Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Deasr1 View Post
    I don't see Weber playing in the orange and black. 2 all star dmen in a matter of weeks. Nope. Not buying it. Poile needs to keep his job. Homer is helping his friend.
    If we end up shooting over Gus, Mez, Read/voracek to them as part of the compensation then he might actually be helping his friend.

vCash
    Honestly, either way Nashville was not getting to keep Weber.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    Honestly, either way Nashville was not getting to keep Weber.
    bingo.

he's was most likely gonna leave Nashville anyway. I am sure the reason for the delay is Homer talking to Poile about a post-Weber trade. If Poile likes what he hears and its beneficial to his organization and their current predicament, then I say Weber is a Flyer.

vCash
    How does signing Weber to an offer sheet affect the Flyers cap space? Assuming the Preds don't match, we lose 4 1st rd picks but what is our cap situation then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikes_Fan_TC View Post
    How does signing Weber to an offer sheet affect the Flyers cap space? Assuming the Preds don't match, we lose 4 1st rd picks but what is our cap situation then?
    basically it puts the team right up against the cap. that's WITHOUT including Pronger's LTIR money. we'd have to send say Schenn and Gus down for a game, most likely waive Shelley (which was probably in the cards anyway) to make room for Weber and Voracek whenever he signs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Vikes_Fan_TC View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by phillyeaglesman View Post
    basically it puts the team right up against the cap. that's WITHOUT including Pronger's LTIR money. we'd have to send say Schenn and Gus down for a game, most likely waive Shelley (which was probably in the cards anyway) to make room for Weber and Voracek whenever he signs.
    yea as it stands, roughly $0 in space. Voraceks signing would rely on the Pronger relief, which would work out pretty much perfect

hopefully the new CBA has some kind of amnesty or modified retirement clause to assist in situations like the Flyers have had with Pronger, Lappy, and Betts over the past few seasons. It's a stupid situation that shouldnt exist.

vCash
    money wise. let's say we land Weber. will we have the dough to support a Ryan trade as well? granted the salaries we send that way may not total what Ryan is promised annually.

vCash
    I still refuse to believe Weber will end up in a Flyers uniform. I just can't see it being this easy. Plus if we really did force Nashville into a position where they literally can't afford to pay him next year and early on in the contract the Philadelphia Flyers have without a doubt in my mind killed the Nashville Predators organization. And with the CBA expiring in September a organization like the Flyers doing that to a small team, albeit a successful one, will not make many other owners happy.

vCash
    Imagine the disappointment if nash matches. I might cry.

vCash
    wow i dont know...i have this gut feeling he will be here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofphilly View Post
    wow i dont know...i have this gut feeling he will be here
    This.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_ditchdigger View Post
    money wise. let's say we land Weber. will we have the dough to support a Ryan trade as well? granted the salaries we send that way may not total what Ryan is promised annually.

i think Weber signing puts an end to the Bobby Ryan rumors. at that point it would basically turn into an NBA-type trade where they'd have to match salaries.

i guess something like what I and others have said:

Meszaros, Read, and a 1st

would clear enough space to bring in Bobby Ryan.

but i would think for all intents and purposes that if the Flyers were to come up with Weber, that would effectively end their off-season shopping.

Quote Originally Posted by iInsulin View Post
    I still refuse to believe Weber will end up in a Flyers uniform. I just can't see it being this easy. Plus if we really did force Nashville into a position where they literally can't afford to pay him next year and early on in the contract the Philadelphia Flyers have without a doubt in my mind killed the Nashville Predators organization. And with the CBA expiring in September a organization like the Flyers doing that to a small team, albeit a successful one, will not make many other owners happy.

i agree and disagree. yes, it would be a MONUMENTAL blow to NSH as an organization. however, a lot of this truthfully has to be put on them as an organization. as a small market team, you have to prepare for things like this. you have to know that you just simply will not be able to afford to keep certain players, whether it be for monetary reasons or because you aren't considered a contender. this means you have to draft well, you have to be smart in your FA pick-ups, and you need to be smart when dealing with situations like with Suter and Weber.

as for NSH, they have drafted well, and they have been smart in FA additions. they've done a great job of building their franchise from the bottom up.

would this be a big blow? as i said, absolutely. however, to say it will end their franchise is a bit drastic. for the first 6 seasons of their franchise's history, the highest they finished was 10th in the West. it wasn't until Weber was a rookie that they really took off, and Weber barely played that season (28 games, 10 points). in fact, Suter had a bigger impact on that team than Weber; not by much (71 games, 16 points), but he was with the team the entire season, whereas Weber was a call-up.

now my point takes a hit with the fact that NSH hasn't had a profitable season since 2008. so even with all those great teams they've had in that time, they haven't been profitable.

even so, i still believe the Preds can survive this. Bettman and the NHL will do everything they can to keep the franchise and help them if needed. and, there's still a chance the Flyers and Preds work something out where one or two of those 1st round picks come back in exchange for some players. they won't be Schenn or Couts or G, but they'll be players the Flyers will be ok with parting with and the Preds can use to fill holes.

regardless, the Preds will be worse than they were last season. again, this falls primarily on their inability to lock these guys up or trade them before-hand. whether you feel sorry for them or not, you have to recognize that as well. hopefully this can be a learning experience for them, whether they retain Weber or not, and they can be smarter in their decisions in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by allphillyman359 View Post
    Imagine the disappointment if nash matches. I might cry.

look you really can't take that out of the realm of possibility. it's highly likely they match. can't get your hopes up too much with an offer sheet. success rate isn't very high.

you just have to look at it as a savvy, wise business decision on Holmgren's part. either way, the Flyers really can't lose in this situation, given the terms of this deal.

vCash
    Holmgren is the best GM in this city....hands down! He's seeing things most people don't see and he's possibly stopping rivals from taking advantage in the future with these ballsy moves...

vCash
    I've read everything I possibly could today about this offer sheet. I've listened to analysis from Nashville journalists, Jeremy Roenick, Darren Dreger, Weber's agent, Scott Burnside, and others. To me, something does not add up for a few reasons.....

1) Shea Weber's agent said he visited a handfull of teams and determined that he wanted to be a Flyer. If this is the case, and he didn't want to go back to Nashville, why wouldn't he just sign a one year tender with Nashville and then come to the Flyers as a UFA next offseason?

2) If Paul Holmgren new that Shea Weber wanted to come here, why not just wait until next offseason when we could get him as a UFA? We wouldn't have to give up picks or players to get him.

3) If Weber wants to stay in Nashville, why not just tell Dave Poile that he has received a 14 year/$110 million offer sheet, and that he will sign it unless he is given a similar contract by the Predators?

4) If the Predators have said all along that they would match any offer sheet, why not just say that again today? They said that they have previously intended to match any offer sheet. With offer sheet in hand, they did not say they would match it.

All of this leads me to believe that the Flyers already know that they have Weber and they are just trying to come up with the compensation with the Predators. I don't believe Holmgren would mess around with this one. He knows that our team is not better than they were at the end of the season, and we need to keep moving forward.

vCash
    Last night we were talking about not gutting our team for Weber, and then this news hits today. If it works out, and I think it is, then we are going to send some players back to Nashville for a few picks back. They dont really need Vorachek or Read, if they did a deal would have already been made. At this point they are going to need Dman and by adding Weber we will have 9 Dman. If we are to send anything back, I think it will be Gus, MAB, and Mez. This will free up over 4 million to sign Vorachek. After that happens I think Vorachek and the other 2 pks are going to the Ducks for Ryan. If Vorachek is included in the deal for Weber, then Mez is money will be used to try to acquire Doan.

Just some scenero's I have been thinking about, since the news broke late last night.

As for what we did is Unfair, Weber was going to get paid, Nashville knew it and did nothing about it. They had a whole year to re up Suter and Weber and knew they couldn't afford to, so they should have traded them when they had the chance. Sports is a buisness and to be profitable you need to win, and give youself the best chance to win. Also honesty goes a long way with your fan base.

Page 12 of 45 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast