Thread: Shane doan

vCash

Shane doan

SHANE DOAN MEETING WITH RANGERS TODAY. LETS GET HIM

http://arizonasports.com/?sid=1560290&nid=132

vCash
    We need to get Shane Doan before he goes somewhere else

vCash
    Im sorry i dont get it...why is everyone clammering for a guy that scored less than 30 goals and is 35 years old. We need a sniper on the powerplay

If more Knicks players had the heart of John Starks, we'd have more rings.

vCash
    anything more than 2 years and over 10M I will be pissed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by teddygreen17 View Post
    Im sorry i dont get it...why is everyone clammering for a guy that scored less than 30 goals and is 35 years old. We need a sniper on the powerplay
    Thank you. I'd like Doan. But he's a secondary piece at this point, regardless of his leadership and intangibles. They've got plenty of that. What they need is more high-level productivity.

vCash
    EXACTLY what i predicted in the Weber/Philly thread yesterday. Immediately the Rangers panic.

>>>With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.<<<

So typical

vCash
    It's like adding a second Ryan Callahan. Cally's stats over the past four seasons don't jump out at you but all the Ranger's fans know how great he really is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    EXACTLY what i predicted in the Weber/Philly thread yesterday. Immediately the Rangers panic.

>>>With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.<<<

So typical
    Rumor is the Pens are the ones who offered him 4years at 7.5 per the fact he didnt jump all over it means more then you think.

He made 4,2 last year and brings leadership and toughness that plays into how we already play as long as its not for a crazy $$ like the Pens offered its a good move if they get him. Now i just dont want it to be the only move we make we still need to add a KEY PLAYER ON O

vCash
    Shane Doan had a strong playoff performance and that enhanced his profile to end the season. However, it is important to recognize that his regular season last year was sub-par. It was his lowest point total since 1998 and there were periodic comments throughout the season that he was slowing down. I think the guy is a bona-fide leader and pro, and I would be excited to see him finish his career with the Rangers. However, I would personally remain realistic and expect nothing more than 50 points and for his age to show at times throughout the season. In today's NHL, unfortunately, that may require a hefty contract, which I am not thrilled about. So, overall, I am indifferent to whether we sign him. I don't have high confidence it brings us closer to a Stanley Cup.

vCash
    I only want doan as a complimentary piece

vCash
    We weren't far off from a cup appearance last year, another 3'd string D and a guy like Doan and Kreider for next year really doesn't bother me at all. I'd take him. The guy is much better than his stats show and anyone who watches him regularily would realize that. Adding him without subtracting anything from this team makes us much better. We'd have three capable lines if we did after Gabby came back and he could move up with Stepan while Gaborik is out. There's very few teams outside of Pitsburgh or L.A that could match up with us line for line after that. IMO we've already made our big deal by adding Kreider for playoffs last year, he got some valuable experience and he'll be good this year. Dubinsky should bounce back, I don't think his play last year is indicative of what we can expect from him next year. If we add 50 points with Doan, add 40-50 with Kreider and Dubi can jump back up another 10 or 15 then we've effectively covered up for Gaborik's absence up to Christmas and after he comes back fresh we'll be flying. Doan is a veteran with great leadership abilities, and can play all aspects of the game and his size and smarts would be welcome on our PP.

Hagelin Richards Gaborik,
    Kreider Stepan Callahan
    Anisimov Dubinsky Doan,
    Pyatt Boyle Halpern

I'd be perfectly comfortable saying we'd be a cup contender if we had that forward lineup or some variation of it and were able to add some help to the bottom pairing on D. This move doesn't cost us any youth, it doesn't cost us any roster players, it just costs us cap space for a couple years.

vCash
    To be honest, everyone saying we "need" a sniper needs to relax. We were the #1 seed in the east and had the 11th most goals in the league. A guy like Doan would be perfect because he's good on the power play, the penalty kill, and is a great two way forward who would fit the system perfectly. We can't just bring in guys that aren't going to fit what our team is trying to do, its not like baseball where you can insert a power hitter in the 4 hole and be effective.

That being said, I'd take Doan as long as his contract is at most 3 years. And then I'd sign evander kane to an offer sheet and either forfeit picks or trade some of the massive depth we have in the minors. kane is gonna be a stud and he'd be amazing with kreider for the next 5-10 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisound15 View Post
    To be honest, everyone saying we "need" a sniper needs to relax. We were the #1 seed in the east and had the 11th most goals in the league. A guy like Doan would be perfect because he's good on the power play, the penalty kill, and is a great two way forward who would fit the system perfectly. We can't just bring in guys that aren't going to fit what our team is trying to do, its not like baseball where you can insert a power hitter in the 4 hole and be effective.

That being said, I'd take Doan as long as his contract is at most 3 years. And then I'd sign evander kane to an offer sheet and either forfeit picks or trade some of the massive depth we have in the minors. kane is gonna be a stud and he'd be amazing with kreider for the next 5-10 years.
    True, yet in the playoffs, the club's goal production dropped more than most other playoff teams, partly because of Gaborik's injury but there were also a number of forwards who did not produce (Hagelin, Anisimov, Stepan, Dubinsky when healthy, Boyle post concussion).

Without adding another bona fide scorer to this lineup, this team does not win a Stanley Cup or even get to the finals. I realize we were close but I think this club played close to its maximum potential as a unit last season and I would not want to "stand still" and hope we find a way to advance --- we need more assets --- Tortorella aptly identified that as more offensive production and defensive depth.

We are close, for sure. Very close. But, in my view, we do need another 60 point type player and a 3rd pairing on defense that can be relied upon to hold its own and chew up minutes when needed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisound15 View Post

Doan would fit, but Nash would too. Maybe not the prototypical guy for what we do, but Nash does enough dirty work to fit IMO, and his size and skill would be exactly what we need. I like Doan, but to me, he is a secondary option, not the grand prize. But I guess if he would be willing to come for a "reasonable" deal, would have to pull the trigger..

I would really like Evander Kane, but the only problem is, how much is he worth? Talented, sure, young, yep, but does he take the next step towards star (or at least almost-star) status? I would think it would take a huge offer to make the Jets let him go, but is he worth that kind of offer? Or worth whatever the Jets would want?

vCash
    Nysports98, you did say they would do that, but isnt that what you want? If you want the kids to develop, they need someone to bridge the gap, so why not bring in a veteran forward who can take weight off their shoulders now and not cost anything but a contract to obtain.

Redfish, I agree with what your saying about last season play and what is needed to advance.

For the stand pat people: They may have been the 1 seed but had trouble with the 8, 7, seed and lost to the 6 seed. While they finished the season as top in the east, how many of their wins did were you at the edge of your seat cause the game was close to being tied. The we didnt have Kreider in the regular season, but they had him in the playoffs and he was one of the top scorers and it still wasnt enough.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast