Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Gagner...RFA payback?

Here's a thought. What if the Sabres' made an offer to Sam Gagner, RFA center with Edmonton. I am not sure how much we should offer him, but go a little bit more than what he is worth and make Edmonton pay it or we give up a draft pick or two as compensation.

Payback for the Vanek offer sheet a few years back! And another young center with potential. I just don't know if Darcy has the guts (or administrative approval) to do such a thing. I would love to see it.

vCash
    I'm not opposed... but... I wouldn't want to give up any first round picks for him.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    This is the Compensation key. If we sign a RFA for the followong contracts, this is what we would loose out on.

$1,034,249 or below: No compensation

$1,034,249 -- $1,567,043: Third-round pick

$1,567,043 -- $3,134,055: Second-round pick

$3,134,088 -- $4,701,131: First and third-round pick

$4,701,131 -- $6,268,175: First, second and third-round pick

$6,268,175 -- $7,835,219: Two first-round picks, a second and third

$7,835,219 and higher: Four first-round picks

Last year he made 2,275,000. His next contract will be in the 1st and 3rd round pick range.

But, the Sabres will never do it. Attempting to pry a RFA from their team is a EXTREMELY BOLD move. Darcy is not that bold.

vCash
    I think if you gave Gagner 3.1 million a season and gave Edmonton a 2nd round pick, you'd be doing them a favour. Sam Gagner is a bum...

He wouldn't be a bad fit in Buffalo but a trade is a better option. Give them someone like T.J. Brennan and another prospect and I think they bite.

I don't understand the love for Sam Gagner though. He put up 47 points in 75 last season with 2nd line minutes. But you take out that 4 game stretch where he inexplicably turned into Wayne Gretzky and all of a sudden he puts up 33 points in 71 games...playing on the SECOND LINE!!! That's brutal...

vCash
    I know it won't happen, but I am still peeved at Edmonton for the Vanek move. Especially after the loss of Briere and Drury. Kicked us while we were down.

The more I look at what is out there, the less enthused I am about pursuing a center. Jordan Staal would have been perfect, but it was not going to happen. We should not give away the house just to get someone that may or may not work - you never know what will work with Lindy's style.

I am looking forward to see what Grigorenko can do - hopefully he works out and we have our top center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post
    I think if you gave Gagner 3.1 million a season and gave Edmonton a 2nd round pick, you'd be doing them a favour. Sam Gagner is a bum...

He wouldn't be a bad fit in Buffalo but a trade is a better option. Give them someone like T.J. Brennan and another prospect and I think they bite.

I don't understand the love for Sam Gagner though. He put up 47 points in 75 last season with 2nd line minutes. But you take out that 4 game stretch where he inexplicably turned into Wayne Gretzky and all of a sudden he puts up 33 points in 71 games...playing on the SECOND LINE!!! That's brutal...
    Playing on Edmonton. Put him on a good team and I'm sure he'd do better.

"Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by McJoe View Post

Totally agree with Joe. Gagner has never had fewer than 11 goals and never more than 18. Never fewer than 41 points and never more than 48. He's not worth the second round draft pick. Honestly a stretch would be two fourths.

Rachel Zane: You're a sneaky little boy.

vCash
    Also really where would you put him. I would give them Leino's contract and a third for Svensson. That's a deal that I'd be willing to wager on. LMAO and even then Magnus has regressed badly too.

vCash
    Another possible situation:

Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado is pretty good and an RFA. If Buffalo offer sheet'd him and they matched then Stastny might become available for trade. If they don't match we get a 21 year old center with lots of upside.

-Scott van Pelt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Another possible situation:

Ryan O'Reilly in Colorado is pretty good and an RFA. If Buffalo offer sheet'd him and they matched then Stastny might become available for trade. If they don't match we get a 21 year old center with lots of upside.
    Realistically I think O'Reilly is a better player than Stastny already. I would only really move for Stastny if they went for something realistic back.

vCash
    I read one article out of Denver that was saying one of the three should go - O'Reilly, Duchene, or Stastny. Duchene would be the one of the three I would like; actually Stastny would be last of the three.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    Realistically I think O'Reilly is a better player than Stastny already. I would only really move for Stastny if they went for something realistic back.
    Well, if you get O'Reilly he is 21. He will take a while and will be in the same group as girg, grig, hodg and ennis. Stastny would be more of a win now/leader/experience center.

-Scott van Pelt

vCash
    I know that Duchene had a bad year last year but if you can get him on the cheaper side then why not. He's only going to be 21 this year as well as O'Reilly. Crazy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Well, if you get O'Reilly he is 21. He will take a while and will be in the same group as girg, grig, hodg and ennis. Stastny would be more of a win now/leader/experience center.
    I understand this. But when you're changing the culture you need something more than what Statsny has. He's been falling off more and more each year. Maybe, it's his role, but take into consideration his contract as well I just find other options more palatable. I would hate to give up anything that youthful with high upside like an Armia etc for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GrkGawdofWalkz View Post
    I understand this. But when you're changing the culture you need something more than what Statsny has. He's been falling off more and more each year. Maybe, it's his role, but take into consideration his contract as well I just find other options more palatable. I would hate to give up anything that youthful with high upside like an Armia etc for him.
    Well you can go all young players and hope a few of them pan out (like Crosby/Malkin in Pitt) or you can mix young and old and have success for a longer time (Detroit).

I'm more of a fan of the latter. The former usually involves tanking a few seasons on purpose which Buffalo teams rarely do.

-Scott van Pelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast