Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Baltimore now, but born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post

You essentially contradict your statement when you at first claim she's more qualified yet she cannot carry any influence with Romney. I didn't agree with essentially anything in your post. At least we're consistently opposed.
    it really doesn't. In modern history there has only been one vp with any solid influence over the president. The office of vp is not one that hold alot of weight and influence over the president... This is his point I do believe.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by John X Doe View Post
    I can't let this hit-and-run statement go unchallenged.
    Mitt ran a state as governor and ran very successful businesses. He's demonstrated great leadership skills necessary for leading a country. I can't agree that Rice is somehow more qualified. She never ran anything. She did a great job as Secretary of State but this doesn't hold some sort of trump card over governorship and especially business which is critical experience today. But the point is moot. Rice never ran for president. And what's with this "presonality"? Don't vote on emotion, please. He's actually liked by many, many people. You make it sound like a junior high popularity contest. Sorry but it pains me to see such reasons of justifications for voting for the most infuential public official in our country. Seems like a bit reckless of a comment.

Moreover, I think this is just a trial balloon to see Mitt's numbers going against Obama with Rice vice the so-called "white sandwich" alternatives. And the numbers are proving that she would really help Mitt. 66/24 - favorable/unfavorable ratings. That's unheard of.
    Personally, I'd like to see her on the ticket as she brings overseas diplomatic strength that no other front-runners possess. That team brings much more to the table than Obama/Biden.

You essentially contradict your statement when you at first claim she's more qualified yet she cannot carry any influence with Romney. I didn't agree with essentially anything in your post. At least we're consistently opposed.
    Forgive me if I actually would feel more comfortable with her in office. I think Romney is a pretty awful man.

To the point that Romney "ran very successful business" is extremely debatable. She was Secretary of State. Maybe she didn't outsource several jobs or bankrupt companies, but I think her resume would suffice. And lastly, you can save your approval or disapproval for somebody else. I won't be sleeping any bit less because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    it really doesn't. In modern history there has only been one vp with any solid influence over the president. The office of vp is not one that hold alot of weight and influence over the president... This is his point I do believe.
    Indeed it is.
    You're talking to me all wrong... It's the wrong tone. You do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Hey, tell me, does your mother sew? BOOM. Get her to sew that!

vCash
    She may do more harm than good in states with larger evangelical populations. A vp rarely gains many votes but with Romney's shaky abortion stance, putting a pro-abortion vp on the ticket would do harm in states like Virginia, Florida, the Carolinas, etc. States where 1/2 a percentage point would hurt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjazzno12fan View Post
    She may do more harm than good in states with larger evangelical populations. A vp rarely gains many votes but with Romney's shaky abortion stance, putting a pro-abortion vp on the ticket would do harm in states like Virginia, Florida, the Carolinas, etc. States where 1/2 a percentage point would hurt.
    i saw george will had the same opinion on This Morning. Would make for interesting viewing of the convention though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by utahjazzno12fan View Post
    Very interesting. Thanks for passing that along. I still think it's a trial balloon and one that will pop in favor of Pawlenty who has relished the 2nd banana role. He has more conviction speaking on behalf of Romney than he did for himself. We'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    Well, in this race, a little could go a long way. It's very tight in many battleground states. Any edge could tip the scales. And any mistake could prove fatal. I believe the selection could prove critical.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    i saw george will had the same opinion on This Morning. Would make for interesting viewing of the convention though.
    The social conservatives are all in a tizzy over this. Its a wonder since they all loved her a few years ago.

I love it. I hate where the social conservatives are trying to take the GOP, and this would be a great move that would yield results in the election, IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsfan56 View Post
    The social conservatives are all in a tizzy over this. Its a wonder since they all loved her a few years ago.

I love it. I hate where the social conservatives are trying to take the GOP, and this would be a great move that would yield results in the election, IMO.
    I still think that if McCain had stuck to his guns and picked Lieberman he would have actually had a shot. I think today a McCain-Lieberman ticket would win by 5-7 % points. Independents are itching for a reason to vote. And there are more of them then either republicans or democrats. Being a liberal I hope Romney picks a social conservative, it makes winning the center a lot easier.

vCash

I agree with you. The reason I suspect you don't like them is the same reason why many on the left don't like the far left congressmen. They are hypocritical to the nth degree. They spout off about personal liberty until its something th don't want you doing. Then it becomes a legislative issue. They want a legal code to match their morals and not one that follows any logical structure.

I think there are a lot of things that I either joke "should be illegal" or would really like to see illegal but can distinguish between my personal views and what powers I don't have as a representative.
    Member of the Owlluminati!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    I agree with you. The reason I suspect you don't like them is the same reason why many on the left don't like the far left congressmen. They are hypocritical to the nth degree. They spout off about personal liberty until its something th don't want you doing. Then it becomes a legislative issue. They want a legal code to match their morals and not one that follows any logical structure.

I think there are a lot of things that I either joke "should be illegal" or would really like to see illegal but can distinguish between my personal views and what powers I don't have as a representative.
    Yep I can get behind that.

vCash

there is an argument to be made that Romney should do this because the social conservatives have no one else to vote for. They will vote for whoever is running against Obama and Romney is that guy.

If I was a Republican, I would also be concerned about the Tea Party/Social Conservative effect on the party. As we've discussed in the other thread, they've managed to alienate African-Americans. Now, they're trying to alienate Hispanic-Americans. Not sure whose next, but they seem resourceful.

My guess Romney will end up doing the same thing Obama did and go the 'Old White Guy that can be president if I die' route. Romney seems extra cautious about his political choices, so I don't expect him to be any different this time.

vCash
    And a surprise name is now near the top of the list: Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice!
    I can't tell if this is sarcasm, but if not, how in any way is it a surprise that she's being considered.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyFan View Post
    there is an argument to be made that Romney should do this because the social conservatives have no one else to vote for. They will vote for whoever is running against Obama and Romney is that guy.

If I was a Republican, I would also be concerned about the Tea Party/Social Conservative effect on the party. As we've discussed in the other thread, they've managed to alienate African-Americans. Now, they're trying to alienate Hispanic-Americans. Not sure whose next, but they seem resourceful.

My guess Romney will end up doing the same thing Obama did and go the 'Old White Guy that can be president if I die' route. Romney seems extra cautious about his political choices, so I don't expect him to be any different this time.
    As long as Romney doesn't choose TPaw I'll be fine with the choice.

I think Rubio is the no brainer choice. He doesn't have much experience but he's extremely bright and would bring a lot of excitement to the ticket. And if he can match Jon Stewart blow by blow in a debate, he'll wipe the floor with Biden.

vCash
    As bad as it seems, she seems to be one of the few VP potentials who have been talked about that does have foreign policy experience. A lot of the other folks have managed on a state level.

Zep is offline Another Caucasian, Gary.
    vCash
    I can guarantee that Condi will not be selected for VP.

Behold, the definitive list of GOP VP picks who have been pro-chocie (as Condi is):

Thanks to vick27m for the userbar.

A little nonsense, now and then, is relished by the wisest men.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast