Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I AM depressed

vCash

I AM depressed

I latched onto the Mets 5 years after the Dodgers skipped town. It has been a long,up and down haul.

But I always told myself that the team, the organization, was trying to become better. I was right a few times .. '69, the early 70's, the mid '80's, the late 90's and 2005 - 2008. Wow. Once a decade.

But I don't sense, I don't see .. a plan to rise up and be big in NYC, big in the major leagues. David could be Cleon, but where's Tommie and Tom and Jerry and Tug and Grote? David could be Rusty .. but again, where is Tom and Jerry and Tug? He could be Keith, but where is Darryl and Doc and Gary and Ronnie and El Cid and Lenny and the rest of those nuts?

David is one of the best I've ever seen. And a lot of the kids are fun to watch and make me think of the old Metsy days -- good everyday players and starting pitchers. But the holes are so deep in this squad and the house culture seems so loser-esque ('we're making money so why rock the boat?') and the holes are so deep in the minors and management seems way conservative in seeking and signing impact kids .. well, the future just seems dim to me.

And I am depressed.

vCash
    You can thank the Wilpons for not having any money this off-season to put a better product on the field.

vCash
    team is on the right track

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    You can thank the Wilpons for not having any money this off-season to put a better product on the field.
    who was out there though that was going to make this team so much better this year?

did you wanna overpay fielder and pujols?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utl768 View Post
    who was out there though that was going to make this team so much better this year?

Josh Willingham? Yoenis Cespedes? Two guys I was on record wanting here, and they are both have great years. I wanted a legit closer, and Nathan was at the top of my list, he's doing great with Texas right now.

Maybe a starting pitcher to improve our depth, if we had some cash, we wouldn't be collapsing right now.

vCash
    Josh Willingham? Yoenis Cespedes? Two guys I was on record wanting here, and they are both have great years. I wanted a legit closer, and Nathan was at the top of my list, he's doing great with Texas right now.

Maybe a starting pitcher to improve our depth, if we had some cash, we wouldn't be collapsing right now.
    it wouldnt have made a huge difference

id rather the young kids get a chance to play

vCash

Having Joe Nathan in our bullpen and Josh Willingham or Cespedes would make a substantial difference.

If everyone just wants the kids to play, well then prepare for subpar seasons year in and year out.

Playing the kids are great...only when they're better than the vets.

And what kid do you wanna see over Nathan? Elvin Ramirez?

Or what, Duda over Willingham?

vCash

Yeah it would.

Willingham: .275/.389/.560 with 23 HR and 68 RBI in a pitchers park
    Cespedes: .299/.358/.530 with 13 HR and 45 RBI in 63 games in a pitchers park

Also I wanted Kelly Shoppach or Ramon Hernandez(funny how the Mets are linked to them now)

That drastically improves our team and offense vs. LHP. Can't play every kid because they aren't all good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZoFkWeeNz View Post
    Having Joe Nathan in our bullpen and Josh Willingham or Cespedes would make a substantial difference.

If everyone just wants the kids to play, well then prepare for subpar seasons year in and year out.

Playing the kids are great...only when they're better than the vets.

And what kid do you wanna see over Nathan? Elvin Ramirez?

Or what, Duda over Willingham?
    going into this season there was little difference between francisco or nathan and duda showed alot of potential last year as a hitter

its easy to sit here on july 23rd and second guess everything with nearly 100 games in the books

now cespedes would have been a nice get considering there was a hole in center and the money was pretty good but besides that i dont have a huge problem with the mets past offseason

vCash

Truth is, the Mets got to where they are right now step by step. No, I don't think they should have been desperately seeking Susan or Fielder or Pujols. They should have been building a team. They didn't. The Wilpons are where they are because of what they have or haven't done. They don't know baseball. They don't know baseball people. They have the team they've built in between making great real estate deals.

They are as savvy as Larry Tisch when he owned CBS. He came in and allowed his Sports division to wildly overpay for major league baseball. When that investment tanked, he figured he'd learned something about the world of TV sports and didn't even re-bid for NFC football. A bunch of big local stations -- Dallas, Atlanta -- dumped out of CBS. Owned stations in NY, Philly, Chi and LA lost a tremendous amount of business. CBS lost a ton of money. But Larry sold out of CBS for a tremendous personal profit. Fabulous.

No one builds a successful team solely via free agency. You gotta have a great home base to start with, then augment with the occasional Frank Robinson or Don Clendenon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnNY62 View Post
    Truth is, the Mets got to where they are right now step by step. No, I don't think they should have been desperately seeking Susan or Fielder or Pujols. They should have been building a team. They didn't. The Wilpons are where they are because of what they have or haven't done. They don't know baseball. They don't know baseball people. They have the team they've built in between making great real estate deals.

They are as savvy as Larry Tisch when he owned CBS. He came in and allowed his Sports division to wildly overpay for major league baseball. When that investment tanked, he figured he'd learned something about the world of TV sports and didn't even re-bid for NFC football. A bunch of big local stations -- Dallas, Atlanta -- dumped out of CBS. Owned stations in NY, Philly, Chi and LA lost a tremendous amount of business. CBS lost a ton of money. But Larry sold out of CBS for a tremendous personal profit. Fabulous.

No one builds a successful team solely via free agency. You gotta have a great home base to start with, then augment with the occasional Frank Robinson or Don Clendenon.
    there making strides in player development

Crossed the Rubicon, let the bridge be burned
    vCash
    When this team rips your heart out, it is quick and painful.
    RIP Paul Kuznetz aka uapeople

I'm all for Bay playing everyday. I don't mind, I understand with the contract situation.

vCash
    at least ever other new york sports team is tearing it up

vCash
    for me watching the mets is like listening to a sports talk show with gary keith and ron. i would rather just look at a wall and listen to them speak than watch the game right now. if it werent for them, i would lose my mind.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetsFanatic19 View Post
    for me watching the mets is like listening to a sports talk show with gary keith and ron. i would rather just look at a wall and listen to them speak than watch the game right now. if it werent for them, i would lose my mind.
    Well put. Well put.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast