EXACTLY what i predicted in the Weber/Philly thread yesterday. Immediately the Rangers panic.
>>>With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.<<<
No, that's not what I want. A 35/36 year old veteran is not bridging the gap. The team has a coach and Brad Richards for that.
Seriously and dripping with sarcasm; what is Doan at 35/36 years old going to bring to the Rangers?
- Will Mark Messier pick him up at the airport only to have Doan ask for his autograph? "We're looking forward to your leadership"?
- We want you to mentor Carl Haglein who will show you around NY being it's 30 times the size of Phoenix and Winnipeg where you spent your career.
- Good news, there is a seminar you're going to attend with Jason Kid about conserving energy over 35 years old
- Here comes Crosby, pulled down by Doan. What's Doan going to say to Hagelin? "There was day I could stay with these guys without pulling them down b/c my legs were younger"
- Doan going to share more hockey stories being he's too old to be traded? "Let me tell you about the times we missed the playoffs by 25 points".
- Maybe Doan can be a cheerleder on the bench during the PP. "Good effort guys, we almost completed enough passes to get in position for shot headed wide of the net. Keep working, I need a break".
Doan at 35/36 is more of a problem than an answer. That is, unless he wants to play for free. I'm not paying for the leadership b/c I expect it from Richards and the Coach.
Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 07-21-2012 at 11:14 AM.
I would give up a lot to get evander kane, anybody not named mcdonagh or kreider is expendable. They really need a young, exciting talented forward with a high cieling, and kane fits that perfectly. He has a good 2 way game, has improved offensively every year and can still get better. Think about it having a core of mcdonagh, kane and kreider all hitting their prime at the same time. pretty scary.
For the right price this would be a great signing.
...for the right price. Don't panic
Another reading comprehension issue I see as I clearly said "dripping with sarcasm".
HE'S 35/36 YEARS OLD so your response is one of the worst responses I have ever read. In case you actually believe the fountain of youth is going to bypass this fella, I have news for you. HE'S 35/36 years old and practically borrowed time.
There isn't a youthful alternative. We've got cap space and we're going to have to do something. Doan can still play. He was all over the ice in the LA series.
Normally you don't want to overpay but you don't want to start the season with a bunch of unused money either. If Sather can structure a 3 year deal that makes him tradable in final season he can shell out a pretty high cap hit.
With practically no FA's, several teams will probably go 4 years, 5.5 on Doan. So, if he's about the money, he won't come here. I say 3 years at 5 million. Then use Dubinsky and Erixon to get Stastny and give Howson the finger on Nash.
But if we were willing to give up this huge haul of players, why not just do it for Nash? If given the choice, you have to go for the proven commodity. Not saying Kane can't do it, or that he is that far off, but Nash is a guy who has been THE marked man on his team, and has shown he is a reliable 30+, even 40 goal scorer. I get the youth factor, but you are then going to give up a lot of players, plus a nice amount of cash to sign a guy that you hope ends up being as good as Nash already is.