Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 77
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T.O
    Posts
    503
    vCash
    500

    In hindsight, Was the Firing of Brian Burke a Smart Idea?

    I know this topic has been discussed alot inbetween threads however one cannot help but feel bad for Brian Burke. Yes Yes we know he couldnt transform the team instantly into a winner but most of the players who are currently making this team amazing were Brian Burke aquisitions.
    Lupul...JVR...Kessel to name a few.

    It is almost like Nonis gets paid to manage the winner that BB built....


    Does the firing of Brian Burke look bad in hindsight considering how good the team he put together is playing?
    Do The Twirk

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    I'm one of the big Burke haters on here and I won't apologize for that. That being said there's no doubt he's done some good things and some bad things. I'd still like to see this team play an 82 game schedule before I come to any concrete conclusions. No telling how things would shape up with an additional 34 games added on. You have to wonder if he would of made some of the decisions Nonis made with Connolly, Komisarek ect. because of his stubborness seeing that he signed those guys, but we'll never know.

    If this team ends up as consistant contenders I'll back off some of the statements I've made about the guy and eat a little crow but it's too early too tell after 1 crapshoot season. I'm just glad I don't have to listen to him anymore. Burke probably would still be the GM of this team right now but it appears his questionable conduct is what eventually got him fired. Still don't know everything about that either.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T.O
    Posts
    503
    vCash
    500
    True regarding connolly and komy. Ive always wondered if BB firing was less to do with his ability as a GM and more to do with the new owners not liking him. However, if you really think they had strong confidence in BB as a GM and his vision, it would trump someones distate for the man.
    Do The Twirk

  4. #4
    Lavy16 is offline Users Awaiting Moderation
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    7,295
    vCash
    1500
    I really don't feel for Brian Burke at all (outside of what happened to his son). I won't argue the fact that he made some good moves while in Toronto (he made some bad ones too), but his personality is what held him back. How many GM's hold a news conference when they move Colton Orr to the minors? Brian Burke's biggest problem was he wanted to be the center of the universe. He was trying to be bigger than the game.

    I'm glad Nonis took over. How many news conferences has he held? I'd bet the average hockey fan couldn't pick him out of a police line-up. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the fact that him and Burke got along.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    Trying to get Don Cherry fired too and going back and forth at the CBC during the season didn't really help him at all. It was fine for the first year or maybe even the 2nd that he was the face of the franchise because the team was in shambles and they needed him to do that. But up until he got canned he still had himself as the face of the team and after so much time with no results that becomes unacceptable. It seems to be more of what he did outside of transactions that resulted in him getting canned I would agree.

    What really screwed Burke over was his own ego and his loyalty to Ron Wilson. He waited far too long to fire Rotten Ronnie. Then in typical Burke fashion he throws his buddy Wilson under the bus and blames him and his style for the type of team he(Burke) put together. Can't imagine ownership took that lightly.
    Last edited by KingerSox; 04-21-2013 at 01:20 PM.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,599
    vCash
    1500
    Burke deserved to be fired. This is his team but who knows what he would have done to try to get this team someone at the deadline. Burke has left us with a couple horrible contracts because he didn't have a vision for the future.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Trying to get Don Cherry fired too and going back and forth at the CBC during the season didn't really help him at all.
    More people should be trying to get Don Cherry fired.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    ^
    Why?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    ^
    Why?
    He's a xenophobic inarticulate hypocritical redneck.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    Exactly why tons of people watch him and will continue to watch him. I disagree with him more often than not and he clearly has tunnel vision most of the time but he entertains and entertains well. As long as people watch they'll keep bringing him back and there's more than enough that watch.

    Brian Burke had more important issues to worry about than bickering with the CBC.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    T.O
    Posts
    503
    vCash
    500
    While you hate him, much of the older generation (Like my grandpa and my father) love cherry.
    Do The Twirk

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    Exactly why tons of people watch him and will continue to watch him. I disagree with him more often than not and he clearly has tunnel vision most of the time but he entertains and entertains well. As long as people watch they'll keep bringing him back and there's more than enough that watch.

    Brian Burke had more important issues to worry about than bickering with the CBC.
    They have ratings because they have the Saturday night Leafs game every week.

    Even if he was the cause of good ratings for CBC, and I'm not conceding that, the CBC is a publicly funded television station and to employ a idiot and a bigot is an embarrassment.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by mtf View Post
    They have ratings because they have the Saturday night Leafs game every week.

    Even if he was the cause of good ratings for CBC, and I'm not conceding that, the CBC is a publicly funded television station and to employ a idiot and a bigot is an embarrassment.
    That idiot and bigot is beloved by the better part of an entire country whether you agree with what he says or not. He's a Canadian Icon. I didn't decide this either it's just the way it is. He's as Canadian as the loonie. If the majority of the country felt about this the way you do then yes Cherry would of been gone long ago. Clearly you're in the minority but your are entitled to your opinion.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    4,064
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KingerSox View Post
    That idiot and bigot is beloved by the better part of an entire country whether you agree with what he says or not. He's a Canadian Icon. I didn't decide this either it's just the way it is. He's as Canadian as the loonie. If the majority of the country felt about this the way you do then yes Cherry would of been gone long ago. Clearly you're in the minority but your are entitled to your opinion.
    I'm well aware that he's popular and that I'm in the minority, this isn't news to me. That is not a good enough reason to put up with him.

    Simply classifying him as a Canadian Icon shouldn't be immunity to judgment. I assume you're a Canadian citizen, so if I asked you as a Canadian do you really want an idiot, a xenophobe, and a hypocrite as a representative of Canada (without mentioning the name Don Cherry) would you say yes?

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Posts
    6,615
    vCash
    1500
    People love him. You don't. You're the one "putting up" with him. Not the majority of the population that watches HNIC. While I admit he's not the brightest bulb in the fixture I wouldn't exactly call him an idiot. Again "idiot" is your opinion, not the opinion of others. So when you ask me or others if they want an idiot on TV it carries no weight knowing you say that only reflecting your personal opinion not others. Can't really answere your question under those bias circumstances.

    You know it's been a boring day when you're debating this lol.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •