Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

House passes Ron Paulís Ďaudit the Fedí bill

In a move that serves as a capstone to Rep. Ron Paulís colorful career, the House on Wednesday approved a bill that would let Congressís chief investigators conduct a full audit of the Federal Reserveís shrouded decision-making process.

The overwhelming 327-98 vote sends the bill to the Senate where Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat, has previously expressed support for an audit ó though itís unclear heíll carve out time for the legislation this year.

But House passage already marks a high-water mark for those who for years have been pushing for an audit, led by Mr. Paul. The Texas Republican rode the issue to prominence in two different presidential campaigns, and said the bill is a chance for Congress to begin to reclaim the money and banking powers it is given in the Constitution, but had delegated to the Fed.

ďIt is up to us to reassert ourselves,Ē Mr. Paul said during floor debate Tuesday.

Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke doesnít like the prospect of such a broad audit, calling it a ďnightmare scenarioĒ last week and saying it will lead to politicians second-guessing his decisions.

Opposition in Congress came chiefly from Democrats who said they doubt the bill ever becomes law ó but worried about sending a signal to financial markets that lawmakers want to intervene in financial affairs.

ďIt seems to me what weíre talking about is taking some fake punches at the Federal Reserve but not doing anything serious,Ē said Rep. Barney Frank, the ranking Democrat on the House Financial Services Committee.

The bill would grant the Government Accountability Office, which is Congressís chief investigative arm, the power to retroactively review the Fedís decision-making ó particularly on monetary policy.

Congress established the Federal Reserve nearly a century ago. The system, which consists of a board of governors and 12 regional banks, act as lenders of last resort to the countryís banking system, and it is charged both with fighting inflation and with promoting economic growth and employment.

The interest rates it sets have a direct impact on the rates charged by banks to consumers, but Congress shielded the boardís decision-making from view in order to give it independence.

After the recent financial collapse, many lawmakers have begun to question the Fedís decisions and want a closer look at what itís been doing.

Mr. Frank, though, said giving GAO powers to look at monetary policy is a precursor to Republicans trying to change the Fedís mission overall to focus solely on monetary policy, not employment.

Congress has okayed more limited audits of the Fed in recent years, and following through on that a GAO report last year found the Fed repeatedly invoked emergency authority to expand its lending during the Wall Street crisis in 2008 and 2009, including major loans to prop up the housing market.

The audit also found the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, which had a major role in the lending, did not have sufficient controls to prevent conflicts of interest for its employees.
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...udit-fed-bill/

Don't ask don't tell is back, not for gays in the military, Obama's policy for questions about Libya - Jay Leno

vCash
    Makes sense. Congress would love nothing more than to pass the blame for financial ruin to somebody else as soon as possible.

Hopefully this is a good thing, but as with every other major accomplishment our gov't makes (healthcare now, tax cuts 10 years ago, savings and loan....), I fully expect them to find a way to **** this up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Makes sense. Congress would love nothing more than to pass the blame for financial ruin to somebody else as soon as possible.

Hopefully this is a good thing, but as with every other major accomplishment our gov't makes (healthcare now, tax cuts 10 years ago, savings and loan....), I fully expect them to find a way to **** this up.
    This.

Finally having a bill that will audit the FED, seems almost too good to be true. Really hope that this is not the case, and we actually conduct this in the best way possible(if it becomes law).

vCash
    Am I the only one that is suspicious of this and thinks its an attempt to bring Ron Paul supporters to the GOP and to Romney?
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Am I the only one that is suspicious of this and thinks its an attempt to bring Ron Paul supporters to the GOP and to Romney?
    That would explain why Romney hasn't said a single word about this publicly...

I think if you want to be suspicious be suspicious of the fact Ron officially stopped taking over the state conventions for delegates in the middle of May and since then the GOP started to fly his audit through, Rand endorsed Romney, and Ron stopped campaigning. I'm suspicious of the fact a deal was made.

Romney clearly doesn't give a **** about getting the Paul people, as he probably shouldn't, since no amount of pandering is going to get them from either 1) Not Voting 2) Voting for Johnson 3) Writing in Ron Paul.
    Son, you just don't get it, i'm talking bout TWTW!