names. Instead of receiving Kendrick Perkins, the Suns get Samuel Dalembert, the 31-year-old veteran center who has lost his starting spot to Larry Sanders in Milwaukee.

Dalembert still has some value, averaging 13.3 points, 11.8 rebounds and 3.2 blocks per 36 minutes while shooting 56 percent from the field. He is making $6.7 million this season, but he is also an expiring contract and it would probably be beneficial to Phoenix to re-sign him to a cheaper deal once his contract is up.

Of course, John Henson is of even more importance to the Suns. The 22-year-old rookie forward was taken just after Kendall Marshall with the 14th pick of the draft, but he has the potential to be a future starting power forward.

With so many forwards currently on the Bucks, Henson is averaging just 13 minutes of play per game, but he averages 6.2 points, 4.3 rebounds and 0.6 blocks in that limited playing time, an indicator that he could produce with more minutes.

The only problem with this trade is figuring out just how Marcin Gortat would fit with the Bucks. Milwaukee is still very weak at power forward and center, but they may have just found their future center in Larry Sanders, who is averaging a ridiculous 4.4 blocks per 36 minutes this season. For this trade to happen, either Gortat or Sanders might need to switch over to power forward, which makes this deal a little more unrealistic.

But a package like this that includes an expiring contract, a prospect and a pick is exactly the type of deal the Suns want for Gortat. It may be a little bit unrealistic, but centers are in high demand and these trades are the only type of scenario in which the Suns should trade Gortat. Otherwise, they can just as easily keep him past the trade deadline.
    http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ld-make/page/6

The usual made up trade coming from Bleacher report.

Page 24 of 67 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast