Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast
    vCash

Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet!

"@DarrenDreger: Breaking: Shea Weber agrees to offer sheet with PHI. 14 years, upwards of $100 mil. Preds have 7 days to match."

BREAKING NEWS EH?! Let's see what happens going forward but holy **** if this works out.
    Last edited by girouxxx28; 07-19-2012 at 01:02 AM.

vCash
    Wow! I am, however, a bit confused about the timing of this. Clearly, the Flyers desperately want Weber. Just by looking at the years and money, Poile would clearly match this. If the Flyers believed that Nashville would match the offer, they would not have offered it. They would have been happy to let the season play out and go after him as an unrestricted free agent. I have a feeling that there is some sort of back door deal going on where the Predators told him to go find an offer sheet and they would take back the draft pick compensation. If not, this is a dumb move by the Flyers. If the Predators match, there is no way he is ever in orange and black.

vCash
    I just don't see how the Preds don't match it...If I were them, I would even wait until the last possible minute to match the offer to be a dick...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LLMunchie619 View Post
    I just don't see how the Preds don't match it...If I were them, I would even wait until the last possible minute to match the offer to be a dick...
    I can. However, what happens?

Does Shea Weber claim to sit out for the year?
    If so, can Nashville suspend him to where he's not eligible to be anywhere else next season either?

I could see a few things happening.

1. Nashville and Philadelphia working out a trade that involves the Predators not matching. This is likely to include Sean Couturier or Brayden Schenn. Either one will be the centerpiece. There will be additions on top of that too.

2. Nashville matches and Shea Weber claims to have wanted to stay in Nashville.

vCash
    Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

All I wanted was to sign Voracek and play out the year until he was a UFA next summer. If Weber was going to be traded at the deadline maybe it wouldn't cost Couturier or Schenn, or maybe Nashville surprises everybody like they do every year and manage to win with what they have and we could just sign him straight up.

So upset. I just don't see any possible way Shea Weber officially becomes a Philadelphia Flyer.

vCash
    I heard there are 4 picks involved???

We got so many first round talents (Couts, Voracek, Schenn) that maybe Homer thinks its enough?!?!

vCash
    If we do end up with Weber I wonder how we will be able to retain some of our young guys that will demand contracts???

vCash
    I think you guys are confused, from what I remember a out the terms of an offer sheet this is almost a win win for the Flyers. If Nashville matches the offer they are only going to have Weber for next year. Which means they are responsible to pay him the guaranteed money and first year salary the Flyers are offering, with no guarantee that he will sign back with them after he becomes a UFA after next season. It's almost foolish for Nashville to match the offer. As part of the terms of an offer sheet if Nashville matches it they CAN NOT trade him next season which means he can walk as a UFA next year. This is why OS are seen as a "bad practice" through out the NHL. The Flyers will most likely get Weber without giving up any of their young talent, they only thing they will be giving up is their 1st round picks for the next 4 years. I think this is a great move by Homer!!! Get Weber without giving up anyone. So there is no backdoor trade going on, with the acceptance of the OS by Weber if Nashville decides to match it they lose the ability to trade him next year, so worse case scenario Nashville matches the offer sheet and Philadelphia can make a run at Weber at the end of next season as a UFA, love this move by Homer. Might be frowned upon by other GM's but it makes Homer look like a genius!!! Hopefully next week we will be saying "Welcome to Philly Shea"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Green View Post
    I think you guys are confused, from what I remember a out the terms of an offer sheet this is almost a win win for the Flyers. If Nashville matches the offer they are only going to have Weber for next year. Which means they are responsible to pay him the guaranteed money and first year salary the Flyers are offering, with no guarantee that he will sign back with them after he becomes a UFA after next season. It's almost foolish for Nashville to match the offer. As part of the terms of an offer sheet if Nashville matches it they CAN NOT trade him next season which means he can walk as a UFA next year. This is why OS are seen as a "bad practice" through out the NHL. The Flyers will most likely get Weber without giving up any of their young talent, they only thing they will be giving up is their 1st round picks for the next 4 years. I think this is a great move by Homer!!! Get Weber without giving up anyone. So there is no backdoor trade going on, with the acceptance of the OS by Weber if Nashville decides to match it they lose the ability to trade him next year, so worse case scenario Nashville matches the offer sheet and Philadelphia can make a run at Weber at the end of next season as a UFA, love this move by Homer. Might be frowned upon by other GM's but it makes Homer look like a genius!!! Hopefully next week we will be saying "Welcome to Philly Shea"
    Glad I only had to read a couple lines in. You aren't remembering correctly. If Nashville matches, the only change in the signed contract is the team name from Philadelphia to Nashville.

He woulda been ****ed in Washington...
    Update: Turns out he was ****ed in Kansas City too

Flyers PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2009
    Phillies PSD Hall of Fame Class of 2010

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theLgndKllr35 View Post
    Glad I only had to read a couple lines in. You aren't remembering correctly. If Nashville matches, the only change in the signed contract is the team name from Philadelphia to Nashville.
    You better check on that, everything that I've read states that if Nashville matches the OS they are responsible for the years and compensation of that OS drafted up by the Flyers, BUT Weber has the option to opt out and become a UFA at the end of next season. It's a high risk for Nashville match the OS without a garaunteed verbal agreement that Weber will sign back with Nashville at the end of next season.

vCash
    BOIOIOIOIOIOIOINNNNNNGGGGGG!!!!!!!
    I fell asleep on the couch around 10, woke up and read this several times in my FB feed from different news sources before I decided I wasn't still dreaming. My birthday was Sunday Homer, I'm glad you didn't forget about me bro

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Orange&Green View Post
    You better check on that, everything that I've read states that if Nashville matches the OS they are responsible for the years and compensation of that OS drafted up by the Flyers, BUT Weber has the option to opt out and become a UFA at the end of next season. It's a high risk for Nashville match the OS without a garaunteed verbal agreement that Weber will sign back with Nashville at the end of next season.
    Someone is feeding you false information

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by iInsulin View Post
    Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it.

All I wanted was to sign Voracek and play out the year until he was a UFA next summer. If Weber was going to be traded at the deadline maybe it wouldn't cost Couturier or Schenn, or maybe Nashville surprises everybody like they do every year and manage to win with what they have and we could just sign him straight up.

So upset. I just don't see any possible way Shea Weber officially becomes a Philadelphia Flyer.
    At the deadline it would still cost Couturier or Schenn, we are talking about the best defenseman in the NHL

City of Brotherly Love

vCash
    what if the contract has a no trade clause? Then if he wants out (to Philly) then the trade value would go down...

vCash
    Interesting.....this is the last option I saw happening in this situation. I"m wondering what the difference is from last season though......we were supposedly in on Stamkos then and never made an offer sheet on him under the premise that Tampa would just match it....Nashville should be in the same situation you would think....so wondering what is different to Homer on the thought process of going with the offer sheet......

SHould be an interesting week ahead though!!

Page 1 of 45 12311 ... LastLast