Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    vCash
    Nick Kypreos of Sportsnet had the details of the contract structure on Monday. Have a look.

#Preds Weber offer sheet from #Flyers. 1st 4 yrs 1M salary+13M sb; yrs 5-6 4M sal+ 8Msb; yrs 7-10 6M sal; year 11 3M sal; last 3 yrs 1M sal

— Nick Kypreos (@RealKyper) July 19, 2012

Gonna be hard to match i think

vCash
    This sucks.

vCash
    We missed out on some good players who were free agents. With Gaborik out until December we have a big gap to fill. I just have this feeling we aren't going to go after Nash because of what the Jacket's want in return. The price is way too high. I think we have some pretty talented prospects that we can throw in there without having to waste a ton of money or take a risk. Just my own opinion.

vCash
    Pronger may not be the Pronger of old but hes the backbone of their defense. Most say Pronger wont be back. Losing Pronger for the Flyers D is similar to the Rangers offense not having Gaborik. If one player doesnt define the team then Rangers should be fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    Pronger may not be the Pronger of old but hes the backbone of their defense. Most say Pronger wont be back. Losing Pronger for the Flyers D is similar to the Rangers offense not having Gaborik. If one player doesnt define the team then Rangers should be fine.

I think you are slightly mistaken Pronger is average at best at this point. He was pretty much on the ice for all the Goals in the Olympics and cant move anymore. He may be a leader but he is not a very good d man anymore

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Isca92 View Post
    NYR2002nyr, . We have agreed that Weber doesn't solve our needs so it could also mean another team that should be out of Nash.

I didn't agreed to that.

One article indicated Weber didn't feel he was a big market team and didn't want to live in Manhattan. Not sure how Philly qualifies as a small market team. Maybe his concerns about playing in NY and his emotions regarding the loss of his friend, Suter, indicate some underlying emotion.

Until proven otherwise, congrats to the Flyers who now have the best defenseman in the conference. All Rangers forwards will skate into the Flyers end with their heads up and try not to get plastered into the boards. Meanwhile, the Flyers have a legit QB on their PP and Rangers players can enjoy blocking 100 mph shots now.

Considering the Rangers track records with obtaining forwards, including Richards "it just wasn't a Richards type year ", I'm thinking many feel Nash is the answer to not only the offensive woes, but the answer for QB on the PP, will teach the other forwards to avoid the front of the Flyers net, skate with their heads up and stay cognizant of the boards b/c 6'4 234lbs beast is hunting them.

Unless Nashville matches the offer, which I doubt they will, the Flyers got the best available player while others are trying to get lesser players with a coupon attached.

B.T.W. - last I checked, the next 10 seasons aren't played from this October to Decemeber so these thoughts of offensive issues would likely have been cleared up with Gaby returning and Kreider playing a full season. Comically, predictions on NESN coming out of Boston is the NHL season will likely begin with the Winter Classic. If that's true, guess what?, the Rangers could be at full strength with no time/games lost.

With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.

One Stanley Cup in 50+ years, what a shocker.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 07-19-2012 at 07:27 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    I didn't agreed to that.

One article indicated Weber didn't feel he was a big market team and didn't want to live in Manhattan. Not sure how Philly qualifies as a small market team. Maybe his concerns about playing in NY and his emotions regarding the loss of his friend, Suter, indicate some underlying emotion.

Until proven otherwise, congrats to the Flyers who now have the best defenseman in the conference. All Rangers forwards will skate into the Flyers end with their heads up and try not to get plastered into the boards. Meanwhile, the Flyers have a legit QB on their PP and Rangers players can enjoy blocking 100 mph shots now.

Considering the Rangers track records with obtaining forwards, including Richards "it just wasn't a Richards type year ", I'm thinking many feel Nash is the answer to not only the offensive woes, but the answer for QB on the PP, will teach the other forwards to avoid the front of the Flyers net, skate with their heads up and stay cognizant of the boards b/c 6'4 234lbs beast is hunting them.

Unless Nashville matches the offer, which I doubt they will, the Flyers got the best available player while others are trying to get lesser players with a coupon attached.

B.T.W. - last I checked, the next 10 seasons aren't played from this October to Decemeber so these thoughts of offensive issues would likely have been cleared up with Gaby returning and Kreider playing a full season. Comically, predictions on NESN coming out of Boston is the NHL season will likely begin with the Winter Classic. If that's true, guess what?, the Rangers could be at full strength with no time/games lost.

With the way the Knicks have accelerated to an old team, I'm sure the Rangers will follow the Garden suit by going hard for a 35/36 Doan for a small fortune while the 26 beast resides in Philly.

One Stanley Cup in 50+ years, what a shocker.
    Congrats to the Flyers? for what making a offer? Nothing is set in stone yet...Its a hard deal for the Preds to match but they almost have to if they want any fans in the building next season they cat afford to lose 3 of the biggest players they have at once

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nyr2002nyr View Post
    Congrats to the Flyers? for what making a offer? Nothing is set in stone yet...Its a hard deal for the Preds to match but they almost have to if they want any fans in the building next season they cat afford to lose 3 of the biggest players they have at once

Perhaps if you would take more time to read posts you wouldn't have so many inaccurate responses based more on defenisve emotion.

vCash
    NYSPORTS98, First what is your stance on offer sheets? I don't agree with them and if you do then you should be up in arms that when Stamkos was a RFA that Sather did not offer him an offer sheet, this size if not bigger so Tampa bay did not have a chance to match it.

Did you read that in a trade they wanted Couturier and Schenn plus, thats the equivalent to asking for Stepan and Kreider plus. I dont disagree with you on Weber's skill. Best defenseman in the league to not win a Norris Trophy or go to a conference final. Until proven better wise, Chara's Norris trophy, Cup ring, and harder shot make him a better defenseman then Weber.

As for the Rangers track record with forwards lets not forget the big contracts they have signed defenseman to and not worked out. So lets look at both sides. Weber also said he didn't want to come here, he sure is in for a shock if he goes to Philly cause their fans are crazier then here.

Last time I checked, the teams forwards carry the weight of point production on cup winning teams. Heres the stats to back it up. Drew Doughty 4 goals, Chara 2 goals (big nasty defenseman with a harder shot), Seabrook 3 goals, Letang 4 goals, Rafalski 4 goals, Boucheman 4 goals (outscored Pronger and Neidemeyer), F. Kaberle 4 goals. Yet all these guys teams won cups and were the leading back end goal scorers.

Defense is not the problem for this team. The forwards are plain and simple. Now its obvious that you want Weber but this team doesn't need him, at the cost to obtain him. It improves a strength while making the forwards weaker. I would offer 4 first round picks for Weber, Id even try to work a 3 way deal that sends Staal to Carolina for pieces that go to Nashville plus picks for Weber. But he didn't want to come here.

I feel that the one cup in 50+ years is a total contradiction to what your feeling. The dynastys since the 80s, have pretty much been teams that have drafted their players. Sure teams have one that have gone out and got a player but the teams that continued to win keep their core and win. When you point to the Devils and defense wins championships, they had more then Stevens on d.

vCash
    In response:

My stance on offer sheets: I believe the first pick compensations are a must and, personally, believe the Avs matching the Rangers offer for Sakic was fantastic for hockey. I believe the fault is simply matching the dollars as opposed to working out a trade including players. Should Sather have made an offer for Stamkos, heck yeah if the cost was money and draft choices although the Rangers weren't sure exactly what they had talent wise as many of these kids got better.

I read the Flyers offer. What's crazy is they actually dictate the restricted free agent as they made an offer, it apparently wasn't accepted, so the offer him a fortune. Now Nashville has to match as opposed to negotiating a deal for players or their own financial deal.

Chara is 35 years old while Weber is 26. Enough said. Bruins fans would gladly take Weber over Chara today.

Like I said, not sure how Philly is a small market team.

Last I checked, the Rangers PP stinks at the point with the forwards getting zero help. Last I checked, the PP is 5 players, not just 3 forwards

Defense IS A PROBLEM FOR THIS TEAM. This illusion this defense is a rock has more to do with the goaltender and blocked shots. Mcilrath was drafted, and a reach, b/c nobody is the system takes the body with enough authority for the opponents forwards to skate with their heads up. None clear out the front of the net and none can QB the PP. The defenseman at the point are as responsible for the PP failures as the forwards.
    50+ years including around 12 years of absolute inept drafting is a fact.

The NHL saved themselves by NOT allowing the Rangers to become the Yankees and buy everybody which is how this whole offer sheet came to be (see Sakic).

I've said many times that I would rather see if some of these forwards become a MDZ and develop overnight. I'd wait for the trade deadline as decent players become available. A player like Weber however, I said he's one you DO pay a ransome for b/c I don't believe his type of player comes around too often.

vCash
    nt - dup

vCash
    nt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYSPORTS98 View Post
    Perhaps if you would take more time to read posts you wouldn't have so many inaccurate responses based more on defenisve emotion.

No emotion at all man. But people are penciling him in for 60 points for the next 14 years on the Flyers like its a done deal set in stone already. I think some are jumping the gun.

vCash
    Last 2 cup winners had awful PP and still managed to win. They scored goals even strength. Their are 5 players on the PP and the top unit which has all the skill has 4 forwards playing it. Yet out of the 13 playoff pp goals 6 were scored by defenseman. When Chicago won they had 3 forwards (Buff was a forward then on the Kane Toews line) score as many pp goals as the whole Ranger team. So yeah its the forwards that need more help then the Defense does.

The team was 6th against in shots against and 3rd in goals against. The team was 20th in shots for and 11th in goals. Girardi (6th), Mcdonagh (11th), Del Zotto (12th) all collected points in Norris Voting, without Staal who was ASG caliber before his injury and came back to form come playoff time. So how are they so bad. Weber did get more votes and lost by a slight margin, lets not make it out like our defenese is say the blue jackets deftense. Just cause there is a better defenseman out there doesnt mean they need to weaken everything else to get slightly better.

If Weber was a UFA yeah spend the money, even though he doesn't want to be here, so he wouldnt want to sign here, but to say that he fills the scoring void. Even if he wanted to come here the trade would include Kreider plus so that makes the offense weaker right there.

I don't understand your Joe Sakic comment, he wasnt the first offer sheet and he wasnt the last. The NHL didn't allow the Rangers from going out and buying everybody by putting in a salary cap. When the Rangers were spending money they weren't winning, they werent even making the playoffs.

Again you bring up this MDZ develop overnight? Please explain how he developed overnight. His rookie season at 18 he had 4 less points then this year. He had an awful sophmore slump that saw him swinging at the puck and making a stretch pass. He was a first round pick for a reason. The only reason he slipped as far as he did is because of the talent drafted ahead of him in his position. Doughty, Schenn, Peitroangelo, Bogosian, Myers, Karlsson, Gardnier, Sbisa. Thats pretty good company as well as Carlson behind him. Its not like he was a 7th round pick that made the team out of nowhere at 18.
    Last edited by Isca92; 07-19-2012 at 10:00 PM.

vCash
    The last 2 cup winner had awful PP and still managed to win while the Rangers had an awful PP and couldn't reach the finals. The team is incompetent at the point on the PP. WHY do you think the Rangers were trying to trade for Weber if their defense is fine??????? If the Rangers add a forward, guess what?, the PP will still have issues b/c the defenseman don't scare anybody. A better offensive weapon at the point would raise the whole level of the forwards and defense.

Again, WHY do you think the Rangers were trying to trade for Weber if their defense is fine???????

Never said to include Kreider in a trade, you just did and the Flyers will end up giving up picks as compensation and not players (in case rumors are false). I've repeated continually what Weber brings to the table. We'll see it for the next decade against the Rangers so those who didn't want him, got their wish. Comically, it appears he signed with Philly b/c he didn't want to play in Manhattan and NOT b/c the Rangers didn't want him. (boarderline NEED him)

I brought up Joe Sakic b/c the deal was widely known as the most significant move over the past 20 years for hockey. " How Joe Sakic Helped Change the Hockey Business" http://slapshot.blogs.nytimes.com/20...ckey-business/ The five first rounders would have been compensation for players under 30 years old which is why the Rangers continually signed players over 30 years old for nearly a decade. The cap was put in place NOT so the Rangers would buy everybody but to control their spending which would have skewed all salaries across the board and bankrupted over half the league. The loop hole was discovered when the Isles signed DiPietro for over 10 years.

MDZ - compare this past year to one year earlier. I'm hoping these other Rangers forwards develop overnight (sry, 6-8 months like MDZ just diid

Bottom line; the Rangers DID try for Weber during a time in which some believe they should be trying for a forward b/c the defense is fine. It appears the Rangers were more in line with my thinking as they tried for Weber yet were locked out when Philly made the contract offer and Weber signed it.
    Last edited by NYSPORTS98; 07-20-2012 at 07:24 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast