Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Broken Wings - Can they be fixed?

With all the doom and gloom of some fans, the question is do some of you really think the Wings are broken and if so, what needs to be done to fix them?

Last season - the PP stuck. With the loss of Lidstrom and possibly Holmstrom will it be worse, or will Renney be able to turn it around?

One of the problems I see with the Wings and have for several years is the ability of other teams to enter the zone and cycle in the zone. When this happens the Wings tend to start scrambling around, get out of position, make blind passes, etc. It looks like the proverbial Chinese fire drill which often results in turnovers and scoring opportunities.

Another problem is the fact that other teams tend to smother Datsyuk and Zetterberg. Time after time, I see teams having 2-3 players on both of these guys, which frankly is one of the reasons I think they tend to keep getting injured. These 2 players can't be the hardest workers on their lines night after night. A possible soultion, is to put bigger players, that actually play big, on the top lines, players with some grit on those lines, or put more skill on those lines. I, personally, think the Wings are exploring these options; hence, the signing of Samuelsson - instead of Hudler, the pursuit of Parise, the pursuit of Nash, the signing of Brunner, and trying to figure how to work some of the prospects into the lineup.

vCash
    I do not think the wings are broken. For a while last season we were the best team in the NHL. With the loss of two important players, I think we need to look into replacements. But we are not broken.

vCash
    I think we are getting old and need an influx from our FARM because we are clearly not the top choice for top FA's right now. I think if Smith and Nyquist can become the players many expect and a little more and Brunner turns out to be a better Hudler than we will have an easier time attracting a Top FA in the next couple of off seasons that will take us over the top. I like our bottom lines its our top lines that scare me and obviously our D is most worrying.

Earning Respect with every Withdrawal

vCash
    I wouldn't say "broken", but we're definitely looking at a new method this year. I'm excited to see the development of some of the younger players, hopefully the minor signings won't block them. I honestly expect to be a fringe playoff team this year & hopefully we see the glimmer of a new future star from one of the kids.

vCash
    I wouldn't say it's broken but more of a retooling. The Wings still have talented players like Pavel and Henrik which can carry us into the postseason and if we got hot this team can win it all (see Kings) but the Wings seem to be preparing for now and down the road. I'd rather tread water for a few years until the young guys develop and jump right back into title contention, rather than sign a bunch of guys to long deals and force a major rebuilding process.

Catches: 8 Yards: 80 TDs: 1

vCash
    The Wings still have a lot of talent on their roster. There is no rush to make a trade or signing because of fan disgruntle. Lidstrom is irreplaceable as both a player and a leader. He will be sorely missed. Brad Stuart will hurt too. However, I hope Kindl or Smith can step up and fill Stuart's void. With a defense of Kronwall, White, Ericsson, Quincey, and either Smith or Kindl (or both if the right deal doesn't happen). I can live with that. It will be tough at times but the talent is there. As far as offense, we lost Hudler (which is a good thing) and Holmstrom (assuming he retires). Again, I can live with that. Samuelsson will offset Hudler and Tootoo will be like Holmstrom. If a few of the young guys step up, we will not only be a playoff team but a contender once again. Recently, cbssports.com ranked us the #8 overall team in the league. Keep in mind, I think Holland will make a trade or two to improve this team. So, the wings are not broken by any means.

vCash
    ^^Agree with a lot of that. We are not broken. You cant replace Lidstrom, and I think Q replaces Stuart. Yes Q didnt play well at the end of last year with us, but he was a top pairing top 4 guy for Colorado and excelled. He will be better and play fine. Hudler is gone and good riddance, between Brunner, Sami, Tootoo we will easily get back his 50 pts along with grit and better play. Homer I dont think had a very positive influence on the PP this year, I think he slowed it down, not going to miss his play just gonna miss Homer. Lids is the big loss, but that is where Smith has to show us all what we have been waiting for. If he has 35+ points this season it is a success. I think we make the playoffs in the 4-8 seed. I think in 2-3 years we are back to being a top SC contender while right now we are a contender but need things to go right.

vCash
    I saw this article in the Detroit Free Press and figured it belonged in this thread. I'm pretty sure there will be mixed feelings about the article. I agree with the part about the D.

http://www.freep.com/article/2012072...ws|text|Sports

vCash
    Serious question here...with the offseason losses, are fans in Detroit starting to worry about missing the playoffs? Just trying to get some perspective from the people who root for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Serious question here...with the offseason losses, are fans in Detroit starting to worry about missing the playoffs? Just trying to get some perspective from the people who root for them.
    I definitely am. But I also have lower expectations, not expecting us to go all the way like we used to do. I would just be happy with making the playoffs and our younger guys getting a lot of playing time. I would love to see us win some rounds obviously, but I wouldn't be too upset if we just lost in the first round.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    And there's no shame in banging fat chicks. They're normally down to do anything and theyll build your confidence. Even Mike trout had to tear up the minors before he got called up to the show.

EDIT: do not use tinder to tear up minors, you will go to jail.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Boom! View Post
    Yes. I think we will probably make the playoffs, but I'm definitely not super confident.

My excitement for this season stems from the opportunity to watch guys like Nyquist and Smith, and maybe even a guy like Brunner, more than it comes from the prospect of contending for a cup. But who knows, anything is possible.

vCash
    I do think the Wings are still a playoff team. There are still a lot of talented guys left to just completely fall apart.

I do not think this is a Stanley cup team as constructed right now. Although If they get hot at the end of the season the Wings could win it (see Kings this year).

Catches: 8 Yards: 80 TDs: 1

vCash
    I'm really not sure if we're a playoff team at this point. I want to say "yeah of course we are, u crazy?" but I'm really not confident.

vCash
    So take these broken wings and learn to fly again, learn to live so free...sorry I've been wanting to write this ever since this thread opened.

As it stand right now, I'm not sure if they can go too far in the playoffs. If we shore up the D bit, then I can see 1st round, maybe 2nd. There's gotta be a little tweaking yet.

vCash
    *I want to add that it depends how the young kids develop on the fly, assuming we don't add or trade for anyone else

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast