Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Making the Hawks a contender again in one risky move.

To Colorado: Viktor Stalberg, Michael Frolik, Brandon Pirri, and Chicago's 1st round pick in 2014.
    To Chicago: Paul Stastny

FORWARDS
    Patrick Sharp ($5.900m) / Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m)
    Brandon Saad ($0.894m) / Paul Stastny ($6.600m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)
    Jeremy Morin ($0.887m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Andrew Shaw ($0.565m)
    Daniel Carcillo ($0.825m) / Marcus Kruger ($0.900m) / Jamal Mayers ($0.650m)
    Bryan Bickell ($0.542m) /
    Brandon Bollig ($0.575m) /

DEFENSEMEN
    Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($5.800m)
    Niklas Hjalmarsson ($3.500m) / Nick Leddy ($1.117m)
    Johnny Oduya ($3.383m) / Steve Montador ($2.750m)
    Sheldon Brookbank ($1.250m) /

GOALTENDERS
    Corey Crawford ($2.667m)
    Ray Emery ($1.150m)
    ------

SALARY CAP: $70,200,000; CAP PAYROLL: $66,742,628; BONUSES: $817,500
    CAP SPACE (23-man roster): $3,457,372

Colorado gets a promising young LW, a young center on the verge of making an NHL roster, our first round pick in 2014 and takes Frolik to help alleviate some salary. In return, the Hawks get the talented 2nd line center they've desperately been needing and a guy who can add some punch to the 2nd powerplay unit.

This deal is risky because it relies on Saad and Morin both being ready and able to make the NHL roster. There are some in house options if they don't, like Bickell, Smith, and Hayes. There is also the option of making a late August cheapo depot signing like Andrew Brunette to fill in.

We'd be a good $3.5 million under the cap, which gives us some wiggle room for a deadline deal. I realize that the defense remains largely untouched and still lacks a physical 3/4 guy, but addressing one of the two glaring weaknesses makes this team better. A mid-season trade to bring in a physical 3/4 defenseman can always be made. Olsen would also fill in for Montador should he not be ready to go by October.

Bolland has two seasons left before he is unrestricted in the summer of 2014. By then, McNeill should be able to step in as the checking center and we would get salary relief with a Bolland deal, which could land us a 1st round pick to replace the one traded to Colorado or at the very least some very good talent.

It's a risky move, but it needs to be made. We're not far from being a contender and we're in a great position to do some wheeling and dealing. I'd be very comfortable with this roster for the time being, with hope that some roster tweaking can solve our 2nd defensive pairing and goaltender issues in the near future.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    Once again, i thought something happened when I seen this had its own thread.

It probably should be in the blackhawks offseason rumors, ideas, and updates thread.
    Last edited by cubsbears1225; 07-13-2012 at 08:24 AM.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    I know Stastny would upgrade this team and this deal would benefit both sides but Im not a huge fan of Stastny. Hes a very soft player for a decent sized guy.
    FOLLOW ME ON TWITTER ChiTownGuido23

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cubsbears1225 View Post
    I know Stastny would upgrade this team and this deal would benefit both sides but Im not a huge fan of Stastny. Hes a very soft player for a decent sized guy.
    Stastny definitely isn't soft. He's average sized, but he plays a game similar to Sharp. Not afraid of contact or high traffic areas. And best of all he can make a powerplay go!

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    This is a fantastic trade. I don't think your line-up is near reality though.

Carcillo-Toews-Kane
    Sharp-Stastny-Hossa
    Bickell-Bolland-Hayes
    Shaw-Kruger-Mayers
    Bollig
    Smith

Seabrook-Keith
    Oduya-Leddy
    Hammer-Monty
    Brookbank
    Olsen

Crawford
    Emery

I would love to see a follow-up trade that better aligns our D.

But, the Hawks will have a ton of forward combos to play with around Toews-Stastny-Bolland. Each of those centers plays a firm, identifiable role.
    Jacques Plante- Goaltending is a normal job, sure. How would you like it in your job if every time you made a small mistake, a red light went on over your desk and 15,000 people stood up and yelled at you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tulanehockey View Post
    This is a fantastic trade. I don't think your line-up is near reality though.

Carcillo-Toews-Kane
    Sharp-Stastny-Hossa
    Bickell-Bolland-Hayes
    Shaw-Kruger-Mayers
    Bollig
    Smith

Seabrook-Keith
    Oduya-Leddy
    Hammer-Monty
    Brookbank
    Olsen

Crawford
    Emery

I would love to see a follow-up trade that better aligns our D.

But, the Hawks will have a ton of forward combos to play with around Toews-Stastny-Bolland. Each of those centers plays a firm, identifiable role.
    Yea, I went a bit heavy on the young talent there. Glad to see a Hawks fan in New Orleans!

I do think Saad will make the lineup. I think he probably takes the place of Hayes on your 23-man. That's still a damn good lineup and one that I'd be comfortable with moving forward. I agree about a follow-up trade that better aligns that D. If you can go get a Stastny now, that takes care of one huge need, and you can afford to look for that D trade throughout the regular season. I like that lineup a lot, especially with Saad in.

1934 1938 1961 2010 2013

vCash
    i thought i missed something for a minute. too much to give up for Stastny IMO