Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Utter disbelief...never in a million years did I think they would sign him to an offer sheet. Definitely a high risk manuever because you gotta think Nashville will do everything in their power to match this offer. Those 4 1st rd picks won't look so great to Nashville when the Flyers are perenial Stanley Cup contenders.

vCash
    So sad i basically know nothing about hockey , i only watch the Playoffs ... But from what i know isnt this guy like a super beast? or am i way off? .... And if he is? why is everyone talking like this is a bad thing?... Dont we need him?
    Eagles Did Win a Championship, it just was not the Superbowl , we beat Lombardi's Packers

vCash
    I didn't find any verbage that gives Weber an out after one year. The only thing I saw is that he CANNOT be traded for an entire year...meaning if Nashville matches they can't trade him for the entire season......

apparently the Flyers frontloaded the deal to the point where they feel that Nashville can't come up with the immediate cash on the front end...........supposedly they got tired of waiting on the deadlines while trying to trade for him so they are forcing the hand of Nashville to do something...

Regardless of how this works out it seems that Homer caught the NHL sleeping on this one....or at least any GM who was thinking about taking a run at Weber here....bold move by Homer.

vCash
    Well if they structured it in a way that it is rumored to be, that being 25+ million in bonuses paid out by July 1, 2013, then yes they have effectively given Nashville a helluva pill to swallow as that amounts to roughly 15%-20% of the franchises net worth. Poison pill or not Nashville is dooming their franchise if they don't match this offer.

vCash
    It's a savvy deal done by Homer...I'm just wondering why 14 years? That means we'll have Weber until he's 40-41 years old....He's a helluva defenseman but if he plays that long a $7.15 million dollar defenseman is alot to pay for? Why not 10 years $72 million? We had Pronger locked up until he was in his 40's and we see how that worked out for us....Or would the new CBA be structured that the players cap hit is their ACTUAL salary for the year instead of AAV...

Still not hearing anything about Voracek and a new possible deal...has me a little concerned....

Also...that would give us 8 defenseman....Timonen, Coburn, Grossman, Schenn, Mez, Webs, Gervais, Lilja....who goes? Does this open up a Bobby Ryan deal involving Mez & Voracek?

vCash
    Look at the top tier defenseman in webers category through the years...they play at high levels into their forties. Pronged had a very VERY freak unfortunate injury.

Just to list a few names

Lidstrom, chelios, Paul coffey

Chara will play into his 40s

Not uncommon.

vCash
    No this is legit.... 4 - 1st rounders Nashville will get from us if they dont agree.

I think you guys are all missing out on the big picture here. We just became the "ARSEHOLES" of the NHL. We became that team that goes after someones "RFA" We just said .... HEY NHL!!! When Claude Giroux becomes a RFA in 2015 offer him a silly contract that WE NOW HAVE TO MATCH... or lets just say that same year that GIROUX / SCHENN / COUTS become RFA's... I think its silly and your setting yourself up for someone or some organization to do the same thing to you.

I mean lets be honest here though I think this now says we know pretty much for a FACT that Pronger isnt coming back now. We all suspected but this pretty much confirms that. And Shea Weber...SHEA freaking WEBER are you kidding me...wow to say I'm super excited but also super nervous is an understatement.

But still you're breaking the golden rule... so does a team go after Voracek now?

And the comment about 40 year olds. Please dmen are different then wingers / centers. Its common for Dmen and Goalies to play excess of that. In fact some of the best one out their are right around that limit.
    Last edited by fanofphilly; 07-19-2012 at 08:02 AM.

Check out our website for Philly Sports .
    Or PM me if you ever need a WEBSITE of course that will cost ya.

vCash
    Paul Holmgren has some balls to do that. Such a risk.

No matter what happens, love this guy

Dont know if someone else mentioned this, but Philly and Nashville have a good relationship. Philly wouldnt just do this as a surprise. I'm thinking Weber signs it, and its already agreed that Timonen and maybe even Mezaros get traded to Nashville for VERY cheap afterwards. Or as a package for his rights, obviously, instead of the 4 1sts
    Last edited by Randall Stevens; 07-19-2012 at 08:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    No this is legit.... 4 - 1st rounders Nashville will get from us if they dont agree.

I think you guys are all missing out on the big picture here. We just became the "ARSEHOLES" of the NHL. We became that team that goes after someones "RFA" We just said .... HEY NHL!!! When Claude Giroux becomes a RFA in 2015 offer him a silly contract that WE NOW HAVE TO MATCH... or lets just say that same year that GIROUX / SCHENN / COUTS become RFA's... I think its silly and your setting yourself up for someone or some organization to do the same thing to you.

I mean lets be honest here though I think this now says we know pretty much for a FACT that Pronger isnt coming back now. We all suspected but this pretty much confirms that. And Shea Weber...SHEA freaking WEBER are you kidding me...wow to say I'm super excited but also super nervous is an understatement.

But still you're breaking the golden rule... so does a team go after Voracek now?

And the comment about 40 year olds. Please dmen are different then wingers / centers. Its common for Dmen and Goalies to play excess of that. In fact some of the best one out their are right around that limit.
    thanks for giving me nightmares :cry:

but I believe Homer will sign them before their summer of RFA. Homer always signs the guys he likes before their contract is up in the mid-season,

vCash
    Never thought about teams going after our RFA's....Homer better watch his back....Giroux could be stolen out from under us....good thing we have an extra $6 million comin off the books next season...

vCash
    i dont think we have to worry about giroux i dont think he woould ever get to be a RFA i think we would lock him up before he got to that point but ya never know

Sports fans check out my website www.teamtakeum.com NFL ATS picks posted here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyBronco08 View Post
    i dont think we have to worry about giroux i dont think he woould ever get to be a RFA i think we would lock him up before he got to that point but ya never know
    bingo. Richards, Carter, JVR, Coburn, Grossmann, all signed during the season to avoid RFA.

Leino, Jagr, Carle, etc etc, they didnt really want badly so they didnt bother to sign during the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MMC1710 View Post
    Never thought about teams going after our RFA's....Homer better watch his back....Giroux could be stolen out from under us....good thing we have an extra $6 million comin off the books next season...
    only way to solve that is to sign him now ... 7.5 million a year gets it done...

if the new CBA gets the 10 year to FA clause ... we basically never have to worry about giroux b/c he wont be a UFA until he is 30 ...

new CBA is looking good if we can keep Weber ...

very very happy ... this only will cost us 4 first round picks ... i'd even throw in 2 more if they just walked away and didn't try to match

bigggg smiles

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 3iverson3 View Post
    If we do end up with Weber I wonder how we will be able to retain some of our young guys that will demand contracts???
    Go look in the offseason thread. I posted something in there on somewhere around page 73 or something. This would be a lot less money than we thought he was going to cost too.

vCash
    I am trying to stay reserved here.

But I just have a feeling this is gonna drag out all week only for Nashville to match and become yet another disappointing moment for the Flyers. I hope I am wrong and Weber's in Orange in a week...

Page 2 of 45 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast