Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Another thing: Nashville paid 52 million for their ENTIRE roster last year. You're going to pay Weber 26 million? How can they afford that? Nash wanted to pay Weber 4.75 million in arbitration last year.

Homer is a genius.

This is why I watch soccer.

vCash
    If we traded Voracek and Mez and a 1st we could still get Ryan too :P

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Ninja View Post
    Another thing: Nashville paid 52 million for their ENTIRE roster last year. You're going to pay Weber 26 million? How can they afford that? Nash wanted to pay Weber 4.75 million in arbitration last year.

Homer is a genius.
    28 million*

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Would we even have a 1st to trade?

Happy Summer 2014. Welcome it in with half an hour of awesome, courtesy of yours truly - Patrick Montgomery - and my new EDM megamix, Why You Heff to Bang Mad?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Why does everyone think that is a better trade for us? We have few good prospects and yeah we have a young team that will eventually needed new contracts, hence the need for that first, also, Voracek is 22 and I think has a 70-80 point year with Claude this year especially if we get weber to sure up the back end even more. Now my thing with mez is why get rid of a guy who played great all year until he was hurt? Especially with Kimmo breaking down and getting older and a possible retirement next year, I keep him. No trades with or without weber, with the exception of bourdon who I believe would be the odd man out with gervais and Lilja here already and him not being waiver free, get a mid range pick maybe like 4-5
    Last edited by Giroux 4 MVP; 07-19-2012 at 10:59 PM.

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Giroux 4 MVP View Post
    Why does everyone think that is a better trade for us? We have few good prospects and yeah we have a young team that will eventually needed new contracts, hence the need for that first, also, Voracek is 22 and I think has a 70-80 point year with Claude this year especially if we get weber to sure up the back end even more. Now my thing with mez is why get rid of a guy who played great all year until he was hurt? Especially with Kimmo breaking down and getting older and a possible retirement next year, I keep him. No trades with or without weber, with the exception of bourdon who I believe would be the odd man out with gervais and Lilja here already and him not being waiver free, get a mid range pick maybe like 4-5
    If we get Weber this is a no brainer to me. (btw change that 1st to a couple 2nds or something). It is pretty much Voracek for Ryan straight up since mez becomes a cap space relief at that point. It would be the perfect move. Btw, I'm seeing rumors of Doan receiving an offer from Philly too.

vCash
    I would rather see Danny b moved then Voracek, especially if we offered to Doan. And how is it a no brainer? You essentially are banking that Luke schenn doesn't play like he did last year and Bruno gervais doesn't play like a mental patient, I'm telling you if we keep mez we have a much easier time getting to the cup and winning it, I say no mez, it becomes much more challenging especially with the alway inconsistent Russian in net and a a pathogenic lier behind him
    Last edited by Giroux 4 MVP; 07-19-2012 at 11:20 PM.

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpectrumDweller View Post
    I've read everything I possibly could today about this offer sheet. I've listened to analysis from Nashville journalists, Jeremy Roenick, Darren Dreger, Weber's agent, Scott Burnside, and others. To me, something does not add up for a few reasons.....

1) Shea Weber's agent said he visited a handfull of teams and determined that he wanted to be a Flyer. If this is the case, and he didn't want to go back to Nashville, why wouldn't he just sign a one year tender with Nashville and then come to the Flyers as a UFA next offseason?

2) If Paul Holmgren new that Shea Weber wanted to come here, why not just wait until next offseason when we could get him as a UFA? We wouldn't have to give up picks or players to get him.

3) If Weber wants to stay in Nashville, why not just tell Dave Poile that he has received a 14 year/$110 million offer sheet, and that he will sign it unless he is given a similar contract by the Predators?

4) If the Predators have said all along that they would match any offer sheet, why not just say that again today? They said that they have previously intended to match any offer sheet. With offer sheet in hand, they did not say they would match it.

All of this leads me to believe that the Flyers already know that they have Weber and they are just trying to come up with the compensation with the Predators. I don't believe Holmgren would mess around with this one. He knows that our team is not better than they were at the end of the season, and we need to keep moving forward.

answer is simple: new CBA. the new CBA is talking about cutting max contracts down to 5 years. therefore, Weber would NEVER see the kind of money the Flyers have offered him. this is his best and last opportunity to make some serious money AND go to a perennial playoff team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    answer is simple: new CBA. the new CBA is talking about cutting max contracts down to 5 years. therefore, Weber would NEVER see the kind of money the Flyers have offered him. this is his best and last opportunity to make some serious money AND go to a perennial playoff team.
    I'm tired of a perennial playoff team, we have had that for many years

FLYERS/EAGLES

vCash
    The win here isn't any of this. Homer took Weber out of play for the rest of his career. No matter what happens here, Weber won't be going to any eastern rival, ever. You can bet that there are trade restrictions built in.

It's the perfect move.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sev66 View Post
    Last night we were talking about not gutting our team for Weber, and then this news hits today. If it works out, and I think it is, then we are going to send some players back to Nashville for a few picks back. They dont really need Vorachek or Read, if they did a deal would have already been made. At this point they are going to need Dman and by adding Weber we will have 9 Dman. If we are to send anything back, I think it will be Gus, MAB, and Mez. This will free up over 4 million to sign Vorachek. After that happens I think Vorachek and the other 2 pks are going to the Ducks for Ryan. If Vorachek is included in the deal for Weber, then Mez is money will be used to try to acquire Doan.

Just some scenero's I have been thinking about, since the news broke late last night.

As for what we did is Unfair, Weber was going to get paid, Nashville knew it and did nothing about it. They had a whole year to re up Suter and Weber and knew they couldn't afford to, so they should have traded them when they had the chance. Sports is a buisness and to be profitable you need to win, and give youself the best chance to win. Also honesty goes a long way with your fan base.
    I dont think trading them would have been the right move, they have an obscene number of 1st round picks in the next few years and had a legit shot at the cup. You gotta take that run at the cup, if you get it both guys are still wearing yellow.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post
    The win here isn't any of this. Homer took Weber out of play for the rest of his career. No matter what happens here, Weber won't be going to any eastern rival, ever. You can bet that there are trade restrictions built in.

It's the perfect move.
    That's not neccessarily true. The Preds could match the offer and then trade him after one calendar year. Now I do not think its highly likley that Nashville matches, waits a year, hopes Weber doesn't get hurt, pays him $27M and then trades him. However, a day ago I did not think it was likely that any team would offer sheet Weber.

I'm not suggesting this was a bad move or not smart on the part of the Flyers...it does hinder another rival team from getting Weber in the future and certainly stops anyone else besides them and the Preds from having this year. but we cant say never. Even if there are trade restrictions (which i saw one report which said there are not) Weber could always waive.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace23 View Post

It's the perfect move.
    well.....not entirely true, Ace.

yeah, there will be trade restrictions built in. technically a NTC is not allowed to be placed in an OS, but there are guidelines to follow in order to put, as you say, restrictions in the deal.

that being said, if he stays in NSH, he could always request/demand a trade at some point, and that team could end up being in the East. he did visit the Rangers along with the Wings and Flyers over the past few weeks before he signed an OS, so there was some interest at least in the NYR on his part.

i'm sure NSH could move him at some point if he ends up going back there.

what this does do for sure, is ensure that he either ends up in Philly or NSH for the next calendar year.

vCash
    This whole situation is wild because it's a unique scenario where this is huge risk on all three sides at the same time.....

The Flyers obviously risking all the things that can go wrong with a deal that long.....injury, age with some declining performance that can make your cap messy...

The Preds risking whether a team in their financial situation can afford him.....in other words is it smart to potentially cripple their franchise on the premise they need Weber that badly to survive....is it more symbolic to keep Weber or is it smart?

Weber for guessing this could be his last chance for that kind of money. Now in a perfect world he'd get a big 5 year deal, play well during that time and earn one more big 5 year deal anyway which would certainly put him in the neighborhood of the deal we're offering now. Right now it would seem he's guessing that he wants the guaranteed money for that length, which I don't think anyone could blame him for......but by signing this offer to me he's doing it banking on the fact that Nashville just wouldn't be able to match. It would be no secret that the top guys always prefer to play in the big market hockey towns......so I'd say his ideal is to get a deal this size and do it in a big market city where they know the team will always do what's necessary to build a top team.

The only downside isn't really all that bad...worst case he stays in Nashville for his career and is filthy rich.......but you still have to think that his IDEAL would be to make that money in Philly. So I'd say he's still taking a pretty good leap of faith that Nashville won't match it.....

vCash
    Dreger was in WIP...basically said that Nashville, in all likelihood will match and they won't wait the 7 days
    Last edited by Dark Donnie; 07-20-2012 at 08:40 AM.

Page 13 of 45 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast