• Steelers

11 36.67%
  • GM's

2 6.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

NFL All Time Redraft Finals Steelers vs. Jets

NFL All Time Redraft

This is a game a number of us played in a sub forum. The object of the game was to make the best overall team win the super bowl. GMs could pick any player who has ever been in the AFL, or NFL and could only select a maximum of 2 active players to start on either side of the ball.

Vote for you believe has the best team.

The Steelers have home field advantage.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsforever
    The Jets

GMs: Jetsforever
    Code:
    Picks:
    1) Jerry Rice WR
    2) Ladanian Tomlinson RB
    3) Cris Carter WR
    4) Rickey Jackson OLB
    5) Mel Renfro CB
    6) Fran Tarkenton QB
    7) Curley Culp NT
    8) Dan Dierdorf OT
    9) Neil Smith, DE
    10) Sam Mills, ILB
    11) Robert Brazile, OLB
    12) Billy Shaw, G
    13) Rodney Harrison, SS
    14) Bob Kuechenberg, G
    15) Jake Scott, FS
    16) Red Grange, RB
    17) Wesley Walls, TE
    18) Derrick Mason, WR
    19) Nnamdi Asomugha, CB
    20) Trevor Pryce, DE
    21) Winston Hill, T
    22) Jeff Saturday, C
    23) William Fuller, OLB/DE
    24) Brent Jones, TE
    25) Vaughan Johnson, ILB

Free Agency Round:
    1)Keith Byars, FB 
    2)Terrell Buckley, CB
    3)Jeremiah Trotter, ILB
    4) George Blanda K/Backup QB
    5)Dave Jennings P
    The Offense (Pass first approach)

QB: Fran Tarkenton HOF, 374 Total Touchdowns (4th Most Passing), 6th Most Passing Yards, 80.6 QBR in an era when QBs had low ratings/he was good when the best QBs weren't.
    RB: Ladainian Tomlinson Future HOF, 2 time NFL rushing title winner, Most rushing yards in a season, 3rd most total touchdowns in NFL history (2nd rushing)
    RB2: Red Grange HOF. 1920s all Decade team, Retired number 77 by Bears, George Hallas referred to him as the greatest running back of all time.
    FB: Keith Byars A Mr. Do Everything. 610 receptions in his career, good at blocking, running and receiving. Had an 81 catch season.
    WR: Jerry Rice GOAT. HOF. Most touchdowns in NFL history. #1 on NFL Networks top 100 players of all time list
    WR2: Cris Carter Consistent snub for HOF. 8 pro bowls, 1990s All Decade Team, 4th on all time receptions list (1,001) and 4th most receiving touchdowns (130). 8th all time receiving yardage
    SlotWR: Derrick Mason Over 12,000 yards in his career and 66 receiving touchdowns, Ravens all time leading receiver, 2 All pro Season/Pro Bowls.
    TE: Wesley Walls One of the most dominant receiving tight ends that is not in the top tier. 450 receptions place him within the top 10 most reception by a TE. 5x Pro Bowler, 4x All Pro.
    TE2: Brent Jones 4x Pro Bowler, 4x All Pro, 3x Superbowl Champion, 417 receptions in his career as well as 5195 yards.
    RT: Dan Dierdorf HOF, 1970s All Decade Team, 3x NFC Oline Player of the Year NFLPA, 6x Pro Bowl
    RG: Bob Kuechenberg HOF, Stud DT Bob Lilly called him one of the greatest offensive lineman he ever saw, 6x Pro Bowler, 2x Superbowl Champ
    C: Jeff Saturday 5x Pro Bowler, excelled in shotgun snaps with Manning/Colts, 2007 Lineman of the year
    LG: Billy Shaw HOF, Made pro bowl ever single season of his career (8x), Bills 50th Anniversary team
    LT: Winston Hill 8x Pro Bowler, Greatest Jets Offensive Lineman, Jets All Time Team.

The Defense (3-4 Base)
    DE: Neil Smith104.5 sacks as a 3-4 DE, 6x Pro Bowler, 1990s' All Decade Team, One of the best 3-4 DEs ever
    NT: Curley Culp Best and Arguably creator of the 3-4 NT position, 69 sacks as a Nose Tackle (including 11.5 in one year), Chiefs and Oilers All Time Teams, 6 pro bowls, "Strongest Man"- Jim Otto
    DE: Trevor Pryce Denver Broncos 50th Anniversary Team, 4x Pro Bowler, 91 sacks as a 3-4 DE, Rex Ryan: "One of the best 3-4 DEs ever"
    OLB: Rickey Jackson HOF, 128 sacks (11th all time), 3-4 OLB superstar, 6 probowls, 10 or more sacks in 6 different seasons.
    ILB: Sam Mills 5 time Pro Bowler and fellow member of the Dome Patrol with Rickey Jackson. Jim Mora called him the best player he ever coached. One of the better ILBs to play in a 3-4 Defense.
    ILB: Vaughan Johnson 4x Pro Bowler, Member of the Greatest Linebacking Core in History "When I hit them," Johnson once said, "I like to see their eyes glaze over and roll back."
    OLB: Robert Brazile 1970s All Decade Team. 7 time Pro Bowler, 5 time AP, Made rushing a linebacker for pressure in a 3-4 a strategy. Fantastic at rushing the passer, in coverage and run support.
    Nickel OLB/DE: William Fuller 100 sack club, 4x Pro Bowl, 4x All Pro
    Rotational ILB: Jeremiah Trotter 4x Pro Bowler, 2x All Pro, Fantastic in Run support. The Axeman NUFF SAID
    CB: Mel Renfro HOF, 10 time probowler, 52 total interceptions in his career. 5 All Pro Season
    SS: Rodney Harrison One of only two members in the 30 sack/30 INT club, 4x All Pro, One of the most physical and intimidating safeties of all time. Charger and Patriots 50th Anniversary Teams, 8 turnovers in 7 postseason games including 2 Ints, a sack, FF and 7 tackles in Eagles-Pats SB.
    FS: Jake Scott 5x Pro Bowl, Superbowl MVP for Dolphins, 49 career INTs, among the best all time for a safety, Football digest defensive back of the year 1974. Miami Dolphins all time team
    CB: Nnamdi Asomugha One of the greatest cornerbacks in an era where playing the position is at its toughest, 4x All pro, 3x Cornerback,
    NickelCB: Terrell Buckley 50 interceptions in his career, One interception in 13 consecutive season (NFL record)

Special Teams
    K (and Backup QB): Joe Blanda- Was good at this.
    P: Dave Jennings - Was good at this
    Kick Return/Punt Return: Mel Renfro Led the league in return yards in 1964. Would have done better if he had more chances.

Why This Is A Fantastic Team
    Offensively, I just am not really sure how teams are going to be able to stop my offense. Jerry Rice may just be the best football player to ever walk on this earth. I don't think a team in this can stop Jerry Rice without doubling up on him. Look at how Deion Sanders and his team faired against Jerry. And the thing is, if you double cover him, you are leaving Cris Carter (arguably and in my opinion, a top 5 receiver of all time) on an island on the other side. In a lot of cases, that just isn't going to work out well. My receiving core is simply too good. Derick Mason in the slot is basically the perfect compliment as he could work the middle of the field. There really isn't a player on this offense that doesn't drastically help my offense in both the running game and the receiving game. All the players on my team are threats, whether it be the receivers being fantastic run blockers for the legendary LT and a strong backup in Red Grange or LT and my fullback both having over 80 receptions in a single season OUT of the backfield. With Fran Tarkenton at quarterback, #1 on the NFL's top 10 running quarterbacks list, you also have the threat of someone taking off and ruining your good coverage. Tarkenton was a fantastic quarterback who was such a multi threat. But just because he ran doesn't mean he couldn't pass. When guys like Namath and Bradshaw were struggling to put up a QB rating of 70, he was thriving and finished with over an 80. In that era it is impressive. And considering the lack of weapons around him on those great Viking teams, giving him Cris Carter and Jerry Rice as well as the tight ends and running backs to work the short game, this is scary. Also, this is an offensive line spearheaded by 2 hall of famers (good ones at that. Dierdorf is the man), 2 should be Hall of Famers and a center that has helped Peyton Manning develop into the QB he is. We are going to have time in the passing game for protection and lanes in the running lane.

On defense, this team is filled with playmakers. Operating out of a 3-4 defense, my defensive line ALONE has 269 sacks. I believe the core of a good defense starts right at the front with an amazing defensive line and I felt I built that. Curley Culp, the best nose tackle to ever play the game, centers the line and creates mismatches easily, which will help my linebackers and my explosive defensive ends penetrate lanes to create pressure and stop the run. For my linebackers, I was lucky enough to recreate the best linebacking core to ever play football, the dome patrol with arguably, an improvement by putting Brazile in replacement of Swilling. He was one of the first to be used as a 3-4 OLB passrusher but he was balanced all around. The front 7 of this team will cause a ton of damage and allow my playmakers in the secondary to make their mark. When one of my guys need a breather, my nickel OLB and occasional DE when we move into a 4-3 front is William Fuller who had over 100 sacks. Yes. My backup linebacker has 100 sacks. For the inside linebackers, Jeremiah Trotter, a ****ing warlord, will come in and likely kick ***.

I also love my secondary. My safeties are fantastic and clutch. Scott had nearly 50 INTs in his career and Rodney Harrison was the first person to EVER have 30 sacks and 30 INTs in his career. Both have such huge performances in the biggest games of their career (Scott won a Superbowl MVP, Harrison should have over Deion Branch against the Eagles) that they will help out in the secondary, especially in a playoff atmosphere. On the outside, Mel Renfro is amazing as is Asomugha. Both of these guys can lock down the opposition without a doubt in my mind. My nickelback, Terrell Buckley had 50 interceptions in his career. Plays will be made if you throw on this secondary.

In conclusion, my defense is made up of playmakers that can get the ball back to my offense. And when my offense is on the field, I just simply don't see how it can be stopped. 2 top 5 receivers, one of the best running backs, a solid offensive line and other weapons out of the slot and at tight end make this team a real threat.

Jets Write Up.

Why I beat the Steelers
    Can they stop the tandem of Jerry Rice and Chris Carter? I simply say no. Champ is a good cornerback all time but not good enough to handle either of these guys. If he wants to double up on one of them and look at the rest of my targets... I'll have one of my other amazing weapons wide open.

His right side of the DL isn't too great (for an all time team anyways). With them up against my strong side, I'll be able to run it down his throat with the great LT and Red Graham. Tarkenton's going to be able to run as well.

He has Brett Favre. Brett is going to throw a pick at the end of the game. Duh.

Outside of Hudson and Ditka, he really doesn't have very good receivers on his team. Keyshawn is good in the redzone, sure, but Aso will shut him down with ease. I don't really have to worry too much about his weapons besides Hudson and we will cover him. The lack of elite weapons means I should be ok.

Good job to Steel Curtain. I really hope I don't lose to you for the 3rd consecutive time I've been in a playoff match. Thanks..
    - Jets Write up.

vCash
    Steelers

Offense

QB: Brett Favre(Only player to ever win 3 straight NFL MVPs, All Time records include: Most career Passing yards, Most career Passing TDs, and Most career starts by a QB; #20 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #82 on TSN Top 100 Players of Al Time, 11-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 1990s NFL All Decade Team)
    RB: Steve Van Buren(3rd Ballot HOFer, NFL 75th Anniversary Team, All Time Two-Way Team, #58 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #77 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 6-time 1st Team All Pro, 4 rushing titles in 8 seasons, 1940s NFL All Decade Team)
    FB: Ernie Nevers(Inaugural Class HOFer, All Time Two-Way Team, #89 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, 5-time 1st Team All Pro in 5 year career, 1920s All Decade Team, Former Coach "Pop" Warner called Nevers "the football player without a fault")
    SE: Keyshawn Johnson(Career line of 814 receptions, 10571 rec. yards and 64 rec. TDs despite never playing with a top-notch QB, 3-time Pro Bowler, Great blocker and clutch receiver that could absorb devastating hits)
    LT: Willie Roaf(2nd Ballot HOFer, 11-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 1990s All Decade Team, 2000s NFL All Decade Team)
    LG: "Iron" Mike Michalske(2nd Class elected to HOF, First Guard elected to the HOF, 1920s NFL All Decade Team, 5-time 1st Team All Pro)
    C: Dermontti Dawson(6th Ballot HOFer, 1996 NFL Alumni Offensive Lineman of the Year, 7-time Pro Bowler, 6-time 1st Team All Pro, 1990s NFL All Decade Team)
    RG: Joe DeLamielleure(HOF, 1975 NFLPA Offensive Lineman of the Year, 1977 Forrest Gregg Award Offensive Lineman of the Year, 1970s NFL All Decade Team, 6-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro)
    RT: Wilbur "Pete" Henry(Inaugural Class Hall of Fame, 4-time 1st Team All Pro, 1920s All Decade Team, All-Time Two-Way Team, Largest player of his time but -- according to NFL HOF site -- "had the swift reflexes of a man-eating tiger")
    TE: "Iron" Mike Ditka(1st TE ever elected to HOF, NFL 75th Anniversary Team, #59 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #90 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 1961 NFL Rookie of the Year, 5-time Pro Bowler, 2-time 1st Team All Pro)
    Slot WR/RB2: Lenny Moore(3rd Ballot HOFer, 1956 NFL Rookie of the Year, 1964 NFL MVP and Comeback POY, #94 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #71 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 1950s NFL All Decade Team, 7-time Pro Bowler, 5-time 1st Team All Pro)
    FL: Don Hutson(Inaugural Class HOFer, NFL 75th Anniversary All Time Team, All Time Two-Way Team, #9 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #6 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 2-time NFL MVP, 8-time leading receiver in 11 year career, Held 18 NFL records at time of retirement, Then-record 99 receiving TDs stood as the highest career total for over 4 decades, 4-time Pro Bowler, 8-time 1st Team All Pro, 1930s All Decade Team)
    WR4: Lionel Taylor(Led the AFL in receptions 5 times in a 6 year stretch, First receiver to ever record a 100 catch season in 1961, 3-time Pro Bowler, 4-time 1st Team All Pro)

Defense

LDE: Willie Davis(HOF, #86 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #69 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 5-time Pro Bowler, 5-time 1st Team All Pro, 1960s NFL All Decade Team)
    DT: Alex Karras(#8 on NFL Network Top 10 Players not in the HOF, 4-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 1960s NFL All Decade Team)
    DT: Casey Hampton(Steelers All Time Team, 5-time Pro Bowler, Run-stuffing stud)
    RDE: Rich "Tombstone" Jackson(One of SI's 25 Hardest Hitters of All Time, AFL All Time Team, 3-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, SI's Dr. Z said that Tombstone Jackson "was perhaps the finest overall defensive end and pass rusher" he ever saw, "a surefire Hall of Famer if he would have had a longer playing career")
    WLB: Bobby Bell(3rd Ballot HOF, #66 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, #69 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, 9-time Pro Bowler, 6-time 1st Team All Pro, 1970s NFL All Decade Team, AFL All Time Team, Bell's Head Coach -- Hank Stram -- said about Bell "He could play all 22 positions on the field, and play them well")
    MLB: Willie Lanier(4th Ballot HOFer, NFL 75th Anniversary Team, #53 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #42 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, One of SI's 25 Hardest Hitters of All Time, 8-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 1972 NFL Man of the Year Award)
    SLB: Greg Lloyd(Steelers 75th Anniversary Team, 1994 UPI AFC Defensive Player of the Year, 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro)
    LCB: Roland "Champ" Bailey(11-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 2000s NFL All Decade Team, NFL Alumni Defensive Back of the Year 2005 & 2006)
    FS: Dick Anderson(1973 NFL Defensive Player of the Year, 1968 AFL Defensive Rookie of the Year, 1970s NFL All Decade Team, 1974 Walter Camp Man of the Year, 3-time Pro Bowler, 2-time 1st Team All Pro)
    SS: Donnie Shell(One of SI's 25 Hardest Hitters of All Time, Steelers 75th Anniversary Team, 2002 HOF Finalist, 5-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, 51 career INTs)
    RCB: Jim Thorpe(AP Greatest Athlete of the 1st half of the 20th Century, ESPN 7th Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century, Member of the Inaugural Class of the Pro Football HOF, #37 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #88 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 1920s All Decade Team)
    Nickelback: Dale Carter(1992 AP Defensive Rookie of the Year, Only 24 career INTs because QBs avoided him, Randy Moss compared playing against Revis and Cromartie to playing against Carter and Hasty, 4-time Pro Bowler)
    Big Dime Free Safety: Don Hutson(30 career INTs in 6 seasons playing defense)

3-4 Sub-Package Front 7

LDE: Jerome Brown(2-time Pro Bowler and 2-time 1st Team All Pro although he died in the prime of his career at age 27 in the offseason after his 5th season in the NFL)
    NT: Casey Hampton
    DT: Alex Karras
    LOLB: Greg Lloyd
    MIKE: Willie Lanier
    BUCK: Bobby Bell
    ROLB: Bryce Paup(1995 AP Defensive Player of the Year, 4-time Pro Bowler, 1-time 1st Team All Pro)

Special Teams

P: Ray Guy(NFL 75th Anniversary Team, 7-time HOF Finalist, 7-time Pro Bowler, 3-time 1st Team All Pro, Top 5 in punting average 9 of his first 11 seasons)
    K: Gary Anderson(Perfect season of 94-94 on FG and XP attempts in 1998, 1980s All Decade Team, 1990s All Decade Team, 4-time Pro Bowler, 1-time 1st Team All Pro)
    PR/KR: Jim Thorpe(AP Greatest Athlete of the 1st half of the 20th Century, ESPN 7th Greatest Athlete of the 20th Century, Member of the Inaugural Class of the Pro Football HOF, #37 on NFL Network Top 100 Players of All Time, #88 on TSN Top 100 Players of All Time, 1920s All Decade Team)
    Special Teams Captain/Gunner: Steve Tasker(5-time Hall of Fame Semi-Finalist, #9 on NFL Network Top 10 Players Not in the Hall of Fame, 7-time Pro Bowler, 7-time All Pro, Bills 50th Anniversary All Time Team, Head Coach Marv Levy once called Tasker the most important man on the Bills' roster)

vCash
    I honestly think the Steelers are a perfect team.

vCash
    Wow, ebbs. Thanks. homestar said he'd post match-ups once he got our write-ups........

smh

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Yeah I got that PM too. I sent my writeup to Homie so he must have sent it to ebbs for it to be posted

vCash
    Umm I posted in the seedlings thread, homestar hasn't posted any playoff matchups how was I supposed to know he pmed you about posting these.

vCash
    Jets offense is incredible, but Steelers might have a better overall team. Tough

vCash
    Wow, Jets have a good team but no way should it be 7-2.

vCash
    Geez ebbs. I was going to post it, but then you said you would in the thread. Oh well. We can re-do it if SC wants to get a write up done.

I vote Steelers BTW.

vCash
    How would I know that though?

vCash
    It's all good. We're tied up now. It'll be a fun final. Good luck jf.

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    Just a few notes about the match-ups.

1) jf noted that Hutson and Ditka were the only receiving weapons he has to worry about. That works great for me, as Hutson is indisputably a top 3 WR of All Time(#2 IMO) and he is not even considering Lenny Moore. For those who don't know him, Moore was the guy that made what Marshall Faulk and Tomlinson did as RBs possible. Click the link in my clubby and you'll see how amazing he truly was. So if jf doesn't bother with worrying about Moore, he'll eat up chunks of yardage all day.

2) Assuming Favre throws a pick at the end is silly. Favre was the only player EVER to win 3 MVPs. I think he'll be fine with his All HOF Offensive Line protecting him and facing a comparatively extremely weak secondary.

3) The right side of my DL is nbowhere near a weakness. Who runs on Casey Hampton when teams play the Steelers? At his peak, Hampton was clearly the best run stuffer in the game. Also, to downplay "Tombstone" because he had a shortened career is sad. Jackson is one of the greatest DEs to not be in the HOF. Someday he will get in. He was an absolute menace against the pass and the run. I recommend those who haven't heard of him take the time to look him up.

4) No one will ever shut Rice down, but Champ Bailey is good enough to slow Rice down. Jim Thorpe was an amazing athlete and will also contain Carter, not permitting a breakout day.

5) All in all, the Jets have an amazing offense, but my defense is strong enough to slow them down. On defense, the Jets are simply not good enough to stop the Steelers as often as the Steelers will be able to stop them.

6) In any close game, special teams can make all the difference in the world. This is a close game. With the greatest punter to ever play the game -- Ray Guy -- and the greatest gunner -- Steve Tasker -- the Steelers will flip the field whenever we don't score. This will force the Jets to go much further in attempts to score and will open up more chances for the Steelers' opportunistic Defense to force turnovers and get stops.

Great team and good luck jf.

BloodHawk is Da Man!

Steelers All Time Team

vCash
    fantastic matchup, both teams are REALLY good.

In the end I love that Jets O to win the game. It will be a tight one but I see the Jets scoring on the last possession for the W.

vCash
    Don't really see how my secondary is a weakness Steel. Rodney Harrison and Jake Scott both had their biggest games in a superbowl and they both had very good careers. They are far from terrible and they'd be able to slow down the weapons they are up against. Mel Renfro was a monster, a 10x pro bowler and he'd be able to at the very least slow down Hudson. Johnson on the outside wouldn't generate anything against Aso.

Also, I thik Jerry Rice would basically murder Champ Bailey in this matchup. Seriously, look how Deion and his teams did against Jerry. Deion is one of the best cover corners ever and even he couldn't stop Jerry.

As for the Favre thing, I was joking .
    Last edited by jetsforever; 07-16-2012 at 03:07 PM.

vCash
    Jets offense is just too much to handle for the stacked Steelers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast